New handle for a cheap knife...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
remnar

New handle for a cheap knife...

Post by remnar »

I was visiting with a friend recently when he handed me two inexpensive Schrade Bowie knives. He said, "here, why don't you put some new handles on these and you can keep one of them." I've only made one other knife handle but I love to dabble so I told him that I would give it a try. He also handed me an old Winchester rifle stock and asked if I could use it to make the handle on his knife. My friend likes old traditional designs so I modeled his handle after on old Western Bowie W49 model. Enough with the story... here are the pics.

The guard is soldered...not professional quality but I think I did ok for a first time...

I added some extra flare to the handle for a more secure grip.

It was finished with several coats of Tru-Oil and paste wax. I hope he's happy with it. :)
The Deacon

Re: New handle for a cheap knife...

Post by The Deacon »

He better be happy with it, that's darn fine work. :)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Nice! That really elevates the whole piece.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

100 times better. Well done
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's so much nicer!! Honestly, great job. I'd be more than happy to receive that knife back!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Very pretty work, Remnar.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Thanks for the kind words everyone. :) I have a Mule and another knife that also need scales and this was good practice. :spyder:
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Great work! I bet your friend is stoked about his knife.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Xplorer wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:52 am
Thanks, that's a big compliment coming from you. BTW do you have a youtube channel or a link to any handle making videos that you've posted?

I delivered the knife on Sunday and my friend was very happy with the work that I did. We agreed that he now needs a good sheath to keep it in. :)
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

remnar wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:07 am
Xplorer wrote:
Thanks, that's a big compliment coming from you. BTW do you have a youtube channel or a link to any handle making videos that you've posted?

I delivered the knife on Sunday and my friend was very happy with the work that I did. We agreed that he now needs a good sheath to keep it in. :)
I don't have any knife videos on Youtube. Thank you for asking. I just post some pics on Instagram to log my progress and try to stay focused on learning new techniques and moving forward. But, if you ever want to discuss a project you're doing I'm willing to help if I can.

I agree with you and your friend, that big knife needs a nice custom leather sheath now. :D Sounds like you have a new project ;) . Have you ever worked with leather? I'll talk you through it if you need any help.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Xplorer wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:01 am
remnar wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:07 am
Xplorer wrote:

I don't have any knife videos on Youtube. Thank you for asking. I just post some pics on Instagram to log my progress and try to stay focused on learning new techniques and moving forward. But, if you ever want to discuss a project you're doing I'm willing to help if I can.

I agree with you and your friend, that big knife needs a nice custom leather sheath now. :D Sounds like you have a new project ;) . Have you ever worked with leather? I'll talk you through it if you need any help.
Thanks for the offer of help! I might take you up on that when I decide to put scales on some of my other knives. Your work is inspiring and always look great.

I haven't really done any leather work but I would like to give it a try. What tools and supplies would you suggest for someone that wants to make the occassional sheath?
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

remnar wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:27 am

Thanks for the offer of help! I might take you up on that when I decide to put scales on some of my other knives. Your work is inspiring and always look great.

I haven't really done any leather work but I would like to give it a try. What tools and supplies would you suggest for someone that wants to make the occassional sheath?
First of all, you've been fairly warned ;) . You might just find leather work rather enjoyable and end up with an entire leather work station...

This is nothing but leather working tools I've added in the past year. :o

For a start-up kit, you can definitely make sheaths and do a lot of other leather projects with just these pieces...

If you have any questions about what any of the pieces are or why you need them let me know. It's a fairly inexpensive kit considering the new ability it gives you. All you'll need to add is leather, dye, thread and some sort of oil, wax or sealer if you want. :)
remnar

Post by remnar »

Thanks a lot for the information. I can see another rabbit hole in my future. :D