New to me S&W 27-2

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

New to me S&W 27-2

Post by MacLaren »

So, I finally scored a long time grail gun.
A 1978 Smith & Wesson Model 27-2!!
The seller said it was never fired, other than from the factory. Now, most time I would say, I bet yiu have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell me as well? Lol.....but, its kinda hard to argue with the shape this pistol is in.....there's just a real magic to the pre lock Smith & Wesson revolvers. Especially from the '70's and before .....and, thsinone is tight. If she's been shot, it's either from the factory or not a lot at all. The forcing cone looks like it just left the factory, absolutely no bluing loss except the very, very, faint turn line.....
I'm just a happy camper gang....
MacLaren

Re: New to me S&W 27-2

Post by MacLaren »

I was talkin to my go 2 guy, OldHoosier62 about which revolver would feel better in hand, the L frame 586 I just got, or this big N Frame 27.
I was worried the big N frame might be too big, but it actually feels better in the hand! As a matter of fact, I like it quite a bit better. Balance seems just better to me. This 27 is just wonderful!
However, the 27 is really tight and the single action trigger weight is 3.5 pounds as compared to the 2.5 pounds of the 586. So, ill give a slight advantage in the trigger dept to the 586.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey MAC I hope I'm not too far off your subject but I've just got to ask you a couple of questions. A few years back I had an S&W model 39, 9mm auto handgun and it wasn't bad at all. But I did like the Glock guns better>> but I've never had a Smith gun of any caliber that wasn't accurate.

Another question I would like to ask>> Does Sig Sauer still make a decent weapon? And are they still German made?

Also years ago I had a buddy who had a Smith & Wesson model 29 44mag revolver and it was a monster of a gun. There was no way I could shoot that gun one handed :o :D
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

A little jealous? You bet! Very, very nice indeed. Too nice for me, I need them to have their first scars before I get them so I feel no guilt in using them.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They don’t build them like they used to. Nice score!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:58 am
Hey MAC I hope I'm not too far off your subject but I've just got to ask you a couple of questions. A few years back I had an S&W model 39, 9mm auto handgun and it wasn't bad at all. But I did like the Glock guns better>> but I've never had a Smith gun of any caliber that wasn't accurate.

Another question I would like to ask>> Does Sig Sauer still make a decent weapon? And are they still German made?

Also years ago I had a buddy who had a Smith & Wesson model 29 44mag revolver and it was a monster of a gun. There was no way I could shoot that gun one handed :o :D
Sigs are mostly or completely made in the US these days. You would be safe to say they are a US company nowadays.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:01 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

Sigs are mostly or completely made in the US these days. You would be safe to say they are a US company nowadays.
Glad to know that. I've kind of been out of the gun scene in the past 4 years or so because of medical stuff and low on funds :o My brother had a German made Sig Sauer 9mm and it was a really sweet gun.

Also few people remember that when Colt gun company were selling high powered deer rifles they were mostly made by Sig Sauer. And that was one fine rifle from what I remember too. Again thanks for the update :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:

I would reiterate what JR said.
But, if I were to buy a US made Sig, I would send it to Robert Burke for a trigger job. Its just so well worth the money. And, Robert Burke, aka The Sig Armorer, is backed by Sig. In other words, his trigger work will not void your warranty. So, if ya get a Sig, send it to Robert.
It's night and day difference brother.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:59 am
A little jealous? You bet! Very, very nice indeed. Too nice for me, I need them to have their first scars before I get them so I feel no guilt in using them.
Thanx man!!!
I'm happier than a pig in chit, brother!!! :D
Guess I'm just a wheel gun man when it boils down to it. Just feels so dam right in hand.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:00 pm
They don’t build them like they used to. Nice score!
Thanx Darby, this one is just immaculate man.
Just look over me, Ive honestly never been happier over a gun purchase.
Not even a Sig X5 Black and White gave this kind a groovy feelin man :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

This one came with the optional Mahogany Presentation Case. Its in fantastic shape itself
You'll notice that one tool is missing, and also the original blue box did not come with it
But, thats just fine by me, because this baby will be shot and had a good time with.
I'm just very happy to have one.
I like it quite a bit better than the 586......didn't really think I would either, lol
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Very nice score. Uber cool!!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

M Sea wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:38 pm
Very nice score. Uber cool!!
Thank you!
The balance and feel in hand are just absolutely outstanding....
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Very nice catch!
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:26 pm
Very nice catch!
Thank you, Paul. :D
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Nice 27!
I've got a 4" Mod 28 Highway patrol. Nowhere near as nice a finish as yours but pinned and recessed and action is smooth as can be :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Cycletroll wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:01 pm
Nice 27!
I've got a 4" Mod 28 Highway patrol. Nowhere near as nice a finish as yours but pinned and recessed and action is smooth as can be :)
Thank you, sir.
I know what ya mean. They are smooth as silk.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Gorgeous! What a great find! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

DSH007 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:38 pm
Gorgeous! What a great find! :)
Man, I honestly feel like I hit the jackpot....
Feels like its never been fired, - they actually said it hadn't been fired.
Everything about it nice and tight.....I love it
And, thank you.