Camping Craze

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

Re: Camping Craze

Post by vivi »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:30 pm
How much do you guys pay for fuel? I almost fell off my chair when I saw 19mpg.

I paid £1.24/litre yesterday, which I reckon is $7.82/gal.
Since Biden was elected its gone up $1/gal. Was about $1.75 a gallon, now about $2.75
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

vivi wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:16 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:

Since Biden was elected its gone up $1/gal. Was about $1.75 a gallon, now about $2.75
Yea, that got ridiculous really quick! Glad I don't have a car that requires the premium 93 octane fuel these days.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

How much of the fuel cost in the UK is tax, Chris?

A quick google tells me that the tax is 58 pence per liter, which is close to half the price? That seems crazy--is that really correct?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

vivi wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

:eek:
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:36 pm
How much of the fuel cost in the UK is tax, Chris?

A quick google tells me that the tax is 58 pence per liter, which is close to half the price? That seems crazy--is that really correct?

About 58 pence per litre, or 37%.

The drop in oil prices last year took us down to £1.05, about 10 years ago it was up to £1.45 per litre. Between HM Government, OPEC and the commodities speculators we don’t stand a chance!

.... Which is why I now drive a Prius
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wow. That's more than $2/gallon tax.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Was going to look at trailers this weekend but the wife seems to think I’m remodeling the downstairs bathroom this weekend...hahaha
Josh
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

murphjd25 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:05 pm
Was going to look at trailers this weekend but the wife seems to think I’m remodeling the downstairs bathroom this weekend...hahaha
Soooo...what are we doing in the bathroom?? We KNOW that's what's happening now! :p

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:09 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
Soooo...what are we doing in the bathroom?? We KNOW that's what's happening now! :p
Hehehe.....Rick's been there and done that!
Rick knows what he's talking about too. Man, Rick what you told me before we started is already ringing true. It's a lot better to go camping for a week as opposed to a 2 or 3 day weekend. Seems like a lot - well, not a whole lot, but just like you said, just wish ya had a little more time for what ya put into it.
Btw, we will be going to North Myrtle Beach before long for about 7 days at least I think. That will be fun.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

vivi wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

Oil prices are dictated by a few things.

Supply and demand. (Low demand and high supply with drive down prices (Like during the Pandemic when everything was locked down world wide for the most part) and the other way around once the demand goes back up again)

The US is not a world alone, nor are the prices of oil. Ever heard of OPEC?

The Stock market. (The oil companies will charge what the going rate is of a barrel of oil) They are not going to undercut their profits just because they are just that kind of people. Say the price of a barrel of oil is $90 a barrel, they will NOT charge $20 a barrel just to a be nice guys. That is NOT how it works in the real world.

NOT BY WHO IS SITTING IN THE WH. Unless the form of GOV in the US changed overnight with nobody knowing about it. ;)

Or one is in favor of heavy GOV regulation of the Stock Market and the Oil Companies that is. ;)

Or the Federal GOV subsidizing the fuel prices. LOL
Last edited by Ankerson on Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:
Ripping out the old vanity, new vanity, new mirror, new lighting, new fancy faucet. Shouldn’t be to bad...I’m planning on doing the demo Friday night after work, then Saturday will be dump run and a easy install. :)
Josh
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:59 pm
vivi wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

Oil prices are dictated by a few things.

Supply and demand. (Low demand and high supply with drive down prices (Like during the Pandemic when everything was locked down world wide for the most part) and the other way around once the demand goes back up again)

The US is not a world alone, nor are the prices of oil. Ever heard of OPEC?

The Stock market. (The oil companies will charge what the going rate is of a barrel of oil) They are not going to undercut their profits just because they are just that kind of people. Say the price of a barrel of oil is $90 a barrel, they will NOT charge $20 a barrel just to a be nice guys. That is NOT how it works in the real world.

NOT BY WHO IS SITTING IN THE WH. Unless the form of GOV in the US changed overnight with nobody knowing about it. ;)

Or one is in favor of heavy GOV regulation of the Stock Market and the Oil Companies that is. ;)

Or the Federal GOV subsidizing the fuel prices. LOL
That was a lot of words to refute something I didn't claim.

I never blamed the increase on anything, I merely mentioned how much gas has gone up where I live, and mentioned the timeframe.
:unicorn
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Some years ago we rented a big ( big for the U.K. that is!) motor home / camper for a family touring vacation.

It was great fun, and very memorable for all the right reasons, but when we tallied it all up, the cost of the fuel we used was shocking.

When I see some of these smart vehicles on the road, now, I have pangs of both envy and relief!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:35 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:
Hehehe.....Rick's been there and done that!
Rick knows what he's talking about too. Man, Rick what you told me before we started is already ringing true. It's a lot better to go camping for a week as opposed to a 2 or 3 day weekend. Seems like a lot - well, not a whole lot, but just like you said, just wish ya had a little more time for what ya put into it.
Btw, we will be going to North Myrtle Beach before long for about 7 days at least I think. That will be fun.
Once you get a routine down for setup and tearing down, it gets a little easier. I did all the leveling, hookups, etc and my wife would take care of everything on the inside while I was doing that stuff. But yes, still a lot of work. 4 or more days is definitely the sweet spot. Hope you guys have a blast on the next trip!

-Rick
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Given that we’re on the eve of pulling our RV out of storage (been in a facility since November 2019 for the winter, then COVID-19 :eek: ), I thought I’d celebrate by reminding myself that we actually have an RV.

Ours—we call it Tardis—is a 2012 Class B Airstream Interstate (built on a 2011 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis). We bought it for half its MSRP in 2018 with only 3400 miles on the odometer. Half-off was still not cheap to us, and vehicles idle too long have hidden costs, but the rep on Sprinters is their engines don’t even break in until 250,000 miles. What dream to drive?! Zoom, zoom.

Shown here at a campground on the coast of Maine, our Tardis has a rare-ish twin-bed floor plan (just perfect for my wife and me; this is the advertisement for ours https://youtu.be/NWXczG0XcHw). And so, when we toodled around northern New England with our daughter and grandson two summers ago, we had to put up the Eureka tent (peeking out from behind) that we bought for canoe camping over thirty years earlier when our daughter was just 10. She was amused to sleep in it with her son.

Before our daughter was born and canoe tripping became our thing, my wife and I regularly backpacked the high Sierra in California in the early years of our marriage. It was her fond memories of those times that made us equal partners in pursuing this new approach to camping for people whose joints are no longer pain-free.

Had the pandemic not happened, we would already have visited Golden, and boondocked across the wonderful Colorado Plateau and Geronimo’s homeland, as we had planned. Maybe next year. This year we’ll stay closer to our New England home, just to be safe.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:31 pm
Given that we’re on the eve of pulling our RV out of storage (been in a facility since November 2019 for the winter, then COVID-19 :eek: ), I thought I’d celebrate by reminding myself that we actually have an RV.

Ours—we call it Tardis—is a 2012 Class B Airstream Interstate (built on a 2011 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis). We bought it for half its MSRP in 2018 with only 3400 miles on the odometer. Half-off was still not cheap to us, and vehicles idle too long have hidden costs, but the rep on Sprinters is their engines don’t even break in until 250,000 miles. What dream to drive?! Zoom, zoom.

Shown here at a campground on the coast of Maine, our Tardis has a rare-ish twin-bed floor plan (just perfect for my wife and me; this is the advertisement for ours https://youtu.be/NWXczG0XcHw). And so, when we toodled around northern New England with our daughter and grandson two summers ago, we had to put up the Eureka tent (peeking out from behind) that we bought for canoe camping over thirty years earlier when our daughter was just 10. She was amused to sleep in it with her son.

Before our daughter was born and canoe tripping became our thing, my wife and I regularly backpacked the high Sierra in California in the early years of our marriage. It was her fond memories of those times that made us equal partners in pursuing this new approach to camping for people whose joints are no longer pain-free.

Had the pandemic not happened, we would already have visited Golden, and boondocked across the wonderful Colorado Plateau and Geronimo’s homeland, as we had planned. Maybe next year. This year we’ll stay closer to our New England home, just to be safe.
Very nice! New England is a beautiful part of this country ( my fav), so staying close is a blessing!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

All I can say is "wow", Mark.
That's super nice. I'll guarantee that motor will go on and on and on.
That's just really neat and nice.
Good gracious, I just looked at a couple 2021 models and they were $194,000 and $224,000
You did good Mark :D
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:05 pm
Good gracious, I just looked at a couple 2021 models and they were $194,000 and $224,000
Yeah, frightening prices. And, frankly, not worth it new, to us at least.

The biggest downside to ours, unlike yours, Mac, is if we want to go somewhere for dinner or shopping or unfettered sightseeing, we’ve got to drive away from the campsite and you just need to unhitch.

I’m not complaining, mind you, just saying it’s a kind of travel that suits us, but maybe not others. Moving across the country at 80mph opens up certain opportunities but adds some restrictions. We’re not interested in pulling a toad, even though it’s a nothing for a Sprinter. At least not yet...
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sun May 02, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

T.J. wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:04 pm
Very nice! New England is a beautiful part of this country ( my fav), so staying close is a blessing!
Thanks. Agreed.

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:48 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:05 pm
Yeah, frightening prices. And, frankly, not worth it new, to us at least.

The biggest downside to ours, unlike yours, Mac, is if we want to go somewhere for dinner or shopping or unfettered sightseeing, we’ve got to drive away from the campsite and you just need to unhitch.

I’m not complaining, mind you, just saying it’s a kind of travel that suits us, but maybe not others. Moving across the country at 80mph opens up certain opportunities but adds some restrictions. We’re not interested in pulling a toad, even though it’s a nothing for a Sprinter. At least not yet...
Ya know, I was gonna say, just really stock up on food.
But, the upsides are just wonderful. Especially with only 2 or 3 people.