Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
max808

Re: Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

Post by max808 »

James Y wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:42 am
max808 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:18 am
James Y wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:27 pm
Hi, Max.

There isn't a man on earth, no matter how big, tall, muscular, or powerful he is, who could beat an adult chimpanzee in a fight. A chimp would easily mutilate Olivier Richters.

A man would amount to even less bare-handed (and according to some accounts, even armed) against a Dogman or Bigfoot creature, if they are real (and I believe they are), and if the creature decided to attack. People can laugh if they want. It wouldn't be funny to them if it was happening. I've seen 'manly' men who were former skeptics get emotional and start crying when they recalled encountering Bigfoot or Dogman creatures that never even showed aggression towards them; or did show aggressive behavior but didn't physically attack them. But this is straying WAY OT and into that other thread's territory.

Jim
Thanks for your explanation Jim, still on the fence but honestly found the dogman documentary very compelling. Being a bit of a amateur image analist I couldn't find any suspicious artefacts that would indicate image manipulation, which is admittedly quite a silly thing to say in this day and age of deep fakes. Then again a lone wolf has to pet himself on the back sometimes in the absence of a pack. On a related note, did you see the recent video of a climber getting attacked by a bear? People were criticizing him for not carrying a firearm into bear country, but let me tell you he nearly perfectly tai sabaki'd that bear off the ledge and managed to kick him off several times while screaming like a maniac before the bear scattered. So he gets a lot of points from me strictly for his survival instincts, even though just a single stack .45 would've been a force multiplier. Pretty sure they both learned a valuable lesson.

You have a good one Sir,
max

Hi, Max.

Yes, I saw that video of the climber in Japan who got attacked by the bear, and fought it off by repeatedly kicking it down the steep, rocky mountaintop, while yelling loudly. That man reacted perfectly in that situation, and he was extremely fortunate that he was able to keep the bear down below him, down the rocky slope.

Anybody who criticizes him for not carrying a gun is an idiot. The incident happened in Japan, and the climber is Japanese. Gun laws (and knife carry laws) in Japan are *extremely* strict, and guns are *extremely* difficult for the vast majority of citizens to acquire in Japan, even compared to the strictest gun laws in the US. The chances of a Japanese mountain climber in Japan having access to a gun to carry for protection are most likely slim to none.

That climber did the best job of defending himself as anybody could have hoped for in that particular situation. He certainly did much better than any of his armchair warrior critics would have done if they were in his shoes. However, there are also a lot of people praising him for reacting perfectly.

Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/fxJ-zAgJzt4

Have a great week yourself, Max.

Jim
Thanks Jim, so far so good though there's a couple days left before the weekend. Lots of bad vibes around here lately so I'm doing my best to not reciprocate them but honestly I find it harder each day to keep a peaceful composure and can feel myself sliding back into shock & awe mode. Here's hoping Islam Makhachev dominates Charles Oliveira on Saturday to relieve some of that pressure. Many predict this could be the fight of the year and I for one can't wait to cheer team Khabib on. Our local Kafkaz community expects no less from me, though they're very respectful of Oliveira and are not the type to underestimate anyone. And yes Japan's bearwhisperer is a boss in my book also. Bless you Jim and know that your guidance and good vibes are always much appreciated,
max
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
James Y

Post by James Y »

max808 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:24 pm
James Y wrote:
max808 wrote:
James Y wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:27 pm
Hi, Max.

There isn't a man on earth, no matter how big, tall, muscular, or powerful he is, who could beat an adult chimpanzee in a fight. A chimp would easily mutilate Olivier Richters.

A man would amount to even less bare-handed (and according to some accounts, even armed) against a Dogman or Bigfoot creature, if they are real (and I believe they are), and if the creature decided to attack. People can laugh if they want. It wouldn't be funny to them if it was happening. I've seen 'manly' men who were former skeptics get emotional and start crying when they recalled encountering Bigfoot or Dogman creatures that never even showed aggression towards them; or did show aggressive behavior but didn't physically attack them. But this is straying WAY OT and into that other thread's territory.

Jim
Thanks for your explanation Jim, still on the fence but honestly found the dogman documentary very compelling. Being a bit of a amateur image analist I couldn't find any suspicious artefacts that would indicate image manipulation, which is admittedly quite a silly thing to say in this day and age of deep fakes. Then again a lone wolf has to pet himself on the back sometimes in the absence of a pack. On a related note, did you see the recent video of a climber getting attacked by a bear? People were criticizing him for not carrying a firearm into bear country, but let me tell you he nearly perfectly tai sabaki'd that bear off the ledge and managed to kick him off several times while screaming like a maniac before the bear scattered. So he gets a lot of points from me strictly for his survival instincts, even though just a single stack .45 would've been a force multiplier. Pretty sure they both learned a valuable lesson.

You have a good one Sir,
max

Hi, Max.

Yes, I saw that video of the climber in Japan who got attacked by the bear, and fought it off by repeatedly kicking it down the steep, rocky mountaintop, while yelling loudly. That man reacted perfectly in that situation, and he was extremely fortunate that he was able to keep the bear down below him, down the rocky slope.

Anybody who criticizes him for not carrying a gun is an idiot. The incident happened in Japan, and the climber is Japanese. Gun laws (and knife carry laws) in Japan are *extremely* strict, and guns are *extremely* difficult for the vast majority of citizens to acquire in Japan, even compared to the strictest gun laws in the US. The chances of a Japanese mountain climber in Japan having access to a gun to carry for protection are most likely slim to none.

That climber did the best job of defending himself as anybody could have hoped for in that particular situation. He certainly did much better than any of his armchair warrior critics would have done if they were in his shoes. However, there are also a lot of people praising him for reacting perfectly.

Here's the video:

Jim
Thanks Jim, so far so good though there's a couple days left before the weekend. Lots of bad vibes around here lately so I'm doing my best to not reciprocate them but honestly I find it harder each day to keep a peaceful composure and can feel myself sliding back into shock & awe mode. Here's hoping Islam Makhachev dominates Charles Oliveira on Saturday to relieve some of that pressure. Many predict this could be the fight of the year and I for one can't wait to cheer team Khabib on. Our local Kafkaz community expects no less from me, though they're very respectful of Oliveira and are not the type to underestimate anyone. And yes Japan's bearwhisperer is a boss in my book also. Bless you Jim and know that your guidance and good vibes are always much appreciated,
max

Thank you, Max. And here's hoping that the vibes around your locale begin to improve and lighten up.

I haven't actually watched UFC for a few years now. It sounds like it's going to be a great match-up, though. Enjoy!

Jim
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

James Y wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:55 pm
max808 wrote:
James Y wrote:
max808 wrote:

You have a good one Sir,
max

Hi, Max.

Here's the video:

Jim
max

Thank you, Max. And here's hoping that the vibes around your locale begin to improve and lighten up.

I haven't actually watched UFC for a few years now. It sounds like it's going to be a great match-up, though. Enjoy!

Jim
And here’s to hoping Suga Sean beats them all! That kid is my favorite fighter in a long time
max808

Post by max808 »

James Y wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:55 pm
max808 wrote:
James Y wrote:
max808 wrote:

You have a good one Sir,
max

Hi, Max.

Here's the video:

Jim
max

Jim
:respect :bug-white :usflag TGIF! :usflag :bug-white :respect

Can't wait for Saturday! Not sure about ya boy Suga, Pyotr Jan called him a pink poodle after he insulted his family. People from the Eastblock tend to be sensitive about that.
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Agree. Biggest challenge Sean has had this far. He needs to exploit his huge length advantage over Peter.
max808

Post by max808 »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:52 am
Agree. Biggest challenge Sean has had this far. He needs to exploit his huge length advantage over Peter.
Agreed, Suga Sean was quite low profile at the press conference and respectful of Petr/Pjotr Yan, who didn't say much except Saturday/today he has work to do, that much I understand...
SABOTA RABOTA
max808

Post by max808 »

Our boy Islam Makhachev executed the playbook flawlessly and dominated Charles DoBronx Oliveira yesterday. He is now a most noble and humble world champion for clan Magomedov/Nurmagomedov proudly representing Kafkaz values!

Jamaican warrior king Alajamain Sterling defended his crown by putting a beating on Killashaw, who was ground and pounded to within an inch of his life.

Russian pitbull Pjotr Yan put another beating on Suga Sean but I guess the judges saw it differently.

Khabib called out Aleksandr Volkanovski and Islam wanted to know "who is this short guy, I didn't see him."
:winking-tongue

Thank you to Dana White and the most noble people of Abu Dhabi for hosting this legendary event.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

max808 wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:16 am
Our boy Islam Makhachev executed the playbook flawlessly and dominated Charles DoBronx Oliveira yesterday. He is now a most noble and humble world champion for clan Magomedov/Nurmagomedov proudly representing Kafkaz values!

Jamaican warrior king Alajamain Sterling defended his crown by putting a beating on Killashaw, who was ground and pounded to within an inch of his life.

Russian pitbull Pjotr Yan put another beating on Suga Sean but I guess the judges saw it differently.

Khabib called out Aleksandr Volkanovski and Islam wanted to know "who is this short guy, I didn't see him."

Thank you to Dana White and the most noble people of Abu Dhabi for hosting this legendary event.
I disagree Peter put a beating on Sean. I do think Peter won but that was a close fight separated by Peter’s takedowns. Sean escaped to feet from the all but no points are seated for escapes IMO. Sean’s striking was superior. Only bad part about Peter losing is Aljo gets to duck him while wearing a belt he fell backwards into and acted like he ripped it from Peter.
James Y

Post by James Y »

As has been repeated as nauseum throughout this thread...DON'T UNDERESTIMATE ANYONE.

A typical person who sees this guy just standing or sitting down somewhere would most likely think he has no physical ability at all. Physical appearances can be, and often are, very deceptive.

https://youtube.com/shorts/JhaIMDgvIiY?feature=share

Jim
LetsGetSharp

Post by LetsGetSharp »

He's skinny, but you can see how much torque he can produce (wide shoulder bone structure) - I think that's what produces the punching power, it's like leverage. And technique teaches you how to tap into that.
James Y

Post by James Y »

LetsGetSharp wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:26 am
He's skinny, but you can see how much torque he can produce (wide shoulder bone structure) - I think that's what produces the punching power, it's like leverage. And technique teaches you how to tap into that.

Very true.

Actually, many of the most powerful strikers (punches, kicks, etc.) that I've seen or sparred with have been thin or lanky, as opposed to being jacked-up. If properly trained and with proper intent, they have a lot of leverage and penetration; their delivery is relaxed, as opposed to tensed up; and when they get you right at the end of their punch or kick, it's like a stone tied at the end of a rope that's being swung or whipped into you.

Power starts from the feet and legs, weight shift, then with hip torque, through the shoulders, etc. If there is any unnecessary tension along that path, it's like a 'kink in the hose.'

Jim
max808

Post by max808 »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:29 pm
max808 wrote:

I disagree Peter put a beating on Sean. I do think Peter won but that was a close fight separated by Peter’s takedowns. Sean escaped to feet from the all but no points are seated for escapes IMO. Sean’s striking was superior. Only bad part about Peter losing is Aljo gets to duck him while wearing a belt he fell backwards into and acted like he ripped it from Peter.
I'll take your word for it Sir, perhaps we weren't paying close enough attention and the judges have the final say. All I saw at the end was Pyotr with not a mark on him and Suga Sean with a severely bruised face. I guess that's why they always say don't leave it up to the judges, also a sneaking suspicion that geopolitics was a decisive factor.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

max808 wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:38 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:29 pm
max808 wrote:

I'll take your word for it Sir, perhaps we weren't paying close enough attention and the judges have the final say. All I saw at the end was Pyotr with not a mark on him and Suga Sean with a severely bruised face. I guess that's why they always say don't leave it up to the judges, also a sneaking suspicion that geopolitics was a decisive factor.
Bisping said in a video after that Sean created more damage. Peter was bleeding from his cheek? I will say Sean is the UFC’s new toy and was getting the same favored son love that Askrrn got coming in
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

James Y

Post by James Y »

How to Stop a Gym Creeper / Master Ken

😅

https://youtu.be/vRu-6YyB-9w

Jim
LetsGetSharp

Post by LetsGetSharp »

James Y wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:14 am
LetsGetSharp wrote:

Very true.

Actually, many of the most powerful strikers (punches, kicks, etc.) that I've seen or sparred with have been thin or lanky, as opposed to being jacked-up. If properly trained and with proper intent, they have a lot of leverage and penetration; their delivery is relaxed, as opposed to tensed up; and when they get you right at the end of their punch or kick, it's like a stone tied at the end of a rope that's being swung or whipped into you.

Power starts from the feet and legs, weight shift, then with hip torque, through the shoulders, etc. If there is any unnecessary tension along that path, it's like a 'kink in the hose.'

Jim
Well said. Getting popped by a good puncher isn't fun haha! Apparently even a light concussion counts as a so-called "mild traumatic brain injury" and does damage.
Last edited by LetsGetSharp on Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

A couple of videos of Bill "Superfoot" Wallace, one of the few idols of my youth. As mentioned in a couple earlier posts, in 1982, I attended a 5-day kickboxing training camp taught by Bill Wallace. There were martial artists and fighters from all over the US and Canada. It was 5 days of 8-hour training days. One of the highlights of my martial arts life was being able to train under, and actually spar with, Bill Wallace.

In the training camp I attended, we weren't wearing full Karate gis, but wore Karate gi bottoms and T-shirts.

Although Bill Wallace was known for his amazing flexibility and kicking, in actual sparring, I was far more concerned about his hands, especially his jab and left hook. Wallace's boxing skills are highly underrated. He could go hands-only and easily beat the entire room. And in most of his professional kickboxing bouts I ever saw, he usually inflicted more damage with his left hook than with his legendary left leg.

One thing about sparring Bill Wallace is that he can keep on going and going. You can see the guy in the second video starts getting tired and wanting to quit. That's a no-no with Bill Wallace. You keep going with him until he's done. I saw that happen with a guy who sparred him before me, so I knew no matter how tired or outclassed I might feel, I would keep going. It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity anyway, right? There will be plenty of time to rest afterwards. In the second video, they're going hands-only.

I believe that both videos are from the 1980s.

Bill "Superfoot" Wallace 3 Kicks Detailed

https://youtu.be/CGvP-nSpwqA

Bill "Superfoot" Wallace Kicks Student's ***

https://youtu.be/NleVhyoN3Wo

Jim
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

James Y wrote:
LetsGetSharp wrote:

Very true.

Jim
Deontay Wilder comes to mind
James Y

Post by James Y »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:02 am
James Y wrote:
LetsGetSharp wrote:

Very true.

Jim
Deontay Wilder comes to mind

Agreed.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Muay Thai fight

A Thai fighting a much taller/larger opponent.

https://youtu.be/-vb8a5p6qyk

Jim