Apparently - Cold Steel Has Been Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Apparently - Cold Steel Has Been Bought

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:19 am
Everyone could be over reacting. GSM owns a lot of brands. This could be a good thing for CS and might put a stop to some of their goofy models. GSM is really into hunting and outdoor activities. This might be good. We need to wait and see.
I agree, wait and see what happens.

They might get rid of some of the more goofy models and add some really nice stuff.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:04 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:19 am
Everyone could be over reacting. GSM owns a lot of brands. This could be a good thing for CS and might put a stop to some of their goofy models. GSM is really into hunting and outdoor activities. This might be good. We need to wait and see.
I agree, wait and see what happens.

They might get rid of some of the more goofy models and add some really nice stuff.
I do hope your last statement turns out to be correct. Because the knives and tools I've bought from Cold Steel over the years are ones I'm very satisfied with.
And if this new company is into outdoor along with hunting, fishing, backpacking ect, ect,. It might just be a great corporate marriage.
I'm still somewhat leery but cautiously optimistic.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I'd like to be optimistic about all this, but if past is prologue, things aren't looking good. We all know what happened to the quality and reputation of Schrade & Camillus after they were acquired by larger corporate conglomerates (the private equity firm angle makes me even more leery).

I've handled a number of Cold Steel knives before, and I've always found them to be solidly-built, high-quality pieces that come really, really sharp out of the box. And from what I've seen and read online, their Taiwan partner does some of the very best heat treat in the industry of AUS-8 and S35VN. I've come close to buying one of their knives a couple of times—I think I might actually pull the trigger on one now, just to have a pre-GSM Cold Steel knife.

Cold Steel's "tacticool" marketing has always been divisive, but I've always taken it with a grain of salt—they make good stuff and that's what counts. I hope for Cold Steel and its fans that it continues to put out quality products with their distinct, quirky personality even after this acquisition.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

soc_monki wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:25 am
Warranty changed from lifetime to 1 year limited, only to original purchaser. With receipt from an authorized dealer.

If you are on the fence get what you want now. I have a feeling that in a few months it's not going to be pretty.
Thats too bad. I have been a huge Cold Steel fan for years and met Lynn Thompson once. He was a character to say the least but I am saddened by this. Happy for Lynn if its what he truly wants of course but selfishly bitter to the inevitable changes that will come to one of my all time favorite knife brands.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

M Sea wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:54 am
soc_monki wrote:
Warranty changed from lifetime to 1 year limited, only to original purchaser. With receipt from an authorized dealer.

If you are on the fence get what you want now. I have a feeling that in a few months it's not going to be pretty.
Thats too bad. I have been a huge Cold Steel fan for years and met Lynn Thompson once. He was a character to say the least but I am saddened by this. Happy for Lynn if its what he truly wants of course but selfishly bitter to the inevitable changes that will come to one of my all time favorite knife brands.
Lynn seemed to be a guy who talked the talk and walked the walk. A straight shooter. I honestly love the knives I have from Cold Steel, they are high quality for great prices. All of mine are Taiwan made, and I put them up against any other knife in my collection. My second 4 Max Scout should be here tomorrow, and i need to pick up another SRK just because it's an awesome $40 fixed blade.

Hope for the best...hope for the best!!!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

soc_monki wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:09 am
M Sea wrote:
soc_monki wrote:

Lynn seemed to be a guy who talked the talk and walked the walk. A straight shooter. I honestly love the knives I have from Cold Steel, they are high quality for great prices. All of mine are Taiwan made, and I put them up against any other knife in my collection. My second 4 Max Scout should be here tomorrow, and i need to pick up another SRK just because it's an awesome $40 fixed blade.

Love my 4MaxScout! And yes, hoping for the best.
53B3865B-CBC3-481C-9E2A-B1E01E844C64.jpeg
KnotTheory

Post by KnotTheory »

I wanted to thank everyone for this thread and their contributions to it, I was unaware this had happened until yesterday.

I will up front admit I certainly don't think Cold Steel knives are in any way bad or inferior or anything like that, I have owned some of their products in the past and I still have a couple laying around. Some of their offerings like the AD10/AD15/Lawman/Recon are very interesting/tempting, it's just I usually find something I'd rather have instead for the money. Knives being subjective I certainly see the appeal of their products. I can also see the appeal of a lot of their models due to their large blades and "beefy" builds.

But what I've always liked from them were their "strange" things, the tantos, shovels, axes, the weird machetes (before it was stolen, I had one of their two handed machetes and holy heck that thing made some very quick work of a huge mess in the yard of the house my mom bought), etc. I've always liked that they make these items functional even if dedicated martial artists/collectors/experts don't regard them as historically accurate or top quality, the fact they actually do work and that the company is willing to prove they work has always impressed me. I think it has to do with Mr. Thompson himself who I regard as an absolute nut job in the kindest, most flattering way possible because weirdos make the world a much more interesting place to be.

Anyway a friend of mine actually has a small collection of their swords (it's more of a novelty for him, but his attitude is if I'm going to have a sword it better actually still cut) and is dismayed.

For myself, I've always wanted one of their spears so I said to heck with it and ordered one. No good reason, I've just always wanted a spear and didn't feel like spending hundreds on a custom or spending like $200 ish and having to wait like 5 months to get it from a specialty website/maker. The Cold Steel ones are about the only functional spears I've seen that you can buy for under $100. Oh there's a few novelty oddballs here and there but I wanted a traditional(ish) spear.

It might turn out okay. I mean if I were to purchase Cold Steel I'd keep Mr. Thompson as a spokesman, product tester and consultant and make sure I retained the services of Mr. Demko as well, but I am something of an enthusiast myself so I can't say my thoughts are typical.
⟨ x , y ∣ x 2 = y 3
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

M Sea wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:32 am
soc_monki wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:09 am
M Sea wrote:
soc_monki wrote:

Love my 4MaxScout! And yes, hoping for the best.
53B3865B-CBC3-481C-9E2A-B1E01E844C64.jpeg
Just ordered 2 srks in sk5. For $35 a piece I couldn't pass them up. Might move one along since I really just wanted free shipping, but they are handy, tough, cheap fixed blades!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

I looked at the gsm website to see what other stuff they have under the umbrella. Walker makes some nice ear pro. I have a tekmat rolled up around the item it's exploded view breakdown explains. None of the other stuff is up my alley all that much but it's not like steel was sold to Great Value.
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Lynn made a video to calm everyone down. I have many favorite knife brands. I'm in awe of all of the designers, bladesmiths, and manufacturers, not just at Cold Steel, but top to bottom, everywhere. Cold steel makes a decent product and I hope that they turn out better products after this.

https://youtu.be/cACqYnA ... e=emb_logo
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Not my brand of choice, but I'm happy for Mr. Thompson, and hope he enjoys his next phase.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

KnotTheory wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:21 am

But what I've always liked from them were their "strange" things, the tantos, shovels, axes, the weird machetes (before it was stolen, I had one of their two handed machetes and holy heck that thing made some very quick work of a huge mess in the yard of the house my mom bought), etc. I've always liked that they make these items functional even if dedicated martial artists/collectors/experts don't regard them as historically accurate or top quality, the fact they actually do work and that the company is willing to prove they work has always impressed me. I think it has to do with Mr. Thompson himself who I regard as an absolute nut job in the kindest, most flattering way possible because weirdos make the world a much more interesting place to be.
Agree 100%!
I'd also be lying if I said I didn't get a kick out of their crazy videos. :rolleyes: :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

WELL that just raised the value a lot on my very early vintage CS Tanto. ;)

No exactly a bad thing.
James Y

Post by James Y »

As I mentioned, Cold Steel knives are not among my favorites, but I am happy that Lynn Thompson and Andrew Demko are still going to be involved in it going forward.

Regardless of how some of his advertising methods may have come across over the years, I feel that Lynn has always cared about his products and his customers.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:51 am
As I mentioned, Cold Steel knives are not among my favorites, but I am happy that Lynn Thompson and Andrew Demko are still going to be involved in it going forward.

Regardless of how some of his advertising methods may have come across over the years, I feel that Lynn has always cared about his products and his customers.

Jim

That is 100% true. :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Nothing but good things to say about the CS knives I've owned. The large Voyagers are one of the best budget folders on the market, and the kopis machetes I bought on clearance work great on brush. Hope things go well for them, the market would be less interesting without them contributing.
:unicorn
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I've decided to buy as many Spyderco, RMJ and Cold Steel knives as I can in 2020/2021. It only adds up to $2,600US but I'm all in.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

When you think of it, Naperville, a lot of people spend a couple hundred a month on what I think are more frivolous things, and have less to show for it.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

This was sad news for me, as I believe that Cold Steel offered some of the best value products on the market. I don’t see how this GSM supercorp will be able to maintain the character and straightforwardness of this sometimes overly aggressive American brand.

I don’t carry knives for self defense, but a few of their less ridiculous models have found their way in to my permanent collection. Heck, I even have 1 ridiculous model in the Recon 1 tanto (S35VN), fantastic knife. The only thing ridiculous about my XHP Broken Skull is the name, as it truly is a superb knife design and execution- and it’s the knife I use for field dressing large game on light weight hunts.

I’m sure Lynn made a lot of money on this deal because he stated he was bought for “a very fair” price- coming from him I’m sure that means he made out like a bandit.I bet Andrew Demko is getting a nice piece as well. Good for them, probably bad for CS customers.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:49 pm
When you think of it, Naperville, a lot of people spend a couple hundred a month on what I think are more frivolous things, and have less to show for it.
For the most part, it's just me and my knives. I don't have the more satisfying things in life at the moment. There's time left! And you never know.