Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

Post by James Y »

Takuan wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:03 am
Aikido was my first martial art. I trained in it from 1995 until 1999 and earned the rank of ikkyu (brown belt). I was about one month away from my scheduled black belt test when I quit. I originally got into martial arts after seeing Royce Gracie in UFCs 1 and 2, but there was no Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu available in my town, so I trained in the only martial art available on my college campus, which was Aikido. My instructors were great and I learned some good things from them: ukemi (how to fall safely), lots of joint locks, meditation techniques, kiatsu (pressure point therapy similar to shiatsu), etc. I also got to go to Japan for a summer and train there, which was fun.

After I had been training for a couple of years, I had begun to suspect that Aikido wasn’t the most effective martial art for realistic self-defense. About that time, I met a guy who was a brown belt in a non-traditional style of Japanese jujitsu who utterly dominated me in sparring: he could take me down and submit me at will, all without putting a scratch on me (i.e., he was doing exactly what Aikido aims to do, but better). I immediately became his student. Jujitsu led me to take up Jeet Kune Do so that I’d have some kickboxing and weapons skills to go with my grappling. After I had been training jujitsu for a little over a year and JKD for just under a year, I was attacked by a paranoid schizophrenic who had gone off his meds and had a psychotic break. I learned later that he had a long history of criminal violence. Fortunately, I was able to avoid his strikes, get to the clinch, throw him (osoto gari), establish mount, get him to roll face-down, and submit him with a rear naked choke. Even though he was attempting every foul tactic in the book (e.g., groin shots, gouging, biting, etc.), I was able to avoid his attacks and neutralize him without harm to either of us. I asked the judge to commit him to a mental hospital rather than send him to jail so he could get the help he needed.

At the end of the fight, I realized that I hadn’t used one Aikido technique even though I was about one month away from earning my black belt. I had no rank whatsoever in JKD or jujitsu, and those were the arts I depended on when my life was on the line. After some soul-searching, I quit Aikido and focused only on JKD and jujitsu. I finally found a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu teacher a few years later after moving to Hawaii. I’m currently a Level 3 Instructor in JKD and a first-degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and I also hold a second-degree black belt in judo through USA Judo.

I told you all of that so that I could make this point. I think that Aikido is a wonderful art if your main goal is self-cultivation through the study of a traditional art form. It is not an effective martial art for self-defense if you haven’t had any training in other styles, though. Somebody who is a skilled kickboxer and grappler with a strong MMA background might be able to make some Aikido techniques work (e.g., I wrist lock people on the ground in jiu-jitsu a lot), but Aikido by itself isn’t terribly effective. There are three big problems with the way they train from a self-defense perspective: (1) their main goal is not self-defense, but rather self-cultivation through the study/preservation of a Japanese art, so their training methodologies are designed to promote a different goal than realistic fighting skill; (2) they typically don’t train to be complete fighters in all ranges of combat (kickboxing, clinch, and ground), with an without realistic weapons (guns, knives, and sticks); and (3) they don’t train using progressive resistance (sparring against a skilled, fully resisting opponent). Apparently, Morihei Ueshiba, the founder of Aikido, only accepted students who had earned dan rank in other styles like judo, jūjutsu, karate, etc. He figured that you needed to get the fighting out of your system first so that you could learn the spiritual lessons he was trying to impart.

I hope this doesn’t offend anyone, since that’s not my goal and I’m coming at this from an insider’s perspective. I just think that martial artists need to be realistic about what is and is not self-defense. For example, I love judo, but it’s not a fighting system; it’s a competitive sport. I’ve had to adapt what I learned there to make it effective for self-defense.

This guy has an interesting YouTube channel about his journey from Aikido to MMA: https://youtu.be/0KUXTC8g_pk. It reminds me a bit of my own journey, though I didn’t train in Aikido nearly as long as he did before getting my wake up call.

Thank you for openly sharing your experiences and viewpoints, Takuan! Much appreciated!

Yes, I have watched several of the Martial Arts Journey videos. I like his openness.

TBH, I think that virtually all martial arts must be adapted for self-defense. Self-defense encompasses SO MANY THINGS, of which physical fighting is only a part.

After training Kenpo in the '70s - early '80s, I can't say I've ever been a 'pure' or 'traditional' martial artist, whatever 'pure' or 'traditional' actually mean. My Kenpo teacher incorporated whatever worked from his background, including boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, some Chinese arts, etc. We also had boxers, professional kickboxers, Tae Kwon Do men, and some street fighter types who trained with us, which was very different from other Kenpo schools I'd seen, which were mostly geared towards tournament point sparring. This shaped my entire viewpoint of what I would want to experience in the future.

For only one example, I also studied "traditional" arts like Shito-ryu, mostly for the experience of training in a highly regimented and somewhat militaristic (at the time) Japanese dojo. But during sparring, I always moved in ways I learned in Kenpo (which I was still training in, approved by my Kenpo teacher and unbeknownst to the Shito-ryu sensei!), although I 'muted' those other skills out of respect. It really confused the higher-belt students. Although some of the black belts, and especially the sensei, were BEASTS, who could easily handle me at the level I was at, at the time. So there are lessons of true value from that, that I carry with me still.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Man Chases Down Home Invader With Didgeridoo

For a bit of levity here. 🙂

"Father of 12"? Holy crap!!

This man may or may not have been martial arts-trained, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that nobody at first glance would ever suspect his athleticism; his running speed and flexibility. He's probably capable of a lot more, too. He's a perfect example of Don't Underestimate Anyone.

https://youtu.be/1yfrQhjsrAg

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

"Big Country" Roy Nelson

*Two videos below.

Roy Nelson was, and is, one of my favorite MMA fighters, and is my favorite MMA heavyweight. I like fighters that bring something unique to the table. Roy Nelson possesses a deceptively high level of skill and athleticism. He is also a high-level BJJ black belt, and has a background in wrestling. When I first saw him, and heard him being announced as a Kung Fu stylist, I thought it was a joke, to throw people off. But in reality, he was, and still is, a longtime Ng Ga Kuen practitioner, and isn't afraid to admit it. Which shows a lot about his character, and his willingness to learn, and give credit where credit is due in his martial arts development.

Roy Nelson has never made it a secret that he is a Kung Fu practitioner, and holds a black sash in Ng Ga Kuen (Five Family Fist). This is a southern Chinese system that was first brought to the US by Wong Ark-Yuey (often referred to as Ark Wong), who was one of the very first Chinese martial arts teachers who openly taught non-Chinese in America.

A bit off-topic: A good friend of mine is a sifu of Ng Ga Kuen from that same lineage. He is one of only a couple people I know that I will still discuss martial arts with.

Sigung Steve Baugh with "Big Country" Roy Nelson:

https://youtu.be/W92kI4fGuBI

"Big Country" Roy Nelson, Top 5 Knockouts in UFC/MMA:

https://youtu.be/ULyxs6QKJPs

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Hidden Techniques of Chaquan

Featuring Sensei Tamotsu Miyahara

Miyahara is a Japanese instructor of Chaquan (Cha's Fist), a substyle of Changquan (Long Fist), which was named after a Hui Muslim named Chamir (AKA Cha Shang Yir), who taught his art to fellow Hui in Shandong Province in the late Ming Dynasty. Until fairly recent history, Chaquan was primarily practiced among the Hui minority in China. It was one of China's Jiao Men (Islamic) martial arts.

I learned a little bit of Chaquan under Master Kao, my first Mantis teacher in Taiwan, along with other Changquan/Long Fist styles, like Meihuaquan (Plum Blossom Fist), etc., before choosing to specialize in Tanglangquan (Mantis Fist) over there.

The movement combination shown starting from 9:10, and discussed until the end of the video, is a good example of the multi-faceted nature of combative Chinese martial arts. Often, what applies to weapons also applies to empty hands, and vice versa. Also, the same general movement can have multiple variations and applications, depending on the situation, distance, positioning, opponent's reactions, etc.

Chaquan is a northern Chinese system, and several other northern systems, including Bajiquan and Piguaquan, contain identical or similar combinations to this. Taijiquan (also written as Tai Chi Chuan), another northern Changquan-based system, contains a movement called Ye Ma Fen Zong (parting the wild horse's mane) that may appear superficially different, but the principle is essentially the same. Choy Lee Fut, a southern Chinese system, also has that same striking/throwing combo attack, with only slight variations (fist, as opposed to open palm) in the basic, outer form. But it is the exact same principle. Note: When the same or nearly identical combination technique/principle appears multiple times, within and across numerous Chinese martial arts systems, it is not a random coincidence, but means it is something that holds a degree of importance, and for a good reason.

https://youtu.be/pfIHKsIv9SU

Jim
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

James Y wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:16 am
"Big Country" Roy Nelson

*Two videos below.

Roy Nelson was, and is, one of my favorite MMA fighters, and is my favorite MMA heavyweight. I like fighters that bring something unique to the table. Roy Nelson possesses a deceptively high level of skill and athleticism. He is also a high-level BJJ black belt, and has a background in wrestling. When I first saw him, and heard him being announced as a Kung Fu stylist, I thought it was a joke, to throw people off. But in reality, he was, and still is, a longtime Ng Ga Kuen practitioner, and isn't afraid to admit it. Which shows a lot about his character, and his willingness to learn, and give credit where credit is due in his martial arts development.

Roy Nelson has never made it a secret that he is a Kung Fu practitioner, and holds a black sash in Ng Ga Kuen (Five Family Fist). This is a southern Chinese system that was first brought to the US by Wong Ark-Yuey (often referred to as Ark Wong), who was one of the very first Chinese martial arts teachers who openly taught non-Chinese in America.

A bit off-topic: A good friend of mine is a sifu of Ng Ga Kuen from that same lineage. He is one of only a couple people I know that I will still discuss martial arts with.

Sigung Steve Baugh with "Big Country" Roy Nelson:

https://youtu.be/W92kI4fGuBI

"Big Country" Roy Nelson, Top 5 Knockouts in UFC/MMA:

https://youtu.be/ULyxs6QKJPs

Jim

https://youtu.be/cmdswg4pY48

I thought this applicable to Roy Nson
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I watch NTD News and I came across the following.

I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Most Dangerous Man in the Room

This is an excellent little video. As I've stated countless times ad nauseum in this thread, Never Underestimate Anyone.

I learned this very early in life. Starting in 2nd grade, I knew a Mexican-American kid named Martin, who was in 1st grade. He was small even for his age. We were friendly because our dads had worked together. I saw older kids who were big for their ages make the mistake of trying to bully him. Both times I saw him fight back and literally destroy those bigger kids with unbelievable ferocity, leaving the bigger kids curled up and cowering on the ground. Back then, I myself was afraid of fighting back, and I viewed Martin, this undersized 1st-grader, with awe.

Throughout this thread, I've mentioned some other people I knew or met who were easy to underestimate. Or that I had underestimated. In a couple situations, I was underestimated.

Back in the '70s during my Kenpo days, one of the assistant instructors was a short, fat, quiet, middle-aged guy with a thick mustache, whose gut partially covered the black belt around his waste. When he led basic movements, he looked slow and unimpressive, and he couldn't kick above knee height. Yet he could easily handle himself in sparring against tough fit guys, amateur boxers, and professional kickboxers who trained there, too. And he made it look easy. One time, I actually saw him put one hyper-aggressive guy down with a body punch so hard that the guy passed out.

I've seen, met, and/or known several others who most people would severely underestimate.

Dangerous people come in all shapes, sizes, ages, races, ethnicities, appearances, temperaments, fitness levels, etc. In my experience, the most dangerous ones in real life are often the least exceptional-looking.

https://youtu.be/I3JOXMjo1s4

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:48 pm
I watch NTD News and I came across the following.

Thanks for sharing, Naperville.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Peter Consterdine: Martial Artist, Security, and Self-Defense Expert

Peter Consterdine is one of the most knowledgeable on these subjects, and is one of my favorite true experts to listen to.

I posted a couple videos of him back on Page 14 of this thread, in which he demonstrated the basics of the "double hip action," that increases punching and striking power over conventional methods of generating power, which he originally learned from Shukokai Karate master Shigeru Kimura. I've been practicing his double hip method to power my strikes, and once you get the hang of it, it works. Once you have the basics of the "double hip action" down, then you must adapt it to delivering different strikes with it, at different ranges, from different positions, and in combinations. His method isn't too different from the power generating methods I learned in Chinese martial arts. But there are still distinct differences that make his method unique.

Peter Consterdine has definitely "been there, done that."

https://youtu.be/Iz6Y1xRDuao

Jim
max808

Post by max808 »

James Y wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:30 pm

Peter Consterdine is one of the most knowledgeable on these subjects, and is one of my favorite true experts to listen to.

I posted a couple videos of him back on Page 14 of this thread, in which he demonstrated the basics of the "double hip action," that increases punching and striking power over conventional methods of generating power, which he originally learned from Shukokai Karate master Shigeru Kimura. I've been practicing his double hip method to power my strikes, and once you get the hang of it, it works. Once you have the basics of the "double hip action" down, then you must adapt it to delivering different strikes with it, at different ranges, from different positions, and in combinations. His method isn't too different from the power generating methods I learned in Chinese martial arts. But there are still distinct differences that make his method unique.

Jim
Thanks for sharing Jim, I remember Mr. Consterdine from watching his routine back in the day. Like Naperville I used to collect martial arts DVDs and one of them was a Consterdine special where he explained his hip technique in great detail. Looked very effective and sounded brutal on impakt. Also his technique where someone grabs your wrist and you circle around his to lock it, is tried and tested.

Some people claim that never happens in real life, but I've seen drunk/beligerent dudes grab someone's wrist and start shaking it, even with women. That type of characters tend to get dealt with swiftly though, around here we don't take kindly to folk who abuse women.

My man Jiří Procházka would concur, and he's the new big dog in the light heavyweight division. Congratulations to him, though he was not satisfied with his performance I'm thinking he's been studying that tape to death and hopefully working on his ground and takedown defense. At only 29 years old Budo Viking is going places Jim, mark my words.
:respect :usflag :respect

Have a good one Sir and stay safe out there,

max
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
James Y

Post by James Y »

max808 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:04 am
James Y wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:30 pm

Jim
Thanks for sharing Jim, I remember Mr. Consterdine from watching his routine back in the day. Like Naperville I used to collect martial arts DVDs and one of them was a Consterdine special where he explained his hip technique in great detail. Looked very effective and sounded brutal on impakt. Also his technique where someone grabs your wrist and you circle around his to lock it, is tried and tested.

Some people claim that never happens in real life, but I've seen drunk/beligerent dudes grab someone's wrist and start shaking it, even with women. That type of characters tend to get dealt with swiftly though, around here we don't take kindly to folk who abuse women.

My man Jiří Procházka would concur, and he's the new big dog in the light heavyweight division. Congratulations to him, though he was not satisfied with his performance I'm thinking he's been studying that tape to death and hopefully working on his ground and takedown defense. At only 29 years old Budo Viking is going places Jim, mark my words.
:respect :usflag :respect

Have a good one Sir and stay safe out there,

max

Greetings, Max, and thank you for sharing!

Yes, Jiri Prochazka is a true beast of a fighter.

You have a great one and stay safe, too.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Horror Stories - The True Cost of Self-Defense

https://youtu.be/6e3_gPa2EuQ

Jim
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Having a trouble finding James' post with the clip from Casino. That scene says it all. In my 22 years NYC Law Enforcement and having been born and raised in this city I can say that IS how it happens when there's no posturing. And even when there is SOMETIMES one of the "posturers" decides to go. And he usually wins. We've all heard it abut it's true, the one who lands the first blow USUALLY wins.
Also true the size of the fighter usually doesn't matter. In this scene Joe Pesce is substantially smaller than the other guy. If the smaller fighter has more tenacity and ferocity all else being equal he will win. Or unequal. Also experience, like everything else in life NOTHING beats experience. A dude who's been in a lot of fights, especially street fights ain't so afraid of them. And like Fran Herbert said "Fear is the mind killer".
There's another good scene, very brief with Pesce from My Cousin Vinny where he finally hits a guy who has it coming. If memory serves the guy is running his mouth as Pesce is walking toward him and Pesce just punches him. Again the guy was substantially bigger because I believe Pesce sort of jumps up to connect with his face. He knocks him down if not out, not guaranteed in the real world but hitting first is a **** of an advantage.

This is how you win a fight. Speed, surprise, violence of action. And to take from another film, The Shootist with John Wayne, You've got to be willing. Unfortunately in today's Western societies this is not only frowned upon and misunderstood making you the attacker in most peoples eyes it will usually get you arrested, if not convicted. Try explaining these concepts to a jury of millennials and soft Americans. I'll wait here.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Sorry the clip from Casino is in James' Favorite movie fight scenes thread. Possibly why I couldn't find it here! And it's Frank Herbert, not Fran. Left off the k.
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

James Y wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:28 am

Jim
Thanks, Jim. This video should be required viewing for all martial arts students. I’m both a martial arts instructor (Jeet Kune Do and Jiu-Jitsu) and a college professor (mainly applied ethics and pre-law courses), so I think that legal awareness is one of the most important and neglected aspects of self-defense. I had Jeff Smith, author of Mr. Smith Goes to Prison, speak to one of my classes last semester, and he said many of the same things about the legal system that are mentioned in the video (and Jeff was a politician with a Ph.D. in political science, so if he had difficulties with the legal system, you know it’s tough).

The video also makes a good point about the social propriety of the knife you carry. I try to avoid “tactical” looking blades that make it look like I’m armed to the teeth. I love the Spyderco Salt series because the bright handle colors make the knives look like outdoor equipment rather than military hardware (and I tend to stick to the 3-inch blades while on campus). As a college professor, I can’t pull out a full-sized Emerson Commander in front of my colleagues or students, and I definitely don’t want to have to explain to an officer why I have such a knife in my pocket. [For the record, I own several Emersons, and I think they make great stuff, but their knives do scream “tactical.”]

Though I live in Missouri, which is a castle doctrine state (and thus fairly knife/gun-friendly), I nonetheless always carry OC spray (a Kimber Pepper Blaster II) along with my knife. Courts tend to look more favorably on less-than-lethal self-defense methods, and I’d rather have the range advantage of OC, particularly in a multiple-attacker scenario. I also have a CCW permit, so I do carry a firearm where it is legal, but firearms are banned on our campus, so OC is the best long-range option for me on most days. I’ve pulled pepper spray twice on attackers, but never had to use it since I was able to de-escalate those situations. Fortunately, every fight that I haven’t been able to avoid or de-escalate has been resolved with a submission (joint-lock or choke), so I haven’t had to injure anybody, which made talking to the police much easier.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
James Y

Post by James Y »

Co Pilot wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:10 am
Having a trouble finding James' post with the clip from Casino. That scene says it all. In my 22 years NYC Law Enforcement and having been born and raised in this city I can say that IS how it happens when there's no posturing. And even when there is SOMETIMES one of the "posturers" decides to go. And he usually wins. We've all heard it abut it's true, the one who lands the first blow USUALLY wins.
Also true the size of the fighter usually doesn't matter. In this scene Joe Pesce is substantially smaller than the other guy. If the smaller fighter has more tenacity and ferocity all else being equal he will win. Or unequal. Also experience, like everything else in life NOTHING beats experience. A dude who's been in a lot of fights, especially street fights ain't so afraid of them. And like Fran Herbert said "Fear is the mind killer".
There's another good scene, very brief with Pesce from My Cousin Vinny where he finally hits a guy who has it coming. If memory serves the guy is running his mouth as Pesce is walking toward him and Pesce just punches him. Again the guy was substantially bigger because I believe Pesce sort of jumps up to connect with his face. He knocks him down if not out, not guaranteed in the real world but hitting first is a **** of an advantage.

This is how you win a fight. Speed, surprise, violence of action. And to take from another film, The Shootist with John Wayne, You've got to be willing. Unfortunately in today's Western societies this is not only frowned upon and misunderstood making you the attacker in most peoples eyes it will usually get you arrested, if not convicted. Try explaining these concepts to a jury of millennials and soft Americans. I'll wait here.

Thank you for your knowledge, Co Pilot!

Yes, unfortunately, society frowns on self-defense. The legal system especially hates tactics that make defending one's self more effective, such as pre-emptive actions, when it's clear that physical violence is impending and absolutely unavoidable. While seeming to give bad guys carte blanche to do whatever they like. I could go further into this, but I'm not going to, because it P's me off, and it will get into certain subjects (political subjects), which I won't go into in this thread, and which are against the rules here, anyway.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Takuan wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:31 am
James Y wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:28 am

Jim
Thanks, Jim. This video should be required viewing for all martial arts students. I’m both a martial arts instructor (Jeet Kune Do and Jiu-Jitsu) and a college professor (mainly applied ethics and pre-law courses), so I think that legal awareness is one of the most important and neglected aspects of self-defense. I had Jeff Smith, author of Mr. Smith Goes to Prison, speak to one of my classes last semester, and he said many of the same things about the legal system that are mentioned in the video (and Jeff was a politician with a Ph.D. in political science, so if he had difficulties with the legal system, you know it’s tough).

The video also makes a good point about the social propriety of the knife you carry. I try to avoid “tactical” looking blades that make it look like I’m armed to the teeth. I love the Spyderco Salt series because the bright handle colors make the knives look like outdoor equipment rather than military hardware (and I tend to stick to the 3-inch blades while on campus). As a college professor, I can’t pull out a full-sized Emerson Commander in front of my colleagues or students, and I definitely don’t want to have to explain to an officer why I have such a knife in my pocket. [For the record, I own several Emersons, and I think they make great stuff, but their knives do scream “tactical.”]

Though I live in Missouri, which is a castle doctrine state (and thus fairly knife/gun-friendly), I nonetheless always carry OC spray (a Kimber Pepper Blaster II) along with my knife. Courts tend to look more favorably on less-than-lethal self-defense methods, and I’d rather have the range advantage of OC, particularly in a multiple-attacker scenario. I also have a CCW permit, so I do carry a firearm where it is legal, but firearms are banned on our campus, so OC is the best long-range option for me on most days. I’ve pulled pepper spray twice on attackers, but never had to use it since I was able to de-escalate those situations. Fortunately, every fight that I haven’t been able to avoid or de-escalate has been resolved with a submission (joint-lock or choke), so I haven’t had to injure anybody, which made talking to the police much easier.

Thank you for posting and sharing your knowledge, Takuan.

I used to carry pepper spray, Sabre Red. I never needed to use it on a person, but one time while on a walk, an aggressive mid-sized dog ran around a corner, saw me, bared its teeth and came at me. I pulled the Sabre Red, unlocked the firing trigger, and pressed. The darn trigger was frozen solid! I pressed on it several times, and nothing. Luckily, the dog momentarily hesitated when I pointed the cannister at it. Then its stupid owner came around the corner and grabbed its collar and walked away...she offered me no apology, BTW. If you have an aggressive dog, keep it on a leash.

After they were gone, I directed the cannister towards a gutter and pressed on the trigger. It took several more attempts before a stream finally shot out. I was pissed. I could've had to fight a dog because the mechanism malfunctioned, even though I had followed the directions on test firing it, and it was still years before the use by date. Luckily, the dog had not been 100% committed to attacking. I kinda lost faith in pepper spray after that...not in the spray itself, but in the reliability of its delivery system.

For the past few years, I've carried a 51" straight hickory walking stick on my walks. I've had three occasions where stray dogs have been aggressive with me; one time two dogs at once, and I used the stick to keep them at bay. Only once did I actually have to hit a dog on its head. I struck with the thicker, harder handle end. I know how to use a staff (both long and short staff), and a walking stick is perfectly legal.

Jim
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

Sorry to hear about the Sabre failing you like that, Jim. I like the Kimber Pepper Blaster II because it uses a chemical ignition system instead of compressed gas to propel the pepper spray. It has a muzzle velocity over 110 miles per hour and shoots on a flat trajectory for a good 5 yards. When one of the units hits its expiration date, I take it outside and shoot it for practice. I’ve never had one misfire on me. Since there’s no compressed gas, you can also leave it in a hot car or put it in your checked bags while flying and not worry about it leaking. I also like the fact that it is shaped like a firearm, so I can rely on the same skill set for all my ranged weapons.

Of course, the Teddy Roosevelt “big stick” approach works really well, too. I have an Irish Blackthorne cane that I often take for walks or when I am flying.
--Socrates
James Y

Post by James Y »

Thanks, Takuan.

I checked out the Kimber Pepper Blaster II, and unfortunately, it's illegal here in CA. Otherwise, I would get one of those as part of an overall SD plan.

I've thought about getting a Blackthorne walking stick with a natural knob on the end, like a long shillelagh. How comfortable is yours to actually walk with? I don't actually need my hickory stick as a walking aid, but I like the extra length of a walking stick over a cane-length stick for the extra reach. It can also be used in close quarters, as well. Hickory isn't the lightest wood for a walking stick, but it's not 'heavy' either, and it's one of the densest woods for a stick. I'm assuming that Blackthorne is very comparable.

Jim
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

Blackthorn is a nice balance between sturdiness and lightness. The head on my cane is narrow, which makes it easy to grip and fairly light, but they can vary since each cane is unique. My dad has one that is very stout from the same maker due to the natural variance in the wood.
--Socrates