Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Naperville

Re: Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:23 am
Naperville wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:44 am
James Y wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:58 pm
Naperville:

Hoping you can recover enough to live reasonably comfortably and get back to doing what you love to do.

Jim
Working on it. I'm feeling great except for my right arm acting up now and again. I seriously thought that maybe I had a tumor in my arm or something. It had hurt for months and at times I did not know if I could fall asleep with it. I do not know what happened, maybe injured some tendons? I don't know.

This is the intro to the Bahala Na videos that I just bought. There will probably be more videos in the series and I collect anything that is of high quality escrima/arnis.

https://youtu.be/a42bUcvW2IE

Could the pain in your arm possibly have been a pinched, or otherwise inflamed nerve? I don't know, just throwing that out there.

Thanks for posting the video.

Jim
Maybe. A pinched nerve could be it. It has taken months to go away. I do not even feel it at the moment, so I hope that it is G.O.N.E.

The pain went down to my wrist, felt it in my elbow, bicep, shoulder, and the muscle that wraps around all the way to the back.

I think that I'm on the mend! I hope 2023 is full of 2 to 4 mile walks, jumping rope, dieting, push ups, crunches, planks....got to restart my life after 2 years of sitting around.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:14 pm
James Y wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:23 am
Naperville wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:44 am
James Y wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:58 pm
Naperville:

Hoping you can recover enough to live reasonably comfortably and get back to doing what you love to do.

Jim
Working on it. I'm feeling great except for my right arm acting up now and again. I seriously thought that maybe I had a tumor in my arm or something. It had hurt for months and at times I did not know if I could fall asleep with it. I do not know what happened, maybe injured some tendons? I don't know.

This is the intro to the Bahala Na videos that I just bought. There will probably be more videos in the series and I collect anything that is of high quality escrima/arnis.

https://youtu.be/a42bUcvW2IE

Could the pain in your arm possibly have been a pinched, or otherwise inflamed nerve? I don't know, just throwing that out there.

Thanks for posting the video.

Jim
Maybe. A pinched nerve could be it. It has taken months to go away. I do not even feel it at the moment, so I hope that it is G.O.N.E.

The pain went down to my wrist, felt it in my elbow, bicep, shoulder, and the muscle that wraps around all the way to the back.

I think that I'm on the mend! I hope 2023 is full of 2 to 4 mile walks, jumping rope, dieting, push ups, crunches, planks....got to restart my life after 2 years of sitting around.

Start off slow and EASY. Even if it seems too easy, or too little.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Mike Chaturantabut. (AKA Mike Chat)

Mike Chat is the founder of XMA (Xtreme Martial Arts).

"Xtreme Martial Arts" (XMA) is a modern, performance-oriented sport that is to Karate and Tae Kwon Do what Mainland China's standardized performance sport, Wushu, is to Kung Fu. It requires a high degree of athleticism, gymnastic ability, etc., and is judged strictly on level of difficulty and athletic perfection, much like gymnastics.

IMO, XMA is strictly for very young, performance-oriented practitioners with high natural athleticism. When performed by a top-tier practitioner, it's very impressive, just like a flawless Olympic gymnastic performance is impressive. However, by itself, XMA is probably not a good choice for a lifetime pursuit. Like gymnastics, an XMA athlete would peak while still very young, and will also begin to decline while still relatively young. That is why a solid martial arts foundation, apart from XMA, is necessary to go back to, if someone plans to make martial arts a lifelong pursuit. The best XMA performers have a solid non-XMA martial arts background.

https://youtu.be/_lcfFgK3eH4

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

"It's Not the Size of the Man in the Fight, But the Size of the Fight in the Man"

The above saying is true. However, size DOES matter. BUT size isn't everything. Most people who know very little about what can and does happen in real fights think that size is everything. It's not. Size is definitely A factor, but not the SOLE factor; being bigger is not a guarantee of victory.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Pho6rcUNrF8?feature=share

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

How to End a Fight in 2 Seconds

This guy is entertaining to listen to. The best story he shares is about the woman who KO'd a guy with a palm heel strike.

https://youtu.be/_hgshQF2JfY

Jim
JFR

Post by JFR »

Hi James YU,

I'm more than happy to see your different posts about Masters ZHANG Kezhi & PENG Hanping on this forum because i'm writing an article about Drunken boxing for a french magazine and i've been doing my Chinese master thesis in french univ 2009 about the drunken boxing of Master Zhang which will on day, I hope, become a book with more practical contents. it's my mission to teach the real drunken boxing from these 2 exceptional Masters.

I am french, 47 years old, and have studied with master Zhang during 5 years in Taiwan (2002 to 2007) where I was living and also and before that with 3 main students of Master Peng Hanping in France, they've been in TW with Xiaopeng the years just before he died. I'm the only student of master Zhang that has learned the whole drunking traditionnal forms (14 = 8 empty hands + 6 weapons) of master Zhang and the one of Master Peng. it's very rich because master Zhang waited after being sick seriously to finaly teach much more easily his whole kungfu.

You can see a little about my Kung-fu by following my page on facebook : DrunkenMonkMartialArts
You can also add me there : Jean-François Rapelli

I'm in charge to develop the drunken system (yes that's my ambition to make it a real style and system) with the french national karate & associated disciples FFK.

I'm glade tho see the picture of yourself practicing with master Zhang right where I was practicing and before other kungfu bro. I can feel the flavor and also very glad to read here your experiences about your time there. it's precious for me.

I'm seeking any photo, information, videos, articles from USA, TW, ... about those two great masters. If you can help in anyway I will appreciated a lot and will mention your name in my book and I'd love to talk or chat with you. Don't hesitate to contact me.
My book project it's not only about the drunken style but also to leave for the futur generation and heritage something serious about those two great men Kung-fu.

Happy new year to all the martial artist,
Cheers,
Jean-François RAPELLI
drunkenmonkmartialarts@gmail.com
WhatsApp +33650025812 Jeff Kungfu DMMA
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear JFR:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
James Y

Post by James Y »

JFR wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:20 am
Hi James YU,

I'm more than happy to see your different posts about Masters ZHANG Kezhi & PENG Hanping on this forum because i'm writing an article about Drunken boxing for a french magazine and i've been doing my Chinese master thesis in french univ 2009 about the drunken boxing of Master Zhang which will on day, I hope, become a book with more practical contents. it's my mission to teach the real drunken boxing from these 2 exceptional Masters.

I am french, 47 years old, and have studied with master Zhang during 5 years in Taiwan (2002 to 2007) where I was living and also and before that with 3 main students of Master Peng Hanping in France, they've been in TW with Xiaopeng the years just before he died. I'm the only student of master Zhang that has learned the whole drunking traditionnal forms (14 = 8 empty hands + 6 weapons) of master Zhang and the one of Master Peng. it's very rich because master Zhang waited after being sick seriously to finaly teach much more easily his whole kungfu.

You can see a little about my Kung-fu by following my page on facebook : DrunkenMonkMartialArts
You can also add me there : Jean-François Rapelli

I'm in charge to develop the drunken system (yes that's my ambition to make it a real style and system) with the french national karate & associated disciples FFK.

I'm glade tho see the picture of yourself practicing with master Zhang right where I was practicing and before other kungfu bro. I can feel the flavor and also very glad to read here your experiences about your time there. it's precious for me.

I'm seeking any photo, information, videos, articles from USA, TW, ... about those two great masters. If you can help in anyway I will appreciated a lot and will mention your name in my book and I'd love to talk or chat with you. Don't hesitate to contact me.
My book project it's not only about the drunken style but also to leave for the futur generation and heritage something serious about those two great men Kung-fu.

Happy new year to all the martial artist,
Cheers,
Jean-François RAPELLI
drunkenmonkmartialarts@gmail.com
WhatsApp +33650025812 Jeff Kungfu DMMA

Greetings, Jean-Francois.

I sent you a more detailed email, and would be happy to help if I can. As I mentioned in the email, I only have a few photos from that time. I studied only the Northern-style Mantis style under Sifu Peng Han-Ping. Master Zhang was Sifu Peng’s Southern-style teacher (Hung Gar and the Drunken form). So that made Master Zhang my grand teacher, even though I never studied Master Zhang’s art(s). I did spar against Master Zhang many times, as he would often spar with anyone, including his student’s students.

Glad to see that you are promoting the style.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Kicking Stunts

Just for fun.

Some of these are quite impressive. I'm most impressed with the one involving him kicking the knife, and the ones involving stacked Coke bottles. Stunts involving pure accuracy and control, as opposed to acrobatic or high-jumping ability.

His kicking and high-flying ability is NOT just from stretching and flexibility. He also has a certain natural athleticism, physique, and talent for kicking and jumping ability, and he clearly practices a ton. It's the same as those who excel at any other type of athletic endeavor.

Just because someone stretches a lot doesn't mean they'll be able to do what he does. There are MANY uber-flexible people in the world (such as many Yoga practitioners) who cannot throw kicks with proper speed, power, strength, stability, or accuracy, and who do not have the physical potential to jump high or move explosively.

https://youtu.be/E7BDWgZVrLM

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

French Police's Jujutsu Techniques

https://youtu.be/jkACJp5sOwE

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Is Old Jiu-Jitsy Outdated/Obsolete? The New Jiu-Jitsu is Superior?

I like this conversation, because it is an honest and intelligent conversation, without the arrogance and ignorance that so many martial arts people display.

https://youtu.be/LuLdxrKjMWY

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Terrible Fate of Fighters - Shocking & Tragic Moments in MMA & Boxing

I remember all of these fighters, and was well aware of most of their situations. But I hadn't been aware that boxer Chris Byrd was suffering from fight-related health problems. I remember watching several of his fights back in the '90s. He was an extremely elusive boxer in his prime.
I really hope he's not seriously returning to the ring. That would be nuts, and anyone or any venue that would allow him to do it should lose their license.

https://youtu.be/G4Bk3vqjEGY

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

1929 Judo Death Tournament

Chadi has THE best and most well-researched/educated YouTube channel on Judo and traditional Jujutsu/Jiu-Jitsu.

https://youtu.be/OE2-L6J3xnA

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Katsunori Kikuno vs Ha Woon Pyo

Note: The sound cuts out from 3:47 to 5:07).

Katsunori Kikuno (style: Okinawan Kempo Karate) vs Ha Woon Pyo (Tae Kwon Do):

https://youtu.be/E7ZzxTVLJ2o

Jim
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

As someone who had limited experience in College with Aikido, where I live there is nothing beyond basic grade school Karate classes around me within a reasonable (~60 miles each way) driving distance.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Veteran Takes Down Knife-Wielding Man in South Carolina Walmart

Not martial arts-related, but still of interest in this thread...

https://youtu.be/1sp-1oDWiZc

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Katsunori Kikuno (Okinawan Kempo Karate) vs Michihiro Omigawa (Judo)

In Japanese, with no English subtitles.

Note: From approximately 4:47 to 5:57, the sound cuts out. My guess is that it has something to do with Kikuno's entrance music and YouTube's licensing policy, because the sound was also cut from Kikuno's entrance in the last video of this competition I posted, a couple of posts ago.

This was clearly an elimination tournament. Some highlights from the tournament are shown at the beginning. At the end of the fight, I thought Kikuno kicked Omigawa in the groin, but one of the replays shows he kicked him in the liver.

https://youtu.be/bvJYdSklHaw

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wushu Sanda KO Compilation

Sanda (pronounced San-Dah) is full-contact Kung Fu sport fighting. It's a combination of Northern Long Fist Kung Fu, Shai Jiao (Chinese wrestling/throwing), and kickboxing. In Taiwan, where Sanda was called Lei Tai (Elevated Platform) fighting, many practitioners also relied heavily on Tae Kwon Do kicks. Mainland China Sanda and Taiwan Lei Tai probably evolved independently, or were both based on older Sanda methods that began around the 1920s or '30s. Sanda (Dispersing Strikes) used to be called Sanshou (Dispersing Hands). "Dispersing" refers to freestyle fighting.

Some of the most brutal KOs I've ever seen in combat sports occurred in Lei Tai/Sanda matches I witnessed in Taiwanese tournaments. I'm willing to bet that better safety measures have been implemented in Taiwan since I was there in the '80s and early '90s.

The nastiest (and scariest) KO in this video starts at around 11:35, where one fighter is piledriven head-first onto the mat.

https://youtu.be/OvV_w477mNk

Jim
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

As a sport, I guess I'm not in the target demographic. A heavy kick to the head by a human or a horse is not good for anyone's health.

Is the reason for so many head kicks the body armor preventing breaking ribs and damaging internal organs with body kicks? Those head kicks would likely puncture a lung or cause heavy bleeding in the major abdominal organs.
James Y

Post by James Y »

sidpost wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:36 am
As a sport, I guess I'm not in the target demographic. A heavy kick to the head by a human or a horse is not good for anyone's health.

Is the reason for so many head kicks the body armor preventing breaking ribs and damaging internal organs with body kicks? Those head kicks would likely puncture a lung or cause heavy bleeding in the major abdominal organs.

The body pads are similar to the type used in Olympic Tae Kwon Do, but the two sports are very different.

The body pads do help to spread out some of the force of impact of a punch or a kick, but you can still get broken ribs, or get the wind knocked out of you, if you're caught just right (such as not exhaling on impact). I competed with the body pads, and I threw a side kick to an opponent's body pad that sent him to the hospital. I don't know if a rib was broken or not, but he was groaning pretty badly, similar to the one guy in the video who took a round kick to his body pad.

I saw one fight at the same tournament where a fighter from Korea did a jump spinning back kick to the body and definitely broke his opponent's rib(s) through the body pad.

Jim