What is the weirdest thing in science and nature that you know?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

What is the weirdest thing in science and nature that you know?

Post by Doc Dan »

What is the weirdest thing in science and nature that you know about? One thing I find weird and fascinating is that there is a type of fungus that makes zombies out of ants before it eats them. It literally introduces mind control chemicals into the ant's brain and forces the ant to do its bidding. It sounds like science fiction but it is real.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Re: What is the weirdest thing in science and nature that you know?

Post by Mushroom »

I guess something I know that I can add to your fact is that the fungus you described is called Cordyceps and there are actually hundreds of unique different kinds of cordyceps that infect a variety of insects and animals. Some cordyceps are even used medicinally.
-Nick :bug-red
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

To me the weirdest thing in nature is life itself! Think about it. The big bang, billions of years pass and stars and planets form and die. Over time proteins and amino acids form, simple life comes into being. A long, long path of evolution ensues and somehow, some way, by chance WE and all life as we know it evolves to what we see today. It's just amazing (and painful!) to think about!

We are the manifestation of the universe, attempting to know itself. It's breathtaking in my opinion, and weird. I mean, what is life? Yea, it's early, I haven't had enough coffee, but I often ponder what would have happened if just one little thing happened differently. Where would we be? Would humans have even made it? How did we come to create all this wonderful technology? Why do I love knives so much?

I wonder if the answer really is 42?....
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The universe is an ongoing explosion. That is where you live. In an explosion.

We have no idea what living actually is. Sometimes when atoms get arranged in a certain way they get haunted.

That’s us. When an explosion explodes hard enough dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

The weirdest thing is that all of this even exists in the first place.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

...that you can ignite a left cheek sneak :p
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Black Holes are weird, scary and have more mass than anything we can possibly imagine. But that isn't the weirdest thing in science and nature that I know.

The weirdest thing in science and nature that I know is that in some galaxies there may be intelligent life that can see with the naked eye neighboring solar systems getting devoured by a nearby black hole. How terrifying that must be.....
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:18 am

We have no idea what living actually is. Sometimes when atoms get arranged in a certain way they get haunted.

That’s us. When an explosion explodes hard enough dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Eloquent words there, hoss. I had to google that, and think I came up with the original source. Is that guy you?
bearfacedkiller

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:09 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Eloquent words there, hoss. I had to google that, and think I came up with the original source. Is that guy you?
No sir. I follow a bunch of philosophy pages on IG and came across that gem. I spend too much time thinking about the absurdity of existence. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

soc_monki wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:17 am

I wonder if the answer really is 42?....
It must be because a really big computer calculated it over a very long time. 6 to the first power + 6 to the second power = 42.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:18 am
RustyIron wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

No sir. I follow a bunch of philosophy pages on IG and came across that gem. I spend too much time thinking about the absurdity of existence. :)
To quote someone famous... "we're all made of star stuff!"
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
James Y

Post by James Y »

The vastness of nature itself. As far as our knowledge and technologies have advanced and how jaded we often become, that there is still, and always will be, far more about nature/this universe than we will ever know.

Jim
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:51 am
Really!

My car runs on compressed natural gas, (mostly methane,) and it's Octane rating is about 130. Hard stuff to light off. :D
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Pokey wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:28 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:51 am
Really!

My car runs on compressed natural gas, (mostly methane,) and it's Octane rating is about 130. Hard stuff to light off. :D
"pyroflatulence flatus ignition or fire breathing dragon" Ah yes, the things you find on Wikipedia when you are bored:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fart_lighting :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
bearfacedkiller

soc_monki wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:12 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
RustyIron wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Yes! I have a Carl Sagan T-shirt! Cherish the pale blue dot!

The fact that “life” formed on this planet is amazing for sure but what is many times more amazing is that this planet developed “life” with consciousness. It is the awareness of being alive that truly amazes me. That is of course making the bold assumption that what we are experiencing is even real.
-Darby
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:38 am
soc_monki wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:12 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
RustyIron wrote:

Yes! I have a Carl Sagan T-shirt! Cherish the pale blue dot!

The fact that “life” formed on this planet is amazing for sure but what is many times more amazing is that this planet developed “life” with consciousness. It is the awareness of being alive that truly amazes me. That is of course making the bold assumption that what we are experiencing is even real.
We may be a simulation, not "real" but would we even be able to tell? It makes me think when I play the Sims or a similar game that those "people" may actually be aware of what is going on. It makes me play differently. Maybe dumb, but do we ever really know?

What really gets me is how we not only are aware, and conscious, and have a sense of self, but that we form meaningful relationships with others. I couldn't imagine life without my wife and son, they are both precious to me. How that all comes from chemical reactions and electrical impulses in my brain and body I don't know, but I'm glad it does.

*mind blown*
vivi

Post by vivi »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Göbekli_Tepe - This discovery raises all sorts of questions about our established timeline of the history of human civilizations. They also found interesting artifacts at this buried site, like these little beads with perfectly drilled holes, from 10,000-12,000 years ago:

Biblically accurate angels, like the one Ezekiel saw:

There are theories the early Christians took psychadelics, such as https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria which is found in many many early Christian artworks. Burning bush, flying wheels of eyes on fire....who knows. Some people think these substances lead to delusional hallucination, some believe they're tapping into divine energies and transcending into alternate dimensions.

The moon is the perfect distance away from Earth and the Sun to make solar eclipses happen when you factor in the size of the Moon and Sun. People living in the distant future will not be able to experience them. The Moon happens to be about 400 times smaller than the Sun, but the Sun happens to be about 400 times further from the Earth than the Moon is. So simple geometry tells us that the apparent disk of the Moon is almost exactly the size of the apparent disk of the Sun.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/li ... incidence/ - quite a coincidence.

I'm a big fan of out of place artifacts. Consider the Antikythera Mechanism - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism From what we know about the ancient greeks they should not have had this level of sophistication of manufacturing.

Bimini Road is interesting if you're into old maps. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bimini_Road There is an early 16th century map by Piri Reis that shows an island located where Bimini Road currently lies underwater:

This whole branch of life is fascinating - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ctenophora

Polynesians and South Americans pro-created in the pre-columbus era. Vikings also made a few establishments in North America within the same chronological ballpark. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Anse_aux_Meadows

Our history is much less linear than we've been led to believe.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

This is pretty amazing. Soft tissue, including blood vessels and many different proteins, found within dinosaur fossils.

https://answersingenesis.org/fossils/dinosaur-tissue/

As a Jurassic Park fan, this sounds distinctly promising. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:18 pm
This is pretty amazing. Soft tissue, including blood vessels and many different proteins, found within dinosaur fossils.

https://answersingenesis.org/fossils/dinosaur-tissue/

As a Jurassic Park fan, this sounds distinctly promising. ;)
The scientists were so preoccupied with if they could they didn't stop and think if they should....

Or something like that! :D
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

soc_monki wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:45 pm

The scientists were so preoccupied with if they could they didn't stop and think if they should....

Or something like that! :D
Exactly! :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I don’t know if it’s really science but check this out.

These are both the full length version a couple hours each but they have shorter versions on YouTube as well. It’s worth a look if you’re curious about what’s out there.

Commander David Fravor
https://youtu.be/Eco2s3-0zsQ

Bob Lazar
https://youtu.be/BEWz4SXfyCQ
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”