Happy Veteran's Day

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

What branch of the military did you serve in?

Army
44%
Navy
22%
Air Force or Air Corps
11%
Marines
11%
Coast Guard
11%

Total votes: 9

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Happy Veteran's Day

Post by Doc Dan »

Happy Veteran's Day to all of us who served in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Army Air Corps, Marines, and Coast Guard.

Me? I served in the Army. What about you?

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
legOFwhat?

Re: Happy Veteran's Day

Post by legOFwhat? »

Happy Veteran's Day!

My baby daughter is just wrapping up basics in the Army, so here's a proud daddy hoping to get to see her this Christmas!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TheFrozenCelt

Post by TheFrozenCelt »

Hey! Happy Veterans Day! I was a combat engineer (12B) and paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne Division 3rd Battalion. Got out in 2014 served in Afghanistan during OEF and would like to extend my gratitude to all those who served wartime and not. Glad to know there are some fellow veterans on here!
"It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love." -Mithrandir
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I spent my time in the USN as an Avionics Tech in a couple of A7-E squadrons, bobbing around on an aircraft carrier back when all we did was keep an eye on the Russians keeping an eye on us.

I've talked to some of the "kids" that I work with who have been stationed in the Middle East where they took incoming rounds and explosives. Their job was a lot tougher than mine and I'd like to say to all of you that have been in shooting wars, thank you for serving!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

During a time of peace, I signed on the dotted line for 6yrs in the US Marine Corps, and then on my ship date I was bounced for a heart murmur.

Had the open heart surgery to replace the valve in late 2017, so they were right about the diagnosis.

Thinking of signing up for the Space Force so that I can work on propulsion systems using dilithium crystals!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Wishing All Veterans A Happy Veterans Day!!! Thank You For Your Service!!!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I might be the only Coastie, we are a rare bunch. It is also where I received my first Spyderco, a SE Endura, which the TSA happily relieved me of!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Hey everybody -- HAPPY VETERAN'S DAY!!

Combat Navy here, was an Airdale aboard the first Supercarrier, the USS Forrestal CV 59 for the first four year hitch, worked on the hangar bays, moved up in '82 to being a flight deck jock, recognized as one of the top three most hazardous occupations there is. This eventually led to my dream job working with the Air Boss and Mini Boss (both 06 full bird Captains) in Pri- Fly (Primary Flight Control) V-0 division / 8 man crew (four on days, four on nights) serving in the tower where flight ops was led, coordinated and conducted. Was a 'white shirt', had the full knowledge and freedom of knowing where to be, where not to be and when, but basically had free run of the entire flight deck. 5800 man complement. Quals were brutal, but I'd do it all over again in a New York Minute. :cool:

Second enlistment was aboard an Amphibious Assault Ship -- USS Cleveland LPD 7, and was later attached to the USS Denver LPD 9. Aircrewman trained out of Pensacola, following Basic.

Saw action in Beirut and Libya in '82 -- was one of two carrier battle groups that operated in the Med, and through the Suez and the Red Sea, into the Indian Ocean where we alternatively operated with ships in the seventh fleet, then up to the gulf of Oman with the 5th fleet operating south of Bahrain.

This was an amazing time to have served, with USS New Jersey (BB 62)
made combat ready along with three other WWII Battleships -- Indescribable experience seeing the Ol' Girl in action, I tell you.

There's more that isn't already written about -- getting late though.

God Bless America --
ABH3 Bruce Gibson.
Last edited by SkullBouncer on Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I was a 91B Medic. Served in the Army Reserve '93-'95 with 3297 AH, and Active Duty '95-'99 with 2/187 Infantry.
Last edited by Halfneck on Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Awesome! Hand Salute to all that have served or are serving!

Btw:
HAPPY

VETERAN'S

DAY!!