Camping Craze

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: Camping Craze

Post by MacLaren »

murphjd25 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:14 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:08 pm
T.J. wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:34 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:14 pm

Congratulations on the the little farm!
There's s a lot of good options out there T.J.
Good luck on the hunt and keep us posted
Thank you! I’m open to recommendations on brands. It’s going to be a destination trailer, so towing it is not a concern. I’ve been looking at Keystone and Cedarcreek.
We went with Jayco. Namely, the Jayfeather 27BHB
I think there about all made in Indiana now.
But, we are really happy with Jayco thus far.
A lot of options out there for sure. Seems like I see a lot of Jayco and Keystone models. Our neighbor at The Ridge had a real nice Montana 5th Wheel by Keystone.
Those Montana’s are spectacular! Man that’s living good!
Lol, he also had a 2021 GMC 2500 HD Sierra AT4 w/Duramx Diesel and that Allison 10 Speed Tranny!
Oh man......dude had it goin on! :D
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

T.J. wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:13 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:56 pm
T.J. wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:14 pm

Congratulations on the the little farm!
There's s a lot of good options out there T.J.
Good luck on the hunt and keep us posted
Thank you! I’m open to recommendations on brands. It’s going to be a destination trailer, so towing it is not a concern. I’ve been looking at Keystone and Cedarcreek.
I actually live in Central NY and had a Keystone camper myself for 3 years. We had a 2017 Keystone Outback 250URS, was a great camper!! Where abouts in NY are you camping?
Morris, pretty close to Oneonta. Thanks for the feedback on the Keystone!
My neighbors daughter actually runs track for Oneonta!

Our camper was a 27ft, but more like 34ft when the rear slide extended into a king size bed. Weighed around 5,500lbs I believe?? Had 2 slides, no problem at all for a Ram 1500.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Interesting post. Wife and I talk about getting a little camper (13'-16') when we retire to take trips in around the country. Both of us were backpackers and involved in Scouting with our sons. A little camper would be a big step up from a tent & car camping. For some weird reason the ground has gotten harder as I've gotten older.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:59 pm
T.J. wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:13 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:56 pm
T.J. wrote:

I actually live in Central NY and had a Keystone camper myself for 3 years. We had a 2017 Keystone Outback 250URS, was a great camper!! Where abouts in NY are you camping?
Morris, pretty close to Oneonta. Thanks for the feedback on the Keystone!
My neighbors daughter actually runs track for Oneonta!

Our camper was a 27ft, but more like 34ft when the rear slide extended into a king size bed. Weighed around 5,500lbs I believe?? Had 2 slides, no problem at all for a Ram 1500.
That's a good point Rick.
I think that anything under 6k a 1500 will do well.
But, man when ya get 6.5 k or over its a different ballgame. Ours is 33ft and about 7,500 when towing her. My first cousin has a 5th Wheel that he pulls with a dodge 1500, but she is about 5k to 6k as well.
Those 1500 towing specs are very deceiving imo lol
My 2019 Silverado 1500 was rated to tow 11,400 and that's just phenomenal specs for a 1500! At least one would think so. But, there's absolutely no way in the world I would attempt to tow even 8,000 pounds with any 1500 series truck. Could it be done, yes. But it's gonna be very stressful on that 1500 and you won't even be ae to go 55 mph. And heaven forbid you run into strong headwinds..... Imo, a person starting out like me has to be careful. The rv people will sell you a 8 or 9k travel trailer to a couple with a 1500 series truck.
Imo, they shouldn't do that. I just think anyone buying a trailer 6500 pounds or more should have a 2500 series truck.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

I only have a Ford Explorer so I can’t tow much of anything. I’m going to need the trailer delivered to the property.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Tell ya what gang, I am really impressed/happy with this new travel trailer.
I was a bit skeptical at first. Wandered how good the AC and heating would be.
The AC will run ya out of there. The first day we got to The Ridge it was unseasonably hot. Over 80°
And, a lot of yall know, that when first coming out of winter, even 70° feels kinda hot! So, the cooling was a pleasant suprise. Then just when I was thinking that we might not have a chance to really test the heating until October, we got some snow yesterday lol and the low last night was 24° So, I turned on the two 30 pound propane bottle and set the temp initially to 75° and it didn't take long at all to get there. I eventually set her to 70° for overnight. Needless to say, the heating is awesome as well.
vivi

Post by vivi »

No trailer or RV, but I've been gradually working on stocking up the truck for impromptu camping.

So far I have a pop up canopy, cooking set, 7 gallon aquatainer, skateboard & skate shoes, discgolf set, wool blankets, spare jackets hats & gloves, a few sleeping pads and sleeping bags, 3 person tent, solar panel, USB batteries, charging cables, bluetooth speaker, tools, stash of fatwood, archery supplies, solar shower, med kit, shovel, hygiene kit, towels and a few changes of clothes.

Got it all packed away for a camping trip next week while still having enough space for the day to day activities.
:unicorn
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

vivi wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:54 pm
No trailer or RV, but I've been gradually working on stocking up the truck for impromptu camping.

So far I have a pop up canopy, cooking set, 7 gallon aquatainer, skateboard & skate shoes, discgolf set, wool blankets, spare jackets hats & gloves, a few sleeping pads and sleeping bags, 3 person tent, solar panel, USB batteries, charging cables, bluetooth speaker, tools, stash of fatwood, archery supplies, solar shower, med kit, shovel, hygiene kit, towels and a few changes of clothes.

Got it all packed away for a camping trip next week while still having enough space for the day to day activities.
Good deal!!
Was looking over your post/list and I wanna try discgolf someday. Seems like a lot of fun!
vivi

Post by vivi »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:28 pm
vivi wrote:

Good deal!!
Was looking over your post/list and I wanna try discgolf someday. Seems like a lot of fun!
You're close to one of the best cities in the world for it! North Carolina in general is packed with courses.

check out www.dgcoursereview.com and put your zip code in the course finder.

PM me if you decide to try it. I've got lots of extra discs from when I was really into it.
:unicorn
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

vivi wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:01 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:28 pm
vivi wrote:

Good deal!!
You're close to one of the best cities in the world for it! North Carolina in general is packed with courses.

check out www.dgcoursereview.com and put your zip code in the course finder.

PM me if you decide to try it. I've got lots of extra discs from when I was really into it.
I will & thank you!! :)
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Good points all around. I’m also looking at trailers less then 5500 lbs LOL
Josh
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

T.J. wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:52 am
I only have a Ford Explorer so I can’t tow much of anything. I’m going to need the trailer delivered to the property.
V8 or V6? Mine had the largest V8 and it was a hoss. Your specs should be inside of the driver door and in your manual. They will tell you how much you can safely tow. Most towing should stay below 55mph and maybe 50mph, some 45 max, depending on the model being towed.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:20 pm
T.J. wrote:
V8 or V6? Mine had the largest V8 and it was a hoss. Your specs should be inside of the driver door and in your manual. They will tell you how much you can safely tow. Most towing should stay below 55mph and maybe 50mph, some 45 max, depending on the model being towed.
V6 with twin turbos. 400 hp.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

T.J. wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:39 am
Doc Dan wrote:
T.J. wrote:
Dude!!!
That twin turbo Explorer is awesome!
I would love to drive one someday. To heck with towing, I would be hot roddin that baby around!
0-60 in 5.5 seconds, I think? That's INSANE!
Plus, they are just so nice inside. I think the actually put an IPad in there, lol.
Ford did a phenomenal job with the new Explorer. Going back to rear wheel drive, ditching the CVT tranny in favor or 10 speed tranny, which is the schiznit btw...
I hear the leather, the stitching and wood accents are better than ever before. If I could, I would have that new Explorer Twin Turbo. No doubt.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

If you want a fast SUV...look into the Jeep Trackhawk. That thing has no business being THAT fast :cool: ;)

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:45 am
If you want a fast SUV...look into the Jeep Trackhawk. That thing has no business being THAT fast :cool: ;)
Yeah man, that's ridiculous 1,000 hp, 0-60 in 2.7
That kinda a money, I'll get a new mid engine Vette :D
But, then again, would I? A 1,000 hp Tackhawk would CRAZY!! :D
Edit, I see where the v8 days are numbered because of coming emission regs
Will affect all makers I reckon.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:27 am
T.J. wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
T.J. wrote:
Dude!!!
I would love to drive one someday. To heck with towing, I would be hot roddin that baby around!
Plus, they are just so nice inside. I think the actually put an IPad in there, lol.
Ford did a phenomenal job with the new Explorer. Going back to rear wheel drive, ditching the CVT tranny in favor or 10 speed tranny, which is the schiznit btw...
I hear the leather, the stitching and wood accents are better than ever before. If I could, I would have that new Explorer Twin Turbo. No doubt.
It’s actually really incredible. It’s like a rocket ship! The interior is beautiful as well. The radio does look just like an iPad.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:13 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Yeaaaa, I've always liked me a Vette as well! I sure hope Dodge doesn't stop. They've got a couple beauties with all sorts of different packages. I've tried telling the wife I wouldn't mind one, 4 doors and all wheel drive (meaning "family friendly" and can be driven all year round)...but she says I'm a truck guy these days and would regret not having one (which is true)

My problem is I like nice things and don't make enough money to have a new truck and muscle car at the same time :p

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

T.J. wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:23 am
MacLaren wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:27 am
T.J. wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Dude!!!
It’s actually really incredible. It’s like a rocket ship! The interior is beautiful as well. The radio does look just like an iPad.
Imo, that new Explorer you have is the way to go.
It's affordable and I just absolutely love the rear wheel drive and 10 speed tranny.
That 10 Speed is a huge reason why it's so nice imo
I believe that 10 Speed Tranny was developed by both Ford and Chevrolet. The Silverado guys rave about it
And, I can see why, as my 2019 1500 had an 8 Speed tranny and man, she was a lot quicker, faster and better gas mileage than any 6 Speed Silverado I've ever had. The 8 and 10 Speed trannys change gears so well and seamless, that I wasn't using the brakes on my truck nearly as much as before.
You have a super nice solid as can be ride T.J.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:25 am
MacLaren wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:13 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Yeaaaa, I've always liked me a Vette as well! I sure hope Dodge doesn't stop. They've got a couple beauties with all sorts of different packages. I've tried telling the wife I wouldn't mind one, 4 doors and all wheel drive (meaning "family friendly" and can be driven all year round)...but she says I'm a truck guy these days and would regret not having one (which is true)

My problem is I like nice things and don't make enough money to have a new truck and muscle car at the same time :p
Lol, we're in the same boat! I yearn for a muscle car a lot! Just wish I had shekels to make it happen Rick.
****, I just wish they would've had this kinda power when I was younger. I had a 2002 Mustang GT 5.0 and, it had like 265 hp lol.....
It's just amazing what they are doing with motors now.