How often do you carry discontinued knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Pokey

Re: How often do you carry discontinued knives?

Post by Pokey »

Sprint Runs and Flash Batches are “discontinued” by design.

I carried the Bombshell yesterday.
Attachments
37B2C8CF-4DCF-492D-8013-9CF22A7E83B3.jpeg
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:14 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:55 am
It all kind of depends for me. I have several discontinued models that I have no problem carrying and using. About the only ones that I'm a little leery of carrying are my small Persian and Sage 4. That's because those polished bolsters are so easily scratched and I have other similar models I can use instead.
Always very jealous of seeing a rare Sage 4!! I was a little late to the game for that one, but oh baby...classy carry only, no keys or anything else in that pocket. A real beauty!
I got my Sage 4 from a sporting goods store, new old stock, $160 :)

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Such an awesome knife and so different from most Spyderco's. LOVE IT!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:42 am
Very well said Jim, and also as Sal always says...something along the lines of if you don't use the knife, you can't appreciate it's design. I think I'll take his word for it! I can't imagine having my 5 Manix's and never using them because they are all sprints/exclusives!! I'd have missed out on my most favorite model I've tried yet, just to look at it on a stand or kept away in a safe.

I couldn’t agree more. I really couldn’t enjoy a knife that I’m so protective of that I’m afraid to even touch it, let alone use it. Then owning the knife almost becomes a stress point. Maybe I’ll have to just take out my Wegner someday and start using it. :eek:

I have an old discontinued large CRK “Regular” Sebenza that I got in 2002 that I’m not afraid to use. It’s fairly scratched up, and I had to completely reprofile its edge. At one point, the “regular” Sebenza models were highly sought-after, after they were discontinued in favor of the Sebenza 21 (or “classic” Sebenza) design. Personally, I think that my 21 (which was bought much later) feels better in the hand.

Jim
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I carry irreplaceable one-off customs on a daily basis. When I find a production knife I really like, I'll buy an extra or two for when the first one dies or gets lost. Discontinued doesn't keep me from carrying what I want.