What knives are you buying with your stimulus $$?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DSH007

Re: What knives are you buying with your stimulus $$?

Post by DSH007 »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:51 am
Well, here's the grail knife I splurged on. Truly a work of art, imo. I've lusted after these since I first saw them, and I'm not sure yet if I'll actually carry this or just frame it. ;) :p It honestly makes me feel giddy each time I hold it, it's so pretty.
So, so pretty.. until you flip it over! Hahah a pocket clip has never ruined a knife for me quite like the duck-billed platypus skull on Chaves knifes! :p

I'm glad you like it though! I quite like it from that angle too! :D
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:53 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:07 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Well, here's the grail knife I splurged on. Truly a work of art, imo. I've lusted after these since I first saw them, and I'm not sure yet if I'll actually carry this or just frame it. ;) :p It honestly makes me feel giddy each time I hold it, it's so pretty.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/xXXjPq9.jpg[/img
Wow that is a beauty! What maker/brand?
It's a Chavez Liberation 229. This is a production version of his custom model, made by Reate. Urban EDC did this exclusive version with the wave milling pattern.

There's also a flipper version, which will probably be my next splurge when I can find one.
Very nice! :cool:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DSH007 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:36 pm
JuPaul wrote:
So, so pretty.. until you flip it over! Hahah a pocket clip has never ruined a knife for me quite like the duck-billed platypus skull on Chaves knifes! :p

Yeah, the Chavez clips are polarizing, to say the least. Not my usual style, to be sure, but on this model and with this finish the skull thingy blends in pretty well. I can overlook it, but I do wish he offered others.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:12 pm
DSH007 wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Yeah, the Chavez clips are polarizing, to say the least. Not my usual style, to be sure, but on this model and with this finish the skull thingy blends in pretty well. I can overlook it, but I do wish he offered others.
Haha "polarizing" is much more diplomatic than I can put it, thank you.. hmmm I bet there's a nice little business to be made from aftermarket Chaves clips.. haha that does seem to be the prevailing gripe about his knives.. :p
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

If I end up splurging on a CRK I don't think I'm going to go for a (I can't believe these words are coming out of my fingertips) "base model" If I'm spending $400+ on a knife, I want to be a bit different and to pop a bit. That said, so far while browsing I've found 2 that kind of interest me. Something about those Bog Oak inlays and that subtle touch of gold, I like. I'm amazed at how many variations of these expensive knives there are out there and almost all of them are sold out!

The first is more practical, and the 2nd is just a bit more fancy and would probably require some alcohol to submit it into my cart. I could always wait and hope for other variations to come around too. Not sure what I want to do yet! I do know I'd prefer DLT or KC, since I don't get charged tax and also acquire rewards points that would be HUGE on a purchase like this.

https://www.dlttrading.com/chris-reeve- ... ay-23-1216
https://www.dlttrading.com/chris-reeve- ... nlay-3-128
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:03 pm
If I end up splurging on a CRK I don't think I'm going to go for a (I can't believe these words are coming out of my fingertips) "base model" If I'm spending $400+ on a knife, I want to be a bit different and to pop a bit. That said, so far while browsing I've found 2 that kind of interest me. Something about those Bog Oak inlays and that subtle touch of gold, I like. I'm amazed at how many variations of these expensive knives there are out there and almost all of them are sold out!

The first is more practical, and the 2nd is just a bit more fancy and would probably require some alcohol to submit it into my cart. I could always wait and hope for other variations to come around too. Not sure what I want to do yet! I do know I'd prefer DLT or KC, since I don't get charged tax and also acquire rewards points that would be HUGE on a purchase like this.

100%. if you're going to spend $400, a little more to make it more special to you is a no-brainer.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:13 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

100%. if you're going to spend $400, a little more to make it more special to you is a no-brainer.
Totally agree. If I were ever to get a "base" model I'd want to get it customized anyhow, to make it my own. So might as well just buy the more unique model to start with.

Rick, if you do get a CRK I definitely want to hear your thoughts. I've heard the action is pretty different on a CRK compared to a Spydie.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

Do Knivesshipfree or REC charge sales tax? Can't remember. They both have rewards programs, though, and KSF has a big selection of CRKs, I see.

I love the wood inlays. I'm partial to the Spalted Beech myself.
- Julia

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:32 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Do Knivesshipfree or REC charge sales tax? Can't remember. They both have rewards programs, though, and KSF has a big selection of CRKs, I see.

Thanks for the heads up on those guys! I'll check them out tomorrow morning. I'm seriously mind blown at how many variations they have. Any idea how many they produce for a typical drop?

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:37 pm
JuPaul wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on those guys! I'll check them out tomorrow morning. I'm seriously mind blown at how many variations they have. Any idea how many they produce for a typical drop?
I really have no idea. From what I see on IG, the unique graphic ones seem to trickle out a few at a time. But I have no idea how CRK releases the regular and inlaid ones.
- Julia

M Sea

Post by M Sea »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:12 pm
DSH007 wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

The Chaves Redencion 3.25” with the green micarta is my 2021 grail knife for sure. Yours Chaves gorgeous!!!
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:51 am
My $600 came in today. Planning to get myself a Cold Steel Recon Tanto and maybe a Leatherman Signal. The rest I'll save for more practical endeavors :D
Lol! Just bought a Recon 1 tanto (as well as a slew of 4Max's;)
Good choice!

Edit to add:
Vivi, have you checked out the 4Max Scout? Strikes me it would fit your monster paws quite well :)
Its a lot of knife for the money!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Cycletroll wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:32 am
vivi wrote:
My $600 came in today. Planning to get myself a Cold Steel Recon Tanto and maybe a Leatherman Signal. The rest I'll save for more practical endeavors :D
Good choice!

Edit to add:
Vivi, have you checked out the 4Max Scout? Strikes me it would fit your monster paws quite well :)
I haven't tried any modern Cold Steel folders besides the Voyagers. The recon series looks nice and I may pick up a bowie or spear point. I'm planning to go on a road trip at the end of the month....I'll try to swing by a knife shop and handle those and the 4max while I'm on the road.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:

Ugghhh...this just made my decision MUCH more difficult haha! You're not kidding, what an amazing selection! Spalted Beech definitely has a few that look very nice. Heck, I wasn't even sold on whether I wanted the Small or Large 21. Now I have all these other alternatives to look into :p

-Rick
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:33 pm
Cycletroll wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:32 am
vivi wrote:
Good choice!

Edit to add:
I haven't tried any modern Cold Steel folders besides the Voyagers. The recon series looks nice and I may pick up a bowie or spear point. I'm planning to go on a road trip at the end of the month....I'll try to swing by a knife shop and handle those and the 4max while I'm on the road.
Given your tastes i think you'll like the Recon 1. I have several with hollow ground XHP spear point being my favorite.
It's really too bad CS disco'd the hollow grinds 😕
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:43 pm
JuPaul wrote:

Ugghhh...this just made my decision MUCH more difficult haha! You're not kidding, what an amazing selection! Spalted Beech definitely has a few that look very nice. Heck, I wasn't even sold on whether I wanted the Small or Large 21. Now I have all these other alternatives to look into :p
Sometimes too many choices is a bad thing! Honestly you probably can't make a wrong choice - they'll all be beautiful. But given your other preferences, seems like the Large makes more sense for you. I'd probably get a large first, too.
- Julia