Hatchets & Tomahawks?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19304
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby JD Spydo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:53 am

Well thanks a lot for sharing that with us Vivi :) Everytime I hear the "Fiskar's " name mentioned I always hear good about their products. I've had a pair of their scissors for a long time and I've never had to sharpen them.

Not sure this is true or not but I heard about 3 years ago that Fiskars is owned by Gerber?? I even saw a full sized ax made by Fiskars and it looked like a well built tool.

Normally I'm not a bargain hunter at all. And most of the time I'll usually go with a tool that is more expensive because over the years I've discovered that most of the time "You Get What You Pay For".

I'm starting to think that Grandfors Bruks might just be the Rolex watch equivalent of the axe market. But in spite of that I would still like to own some of their tools.

rangefinder
Member
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:19 am

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby rangefinder » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:44 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:53 am
Well thanks a lot for sharing that with us Vivi :) Everytime I hear the "Fiskar's " name mentioned I always hear good about their products. I've had a pair of their scissors for a long time and I've never had to sharpen them.

Not sure this is true or not but I heard about 3 years ago that Fiskars is owned by Gerber?? I even saw a full sized ax made by Fiskars and it looked like a well built tool.

Normally I'm not a bargain hunter at all. And most of the time I'll usually go with a tool that is more expensive because over the years I've discovered that most of the time "You Get What You Pay For".

I'm starting to think that Grandfors Bruks might just be the Rolex watch equivalent of the axe market. But in spite of that I would still like to own some of their tools.

It's actually the other way around: Fiskars is a huge multinational company (over $1B revenue according to wikipedia) and Gerber is one of the brands they own. Kind of like how the KAI Group in Japan owns Kershaw/ZT/Shun knife brands.

On topic:

I have an ancient True Temper "Jet Rocket" roofing hatchet. It's nothing fancy, but it cuts branches fine. Looks like this, but mine is in much worse condition: https://www.appalachianaxeworksshop.com ... her-sheath

I used to have an Estwing hatchet, the style with the stacked leather washer handle. But it walked off at some point. So a few years back, I got an Estwing "Camper's Axe" which is kind of half way between a hatchet and an axe: https://www.estwing.com/products/campers-axe

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19304
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby JD Spydo » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:41 am

rangefinder wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:44 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:53 am
Well thanks a lot for sharing that with us Vivi :) Everytime I hear the "Fiskar's " name mentioned I always hear good about their products. I've had a pair of their scissors for a long time and I've never had to sharpen them.

Not sure this is true or not but I heard about 3 years ago that Fiskars is owned by Gerber?? I even saw a full sized ax made by Fiskars and it looked like a well built tool.

Normally I'm not a bargain hunter at all. And most of the time I'll usually go with a tool that is more expensive because over the years I've discovered that most of the time "You Get What You Pay For".

I'm starting to think that Grandfors Bruks might just be the Rolex watch equivalent of the axe market. But in spite of that I would still like to own some of their tools.

It's actually the other way around: Fiskars is a huge multinational company (over $1B revenue according to wikipedia) and Gerber is one of the brands they own. Kind of like how the KAI Group in Japan owns Kershaw/ZT/Shun knife brands.

On topic:

I have an ancient True Temper "Jet Rocket" roofing hatchet. It's nothing fancy, but it cuts branches fine. Looks like this, but mine is in much worse condition: https://www.appalachianaxeworksshop.com ... her-sheath

I used to have an Estwing hatchet, the style with the stacked leather washer handle. But it walked off at some point. So a few years back, I got an Estwing "Camper's Axe" which is kind of half way between a hatchet and an axe: https://www.estwing.com/products/campers-axe
Thanks for the great and informative response "RangeFinder" :) Yeah I found that out last night that I had the Gerber-Fiskars claim completely backwards. But at least I was on the right track. There is so much BS out there now a days you really want to double check everything you read unfortunately.

Glad you brought up that "True Temper" hatchet. I had one of their framing hammers I used when I was working for a roofing crew for a couple of years. It was a great, well balanced tool. I think I got it at a local "True Value" hardware store. All of the True Temper tools were well made IMO.

A while back I got an ESTWING geologist's pick/hammer in a trade I made over at bladeforums. I've been doing a little bit of rock hound hobby with a friend of mine and that ESTWING pick/hammer is a superb tool and it does a great job. I would never hesitate to buy anything made by ESTWING. I just noticed on their website that they have a couple of fixed blade knives as well as a couple of nice looking machetes in their line up. I might just try out one of their machetes at some point. I just love USA made stuff>> which is why I have such an affinity for Spyderco's GOLDEN CO made units.

User avatar
Cambertree
Member
Posts: 1325
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby Cambertree » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:22 am

Nice score on the rock pick, JD.

I just happened to purchase both the 22 oz and 14 oz Estwing models yesterday.

I’ve wanted a rock pick for a while that I can put in my daypack with my loupe and use to do a bit of fossil fossicking and learn a bit more about geology.

Sorry, I know we’re veering away from your original thread subject, but a while ago you asked for recommendations on geology books.

I really enjoyed Charles Lyell’s Principles of Geology. He was one of the fathers of modern geology and evolutionary theory.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principles_of_Geology

It’s still in print - I have a Penguin Classics paperback edition.

So which size Estwing rock pick did you get?

I’m thinking of trying the leather washer handled 13 oz version as well.

I’ll wait til the other picks arrive first though.

User avatar
kennethsime
Member
Posts: 1548
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: California

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby kennethsime » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:52 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:41 am
A while back I got an ESTWING geologist's pick/hammer in a trade I made over at bladeforums. I've been doing a little bit of rock hound hobby with a friend of mine and that ESTWING pick/hammer is a superb tool and it does a great job. I would never hesitate to buy anything made by ESTWING. I just noticed on their website that they have a couple of fixed blade knives as well as a couple of nice looking machetes in their line up. I might just try out one of their machetes at some point. I just love USA made stuff>> which is why I have such an affinity for Spyderco's GOLDEN CO made units.
My girlfriend's a geologist and she loves her Estwing pick. I love the stacked leather handles they use.
Lost to the Ages: C90GRE Stretch 1 ZDP-189 British Racing Green | C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189 British Racing Green
C12BK2W Matriarch 2 VG-10 Emerson Open | C81G2 Para Military 2 S30V

Currently Rotating: C81GPRGR2 Para Military 2 K390 Ranger Green | C223GPRGR Para 3 K390 Ranger Green
C90FPIV2 Stretch 2 Straight Spine, VG-10 Rit Dye'd Dark Apple Green | C223GP Para 3 S30V Green Canvas Micarta
C41BORE5 Native 5 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange | C223BORE Para 3 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange
C101GY2 Manix 2 Lightweight Maxamet Gray | C28GFG Dragonfly VG-10 Foliage Green
MT27 Mule Team 27 Micro-Melt PD#1 Ranger Green | C36GPGR Military 204p Dark Green

User avatar
kennethsime
Member
Posts: 1548
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: California

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby kennethsime » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:53 pm

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:51 pm
I've tried more hatchets than I can count. I haven't ever used one that I like better than this humble $30 design - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-14- ... /202681690

Why would I choose this over a GB?

- The head never loosens
- They come ground thinner behind the edge than any other hatchet I've purchased
- The prominent flare at the end of the handle means I spend less time adjusting my grip
- The steel performs as well as any other hatchet steel I've used, including a 5160 custom
- I can walk into any Home Depot or Lowes and buy one for $30.

Here's ten minutes of me messing around with one:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=f2dnvbywu_s
Hey Vivi,

Do you find that there fiberglass handles absorb shock pretty well? I've heard that this is the chief downfall when compared with traditional hickory-handled axes, and it's actually the only reason I haven't picked up a Fiskars or Gerber hatchet yet.
Lost to the Ages: C90GRE Stretch 1 ZDP-189 British Racing Green | C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189 British Racing Green
C12BK2W Matriarch 2 VG-10 Emerson Open | C81G2 Para Military 2 S30V

Currently Rotating: C81GPRGR2 Para Military 2 K390 Ranger Green | C223GPRGR Para 3 K390 Ranger Green
C90FPIV2 Stretch 2 Straight Spine, VG-10 Rit Dye'd Dark Apple Green | C223GP Para 3 S30V Green Canvas Micarta
C41BORE5 Native 5 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange | C223BORE Para 3 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange
C101GY2 Manix 2 Lightweight Maxamet Gray | C28GFG Dragonfly VG-10 Foliage Green
MT27 Mule Team 27 Micro-Melt PD#1 Ranger Green | C36GPGR Military 204p Dark Green

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19304
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby JD Spydo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:36 pm

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:52 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:41 am
A while back I got an ESTWING geologist's pick/hammer in a trade I made over at bladeforums. I've been doing a little bit of rock hound hobby with a friend of mine and that ESTWING pick/hammer is a superb tool and it does a great job. I would never hesitate to buy anything made by ESTWING. I just noticed on their website that they have a couple of fixed blade knives as well as a couple of nice looking machetes in their line up. I might just try out one of their machetes at some point. I just love USA made stuff>> which is why I have such an affinity for Spyderco's GOLDEN CO made units.
My girlfriend's a geologist and she loves her Estwing pick. I love the stacked leather handles they use.
The ESTWING Geologist's pick I got in that trade is a model E3-22P and it has a nylon handle. Which I like very much. I'm not big on stacked leather washer handles :( A few years back and old fishing buddie gave me an old "Marble's" fixed blade knife that had that Stacked leather washer handle and I had problems with it from the "get-go". Tell your girlfriend to be sure to use something like REDWING's leather oil treatment that they sell for their boots. I've used it for years with good results.

No doubt that ESTWING and Vaughan both give you good tools for the price. I'm sure that Grandfors Bruks may indeed exceed those two companies in quality. But I would have to see it first hand to shell out that kind of money.

Hey you might ask your lady friend who else makes a high quality geologist's pick>> I would be interested to know who else makes those specialty tools.

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19304
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby JD Spydo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:45 pm

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:22 am
Nice score on the rock pick, JD.

I just happened to purchase both the 22 oz and 14 oz Estwing models yesterday.

I’ve wanted a rock pick for a while that I can put in my daypack with my loupe and use to do a bit of fossil fossicking and learn a bit more about geology.

Sorry, I know we’re veering away from your original thread subject, but a while ago you asked for recommendations on geology books.

I really enjoyed Charles Lyell’s Principles of Geology. He was one of the fathers of modern geology and evolutionary theory.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principles_of_Geology

It’s still in print - I have a Penguin Classics paperback edition.
Well I'm glad to know that Estwing tools are available over in your country of Australia. My favorite, German Made fishing reels are available down there as well. Speaking of the German made "D.A.M. Quick" brand of fishing reels. As good of quaity as they are it's hard to find a dealer here in the USA. I got two of my QUICK models from a guy in your country back in 2007.

I'll certainly check out those books you recommended. I was also kind of wondering if you guys have a tool company that makes those kinds of tools in Australia? As much as tools like that are needed in the Outback you would think there would be quite a few companies that make them down there :confused: ??

I would think that with all those "eucalyptus" trees you guys have there would be a big need for axes and hatchets??

User avatar
Cambertree
Member
Posts: 1325
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby Cambertree » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:49 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:45 pm
Well I'm glad to know that Estwing tools are available over in your country of Australia. My favorite, German Made fishing reels are available down there as well. Speaking of the German made "D.A.M. Quick" brand of fishing reels. As good of quaity as they are it's hard to find a dealer here in the USA. I got two of my QUICK models from a guy in your country back in 2007.

I'll certainly check out those books you recommended. I was also kind of wondering if you guys have a tool company that makes those kinds of tools in Australia? As much as tools like that are needed in the Outback you would think there would be quite a few companies that make them down there :confused: ??

I would think that with all those "eucalyptus" trees you guys have there would be a big need for axes and hatchets??
Thanks JD.

Yeah, the Estwing tools are pretty much the standard quality tools for tradepeople here, along with some other well known US tool companies, who IMHO make lesser quality tools which are not actually manufactured in the US. (I used to work in that industry.)

Thanks for the tip on the fishing reels, I’ll check out that D.A.M. brand.

There are rainbow trout creeks within walking distance of where I live in Southeast Australia. ;)

Ah, I could talk about axes all day, my friend. :)

There certainly was a big need for axes and hatchets here, JD, just as there was in the US and Canada.

Many of the US manufacturers made axe patterns which were specifically targeted to Australian conditions. The timber here tends to be harder than Northern hemisphere softwoods.

Plumb axes were very popular, and the ‘ambassador’ for Plumb in the US was actually an Australian axeman, Peter McLaren, who came from my state, Victoria.

https://www.bnctools.com/blogs/news/pet ... on-chopper

https://scoutmastercg.com/the_axe_manual_/

Kelly also made the famous ‘Tasmanian’ and ‘Dandenong’ patterns. Dandenong is also near where I live. It’s now an industrial area, but was once forested swampland, covered with old growth redgum trees.

Regarding local brands, the two most well known Australian axemakers were Keech and Hytest.

The axes from both makers are still very well regarded, and command a decent price on the second hand market.

Keech were pioneers of making axes using cast steel - and although they don’t make axes under their own name anymore, they make mining equipment using the same process.

I believe the axeheads of this current Aussie brand, Sneddens, are probably actually made by Keech.

https://ruralfencing.com/collections/all?page=2

With the invention of the chainsaw, the industry declined, as it did all over the world.

Axe racing competitions are still very popular here at fairs, and agricultural trade shows.

Here’s a current racing axe maker. It’s worth having a look at the section on axe grinds.

http://www.osborneaxes.com.au/index.html

Here’s a post I made over on Bladeforums, with a bit more info, and pics:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the ... t-18753573

(The background behind the thread, was based around a Case pocket knife inscribed with the name Pearl, which was sent to different members of the Traditional Knife forum, and used to tell a little bit about their part of the world. There’s more posts I wrote about this part of Australia on the preceding and subsequent pages, if anyone’s interested to take a virtual tour of where I live.)

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19304
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby JD Spydo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:38 am

I just took a look at those "Osborne Axes" and they very much remind me of those expensive competition axes that are sold by the Collins Tool Co. here in the USA. I think that Collins still makes those competition axes here in the USA from what I'm told. As it stands the best I can tell it seems like Council Tool is the only true, MADE In the USA ax company in existence at the time of this thread.

There were so many different types of hatchets made for tradesmen like roofers, carpenters, and woodworkers. It's a bigger market than I originally thought. I've noticed that one of my favorite online retailers GARRETT WADE still sells a wide variety of hatchets and hawks. I encourage you all to check out their line up of great tools. I've never been disappointed with anything I've bought from Garrett Wade.

User avatar
Takuan
Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:16 pm

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby Takuan » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:00 am

I’ve had a Fiskars splitting axe and small hatchet for many years. Their axes are probably the best bang for your buck on the market. They cut well, they’re very lightweight, and they’re cheap despite the fact that they’re made in Finland (and thus well made). I picked up a Hults Bruk Almike hatchet a few months ago and have been very pleased with it. I’d like to get the Spyderco Genzow HatchetHawk at some point.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19304
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby JD Spydo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:57 pm

Takuan wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:00 am
I’ve had a Fiskars splitting axe and small hatchet for many years. Their axes are probably the best bang for your buck on the market. They cut well, they’re very lightweight, and they’re cheap despite the fact that they’re made in Finland (and thus well made). I picked up a Hults Bruk Almike hatchet a few months ago and have been very pleased with it. I’d like to get the Spyderco Genzow HatchetHawk at some point.
I was at a local hardware store today. I got to check out a "Fiskars" hatchet. I'm glad I did and I discovered they make their hatchets in Finland>> and I can live with that. The Fiskars hatchet was $27 and I'm tempted to get one. it seemed really well balanced. I'm willing to bet that their quality is probably similar to the Swedish made Grandfors Bruks. Or at least reasonably close to it. I do like the quality of most knives made in those two countries.

I also checked out a newer COLLINS hatchet and discovered they are now made in Mexico :( Not sure if that is any better than China. And I used to be a big fan of Collins striking tools. I still have both of my Collins splitting mauls and I love them.

I was also sad to discover that Corona ( a tool company that makes garden tools) is not made in the USA anymore. All 3 of their gardening tools I checked out are now made in China :( With all the companies I have scratched off my list my sources are getting fewer and fewer each year.

kiwisailor
Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:26 pm
Location: Northern New Zealand

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby kiwisailor » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:18 am

Hi, can someone tell me if the Estwing hatchet is flat ground or Scandi ground ?
Thanks.

kiwisailor
Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:26 pm
Location: Northern New Zealand

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby kiwisailor » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:30 am

Qoute by JD," I would love to have anything they made in the 1980s or earlier. I had also heard that BUCK made a hatchet at one time too. Not completely sure though because I've never seen one. Whoever made my Sears Craftsman unit sure did a good job. Because I've had it and used it a lot since the early part of the 1980s. I was told it was made by the Vaughn tool company and I'm sure that's right. "

I've had a Buck Hatchet since late 70's.
Stainless steel, full tang (1/4 inch?) with what looks like paper micarta handles.
Very nice scabbard (leather).
Only thing I can remember using it for was to split some wood (too light and thin)
& splitting a deer sternum, batoning (before the word was probably invented !)

Practically... a decent 8-9 inch full tang knife, scandi ground, is probably just as good, if not better for wood processing in my opinion.

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19304
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby JD Spydo » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:11 am

kiwisailor wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:30 am
Qoute by JD," I would love to have anything they made in the 1980s or earlier. I had also heard that BUCK made a hatchet at one time too. Not completely sure though because I've never seen one. Whoever made my Sears Craftsman unit sure did a good job. Because I've had it and used it a lot since the early part of the 1980s. I was told it was made by the Vaughn tool company and I'm sure that's right. "

I've had a Buck Hatchet since late 70's.
Stainless steel, full tang (1/4 inch?) with what looks like paper micarta handles.
Very nice scabbard (leather).
Only thing I can remember using it for was to split some wood (too light and thin)
& splitting a deer sternum, batoning (before the word was probably invented !)

Practically... a decent 8-9 inch full tang knife, scandi ground, is probably just as good, if not better for wood processing in my opinion.
I've kept my eyes open at all the flea markets and thrift stores I've been too. I've also looked hard at Gun Shows and various auctions for one of those BUCK hatchets. I've heard that those BUCK hatchets were made really well. I envy you Sir :D

I do hope to snag one at some point.

User avatar
jpm2
Member
Posts: 965
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: TX - in the sticks

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby jpm2 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:14 am

kiwisailor wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:18 am
Hi, can someone tell me if the Estwing hatchet is flat ground or Scandi ground ?
Thanks.
Does this help ?

Image

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 6826
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby MacLaren » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:46 pm

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:51 pm
I've tried more hatchets than I can count. I haven't ever used one that I like better than this humble $30 design - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-14- ... /202681690

Why would I choose this over a GB?

- The head never loosens
- They come ground thinner behind the edge than any other hatchet I've purchased
- The prominent flare at the end of the handle means I spend less time adjusting my grip
- The steel performs as well as any other hatchet steel I've used, including a 5160 custom
- I can walk into any Home Depot or Lowes and buy one for $30.

Here's ten minutes of me messing around with one:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=f2dnvbywu_s
Dude, thats exactly like my little Schrade, I was talking about. Except mine is black and lime green and of course, says Schrade.
They are freaking awesome. No doubt. :)

kiwisailor
Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:26 pm
Location: Northern New Zealand

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby kiwisailor » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:10 pm

Hi, thanks jpm2.

User avatar
odomandr
Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:56 am
Location: Fort Collins CO Earth

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby odomandr » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:10 am

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:51 pm
I've tried more hatchets than I can count. I haven't ever used one that I like better than this humble $30 design - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-14- ... /202681690

Why would I choose this over a GB?

- The head never loosens
- They come ground thinner behind the edge than any other hatchet I've purchased
- The prominent flare at the end of the handle means I spend less time adjusting my grip
- The steel performs as well as any other hatchet steel I've used, including a 5160 custom
- I can walk into any Home Depot or Lowes and buy one for $30.

Here's ten minutes of me messing around with one:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=f2dnvbywu_s

forgot the lifetime warranty if something stupid happens to it
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19304
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Hatchets & Tomahawks?

Postby JD Spydo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:32 am

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:46 pm
vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:51 pm
I've tried more hatchets than I can count. I haven't ever used one that I like better than this humble $30 design - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-14- ... /202681690

Why would I choose this over a GB?

- The head never loosens
- They come ground thinner behind the edge than any other hatchet I've purchased
- The prominent flare at the end of the handle means I spend less time adjusting my grip
- The steel performs as well as any other hatchet steel I've used, including a 5160 custom
- I can walk into any Home Depot or Lowes and buy one for $30.

Here's ten minutes of me messing around with one:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=f2dnvbywu_s
Dude, thats exactly like my little Schrade, I was talking about. Except mine is black and lime green and of course, says Schrade.
They are freaking awesome. No doubt. :)
I was at a hardware store a week ago and checked out another Fiskars hatchet and I do think I'm going to get one. This particular model I've looked at a couple of time is made in Finland. As good as the Swedish people are with steel tools I'm inclined to believe that the Finnish people probably are too. But I loved the style of it and their hatchet looks like it would hold up in bad weather too.

It's getting hard for me to believe that those over priced Grandfors Bruks models are any better doing a job than many of these other makes of hatchets are. I have no doubt that Grandfors Bruks makes an excellent tool>> but there comes a time when the price is way too far up in the stratosphere for me to invest in one. I'm just hoping I'll find one at a flea market, thrift store or estate sale at some point.


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests