My New Book is out

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

My New Book is out

Post by Doc Dan »

I just wanted to let you all know that my new book, Fall Planet is out. It is a Sci-fi book, combining science and imagination. It is an on the edge of your seat page turner with mystery and action adventure.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M43YCTP/re ... 357&sr=8-1

I hope you all enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it. My beta testers (students from 14 to 40) all loved it and are asking for a sequel.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Re: My New Book is out

Post by MacLaren »

Cool!!
Consider your 1st sold to me!
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc:

Congratulations!

Will it eventually be available in a paperback version?

Jim
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I'm in the middle of reading it right now, and so far, it's been a great read! There are a lot of very interesting and creative ideas and what promises to be a complex and climactic plot.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Bravo!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Congratulations on your book release.

Now that you are a published author, and I "know you" or can reach out to you here, there is one thing that I would like, and I'll buy it as long as it is very very thorough.

Write a book about how to go about doing what you have done. I am sure that it was not easy, and I'd like to read that story. All the nitty gritty details....be specific, every nut and bolt!

- did you take courses in lit, composition, publishing, art work, ...
- how you wrote your book (your interests, your research, how did you develop the story, ...)
- how you put it to paper (did you use a computer, what special software, or did you use voice to text, ...)
- how did you get published (every step, with contact names, publishers, how to get on Amazon, ...)
- how much time did it take

I'll give you $10 to $15 for that book!!!!

You did something that millions would like to do and have no idea how to go about doing. Who knows, maybe I'll write a book too! But I have not got a clue as to all the specifics.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:30 am
I'm in the middle of reading it right now, and so far, it's been a great read! There are a lot of very interesting and creative ideas and what promises to be a complex and climactic plot.
Thanks! I appreciate it. I am glad you are enjoying it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:06 pm
Congratulations on your book release.

Now that you are a published author, and I "know you" or can reach out to you here, there is one thing that I would like, and I'll buy it as long as it is very very thorough.

Write a book about how to go about doing what you have done. I am sure that it was not easy, and I'd like to read that story. All the nitty gritty details....be specific, every nut and bolt!

- did you take courses in lit, composition, publishing, art work, ...
- how you wrote your book (your interests, your research, how did you develop the story, ...)
- how you put it to paper (did you use a computer, what special software, or did you use voice to text, ...)
- how did you get published (every step, with contact names, publishers, how to get on Amazon, ...)
- how much time did it take

I'll give you $10 to $15 for that book!!!!

You did something that millions would like to do and have no idea how to go about doing. Who knows, maybe I'll write a book too! But I have not got a clue as to all the specifics.
I did not really take any classes, but I have written some short stories in the past. I read a lot. I read fantasy, sci-fi, classics, philosophy, science articles and books, and etc. All of those come out in my writing, perhaps. I did take a course from Patterson, a best selling author. It had some helpful information but the biggest take away for me was making a detailed outline, and I mean very detailed.

Udemy has a number of courses from well known authors. I will take some more of them when I have time.

If I get good enough, I'll write a book like that one day. As it is, I am still learning.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Thank you for the tip! I agree, 50 pages or 500 pages the outline has to be very detailed or writing goes off the rails quickly.

Recently I have not read a lot of SciFi, but I'll buy your book! I hope that you sell quite a few of them.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks! Let me know how you like it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

James Y wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:47 am
Doc:

Congratulations!

Jim
I plan to do that. I need to fix a few errors that popped up in the manuscript, but I am tired to reading it over and over right now. I am outlining the sequel because my students are bugging me for a followup.

Probably by the end of the year I will be able to get a paperback ready. Maybe sooner.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:42 am
James Y wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:47 am
Doc:

Congratulations!

Jim
I plan to do that. I need to fix a few errors that popped up in the manuscript, but I am tired to reading it over and over right now. I am outlining the sequel because my students are bugging me for a followup.

Probably by the end of the year I will be able to get a paperback ready. Maybe sooner.

Awesome! Take your time, Doc, don’t burn yourself out. I will buy one when it comes out!

Jim
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Well I finished the book yesterday. Partly because it's a somewhat short book, but also because I didn't want to put it down until I'd finished. :)
As I said before, it's got a lot of really intriguing and creative sci-fi concepts. And the plot flows well without any distractions or irrelevant digressions. I did spot a few typos as Doc mentioned, but doubtless these will be addressed in the future.

I think the book also lays a great foundation for any number of sequels, and I will be looking forward to reading more if and when Doc writes them.

And of course, it goes without saying that I like the Spyderco reference. ;)

Excellent work, Doc. Well done. Keep us posted about any upcoming sequels!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Doc, you brought this crusty old Luddite kicking and screaming into the third millennium.
The Kendall app is now on my acer Chromebook and your book is in my Kendall cloud
and I'm reading it. My first ebook. Congratulations Doc and best wishes for success.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:33 pm
Well I finished the book yesterday. Partly because it's a somewhat short book, but also because I didn't want to put it down until I'd finished. :)
As I said before, it's got a lot of really intriguing and creative sci-fi concepts. And the plot flows well without any distractions or irrelevant digressions. I did spot a few typos as Doc mentioned, but doubtless these will be addressed in the future.

I think the book also lays a great foundation for any number of sequels, and I will be looking forward to reading more if and when Doc writes them.

Yeah, sorry about the typos. I think I accidentally published the draft instead of the final product. Yikes! Well, I will correct them. Thanks for pointing that out.

I am glad you enjoyed the book. Yes, it is short. It was my first attempt at fiction. Also, I hate it when a story drags on forever unnecessarily.

Thanks for the good review.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:35 pm
Doc, you brought this crusty old Luddite kicking and screaming into the third millennium.
The Kendall app is now on my acer Chromebook and your book is in my Kendall cloud
and I'm reading it. My first ebook. Congratulations Doc and best wishes for success.
Hahaha! Welcome to the 21st Century! I'm glad I am the reason you made it.

I hope you enjoy the book.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:32 am
Cool!!
Consider your 1st sold to me!
If you like the book, go to Amazon and give me a good review. Thanks

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:33 pm

If you like it give me a good review on Amazon.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:53 am

If you like it give me a good review on Amazon.
I submitted a review yesterday, but I don't know if Amazon has put it up yet.
- Connor

Doc Dan

Re: My New Paperback Book

Post by Doc Dan »

I submitted the paperback book for publishing. It will be out once it is approved by the publishing fairies. I'll let you all know when it is available.

I also corrected a few mistakes in the eBook version. That is already done.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050