Libre, Piper, and MBC

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Libre, Piper, and MBC

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:51 pm
I buy as many DVDs of renown martial arts as I can. If they're weird that's fine as long as I think the concept will allow me to win. They all have some benefit and most of them suffer from the same faults.

One thing that is common to most escrima, arnis, kali is that the instructor is practising on a willing participant and in real knife or hand to hand combat, that will not be the case.

I don’t practice FMA, but that is common in many/most martial arts.

One of the things I really liked about the way we learned Choy Lee Fut is that, once we were versed enough in a certain application that we learned, the ‘dummy’ had to try to shut you down, or go off-angle on you, and not always in the same way. In other words, the dummy then was actively messing up the application. It wasn’t so much a fake tit-for-tat type of practice situation, but a way to add some realism into a pre-set application practice. And with CLF, there is some realism to this method of learning, because things come at you from literally any angle, and to do it right, you can’t always exercise much control.

Of course, before you got to that point, when you first learned the sequence, you needed a cooperative dummy, just to get the sequence and the concept down pat.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:00 pm
Naperville wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:51 pm
I buy as many DVDs of renown martial arts as I can. If they're weird that's fine as long as I think the concept will allow me to win. They all have some benefit and most of them suffer from the same faults.

One thing that is common to most escrima, arnis, kali is that the instructor is practising on a willing participant and in real knife or hand to hand combat, that will not be the case.

I don’t practice FMA, but that is common in many/most martial arts.

One of the things I really liked about the way we learned Choy Lee Fut is that, once we were versed enough in a certain application that we learned, the ‘dummy’ had to try to shut you down, or go off-angle on you, and not always in the same way. In other words, the dummy then was actively messing up the application. It wasn’t so much a fake tit-for-tat type of practice situation, but a way to add some realism into a pre-set application practice. And with CLF, there is some realism to this method of learning, because things come at you from literally any angle, and to do it right, you can’t always exercise much control.

Of course, before you got to that point, when you first learned the sequence, you needed a cooperative dummy, just to get the sequence and the concept down pat.

Jim
Yes, I agree, you have to work as a team and at each level somebody has to present the target or base for the move to function initially. You cannot roll with the big boys until you know what you're doing to a fairly high level. I agree, realism is the distant goal. Otherwise we are setting ourselves up for an implementation disaster. To be brutally honest, I've used WWE, karate and boxing moves more than anything else on the street.

To me, almost everything can be useful if you have an open mind. Even the crazy WWE was good for a body slam.

I must have $1,500 more in DVDs that I want but these Spyderco's are coming hard and fast!!! Have to keep up with them as they roll out or you pay a markup and deal with the unknown in trying to ascertain them.

It's all about the Spydercos! :squinting-tongue
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

What I understand of Piper, it was created in South Africa and based around the types of knife attacks that occur there. It may be that Piper is great answer for THAT particular problem? Could be lore as well? It references the criminal element in SA being very blade centric
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

twinboysdad wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:52 pm
What I understand of Piper, it was created in South Africa and based around the types of knife attacks that occur there. It may be that Piper is great answer for THAT particular problem? Could be lore as well? It references the criminal element in SA being very blade centric
Does not surprise me one bit. Probably 30% of the knife fighting groups are skills developed in prisons.

I collect everything knife as far as martial arts goes, when I can afford it. There are good ideas everywhere, nobody holds the patent on what works, but there is a ton of garbage.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/