Godzilla or Godzilla?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Godzilla or Godzilla?

Post by Doc Dan »

That was just the point. The critique of Japanese government and society, all cookie cutter images of each other and the same incapacity for action.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It's really funny this subject would come up. I just heard the old Blue Oyster Cult song entitled "GODZILLA" on the radio yesterday and I hadn't heard it in quite some time.

Some of the older Japan made GODZILLA movies where the lips of the people are not in sync with what is supposedly being said I've always found rather comical. The age old battle of King Kong versus GODZILLA is certainly a permanent part of our movie culture.

With all the biotech, nanotech and other high technologies progressing as they are I've always wondered if science were ever to make a monster of that proportion. I do wonder at times what dark aspects of science is taking place behind the scenes. It could be really creepy needless to say.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:37 am
It's really funny this subject would come up. I just heard the old Blue Oyster Cult song entitled "GODZILLA" on the radio yesterday and I hadn't heard it in quite some time.

Some of the older Japan made GODZILLA movies where the lips of the people are not in sync with what is supposedly being said I've always found rather comical. The age old battle of King Kong versus GODZILLA is certainly a permanent part of our movie culture.

With all the biotech, nanotech and other high technologies progressing as they are I've always wondered if science were ever to make a monster of that proportion. I do wonder at times what dark aspects of science is taking place behind the scenes. It could be really creepy needless to say.

Joe,

That's because the actors were speaking Japanese, and they were dubbed over in Engligh for the American/Western market. I always hated English dubbing, because it never captures the true emotions that the actors are portraying. Once I first started seeing Japanese and Hong Kong movies in original language with English subtitles back in the '70s, I've preferred subtitled versions. It's a whole different vibe when you hear the actors' voices in their actual language, instead of being distracted by the out-of-sync and dorky-sounding English dubbing. There are also some things that cannot be accurately translated from Japanese into English.

Some people say they don't want to have to read when watching movies. But when you become used to subtitles, you reach a point where you forget you're even reading them, because it becomes instinctual. Almost like a form of speed reading.

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

James Y wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:41 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:37 am

Joe,

That's because the actors were speaking Japanese, and they were dubbed over in Engligh for the American/Western market. I always hated English dubbing, because it never captures the true emotions that the actors are portraying. Once I first started seeing Japanese and Hong Kong movies in original language with English subtitles back in the '70s, I've preferred subtitled versions. It's a whole different vibe when you hear the actors' voices in their actual language, instead of being distracted by the out-of-sync and dorky-sounding English dubbing. There are also some things that cannot be accurately translated from Japanese into English.

Some people say they don't want to have to read when watching movies. But when you become used to subtitles, you reach a point where you forget you're even reading them, because it becomes instinctual. Almost like a form of speed reading.

Jim
This is true for me, except when I'm tired. Then I choose the dubbed version and complain about the dubbing! :squinting-tongue
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001