Should I be concerned about cleaning my microtech?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Abyss_Fish

Should I be concerned about cleaning my microtech?

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Got an exocet recently, chances are it’ll be my only auto but man I love this lil chode.

My usual routine with new knives is to rinse with soap and water, to get off any excess oil and/or any factory grossness. Then I usually disassemble, apply nano oil, mirror polish washers, try to improve the general action etc.

I don’t plan on doing that second part. Partly because I know they’re a tad complicated (at least compared to my spydiechef) but mostly because I don’t want to buy another driver. But should there be any problems washing it? It’s an xhp blade so it’s at least mildly prone to rusting.

Anyone had problems getting microtech otf’s wet? Or am I good to go?
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
xceptnl

Re: Should I be concerned about cleaning my microtech?

Post by xceptnl »

Paul (Deacon) would be a great resource as I know he has a few Microtech OTFs and carries them often. I've owned a few Ultratech models over the years and never have considered rinsing them or submerging them in water. Just my $.02 but I would avoid this. I don't think XHP will be your problem, rather just the possibility for moisture to collect and sit on moving or machined internals and eventually leave mineral remains. If you had access to the driver, disassembly would allow you to deal with the water. I dont recall the internals being overly complicated.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I don't wash them. If they get really dirty the best bet is to pour naptha/lighter fluid in them and shake it around. Then point it opening side down to let it leak out. Microtech also recommends using the aerosol rem oil to flush it out. Then you spray out the excess with compressed air. I usually use a few drops of rem oil for lubrication and then work the action a few times then wipe off the excess. Microtech has a video on YouTube showing the method with the aerosol rem oil.

I would not rinse my otfs in water. I usually just use compressed air to occasionally blow out pocket lint.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Agree with the others, I wouldn't submerge an OTF in water for the reasons mentioned. Microtech also uses proprietary fasteners on a number of their autos to help discourage ELUs from taking them apart.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Red

Post by Red »

Also agree with the others. I have several Microtech otf’s now and just hit them with a very light shot of Rem-Oil and they are slick as can be. I love them. Ric got me on board :D
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Never felt the need to wash any of my OTF's but, if I happened to have one in my pocket and fell in the water, I'd probably rinse it down with clean hot water, shake as much as possible out of it, then blast it with either the dog's hair dryer or my air compressor. As for lube, the only thing I've ever used on them is dry powdered graphite.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:36 pm
I don't wash them. If they get really dirty the best bet is to pour naptha/lighter fluid in them and shake it around. Then point it opening side down to let it leak out. Microtech also recommends using the aerosol rem oil to flush it out. Then you spray out the excess with compressed air. I usually use a few drops of rem oil for lubrication and then work the action a few times then wipe off the excess. Microtech has a video on YouTube showing the method with the aerosol rem oil.

I would not rinse my otfs in water. I usually just use compressed air to occasionally blow out pocket lint.
I've used that "Naptha" fluid to clean a couple of folders before myself>> with some decent results I might add. And I would use it again depending on how grimey the knife is and what it is dirty with. For a few years now I've been preaching the Gospel of "BALLISTOL" for cleaning and to some degree lubricating and restoring folder knives.
I have had some sterling results cleaning and rehabbing older pocket knives by bathing and/or soaking them with BALLISTOL. Also Ballistol works magic restoring G-10 and some other types of handles. It makes G-10 look practically new again. I've also used it on Micarta and a couple of FRN folders too.

But I do agree that even though BALLISTOL is my #1 choice I will always have some Naptha and Mineral Spirits on hand for certain cleaning jobs. Interesting thread!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:03 pm
VashHash wrote:

I've used that "Naptha" fluid to clean a couple of folders before myself>> with some decent results I might add. And I would use it again depending on how grimey the knife is and what it is dirty with. For a few years now I've been preaching the Gospel of "BALLISTOL" for cleaning and to some degree lubricating and restoring folder knives.
I have had some sterling results cleaning and rehabbing older pocket knives by bathing and/or soaking them with BALLISTOL. Also Ballistol works magic restoring G-10 and some other types of handles. It makes G-10 look practically new again. I've also used it on Micarta and a couple of FRN folders too.

But I do agree that even though BALLISTOL is my #1 choice I will always have some Naptha and Mineral Spirits on hand for certain cleaning jobs. Interesting thread!
I wouldn't put ballistol in an otf. Wet lubricants can actually slow the action and pick up dirt and lint. Very bad for that type of knife. The naphtha dissolves any kind of gummed up oil or crud and then evaporates without leaving any residue. Mainly it's recommended to run an OTF dry. The rem oil leaves behind Teflon to help lubricate without attracting dirt or pocket lint.

After I add a few drops of rem oil to my OTFs I'll cycle the action a few times and blow it out with compressed air until it dries.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:39 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:03 pm
VashHash wrote:

I wouldn't put ballistol in an otf. Wet lubricants can actually slow the action and pick up dirt and lint. Very bad for that type of knife. The naphtha dissolves any kind of gummed up oil or crud and then evaporates without leaving any residue. Mainly it's recommended to run an OTF dry. The rem oil leaves behind Teflon to help lubricate without attracting dirt or pocket lint.

After I add a few drops of rem oil to my OTFs I'll cycle the action a few times and blow it out with compressed air until it dries.
Yeah you've probably got a point there. And with all the advancements that have been made with dry lubricants in the past 10 years or so it would be smart to play it safe with a dry lube. But I would still not hesitate to use Ballistol to clean and condition with. I've kind of gotten away from automatics ( switchblades) in the past 3 years or so. I do like those OTF ( out the front) autos that Microtech makes.
Other than a few folders I lube with Militec I mainly use two different dry lubes for the ones I use the most. But Ballistol still has a lot of handy uses>> but I do agree with you that it wouldn't be ideal to use on Automatics.