Camping Craze

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Camping Craze

Post by MacLaren »

Has anyone else or in particular, anyone else's wife caught the RV/Travel Trailer Camping bug??
Lol, my wife has caught it full on!
We just bought a new Jayco Jayfeather (27BHB)
Brought it home yesterday......absolutely destroyed my gas mileage lol....however, I really do like it and, do look forward to some camping trips. As a matter of fact, our first venture will be to Sevierville ( near Pigeon Forge,TN) - the campsite is right behind Smokey Mountain Knife Works and Buds Gun Shop. So, I was all for that of course!! :D
At any rate, here is a pic of the camper.
Please feel free to share as many pics, and give as much advice as you like :D
We are first time RV/Travel Trailer/Camper- whatever, lol.......
This pic, is where we pulled off to get something to eat.
TomAiello

Re: Camping Craze

Post by TomAiello »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:01 pm
Has anyone else or in particular, anyone else's wife caught the RV/Travel Trailer Camping bug??
Oh, yes.

My wife has totally gone RV crazy. In past years we've done a lot of family travel internationally (her budget family travel blog: http://yourfamilycantravel.com) and now that we can't fly the family anywhere, she's diving deep into the RV/trailer camping rabbit hole.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:20 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Oh, yes.

My wife has totally gone RV crazy. In past years we've done a lot of family travel internationally (her budget family travel blog: http://yourfamilycantravel.com) and now that we can't fly the family anywhere, she's diving deep into the RV/trailer camping rabbit hole.
Lol, I KNEW there had to be someone else!
Its quite the ride, the aint it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

I camp about once a week. Sometimes in a hammock, sometimes in a tent, sometimes under a tarp.

In fact I'm heading up to the mountains on the TN/NC border in a few days to hike, see some waterfalls and sleep under the stars next to a gentle stream. I'll be hiking a couple of miles to my camp site, which will be nice and secluded except for my group.

I'd like to get an RV someday.
:unicorn
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:09 pm
I camp about once a week. Sometimes in a hammock, sometimes in a tent, sometimes under a tarp.

In fact I'm heading up to the mountains on the TN/NC border in a few days to hike, see some waterfalls and sleep under the stars next to a gentle stream. I'll be hiking a couple of miles to my camp site, which will be nice and secluded except for my group.

Are yall hiking the Appalachian Trail?
vivi

Post by vivi »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:23 pm
vivi wrote:

No just an overnighter.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:49 pm
MacLaren wrote:
vivi wrote:

No just an overnighter.
You may be very close to me Vivi.
Are you gonna be on the Carter County TN Avery County NC border?
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I moved, and travelled for six months, in a cheap, old RV. There really is no better way to see the country you are travelling in. I hope to get to do it again, but it won't be six months, and gas is a lot more than it used to be.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Me too. The older I get the more I want to get an RV of some kind. 3 years until I retire, hopefully, then my wife and I are planning on picking up one.
vivi wrote:

Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
vivi

Post by vivi »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:23 pm
vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:49 pm
MacLaren wrote:
vivi wrote:

No just an overnighter.
You may be very close to me Vivi.
Are you gonna be on the Carter County TN Avery County NC border?
pm sent
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Canvas for us! We tried the RV thing some years ago but the narrow & congested UK roads and high cost weighed against it.

Most of our family vacations have been large canvas bell- tent camping in sunnier parts, and stick a little tent on the back of my motorcycle & I’m a very happy camper!

It’s just nice having your own space and gear.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Oh yeah! I used to have a 27’ class c motorhome. After that I got a brand new 21’ travel trailer. We sold that when my wife got pregnant since we wouldn’t be using it much. Now we have had a 21’ pop up for about two years.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ohhhh boy Paul!! We were into it for 3 years, but actually just sold ours early this past spring. For us, with work schedules and school it was tough for us to do anything more than weekend trips...which turned out to be too much work for us. But, it was a great time and a great family experience!! I missed it this past summer, just not all the work that goes along with it! If we took 4+ day trips instead of only weekends, it would have been much more enjoyable for us. We had a 27ft Keystone Outback...The back part of it is a king size bed, bigger than the bed we have in our home haha!

Resized_20190408_172536_93010890660984.jpeg
Resized_20170909_113948_93120404656463.jpeg
Resized_20170707_172405(0)_93214245042000.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

4748116C-2B43-426C-BFFE-E14872E25C02.jpeg
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:20 am
Ohhhh boy Paul!! We were into it for 3 years, but actually just sold ours early this past spring. For us, with work schedules and school it was tough for us to do anything more than weekend trips...which turned out to be too much work for us. But, it was a great time and a great family experience!! I missed it this past summer, just not all the work that goes along with it! If we took 4+ day trips instead of only weekends, it would have been much more enjoyable for us. We had a 27ft Keystone Outback...The back part of it is a king size bed, bigger than the bed we have in our home haha!

Resized_20190408_172536_93010890660984.jpeg
Resized_20170909_113948_93120404656463.jpeg
Resized_20170707_172405(0)_93214245042000.jpeg
Awesome pics, Rick!
Thats so cool man, we have a 27 footer as well!
Thanx for the Awesome pics too!
And, I absolutely 💯 agree that its gonna take about 4 days a trip to really enjoy it. Just getting there and set up will take a while. And, I think we'll prolly be into this for about 3 or 4 years too. I really do.
I think we're basically going thru the same thing yall have already went thru.
And, I hear ya on the amenities, this is a Jayco Jayfeather, 2021, but it's super nice to be honest. One thing I insisted on, or actually just asked nicely, lol, was theater seating, - two recliners. And, they are nice!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanx so much gang, for all the pics and comments!
I really do appreciate it
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:30 am
4748116C-2B43-426C-BFFE-E14872E25C02.jpeg
Nice Darby!!
That'll get er done!
NYLife

Post by NYLife »

Love camping, but for now still happy with the regular tent :)
Be stronger than your excuses
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:20 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Oh, yes.

Thanx Tom!, my wife will really appreciate this blog :)
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Right now we are still car camping mostly. Both of us backpacked & our family was active in Scouting. Still as I've gotten older creature comforts are nice. We've talked about getting a small camper (around 16' or so) when we get close to retirement.