I need some pen suggestions

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Abyss_Fish

I need some pen suggestions

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I’ve been using parker jotters (mostly the standard black body blue ink roller ball ones) for close to 10 years now. And while I love its size and authoritative click, the clip leaves a lot to be desired. It breaks often and my girlfriend likes to joke she’ll only sit to the right of me to avoid being accidentally stabbed.

So basically I need suggestions for pens around the same size and shape as the jotter but slightly more premium. Basically I just want a nicer clip. Or no clip. It depends on the pen I guess. I do like the parker refills so if it took those, that would be nice. I’m also not really married to any one opening method.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance, have a good rest of the week.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
RustyIron

Re: I need some pen suggestions

Post by RustyIron »

For decades I carried a fountain pen I crafted from exotic wood, and used the same obscure color ink. But a year ago my situation evolved to one that required less writing, so a fountain pen became problematic. I picked out a nice Rick Hinderer pen, and got some cartridges with my signature color. I'm happy with the Hinderer. Take a look. If his style appeals to you, you needn't worry about the quality of the workmanship.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I prefer the shape of the Ballograf Epoca against the parker. Because its thicker at the handle part.
But my absolute favorite is a promotional gift pen from a friendly company.
It's made of wood and has a perfekt diameter and feels smooth and warm.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

The Fisher Space Pen seems like the obvious suggestion. They make models with better clips or no clips, capped or clickable.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Accutron wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:32 pm
The Fisher Space Pen seems like the obvious suggestion. They make models with better clips or no clips, capped or clickable.
Also a good choice.
I have a Fisher Bullet Pen as backup in my work bag.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Zebra F-701
All metal. Very solid and durable. Multiple refill options including Fisher pressurized. Comes with a fantastic clip. But you can actually swap it with some other Zebra clips if you do mess it up.
remnar

Post by remnar »

PStone wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:44 pm
Zebra F-701
All metal. Very solid and durable. Multiple refill options including Fisher pressurized. Comes with a fantastic clip. But you can actually swap it with some other Zebra clips if you do mess it up.
I'll second this suggestion. I've been using a couple 701s for a few years now and they work great. This year I modified them to take the Fisher space pen cartridges which work a little better in the rain and for writing on the "carbon" paper that is used in the ticket that I write. :) :spyder:
PStone

Post by PStone »

remnar wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:05 pm
PStone wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:44 pm
Zebra F-701
I'll second this suggestion. I've been using a couple 701s for a few years now and they work great. This year I modified them to take the Fisher space pen cartridges which work a little better in the rain and for writing on the "carbon" paper that is used in the ticket that I write. :) :spyder:
Roger that. Mine is an older modded 701 with the 402 pieces and a space pen refill too. It’s a few years old.
Zebra updated their 701s this year and now offer this all metal version as an off the shelf option that needs no mods.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

I like Pilot G-2 refills, so my nice pen that takes them is a red aluminum Tactile Turn Mover (2015 purchase, pic below). He's since changed the clicking mechanism and now it's a hit or miss type deal.

The new TT Side Click looks interesting - haven't tried it yet.

The Karas Retrakt is nice too.

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:55 pm
I picked out a nice Rick Hinderer pen, and got some cartridges with my signature color. I'm happy with the Hinderer. Take a look. If his style appeals to you, you needn't worry about the quality of the workmanship.
I have a Hinderer Investigator (the small version) and I've been extremely pleased with it. I've owned it for about 5 years now.

I also have a nice Tactile Turn bolt action pen, and I highly recommend the stainless steel version. It's without a doubt the smoothest pen mechanism I've ever touched. I was less pleased with their titanium version (the stainless steel pen is _heavy_ and I wanted something lighter), but it was still excellent. If you want a full size pen with a lot of 'wow' factor, definitely check out the Tactile Turn.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:04 am
I also have a nice Tactile Turn bolt action pen, and I highly recommend the stainless steel version. It's without a doubt the smoothest pen mechanism I've ever touched. I was less pleased with their titanium version (the stainless steel pen is _heavy_ and I wanted something lighter), but it was still excellent. If you want a full size pen with a lot of 'wow' factor, definitely check out the Tactile Turn.
I’ve been looking at the standard short bolt action from them. How thick are those in hand? I’m used to the parker jotter which is super thin, and while the Tactile Turn is only .04” or so thicker than the max width of the jotter, the jotter has a serious taper down to the nib, while the TT is a bit of a tube.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Personally I haven't been bothered by it's thickness, but that's something that's not really on my radar. I'm comfortable using very thick and very thin pens, so it isn't even something I think about.
BG-ThatsMe

Post by BG-ThatsMe »

The Urban Survival Gear TiScribe bolt is an option that can handle a variety of refills. I use g2 size refills and parker style ones in mine.

Bigidesign makes some useful pens that can accommodate hundreds of types of refills.

The tactile turn and karas kustoms pens are nice but a bit clunky imo.

Lamy makes good pens too.

Check out Kaweco’s sport series too if you want something that you can toss in a pocket easily.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

austrian_spyder_fan wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:59 pm
Accutron wrote:
Also a good choice.
I have a Fisher Bullet Pen as backup in my work bag.
One of my favorites! I have the brass bullet with a bold refill.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I like Karas Kustoms. Those are the only pens I carry anymore. Their clips are very overbuilt, especially on the Ink model, which was a major selling point for me. If you sign up for their e-mail notifications, they occasionally have grab bag sales where you can get pens with random mismatched colors at very reasonable prices. That's probably the best way to try one.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Accutron wrote:
Can’t beat a fisher space pen.

https://www.spacepen.com/M4GRCT-powderg ... cepen.aspx
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Dazen wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:55 pm
One of my favorites!
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I don't know if you're interested in fountains. But, my pen of choice is a TWSBI Diamond Mini AL.

It's a nice, small package when closed. Posted, it's a full size pen.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I keep a Fisher Space Pen Bullet on me at all times (in my Hitch & Timber wallet).. does the trick in a pinch and I always have a pen on me. Generally, I write pretty small and like the finest pens possible.. I keep as many Pilot G2 .38mm pens around as possible.. at work, home, etc. Fancy pens are cool, but they've never "done it" for me. Give me simple and functional any day..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..