Am I screwed? (Get it?)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Abyss_Fish

Am I screwed? (Get it?)

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Welp. I waited nearly a year for this Viper Swayback, and as I was putting the scales back on after treating them with mineral oil the top screw entirely gave up and snapped off inside the scale.

Plus as you can see it marred the inside of the burlwood a bit. It’s nearly entirely flush with the inside of the scale so my not so great hand files won’t do it. CollectorKnives have basically said that they’ll send me a new screw if I can get the screw out. So no help there.

Really all I’ve learned is that I shouldn’t take spyderco’s build quality for granted...

So, any suggestions?
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
RustyIron

Re: Am I screwed? (Get it?)

Post by RustyIron »

Disassemble and and drill it out from the back with a regular right-hand drill bit. Drill speed should be slow and pressure should be moderate to ensure cutting, rather than work hardening.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

If you haven’t got access to a pillar drill, you may want to try a Big Gator drill guide (or make something similar).

A reverse twist drill bit would be worth trying (if you can’t drill from the back), in conjunction with a guide.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

If no joy yourself, take it to a Jobbing Jeweller.
They have experience removing broken bits when not enough lube is used.

Phosphoric acid is "commonly" used as it attacks steel, but cannot effect Gold.
Obviously, acid will not be used in this case...

Merely included as it may be of use to others in similar situation.

When removed, use J.B.Weld, to fill hole.
This product can be used to drill and tap successfully.Ensure hole is cleaned with solvent first. Great product.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Unable to access photo.
So, as it is in wood, I think a small diameter pin punch would knock it through, backwards or forwards.
Place scale on a piece of soft wood to support it and prevent splitting, then tap through with small hammer.
Having someone to hold scale would be advised (unless you have 3 x hands) :rolleyes:
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

kiwisailor wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:07 pm
Unable to access photo.
So, as it is in wood, I think a small diameter pin punch would knock it through, backwards or forwards.
Place scale on a piece of soft wood to support it and prevent splitting, then tap through with small hammer.
Having someone to hold scale would be advised (unless you have 3 x hands) :rolleyes:
Impact + burlwood = disaster

Burl is weak and unpredictable since the grain swirls every which way. Be very, VERY careful removing that screw from the wood. I would suggest two people, one holding the scale and applying light pressure to the broken end of the screw with a small pin punch while the other gently turns the screw with a properly fitting driver. It shouldn't take much. Taking the knife apart and drilling the broken piece out from the back is probably the course least likely to cause further damage.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Aight so it sounds like CollectorKnives is gonna either fix it or replace it for me. We’ll see what happens.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v