Production knife classics? (Modern)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bloke

Re: Production knife classics? (Modern)

Post by Bloke »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:12 pm
Gerber Sportsman 1, 2 and 3 were classics in their day. 440C and even Vascowear ( a few years in the 80's in the Sportsman 2 ). Pretty sporty stuff for those days.
Hey Joe, I remember the Sportsman although I never owned one but I had a flash ivory micarta folder back then around the mid 80’s plus a Pixie, Bird and Trout and a Coho. Lost the folder and the Pixie, broke the Bird and Trout but the old Coho is still floating about here somewhere. :)

Pretty sure this is the folder I had. :cool:

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
James Y

Post by James Y »

Speaking of Gerber, one knife that should be mentioned is Gerber’s LST. It was the very first knife with a Zytel (FRN) handle and was linerless as well. It paved the way for all the FRN-handles knives that followed. Is it still in production?

Jim
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

C4B99CFB-854C-4B2E-B1C7-9F7FE9FBE730.jpeg
These are all still in production and have more than stood the test of time. The 110 is a new version with the s35vn steel and Micarta inserts. Its absolutely hands down the most solid feeling folder I have. It was a DLT exclusive and is quickly becoming a new favorite. I know the Benchmade Proper at the bottom is new also but its a slip joint and mixes the old classic style with upgraded steel (s30v) and Micarta scales. Love the Proper!!!
James Y

Post by James Y »

M Sea wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:35 pm
C4B99CFB-854C-4B2E-B1C7-9F7FE9FBE730.jpegThese are all still in production and have more than stood the test of time. The 110 is a new version with the s35vn steel and Micarta inserts. Its absolutely hands down the most solid feeling folder I have. It was a DLT exclusive and is quickly becoming a new favorite. I know the Benchmade Proper at the bottom is new also but its a slip joint and mixes the old classic style with upgraded steel (s30v) and Micarta scales. Love the Proper!!!
Those are some beautiful knives, M Sea!

Jim
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

James Y wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:09 pm
M Sea wrote:
C4B99CFB-854C-4B2E-B1C7-9F7FE9FBE730.jpegThese are all still in production and have more than stood the test of time. The 110 is a new version with the s35vn steel and Micarta inserts. Its absolutely hands down the most solid feeling folder I have. It was a DLT exclusive and is quickly becoming a new favorite. I know the Benchmade Proper at the bottom is new also but its a slip joint and mixes the old classic style with upgraded steel (s30v) and Micarta scales. Love the Proper!!!
Those are some beautiful knives, M Sea!

Thank you sir, very fond of them myself.
Jim
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Sorry, meant to say to James Y, my thanks for his compliments on my photo.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Lots of great knives mentioned here. Here's my take for the large, American-based manufacturers.

Spyderco: Delica/Endura, Para Military 2/Para 3, Native, Tenacious
Benchmade: AFCK, 940
Buck: 110/112 Ranger
Kershaw: Leek, Blur, Skyline
CRKT: M-16 Series
Chris Reeve: Sebenza
Gerber: Gator series.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

M Sea wrote:
I really love that 110 with Micarta. I've been thinking about picking up the 112 Ranger slimline in Micarta.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:59 pm
M Sea wrote:
I really love that 110 with Micarta. I've been thinking about picking up the 112 Ranger slimline in Micarta.
Do It!! Its a solid folder. Its up there with my PM2’s, Grips etc., as far as edc goes. That nostalgiac feeling of opening the 110 is just cool as ****. And s35vn and Micarta at that price is great. Such a solid feeling knife👍
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

James Y wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:53 am
Speaking of Gerber, one knife that should be mentioned is Gerber’s LST. It was the very first knife with a Zytel (FRN) handle and was linerless as well. It paved the way for all the FRN-handles knives that followed. Is it still in production?

Jim
Still in production, still made in the usa

Gerber in the 70s-80s was so innovative
paladin

Post by paladin »

BUSSE Team Gemini Light Brigade

What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

James Y wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:53 am

Jim
I always carried a small Buck in my pocket because we carried several models in our gun store. Problem was they were kind of heavy for their size and I could always feel them in the bottom of my pocket. When we started to carry a few Gerber models I bought a LST and loved it. I thought it was the greatest things because I couldn't feel it in my pocket. I seem to recall they made a couple sizes back then because I had a small one that was a little bigger than a Manbug. I think that little LST is the reason I like the Manbugs so much.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

When I think of a “modern” classic I think the worker wins along side the Police SS.

Modern to me means two hand opening and no belt sheath.
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

When I was still quite a fan of the Boker line of knives there was one group of them I really liked. It was the GEMINI series. That was the first knife I ever owned that had X-15 TN stainless blade. That steel was great working around salt water. Now do keep in mind I owned and used one of the Boker Gemini models before Spyderco ever launched their Salt Series.

Boker has always been one of my favorite commercial knife companies for quite a while. Also all through my teenage and high school days I owned and used quite a few Ka-Bar knives. And for their time they weren't bad at all. The Ka-Bar blades along with Buck and Case were all great blades for a guy to start out on.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Yes, also a Boker fan growing up. Slip joints and especially the Buck 110/112 in all versions just take me back to the beginning. For me, that was cruising garage sales and pawn shops in the early 80's. Great times, classic knives that have withstood the test of time. The Fact that most of them are still in "modern" production just makes them even cooler👍
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

“The” Ka-Bar. You know the one you are picturing right now, that’s the one. For multitools, the classic Swiss Army knife. For folders, I’d have to say the Buck 110 and the Spyderco Police SS.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.