RIP Diana Rigg

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

RIP Diana Rigg

Post by Ankerson »

ChrisinHove

Re: RIP Diana Rigg

Post by ChrisinHove »

She lived in Lewes, near me. Thomas Paine lived there once, too.

Anyone remember The Avengers?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:30 pm

YUP.. :cool:
James Y

Post by James Y »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:30 pm

I do, but only through the eyes of a little kid. Unlike apparently many others, I never had a crush on the Emma Peel character, because I had crushes on Elly May on The Beverly Hillbillies, and The Flying Nun (hey, I was only 3 or 4 years old). :o I mostly remember my older brother liking The Avengers, and I mostly remembered it for the cool opening and closing credits theme:

https://youtu.be/10QW3Az1FTw

RIP, Diana Rigg.

Jim
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Now her watch has ended.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

My generation's first exposure to her was as the host of Mystery! on PBS in the 80's. I would always get so excited to hear the theme song and see the Edward Gorey animation, it was like every Sunday night was Halloween.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Diana Rigg was sexy. Loved it when she was in a slinky dress or an all leather outfit. I killed many a good hour watching The Avengers in High School back in the 70's.

YouTube Videos
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... peel+steed
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
willc

Post by willc »

I just heard this.
The Avengers was one of my favorite shows.

She was a such a charismatic actress.
Diana Rigg will be missed.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

She played Olenna Tyrell perfectly
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

So sad. She was every boys dream in the 1960’s. RIP.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I must get a Bowler...
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Loved her in the Avengers, loved her in Game of Thrones.

The Queen of Thorns
https://youtu.be/WoA_yhqYcf4
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:00 pm
She played Olenna Tyrell perfectly
Ain't that the truth! Such an amazing character, knew exactly how to play the game.

Rip!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Very sad to hear of her loss.

Long ago I recall looking in the TV Guide and seeing a program called, "The Avengers," listed for Saturday afternoon. I thought it was a show about Marvel Comic's Avengers... I was quite surprised to see a black and white TV show about John Steed and Emma Peel in a James Bond like show. I was fascinated with the program, and starting that day, I was a fan.

Rest in peace, Mrs. Peel.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Water Bug wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:11 pm

Long ago I recall looking in the TV Guide and seeing a program called, "The Avengers," listed for Saturday afternoon. I thought it was a show about Marvel Comic's Avengers... I was quite surprised to see a black and white TV show about John Steed and Emma Peel in a James Bond like show. I was fascinated with the program, and starting that day, I was a fan.

Was a great show.

It started out with just Patrick Macnee as John Steed then they added his 1st Female partner played by Honor Blackman. Then Diana Rigg after that and for most of the series then Linda Thorson for the last Season or so.

A little trivia: :)

Both Diana Rigg and Honor Blackman were Bond Girls.. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (Rigg) and Goldfinger (Blackman)

Linda Thorson was screwed out of being a Bond Girl because she wasn't British, she is Canadian, back when they all had to be British.

Linda Thorson is the only one still alive today out of the cast.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:19 pm
Water Bug wrote:

Was a great show.

It started out with just Patrick Macnee as John Steed then they added his 1st Female partner played by Honor Blackman. Then Diana Rigg after that and for most of the series then Linda Thorson for the last Season or so.

Both Diana Rigg and Honor Blackman were Bond Girls.. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (Rigg) and Goldfinger (Blackman)

Linda Thorson was screwed out of being a Bond Girl because she wasn't British, she is Canadian, back when they all had to be British.

Coincidentally, Honor Blackman also passed away this year, only a few months ago. She was well into her 90s. But I don’t remember it making the news. When I heard Diana Rigg was 82, I thought it seemed “young.” But Diana Rigg lived a full 82 years. Eighty-two seems “young” to me, because my mom was 93 when she passed away last year.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:40 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Water Bug wrote:

Was a great show.

Coincidentally, Honor Blackman also passed away this year, only a few months ago. She was well into her 90s. But I don’t remember it making the news. When I heard Diana Rigg was 82, I thought it seemed “young.” But Diana Rigg lived a full 82 years. Eighty-two seems “young” to me, because my mom was 93 when she passed away last year.

Jim

Yeah, it did make the news when Blackman passed away.

She wasn't as popular as Dianna Rigg was however I suppose. :confused:

My Mom passed at 71 this year...

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:44 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
Water Bug wrote:

Was a great show.

Jim

Jim
I remember, Jim. Condolences again.

Honor Blackman wrote her own self-defense book many, MANY years ago (1960s). She had trained some Judo.

As a little kid, I always thought that Diana Rigg/Emma Peel’s karate was ballet, because my sister took ballet classes, and that’s what it looked like to me. I only knew what Judo was. Now that I see the closing credits theme again, Diana Rigg’s karate still kinda looks like ballet. :). She was a great actress, though, with tons of charisma.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:56 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:44 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Was a great show.

Jim

Jim
I remember, Jim. Condolences again.

Honor Blackman wrote her own self-defense book many, MANY years ago (1960s). She had trained some Judo.

As a little kid, I always thought that Diana Rigg/Emma Peel’s karate was ballet, because my sister took ballet classes, and that’s what it looked like to me. I only knew what Judo was. Now that I see the closing credits theme again, Diana Rigg’s karate still kinda looks like ballet. :). She was a great actress, though, with tons of charisma.

Jim

Jim,

It likely was, not many Actors etc actually had formal training, even today that number is very low.

Jim