RIP Eddie Van Halen

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Woodpuppy

RIP Eddie Van Halen

Post by Woodpuppy »

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/ico ... m=21710873

A sad day for classic rock music lovers and his family. I guess this will happen more and more the older I get? I started listening to Van Halen in 3rd grade, 36 years ago. Or at least that’s as far back as I can remember drawing the VH logo on my folders and homework etc.
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacLaren

Re: RIP Eddie Van Halen

Post by MacLaren »

R.I.P. E.VH
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:25 pm
R.I.P. E.VH
Yes, RIP Eddie Van Halen. Such a magical guitar player. Up there with Hendrix and Satriani. A true genius.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

RIP to the man with the most memorable guitar solos of the 80s
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Pouring one out. I got 1984 on vinyl for my birthday that year. It was hot off the presses, released mere weeks earlier.

I was also drawing the VH logo on my notebooks, folders etc.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah I saw that earlier. He sure made his mark on the music industry over the years. He was without a doubt one of the greatest guitar players ever.

It's really strange in a way because just two days ago I was talking to a friend in amazement that the Rolling Stones are all still alive and they are older than he was when he passed. You just never know :(
James Y

Post by James Y »

RIP.

Jim
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

R.I.P Eddie. Loved VH growing up and even more when Sammy joined the band!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Van Halen was a local band that started busting out back when I was in junior high. They actually played at Mrs. Iron's high school. I never saw them in a small venue, but several times when they were headlining. They can be blamed in large part for the incessant ringing in my ears that lingers to this day.
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Bummer.
Metal / Hard Rock Guitar 'HERO' For The Ages!

R.I.P. Eddie -- you are Sorely Missed, and your Huge Indelible Mark will Live On in the Annals and the Heart of Rock & Roll Forever. ;)

===============================================================
I am very fortunate to have met with him in person for a while, along with Diamond Dave -- (long story) when Van Halen II came out / 1980- ish concert here in Denver.

He helped shape me as a fellow axe slinger from my humble beginnings
since high school -- I will never forget him! :D

--BRUCE GIBSON :cool: :cool:
Last edited by SkullBouncer on Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

dp
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I can remember as a kid hearing a new rock sound coming across the radio of my father's car... it was so different from all the other rock hits being played at the time... it was, "Runnin' with the Devil," by a new band called Van Halen... it was such a powerful sounding song from a band with an equally powerful and cool sounding name. And, the band's sound was so unique that it was easy to pick out over the other songs being played on the radio, even if you didn't know who it was... I just always knew that sound was from Van Halen.

Then came MTV and we got to see Van Halen on the screen... it was so amazing watching Eddie work his magic on the guitar. There just wasn't many people out there that could bring out such sounds from the steel strings of an electric guitar. I was quite impressed. And, I enjoyed both the David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar years, but the beautiful sound coming off the lead guitar never changed.

Rest in peace, Mr. Van Halen, and thank you for sharing your magic with us.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

His music is immortal.
RIP
benben

Post by benben »

My first time seeing them was the Fair Warning tour in 1981, I think? Such a fun time in my life, as in really fun!!

RIP Eddie, you absolutely left your mark, glad I was lucky enough to see you.....several times!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Interestingly, his family is from Indonesia and so the Indonesians like to claim him as their own. Before Indonesia got its independence from the Dutch, his parents lived there. Then they left and he was born. They eventually immigrated to the USA. He is an immigrant to the USA success story.

Personally, I thought he was a better guitarist than Hendrix.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Years ago I worked with a guy who as a kid would pile into the car on a Sunday afternoon with his parents and drive from the Valley to Pasadena to visit friends. Once they got there the kids would head out and play with the other neighborhood kids. Jim said he got to meet a couple of brothers in the bunch they ran around with. They were Eddie and Alex. Years later Jim was a big fan of the Van Halens.