Jimi & Janis: Strange Circumstances Of Their Demise

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Jimi & Janis: Strange Circumstances Of Their Demise

Post by JD Spydo »

One thing I vividly remember about my Junior year in high school is that the year got off to a horrible start. It was in September ( Jimi Hendrix) and early October ( Janis Joplin) that two of my very favorite rock musicians had died ( or so they say :( ) I was an avid fan of both of them. Janis did one of her very last concerts here in Kansas City at a place called Freedom Palace that summer.
Looking back on when both of those rock superstars died within two weeks of each other seemed extremely weird to me. It's also been incredible that their legacy has lived on as big as it has for this many years. I've often wondered what the odds were of two of the most well loved musicians dying that close to each other. Not to mention that both of them became part of the mysterious "27 Club" :confused:
It was just a few months later that Doors singer Jim Morrison also left us ( summer of 1971). Another member of the 27 Club.

But it's always made me wonder how two of the most iconic superstars of that era died so close to each other. Kind of makes me wonder how both of them would have turned out if they were still with us. But this time of the year always makes me wonder about both them.
Robbob

Re: Jimi & Janis: Strange Circumstances Of Their Demise

Post by Robbob »

Like they say, they go in threes. Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett died on the same day.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sad losses, all three. Still, if their autopsies were being held now, I'm pretty sure their tox screens would all read like the inventories of a well stocked drug store and a well stocked liquor store.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Self medicating with either prescription or illicit drugs is a very bad idea. Live fast and die young I guess.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I have always been a Hendrix fan.

Given the amount of drugs they did I dont think there is anything mysterious about their deaths.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
James Y

Post by James Y »

Janis Joplin died only a few days after recording her version of ‘Me and Bobby McGee,” which is likely the style of singing she was headed towards. She had already been advised that her intense style of singing would blow out her vocal cords sooner than later if she kept it up, and she was planning on changing her style to help her career longevity. Sadly, she never got the opportunity to explore it any further.

Had she and Jimi Hendrix survived that year, there’s no guarantee either would still be alive today. They would have been in their late 70s now, and in general, rock stars aren’t particularly known for living long lives, anyway.

I have read about the 27 club, and true, many of the coincidences around that age number are fascinating, but truthfully, there was so much hard drug use among those musicians that I’m not surprised so many knocked off at that age. I’m always amazed that Keith Richards is still with us.

Jim
benben

Post by benben »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:00 am

Hence your user name?? ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Robbob wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:24 am
Like they say, they go in threes. Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett died on the same day.
I'm glad you brought that up. Because I've even won a couple of bets over the past 5 years when I've told people that Michael Jackson and Farah Fawcett both died on the same day. To this day I chat with people that still don't know that Farah Fawcett is even passed away :confused:
That's how huge the death of Michael Jackson was. To this day that blows me away. :confused:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:15 am
Janis Joplin died only a few days after recording her version of ‘Me and Bobby McGee,” which is likely the style of singing she was headed towards. She had already been advised that her intense style of singing would blow out her vocal cords sooner than later if she kept it up, and she was planning on changing her style to help her career longevity. Sadly, she never got the opportunity to explore it any further.

Had she and Jimi Hendrix survived that year, there’s no guarantee either would still be alive today. They would have been in their late 70s now, and in general, rock stars aren’t particularly known for living long lives, anyway.

I have read about the 27 club, and true, many of the coincidences around that age number are fascinating, but truthfully, there was so much hard drug use among those musicians that I’m not surprised so many knocked off at that age. I’m always amazed that Keith Richards is still with us.
JIm Not only Keith Richards but the entire Rolling Stones band minus Brian Jones are all still with us. And there has been speculation over the years that Brian Jones' death was indeed a murder >> and his death and/or murder was one of the weirder anomalies of the strange year of 1969. Heck the Stones were here in KC about 3 years ago at ARROWHEAD stadium and they almost sold it out. I've recently heard that they might get them back again here at ARROWHEAD stadium. I keep asking myself when they are all going to take the stage by the use of "walkers" or wheelchairs :o It's incredible how good Charlie Watts still plays the drums at his age. Probably the only one in the band that lives a semblance of a normal lifestyle off stage.

I'm also blown away that Johnny Rotten aka John Lydon and Iggy Pop aka James Osterburg are both still alive after all the punk rock insanity those guys did over the years :confused:
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:26 am
James Y wrote:

JIm Not only Keith Richards but the entire Rolling Stones band minus Brian Jones are all still with us. And there has been speculation over the years that Brian Jones' death was indeed a murder. Heck the Stones were here in KC about 3 years ago and I've heard that they might get them back again. I keep asking myself when they are all going to take the stage by the use of "walkers" :o It's incredible how good Charlie Watts still plays the drums at his age. Probably the only one in the band that lives a semblance of a normal lifestyle off stage.

I'm also blown away that Johnny Rotten aka John Lydon and Iggy Pop aka James Osterburg are both still alive after all the punk rock insanity those guys did over the years :confused:
Joe, I heard somewhere that Mick Jagger was very careful around drugs. Not sure how accurate that is, but the way I heard it, he felt that messing himself up with drugs would ruin his professionalism as a ‘businessman.‘

My older brother (the musician) really dislikes Mick Jagger (but he likes Keith Richards). One day I mentioned to him how spry Jagger still is to prance around onstage for hours-long concerts. My brother had a few inside stories about people’s dealings with Jagger that, if true, convinced me I wouldn’t like him, either. And my brother is not a gossip-hound.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VooDooChild wrote:

Given the amount of drugs they did I dont think there is anything mysterious about their deaths.
I won't argue with you because I have several smart friends that believe that same narrative. However don't discard the fact that both Hendrix and Joplin were huge "Anti VietNam war" protesters. And so many war protesters in that time slot of 1968 to 1972 were dying mysteriously left and right. The list gets huge when you name off the many band members whose names weren't all that big yet.
Don't forget we had Four Unarmed Students at Kent STate University that were murdered by the National Guard. And their only crime was protesting the VietNam War. And do keep in mind that all four of them were "unarmed" :(

I'm just saying I wouldn't completely dismiss the possibility in that harsh environment. :mad:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:33 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:26 am
James Y wrote:

JIm Not only Keith Richards but the entire Rolling Stones band minus Brian Jones are all still with us. And there has been speculation over the years that Brian Jones' death was indeed a murder. Heck the Stones were here in KC about 3 years ago and I've heard that they might get them back again. I keep asking myself when they are all going to take the stage by the use of "walkers" :o It's incredible how good Charlie Watts still plays the drums at his age. Probably the only one in the band that lives a semblance of a normal lifestyle off stage.

Joe, I heard somewhere that Mick Jagger was very careful around drugs. Not sure how accurate that is, but the way I heard it, he felt that messing himself up with drugs would ruin his professionalism as a ‘businessman.‘

My older brother (the musician) really dislikes Mick Jagger (but he likes Keith Richards). One day I mentioned to him how spry Jagger still is to prance around onstage for hours-long concerts. My brother had a few inside stories about Jagger that, if true, convinced me I wouldn’t like him, either. And my brother is not a gossip-hound.

Jim
I've heard so many really bad things about Mick Jagger. I have two good friends who are Bible Scholars who vehemently swear that Jagger is a Satanist. I think there might be some truth to that when you look at their song titles and album titles over the years. I've also heard some really strange stories about that Brian Jones death. Because before Brian Jones supposedly drowned in his own swimming pool that him and Jagger were competing in a very hostile manner to be the big star of the band. Jones was immensely popular over in Europe especially and a real heart-throb among all the ladies. I do believe there was something sinister about Brian Jones' untimely and strange death.

I've also been told by a friend of mine who was a journalist for the Kansas City Star newspaper that Jagger truly has the morals of a wild dog and that's putting it nicely considering all he told me about him.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VooDooChild wrote:

OH I get it!! and believe me the Jimi Hendrix album "Electric Ladyland" and "Axis Bold As Love" were two of my very favorite Hendrix albums. An older brother of a long time friend of mine seen Hendrix in concert in San Francisco in 1968 and he said Hendrix did a version of that song "VooDooChild" that just blew the audience away. He said that Jimi also did a version of the Wind Cries Mary that captivated the audience as well.

I didn't even start going to concerts until after Hendrix passed away. However Janis Joplin did an awesome concert here in Kansas City at a concert hall known as Freedom Palace>> I had two friends that went. I had tickets and my parents wouldn't let me go because of some crap they read in the newspaper about her :rolleyes: I was only 16 at the time and it took me years to forgive them for that one :D But that was only two months before she died in the fall of 1970.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Joe,

I’m certain that many rock stars and other celebrities were satanists, or at least dabbled in it to varying degrees. A big example I can think of offhand is Jimmy Page.

The things my brother told me about Jagger had more to do with his treatment of people who dealt with him. Using people and discarding them when he no longer needed them; things like that.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:52 am
Joe,

I’m certain that many rock stars and other celebrities were satanists, or at least dabbled in it to varying degrees. A big example I can think of offhand is Jimmy Page.

The things my brother told me about Jagger had more to do with his treatment of people who dealt with him. Using people and discarding them when he no longer needed them; things like that.

Jim
Jimmy Page bought the house that used to be owned by well known satanist Aleister Crowley. Rumor has it that house is so spooked and weird that Robert Plant ( Zeppelin's lead singer) won't ever go into it again because of some experience he had there that frightened him. I've heard that Page dabbled in all kinds of occult type stuff. There were a lot of those Rock Stars that really revered Aleister Crowley. Crowley is even on the front cover of the Beatle's album St. Pepper & His Lonely Hearts Club Band. Nothing happens by coincidence in that realm.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Self medicating with either prescription or illicit drugs is a very bad idea
Yep! Janis died face down with the needle still in her arm falling between the bed and the wall. Apparently she had been clean for a while and her relapse killed her.
Don't forget we had Four Unarmed Students at Kent STate University that were murdered by the National Guard. And their only crime was protesting the VietNam War. And do keep in mind that all four of them were "unarmed"
It's difficult giving a response to this without getting into politics. At least one wasn't a student but a runaway 13 year old kid. One could say that by throwing concrete and rebar chunks and rocks at soldiers with no shields or other riot gear they were looking for a response. I doubt that was the response they were looking for but for sure there were others who were attempting to manipulate exactly that. In fact one could say the rioters were the "useful idiots" and their "sacrifice" was for the greater good :rolleyes: :)

That place was a stones throw away from where I lived. I later had one of the guys who had been shot as a teacher after he went back and finished his degree. He was in a wheelchair permanently from that incident.

I really have no sympathy for radicals who try to kill or injure others and get hurt themselves while doing so. I'll save my sympathies for those that deserve it. Life is tough enough as it is without trying to make it worse.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:34 am
However don't discard the fact that both Hendrix and Joplin were huge "Anti VietNam war" protesters. And so many war protesters in that time slot of 1968 to 1972 were dying mysteriously left and right. The list gets huge when you name off the many band members whose names weren't all that big yet.

I'd bet that, with the possible exception of Country & Western performers, most American singers and musicians of that era were against the war in Vietnam. Many, especially those writing and singing folk music, were a lot more vocal about it than Joplin and Hendrix. Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Pete Seeger, Phil Ochs, Country Joe and the Fish, and Tom Paxton come immediately to mind but are only the tip of the iceberg.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:31 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
However don't discard the fact that both Hendrix and Joplin were huge "Anti VietNam war" protesters. And so many war protesters in that time slot of 1968 to 1972 were dying mysteriously left and right. The list gets huge when you name off the many band members whose names weren't all that big yet.

I'd bet that, with the possible exception of Country & Western performers, most American singers and musicians of that era were against the war in Vietnam. Many, especially those writing and singing folk music, were a lot more vocal about it than Joplin and Hendrix. Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Pete Seeger, Phil Ochs, Country Joe and the Fish, and Tom Paxton come immediately to mind but are only the tip of the iceberg.
I do agree with you that all the other names you mentioned were probably on the govt's dirt list as well. But Hendrix was actually a veteran himself and got an honorable discharge. Janis Joplin was extremely vocal everywhere she went. She also did a lot of the popular talk shows like Dick Cavett, Mike Douglas as well as some of the late night talk shows as well.

I'm basically speculating that might be what put a target on their backs. As far as Country Joe & The Fish the leader of that band Country Joe McDonald moved out of the USA quite some time ago and I believe he still lives in France. He's not the only one from that era that fled the USA. Mitch Ryder and several of the other band leaders from that era took up residence elsewhere.

It's speculation but to me the motive looks pretty convincing. I'm sure the students at Kent State University would be inclined to agree with me if they were still here.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:17 am
Self medicating with either prescription or illicit drugs is a very bad idea
Yep! Janis died face down with the needle still in her arm falling between the bed and the wall. Apparently she had been clean for a while and her relapse killed her.

I really have no sympathy for radicals who try to kill or injure others and get hurt themselves while doing so. I'll save my sympathies for those that deserve it. Life is tough enough as it is without trying to make it worse.
Well to respond to your last sentence I can agree with you for the most part. Especially with the outright insanity that is currently going on in many cities throughout the country. I'm a firm believer in the right to protest but not to that extreme, no way.

With that said I'm well aware of what the media said about how Janis died. But with the river of outright lies we've been fed over the years about all these topics I've come to believe that seeking truth is a very dangerous thing and unfortunately makes a person very unpopular. Not at all trying to be political or conspiratorial but I do still wonder why so many in that age group in such large numbers met an early demise.

I realize that most people do believe the mainstream narrative on most of these subjects. But I've just heard too many lies to take any of the talking heads seriously anymore. My main point in all of this is>> How does a person find any truth? Because it sure doesn't come from a "sponsor driven", Mind Control media.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:44 pm
The Deacon wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:31 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

I do agree with you that all the other names you mentioned were probably on the govt's dirt list as well. But Hendrix was actually a veteran himself and got an honorable discharge. Janis Joplin was extremely vocal everywhere she went. She also did a lot of the popular talk shows like Dick Cavett, Mike Douglas as well as some of the late night talk shows as well.

I'm basically speculating that might be what put a target on their backs. As far as Country Joe & The Fish the leader of that band Country Joe McDonald moved out of the USA quite some time ago and I believe he still lives in France. He's not the only one from that era that fled the USA. Mitch Ryder and several of the other band leaders from that era took up residence elsewhere.

It's speculation but to me the motive looks pretty convincing. I'm sure the students at Kent State University would be inclined to agree with me if they were still here.
Edwin Starr also left the States for Europe (the UK), where he passed away in 2003. He’s the guy who sang the iconic anti-war song, “War”. I’m not sure why he left, though; could be a lot of reasons, including possibly to boost his career.

Jim