How things are going in your area?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
OrangeShoes

How things are going in your area?

Postby OrangeShoes » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:03 am

How is your lockdown situation? Or is your local government planning for another lockdown again? I wonder if non-essential facilities will be affected in case another lockdown starts, like the last time it happened.
My city's been fairing well but we are still high on covid cases, but with yuletide season coming in, not sure how bad it can get again.

The Deacon

Re: How things are going in your area?

Postby The Deacon » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:53 am

No new infringements here that I've noticed, at least not yet. City of Greenville might be a different story, but I rarely go there. Out here in the sticks, they've actually backed off a bit. Supermarkets and big box stores are still making us wear masks but most have stopped making their aisles one way. Most independent stores, including every gun shop I've visited, allow their customers to breath normally and some even allow us to understand what the staff is saying. Don't see anywhere near as many people wearing a mask while driving around solo. There are probably still some restrictions on bars and restaurants, but haven't been inside either for eight years, so can't say if or what.

As with everywhere, guns and ammo are in short supply and prices are through the roof. It also seems that, in the last week or so, folks have started hoarding paper products again. Luckily, I tend to keep ample supplies of all of the above on hand. For me personally, the biggest negative impact has been my total inability to acquire a new upright freezer. Ordered one in August, original delivery date was October, then November, now the end of January. No idea what's going on with those, given that refrigerators, stoves, washers, and dryers are in stock, some are even on sale, and the same companies make all five.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

bearfacedkiller

Postby bearfacedkiller » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:49 am

Life is still pretty normal here. I am a hermit living in the woods though so most of 2020 has missed me.
A9DFDCF0-4E73-4B5B-93A8-35662863E982.jpeg
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

The Meat man

Postby The Meat man » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:11 pm

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:49 am
Life is still pretty normal here. I am a hermit living in the woods though so most of 2020 has missed me.

A9DFDCF0-4E73-4B5B-93A8-35662863E982.jpeg
Ha ha! :D That's pretty good, Darby! :D

Things have been fine here. Like you, we haven't been affected much by all the crazy hullabaloo of the past 12 months.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

TkoK83Spy

Postby TkoK83Spy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:35 pm

My area is getting hit pretty hard right now, worse than it was back in March-May. Current testing has my county around 6% positive rate (while in the summer it was down to .1%) Everyone is so used to it now that it doesn't phase people...which is the dangerous part, people getting complacent. One of my truck drivers father passed away from it a couple months ago, with no other underlying health issues in his early 70's.

Two of my coworkers have also had it, and a total of 12 people had to quarantine from here at work because they were in close contact. One of them has recovered and is back at work but said he is still very sore and achy and has a hard time catching his breath. He was diagnosed 4 months ago. The other is currently out, but I've text with him a few times. He said for him it felt like very bad cold, or mild flu for around 3 days but is doing much better now.

I wanted to think it was all a bunch of hoopla...but now knowing 3 people that have been personally effected by it, the reality of it is that it's very contagious and if you're not being smart about it then you could easily face the consequences of your actions.
23 :spyder:'s in 13 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Benchmade 940 (BHQ Exclusive/M4)
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays

-Rick

ChrisinHove

Postby ChrisinHove » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:00 pm

The second wave has been quite fierce here, like most of Europe, and so we’ve been in partial lockdown (no pubs, gyms, restaurants etc or mixing of households) since early November, which is planned to ease off next week.

Currently there is a sense that all the news about vaccines will breed a false and very dangerous sense of it nearly being over.

A 5 day window allowing 3 families/households to mix indoors is going to be allowed over Xmas, however, giving all of us a Grinch vs Grim Reaper dilemma.

I truly hope everyone here can stay safe and well till this bloomin’ thing is over.

James Y

Postby James Y » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:05 pm

Back in the spring, there was a young guy in Florida, about 31 years old, who attended a “Covid party” held by a large crowd of young Covid deniers, in which they try and catch Covid from each other as a lark. Well, he ended up getting it, and he died from it. Reportedly, the last words he ever said to a nurse were, “I think I made a mistake.”

So far, where I am, things are going as OK as they can be.

Jim

JD Spydo

Postby JD Spydo » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:33 pm

I'm here in the Kansas City, MO area of the USA and there is some tension here. We supposedly have a few cases of COVID in the area but I do think we are getting a lot of conflicting information. I've met two people that told me they had gotten sick with COVID but within a few days ( both less than a week) they both got over it OK. Both of them were women in their early to mid 50s and both looked relatively healthy overall. I don't know of anyone that has died of it or that told me they were extremely sick. I think it's all under control for the most part.

It has been frustrating for me for a couple of reasons. I just don't think that the mainstream news media particularly here in this area has been straight with us about the COVID problem along some other news items as well. I do find it comforting to a degree that most of my neighbors, friends and fellow church members are all agreeing with my take on it. I would be a lot less tense if we got honest, accurate news. But other than that things have been pretty civil here in my area.

odomandr

Postby odomandr » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:13 pm

https://www.larimer.org/health/communic ... 19-numbers

Here is the data from my county. I feel well informed and that the information is both easily accessible, but presented in an informative way and I appreciate the frequent updates to this site throughout the day....

I have not seen other places with such information presented or as up to date. My mom in Alabama has to dig a bit to find the information as do counties just next to me here in Colorado. I think that is the frustrating part, at this stage I'd have thought the numbers would tell the tale but with it not all being as forthcoming, I can see how places like South Dakota ended up in the condition they are in.
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski

MacLaren

Postby MacLaren » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:19 pm

I really live in the sticks gang, and we are getting hammered. We are considered a red zone.
We were virtually untouched for the longest time.
Not so now....
Spydernation #0031

rangefinder

Postby rangefinder » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:55 pm

odomandr wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:13 pm
https://www.larimer.org/health/communic ... 19-numbers

Here is the data from my county. I feel well informed and that the information is both easily accessible, but presented in an informative way and I appreciate the frequent updates to this site throughout the day....

I have not seen other places with such information presented or as up to date. My mom in Alabama has to dig a bit to find the information as do counties just next to me here in Colorado. I think that is the frustrating part, at this stage I'd have thought the numbers would tell the tale but with it not all being as forthcoming, I can see how places like South Dakota ended up in the condition they are in.

WA state has fairly comprehensive dashboards:

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/COVI ... aDashboard

As does King County (most populated county in the state, where I live):

https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/health ... /data.aspx

I would guess that many other states/counties have similar information available. But I have not actually checked that, so I could well be wrong. At least for now, I don't plan any travel, so I haven't needed to look for this info for other areas.

As far as "how things are going in your area?"... In WA state the numbers are going up. Last week a bunch of restrictions were (re)enacted, closing indoor dining at restaurants, bowling alleys, etc. I do not think the numbers will flatten or drop over the holidays, so I'm expecting that in January there will be a return to a full lockdown where "non essential" businesses are closed.

Anecdotally, I was at a local big grocery store earlier today. I try to do my shopping very early or very late to avoid crowds, but I was already out and didn't want to make another trip later today, so I went in to pick up a few things. It looked like it did every year on the day before Thanksgiving: extremely crowded and very busy. In theory, all stores in WA are supposed to be restricting occupancy to 25% of the space's rating. And while everyone was wearing masks, I am quite sure this store was not at 25% occupancy -- it was more like 80-90% full. So if this is typical of other stores, it's no surprise the numbers are going up.

roxiescarf

Postby roxiescarf » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:43 am

Neighbors are quarantined because the schools opened up and surprise, now they all test positive. State's becoming a hotbed.

I'm fine though. I was already a recluse and I didn't lose my job so my life basically hasn't changed in any meaningful way besides wearing a mask at work and when I'm out and about. I got used to that quickly enough.

I just found this article and thought I could share and leave it here, a good read for most of us trying to maintain our mental well-being during these days. Always keep yourself safe.

http://newdirectioninstitute.org/why-be ... ally-okay/

OrangeShoes

Postby OrangeShoes » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:45 am

roxiescarf wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:43 am
Neighbors are quarantined because the schools opened up and surprise, now they all test positive. State's becoming a hotbed.

I'm fine though. I was already a recluse and I didn't lose my job so my life basically hasn't changed in any meaningful way besides wearing a mask at work and when I'm out and about. I got used to that quickly enough.

I just found this article and thought I could share and leave it here, a good read for most of us trying to maintain our mental well-being during these days. Always keep yourself safe.

http://newdirectioninstitute.org/why-be ... ally-okay/
Thanks for sharing the article - it was a good read and have insights that help us to appreciate things even if are on lockdown. Covid brought us so much stress and anxiety. Wearing a mask is not comfy but we have to somehow follow protocol for everyone's protection, not only ours. Businesses is struggling that employees got laid off. Then we got all anxious about the incoming waves and the vaccine. So yes it is indeed stressful, not only with the thought of having another lockdown. Mental well-being is really challenged, thus we need to keep the positive vibe to think and do things clearly.

p_atrick

Postby p_atrick » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:46 am

I live in a Boston-adjacent city and the numbers don't look good. I am lucky that I get to work from home (live at work?). I limit myself to leaving my apartment twice a week for some shopping (mostly groceries, occasionally I stop by a brewery). I very rarely see people without a mask (though it happens, but fewer people than the summer). There are fewer large groups milling about on the street. So I guess it is okay, all things considered.

I really worry about my parents back in Dallas. Last summer they moved into a retirement community. They don't mess around with their quarantines at their facility. You cannot leave your room, period. I've lost count how many times they have been in quarantine. One time they were "free" for an hour and a half; then back to quarantine. My mother has a million underlying conditions, and she has to go see the doctor from time to time. One time, an on-site health professional had to check up on my mom because of her low blood sugar (diabetic). Turns out that healthcare worker had been in touch with a COVID-positive person. My mom didn't catch it. Still I worry.

yablanowitz

Postby yablanowitz » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:26 am

In our little town in the middle of nowhere, it took 162 days to get to 1,000 cases. It took 112 days to go from 1,000 to 2,000. It took 39 days to go from 2,000 to 3,000. That was before the Thanksgiving surge. People are going to do what they want to do, even if it kills them and everyone else. Now we are going to get rush vaccines with no idea what side effects they may have. Ain't life grand.

TkoK83Spy

Postby TkoK83Spy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:04 pm

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:26 am
In our little town in the middle of nowhere, it took 162 days to get to 1,000 cases. It took 112 days to go from 1,000 to 2,000. It took 39 days to go from 2,000 to 3,000. That was before the Thanksgiving surge. People are going to do what they want to do, even if it kills them and everyone else. Now we are going to get rush vaccines with no idea what side effects they may have. Ain't life grand.
Yep, that's the problem EVERYWHERE...too many people that don't believe it to be that serious. Inconsiderate people that don't care about themselves or others, thinking their invisible like their a child again. Very aggravating our quality of life and ability to do things is hindered by many careless and reckless people.
23 :spyder:'s in 13 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Benchmade 940 (BHQ Exclusive/M4)
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays

-Rick

Ankerson

Postby Ankerson » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:32 pm

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:19 pm
I really live in the sticks gang, and we are getting hammered. We are considered a red zone.
We were virtually untouched for the longest time.
Not so now....

In my area we were yellow for a awhile, now we are orange, with red all around us. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling there will be another lockdown coming soon.

JD Spydo

Postby JD Spydo » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:46 pm

I'm living in a suburb of Kansas City, MO USA ( Chief's Kingdom :cool: ). The name of the town is Blue Springs, MO. Recently BLUE SPRINGS, MO was considered one of the top 100 best places to live in the USA according to a major financial publication. There is another suburb of KC close to where I live which is Lee's Summit, MO. It may be one of the fastest growing towns in the entire USA>> it's actually a bit more prosperous than Blue Springs is. It's been mind blowing what has happened on a positive note in both suburbs even in 2020.

I feel really fortunate to live in Blue Springs, MO because during all the turmoil associated with COVID 19 the town of Blue Springs has handled it extremely well IMO. We have not had any social problems to speak of at all. Oh we have our share of crime like any other place does. But it's been kept well under control.

I have great neighbors and most of us are on the same page with a few minor exceptions. But I feel pretty safe, prosperous and well fed living here where I do. And believe me I do know that a lot of people in the USA have had a horrible year 2020. My prayers are with them.

Frozenspyder

Postby Frozenspyder » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:35 pm

Here in rural Minnesota, we're semi locked down. Bars, restaurants, gyms, etc are all closed. Masks are required everywhere. No in home gatherings. It's been this way for three weeks and we've got another week to go unless the governor extends it. Our positivity rate is actually better than it was last I heard so I'm hopeful that we've started to turn this around.

Honestly though, working in retail, I think the worst part of all this is the toll it is taking on people mentally. Normal people are either incredibly irritable or depressed after all of this. I've never been assaulted by a customer until this week. We actually had to call the police twice and kick a customer out of the store one other time just this last week. This is in a town of about 1200 people.

The Meat man

Postby The Meat man » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:05 pm

Much the same as normal. I live in a pretty rural area. No mask requirements (thankfully) and as far as I know all local businesses (including indoor dining, etc.) are open. There might be a few restrictions in larger cities like Springfield or Columbia, but no statewide lockdowns/restrictions that I'm aware of. Glad I don't live in California, or Michigan.

All my immediate family (and myself) has gotten COVID by now, but we're all over it and no harm done.

Even though the virus is pretty benign for most of the population, the vaccines are not a moment too soon.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

Return to “Off-Topic”