Anyone have and use a Mora Eldris?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Anyone have and use a Mora Eldris?

Post by Doc Dan »

I think I asked this a few years ago and I got mixed messages. Do any of you have experience with this knife?

I sort of like it and I sort of don't, but I have never actually held one in my hand. What do you all think of it?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Re: Anyone have and use a Mora Eldris?

Post by Wartstein »

I have one and used it quite a bit.

It´s a funny little knife and kind of a cool concept (a neck knife with great ergos and really handfilling handle)
It is very light and - like practically all Moras and due to the (in this case just partly) scandi grind - bites into wood very deep and easy.

Still: I would not get a replacement if I lost the Eldris and even would perhaps sell it, if this would not be quite a hassle and I could not ask for a reasonable price anyway since it is quite used.
Why?
- The blade is just too short, even for a small knife (a lot less edge than on a Delica, see pic below). This makes it not overly usefull in many tasks (food prep, minor batoning for making kindling and so on)
- It is really bulky, which makes the carry as a neckknife pretty awkard. And in a pack one could go with a larger folder or even a bigger Mora (Companion) for not much more weight
- When the knife is sheathed, there is no way to tell on which side the edge is and on which side the spine (well, you could probably mark the handle on one side to tell you this)

I still keep it in some fire starter kit, since the sharp spine throws spark from a ferro rod very well and as said the Eldris does not weigh much.
But recommendation? Not really,unless you like the general concept or have very special needs where the Eldris happens to fit...

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks Gernot. That is actually helpful.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I will echo everything he said. Super light and very comfy handle. A little bulky for what it is. Blade is very small. Blade is also very tall for its length and has very little drop to the point. The result is a knife that is all belly.

I actually like it but never carry it. If it had a different blade shape I would carry it more. As a Mora fan I was super excited but in the end I would like to see the same handle with the carving blade from the 106 or 120. Then it would be a grand slam.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:30 am
I have one and used it quite a bit...

Still: I would not get a replacement if I lost the Eldris and even would perhaps sell it, if this would not be quite a hassle and I could not ask for a reasonable price anyway since it is quite used.
I have one (mine's green Warstein) and use it, but I agree wholeheartedly with Warstein's assessment: it's just too small. I much prefer the larger Kansbol, which is actually my favorite camp knife right now. Same handle style, but a little bit larger and more secure, and a 4.3" blade (mine's also green). I think I spent $15 on the Eldris and $30 on the Kansbol. I still throw the Eldris in the backpack when going on hikes because it's so small & light I don't even notice it.

The Bushcraft is more like $40, and comes in Carbon steel (although I don't like the sheath and handle as much). The $45 option comes with a fire steel in an integrated sheath, which is nice. The Garberg is more like $80-90, depending on if you want Stainless or Carbon, and is a full-tang option. It shares the same handle as the Kansbol I think, but is 2x the price. I like the handle enough that I might get one in Carbon one day, but I sure wish it came in green. ;) Also, that's pretty close to ESEE 4 territory, and I definitely want to try one of those at some point.

Frankly, I think it''s real hard to beat Morakniv's value. I still like my Mule a lot, of course, but the Kansbol does better feathersticks, throws more sparks, and is more comfortable in hand for camp tasks. Plus it was about 20% of the cost.

Doc, what are you thinking of using the Eldris for?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Had one, didn't feel right in my L/XL hand. Gave it to my oldest son
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:51 pm
Wartstein wrote:
I have one and used it quite a bit...

I have one (mine's green Warstein) and use it, but I agree wholeheartedly with Warstein's assessment: it's just too small. I much prefer the larger Kansbol, which is actually my favorite camp knife right now. Same handle style, but a little bit larger and more secure, and a 4.3" blade (mine's also green). I think I spent $15 on the Eldris and $30 on the Kansbol. I still throw the Eldris in the backpack when going on hikes because it's so small & light I don't even notice it.

The Bushcraft is more like $40, and comes in Carbon steel (although I don't like the sheath and handle as much). The $45 option comes with a fire steel in an integrated sheath, which is nice. The Garberg is more like $80-90, depending on if you want Stainless or Carbon, and is a full-tang option. It shares the same handle as the Kansbol I think, but is 2x the price. I like the handle enough that I might get one in Carbon one day, but I sure wish it came in green. ;) Also, that's pretty close to ESEE 4 territory, and I definitely want to try one of those at some point.

Frankly, I think it''s real hard to beat Morakniv's value. I still like my Mule a lot, of course, but the Kansbol does better feathersticks, throws more sparks, and is more comfortable in hand for camp tasks. Plus it was about 20% of the cost.

Nothing in particular but everything I need a small knife for. I do not like neck carry but I do like small knives in my pocket. I saw where someone said this knife can be resheathed one handed.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:34 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:51 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Nothing in particular but everything I need a small knife for. I do not like neck carry but I do like small knives in my pocket. I saw where someone said this knife can be resheathed one handed.

Doc, unfortunately the Eldris is not really small in the pocket, but rather bulky (the pro of this is very good ergos for a neckknife in prolongued use).
I also think for your huge hands it might, while still being handfilling, offer only a three finger grip (shorter grip area than a Delica, see the pic in my previous post)

And "resheating one handed"?!
- If the sheath is fixed somewhere (on a belt): Sure, like with almost any fixed blade!
- If the sheath is just free hangig (when carried as a neck knife): I really can´t see how this would work - unless a particular Eldris would sit VERY loose in the sheeth then, which would of course cause problems.
If you push the hanging sheath against your chin or chest: Of course then resheathing with one hand gets possible again. But that´s true for most neck knives
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

So, this is a non starter then. Thanks a million.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i like mine for a neck knife, but i'd prefer to carry a on my belt kansbol for more versatility.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I’ve got an Esee Candiru, a very capable little knife. It is heavy, though.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I bought this knife for camping as a neck knife and a fire starter. I got the kit as I was afraid the knife may fall out when carried around the neck, but it fits tight in sheath. The blade spine is nice and sharp to strike a fire rod. Its little but fits my hand nice, I have big hands and long fingers. I wrapped some paracord around the sheath and made a holder for the fire starter rod. I like it a lot and could gut and skin a deer with it if I had to.

DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:58 am
I have an Esee Izula. I do have it scout carry on my belt. It is a great knife, and I love Esee's warranty. I went with the black oxide stone wash finish. If you want something lighter. I would recommend a crkt minimalist. I have the cleaver version, and I'm planning on picking up the clip point blade. Its a very light knife. I actually carry it more than my izula. With the lanyard included its a comfortable 4 finger grip. I was originally concerned the the finger grooves wouldn't fit. But I'm happy to say I was wrong and it fits beautifully. Also the sheath has a slight flare to the opening. So sheathing the blade is easy one handed even without looking.

Also fwiw I have an Eldris. I wanted to like it because I love Mora. But its one that I have to force myself to use. I dont consider this a neck knife as its too fat in the handle to comfortably carry it like that. I looped a piece of 550 through it and attach that to a belt loop. Then the knife hangs in my pocket. When I need it I pull the cord. This way I'm not fishing for my knife.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

DMgangl wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:21 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:58 am
I have an Esee Izula. I do have it scout carry on my belt. It is a great knife, and I love Esee's warranty. I went with the black oxide stone wash finish. If you want something lighter. I would recommend a crkt minimalist. I have the cleaver version, and I'm planning on picking up the clip point blade. Its a very light knife. I actually carry it more than my izula. With the lanyard included its a comfortable 4 finger grip. I was originally concerned the the finger grooves wouldn't fit. But I'm happy to say I was wrong and it fits beautifully. Also the sheath has a slight flare to the opening. So sheathing the blade is easy one handed even without looking.

Also fwiw I have an Eldris. I wanted to like it because I love Mora. But its one that I have to force myself to use. I dont consider this a neck knife as its too fat in the handle to comfortably carry it like that. I looped a piece of 550 through it and attach that to a belt loop. Then the knife hangs in my pocket. When I need it I pull the cord. This way I'm not fishing for my knife.
I’ve got a couple of Izulas myself. Great knives.

Good idea about the para cord.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Dan, I am a big fan of the Becker BK14 as a neck knife. The Izula’s micarta scales fit on it as they actually use the same handle.

You may also want to look at the Street Beat.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i just got this little guy. i'll be trying it out as a neck knife. think what you will about the design, but i like that it's different from my belt knife and folders. instead of just being another knife, it augments what i typically carry and gives me more capability.
and here's a quick size comparison with the pac salt for scale. it's really small compared to the original design.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:03 am
Dan, I am a big fan of the Becker BK14 as a neck knife. The Izula’s micarta scales fit on it as they actually use the same handle.

You may also want to look at the Street Beat.
Thanks. I have an Izula and Izula 2, plus a Kershaw Field Knife Hunter. These are very useful, but not for a neck knife.

I hate neck knives. I have several. I do like small fixed blades for some reason, to drop in my pocket or in a pack. The Eldris, though, seems like an also-ran.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

I don’t actually like carrying them around my neck either. I do like to EDC small knives though.

I EDC all of these. They are also all about the perfect size for field dressing deer or cleaning small game.

BRKT Bobcat Hunter
BRKT Mini Kephart
BRKT North Country EDC
Becker BK14
Becker BK24
Spyderco Street Beat
A knife Chad Kelly gave me.

I have an Izula and don’t like it. The blade is too small and too thick.
-Darby