Switch Gamers

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

Switch Gamers

Post by vivi »

Seems we have a few Switch gamers here.

What are you currently playing?

I'm working my way through this first person RPG and the Mario 3D All Stars collection.

Aside from my two primary games, I also do runs in Dead Cells, Enter the Gungeon and Mana Spark every so often.

On the backburner are two series I'm working through. The original 3 Dragonquest games and the entire DOOM series. I'm at the final level of Dragonquest 1, and have beat the first two episodes on the original DOOM.

What are you playing?
:unicorn
MacLaren

Re: Switch Gamers

Post by MacLaren »

My 11 year old daughter loves her Switch Lite
I just bought her Mario Kart 8
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

My son is 9 years old an we love playing Mario games together. Especially Mario Kart.
vivi

Post by vivi »

austrian_spyder_fan wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:02 pm
My son is 9 years old an we love playing Mario games together. Especially Mario Kart.
Same thing I've been doing. Me and my 4 year old have been going through Mario 64. We also do Enter the Gungeon together. Bought the Switch for us but ended up finding a lot of fun games for me too.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I've had a PS4 since it came out, but rarely play it..
vivi

Post by vivi »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:19 pm
I've had a PS4 since it came out, but rarely play it..
I think I got mine in 2016. Mine is used for media more than anything. Can't remember the last time I played a game on it.
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

I downloaded a couple ps+ games over the summer that we enjoyed. Id love a portable but not sure I would be able to justify that and a ps5. As you said the ps can be a mean media player so that one is easy
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
vivi

Post by vivi »

If all you're looking for is a media player PS3's aren't bad either unless you're using 4K, which it doesn't support as far as I know. On PS3's you can copy media directly to the hard drive instead of being restricted to streaming and thumb drives. So I keep mine loaded up with cartoons and PG music in the kids room.

One PS4 game mine likes is Rime. Its all about exploring a colorful island and figuring out simple puzzles.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I'm interested in the switch, but usually play pc games. The epic games store has free games all the time (GOOD games!) so I have a decent library and haven't paid a cent. My Steam library is nice too!

I'm into Elite Dangerous and Assetto Corsa mostly, but my wife is usually on my computer playing her Black Desert Online characters. I don't play much anyway... Usually messing with my knives, working, sleeping, playing with the kid... You know, adult stuff!

I do want the switch for the old games though. Zelda and Castlevania, Mario... Memories!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I mostly play xbox games with my brother and coworkers. However, I also have a PS4 for the exclusives (and I like the feel of the controller better). My younger brother came down for a visit recently, and we busted out the Switch to play Super Smash Brothers all last week - it was a blast! I also need to finish working my way through Breath of the Wild, and I just bought Super Mario Odyssey. I have Mario Kart 8 as well of course.

For PS4 I have about 10 games. For Xbox I've probably got 200. Probably 200 on Steam too, but I don't really play games on my PC anymore - I get sick of looking at computers after dealing with them all day.
--Jeremy
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I've been debating getting a Switch for some time now. Is there any reason to go with the Lite over the console? Inquiring minds want to know.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:53 am
I've been debating getting a Switch for some time now. Is there any reason to go with the Lite over the console? Inquiring minds want to know.
I have both.

Personally, I would choose the Lite. As an adult who doesn't always have time to sit down and play, it's portability is really nice. Also, the regular one is quite large and while the removable controllers are great for quick multiplayer sessions, they also are an extra point of weakness.

My Lite has better battery life than my OG. But, not as good as the v2 Switch(all of the new ones).

Really, it comes down to what you want. If, like me, you are mainly wanting an EPIC handheld, the Lite has no equal. If you want to play a lot of impromptu multiplayer sessions or hook it up to the TV, get a regular one.

Edit: The flip cover and a tempered glass(plastic) screen protector make it bulletproof. The actual Nintendo flip cover(grey) is expensive, but worth it. The white case, is nice. But, I only use it to hold games, now.

I'm looking for a better option for the game storage.

Here's my setup:
Last edited by Sumdumguy on Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:13 am
I have both...

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the Lite as I am not a hardcore gamer. How bad is the "drift" I keep hearing about in the controllers?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:18 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:13 am
I have both...

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the Lite as I am not a hardcore gamer. How bad is the "drift" I keep hearing about in the controllers?
Honestly, my old one became unusable due to it. Had to buy a pro controller for my daughter to keep playing it.

Neither of my Lites have had any issues. Not saying it can't happen. But, my yellow one has a lot of hours(~1000) on it and has zero issues. I bought my wife a teal one a couple of months ago and hers hasn't shown any signs of trouble, either.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

If it's not knives, it's something else. This form consistently has me wanting to spend money. Thanks for all of the feedback.
vivi

Post by vivi »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:53 am
I had both. Lite was the only one I could find in stock at first.

I realized I didn't play it outside the house much, so that made me want the regular version. Being able to play on my TV is nice, and when I do play in portable mode I have longer battery life and a bigger screen.

Playing the Lite in portable mode it does feel more sturdy. Being lighter and smaller makes it easier to carry around. Uou also save $100.

But, on the full size switch, you can remove both joycons and make it smaller than the Lite. It also has a built in kickstand for table top playinyg, while the Lite requires something to prop it up.

The full switch offers higher resolution and framerates in most games when you play docked VS portable. It isn't a huge difference for single player games, but its night for more competitive online gaming.

With both versions I rarely use joycons and instead use a bluetooth controller styled after the SNES controller with modern additions, like an extra set of R and L buttons, and two analog sticks.

So it comes down to how you see yourself playing it. If I was a kid looking to play it on the go on road trips like I used the original gameboy for, I'd want the Lite. As an adult that does 99% of his gaming inside the house, the regular appeals to me more.

Lastly, if you're into homebrew and modding, the old switch is the best to get. v1 non-lite. I have the v2 and its not easy to mod. Hopefully someday I can get it modded and load it up with old gameboy / gameboy advance games.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I slightly agree with this ^^

The only place I will disagree, is the size. With the joycons off, it is not as long. But, it's still tall and an awkward shape for toting around.

I have only docked my old Switch a handful of times(2?). Usually when I get a chance to sit down and play, the TVs are ocupado.

I do enjoy using it as just the screen and pro controller(except the kickstand is awful on anything but perfectly flat, hard surfaces). If they had the right case for just the screen and a pro controller, the v2 Switch would be a lot more competitive as a portable system.

Funny you mention homebrew. That's the only reason I didn't upgrade it to the v2. Eventually, it will be turned into the ultimate rom machine.

-Thomas Jefferson
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Picked up Katamari Damacy for $12.99 at Best Buy. Online, picked up at the store.

Haven't played it in a very long time. But, I remember it being a pretty fun game.

-Thomas Jefferson
przemekspce

Post by przemekspce »

I bought a Switch to play mainly The Witcher 3. In addition, I played Diablo3, Zelda BOTW, MarioKart Deluxe 8, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice, Doom and Doom3, Wolfenstein, Metro.
Indie games are fun too - Ape Out, Miami Hotline, Serial Cleaner, Butcher. LOL I've had a switch for a year now and it wasn't until I started writing this list that I realized it was quite long.

I've been playing Hades for several days, I like it a lot.
:bug-red-white Instagram: przemekspce :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

przemekspce wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:58 pm
I bought a Switch to play mainly The Witcher 3. In addition, I played Diablo3, Zelda BOTW, MarioKart Deluxe 8, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice, Doom and Doom3, Wolfenstein, Metro.
Indie games are fun too - Ape Out, Miami Hotline, Serial Cleaner, Butcher. LOL I've had a switch for a year now and it wasn't until I started writing this list that I realized it was quite long.

I've been playing Hades for several days, I like it a lot.
BotW is amazing but I haven't had the time to get very far. One day I'll finish it! It reminds me a lot of the very first Zelda from the mid 80's. Very open world with tons of freedom to roam.