Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:06 pm
James Y wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:56 pm
Ouch! Thanks for sharing your experience and the video.

The eye is no joke. The worst pain I ever felt was once, 40+ ago during sparring, an opponent wearing those cheap, foam-dipped, Jhoon Rhee-designed Saf-T Punch (or whatever they were called) gloves missed my face with a left punch, but his thumb had been open, and the tip of his exposed thumb rammed straight into my right eyeball. That stopped me in my tracks. With my eye closed, I lightly touched the eyelid, and it felt flat underneath...at least I thought it did. I sat down, and about 5 minutes later, I touched the eyelid again, and I felt the eyeball underneath it again. I very slowly opened my eye in front of a mirror, and my eye was normal, but very red and a bit teary. Surprisingly, I never even suffered an eye infection or a detached retina, or whatever.

After the 5 minutes there was no pain at all; but right after it happened, it was the worst pain in my life up to that point. And I'd previously taken an unprotected shot to the balls by a tennis ball from a hard serve that put me down on the tennis court for several minutes. Yes, my worst ball shot came NOT during a sparring match or a fight, but during a game of tennis.

Jim
I know.....we're all sissies! :squinting-tongue

Sorry about your eye poke. It really is quite the wake up call isn't it. One day after 20+ years you think you've just lost vision in one eye, and it freaks you out. It certainly did myself.

No seriously, sparring can be as dangerous as a real fight. Blows to the face/eyes is bad news and I for one thought, what in the heck am I doing with no protective gear of any kind. Now that group Stockton-Multistyle uses eye protection, helmets, and gloves.

Just a note: It is all very confusing, probably too confusing to get into but I'll give it a shot. I came to Bahala Na about 10 to 15 years after they started teaching their art to outsiders. Before that you really had to know someone to get invited to the homes of the instructors.

Guro Dan Inosanto was the first graduate of Bahala Na, and later Inosanto opened a school with Bruce Lee.

There were a few guys with a lot of talent who initially taught everyone in Lodi and Stockton: Dentoy Revillar, Max Sarmiento, Leo Giron and Angel Cabales. There were probably another 6 that also taught escrima/arnis in the area where the Filipino farmers learned under fruit trees and asparagus fields but their arts are not as big.

Around 2001, I started studying escrima with Suro Jason Inay, in Inayan, founded by Mangisursuro Mike Inay, a graduate of GM Angel Cabales. I also received private lessons from Lahong Susuro John Peterson(dec) and Guro David Antony Ruiz.

I was studying 3 escrima arts at once in 2002, but they were all very closely related. The founders of the arts all belonged to the same Filipino lodges.

* I referred to the escrima group that I spent most of my time with as Bahala Na(out of Stockton, CA). That is who they were at the time. They are very well known in escrima circles in NorCal. Well the GM who instructed the initial group(which I was not part of) passed away, his name was GM Leo Giron. A new GM Tony Somera was chosen by GM Giron, and it caused quite a bit of anger among the original group of students. GM Tony Somera was my instructor at the Bahala Na.

To make matters worse, after I returned home from Stockton, CA, to Illinois, Bahala Na GM Tony Somera passed away. The group already reeling from the initial issues, completely fractured because what was the head instructor of the Bahala Na, Maestro Labanog was not delegated as the new leader by GM Somera.

* I had also been studying an art called SLD, which stands for Serrada, Dequerdas(spelling varies) and Largo Mano under Maestro Dexter Labanog, who formed his own group to teach and was REAL tight with the older instructors at Bahala Na. Initially Dexter was the lead instructor under GM Leo Giron.

* I was also studying under Guro Carlito Bonjoc, a graduate of Cabales Serrada Escrima in his art Mata Sa Bagyo.

Well, I got back to Illinois and Bahala Na broke up into around 4 arts. I am not going to go into all of them because there is no way you will read all of that. Historically it is important but it is too confusing.

Just know that the video above that I posted had instructors that also trained me at Bahala Na and SLD. They initially formed a group called, "Bahala Na - Multistyle" and combined all of the techniques with the head of the new group under GM Dexter Labanog. But the group was sued, and they lost in court, and changed the name of the school to "Stockton-Multistyle."

Bahala Na is still around. As is O.G.E, Original Giron Escrima founded by the son of GM Giron.

If you can believe it, between 2000 and 2003, I studied with at least 3 other escrima/arnis groups. The ones above had the most influence on me. You may have heard of Sayoc, yep I trained with them too but not enough to do much.

Naperville,

Thank you for sharing your training history and some of the details of the groups you trained with. Sounds to me your background has a rich history.

TBH, I'm not overly familiar with the Filipino martial arts. My Kenpo teacher also trained in Arnis and Escrima, among other arts, but I only trained a little bit of Arnis under Remy Presas. So basically, my knowledge of FMA is nil. However, I do have great respect for FMA, and your background is excellent.

I honestly don't know why I never formally trained in FMA. It would have fit me much better than some arts I spent some time in (Tae Kwon Do, for example); which, after having done Kenpo and Sh!to-ryu Karate, TKD was too easy for me. I could already do all the kicks as well as or better than many of the better TKD guys before I even tried TKD out. The only difference was that the TKD people shuffled around and bounced around on their kicks more, but they weren't better than the Kenpo or Sh!to-ryu guys at it.

It is sad how, as in almost everything else, politics, ego, and jealousy rear their ugly heads in martial arts, and in MA organizations.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Politics in MA is the main reason I left Facebook.I was told not to repost certain people's posts. I had many conversations in private to avoid problems, but that meant that while I could follow everyone, I could not comment to the people in public. It was bad news and I wanted O.U.T.

The other problem on Facebook was people claiming to know someone that I followed, who wanted to follow me and communicate with me. Some claimed to be friends of relatives that I followed. Some claimed to be long lost relatives and I had no idea who they were! Too many strangers and soon my feed was full of gobbeldy-goop!!!

Haven't been on Facebook for years now.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:14 pm
Politics in MA is the main reason I left Facebook.I was told not to repost certain people's posts. I had many conversations in private to avoid problems, but that meant that while I could follow everyone, I could not comment to the people in public. It was bad news and I wanted O.U.T.

The other problem on Facebook was people claiming to know someone that I followed, who wanted to follow me and communicate with me. Some claimed to be friends of relatives that I followed. Some claimed to be long lost relatives and I had no idea who they were! Too many strangers and soon my feed was full of gobbeldy-goop!!!

Thank you.

The worst political squabbles in the martial arts tend to be among people of the same or similar styles or systems.

I barely discuss martial arts at all, for many reasons, politics and egos being the biggest. For the most part, I've only been discussing MA in this thread. Otherwise, for the most part, I'm extremely private about the subject.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Face Smash Defendu / WW2 Combatives

W. E. Fairbairn originally adapted the Tiger Claw (Fu Jow) from Chinese martial arts, and it became one of his key striking methods when he developed his legendary combatives method, Defendu. Although Fairbairn had studied Bagua in Shanghai, I'm pretty certain he was also exposed to Southern-style Kung Fu systems to some degree. The Tiger Claw is commonly seen in many Southern Chinese systems, but is not common in Northern systems. Although Bagua specializes in open palm strikes, I don't know if it emphasizes actual Tiger Claw strikes.

There are a variety of ways the Tiger Claw can be used. The overhand strike that Tommy Moore is demonstrating in the video is only one of the commonly-seen Tiger Claw methods in Choy Lee Fut.

Now, whether or not most CLF practitioners actually work on and develop the Tiger Claw is another story. Many don't, because it's not used in sparring or competitive fighting. Or it's not "cool-looking." But the Tiger Claw is there for all to see, in the forms and in the fighting applications. It really is up to the practitioner to take the initiative and develop it. Not only the Tiger Claw strikes themselves, but also the physical attributes that enhance them (hand and finger strengthening, palm conditioning, etc.). I've been working on the Fu Jow/Tiger Claw for many years, because if you can use it, it's a highly practical tool for actual self-defense, where effectiveness is more important than "style points." It's also a valuable tool because it's unconventional, and therefore, unexpected.

https://youtu.be/uzxQSAA5Fqc

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:28 pm
Naperville wrote:

Thank you.

The worst political squabbles in the martial arts tend to be among people of the same or similar styles or systems.

I barely discuss martial arts at all, for many reasons, politics and egos being the biggest. For the most part, I've only been discussing MA in this thread. Otherwise, for the most part, I'm extremely private about the subject.

Jim
I'm the same. I pretty much only discuss MA in this thread or with people here if they seem to need a nudge.

Everyone is a BJJ Master now, and I hate to tell them but I carry a little knife in case anyone tries to pound me or choke me out. A little 2 inch to 4 inch knife stops 100% of the battles. When I did not have a knife, I was jumped on and beat senseless by 4 to 5 people!!! It has happened twice, but once they hear "KNIFE!" they back off every time. Of course you know the one time that I got in trouble for it too...nothing is perfect, but I have all of my teeth and no bones were broken on me. I complain about the law being hard on self defense, but the reality of it is, I won every time a little knife was drawn. I NEVER stuck or slashed at anyone, it's just the fear of perps getting stuck or slashed that backs them off.

When I attended college back in 93 to 95 and the Internet took off, I researched martial arts and knew that soon I'd be old and frail, and I needed to be capable of fighting off up to 4 people....and I wanted to know what art should I study. Weapons are the only way! The ONLY way. A 55 to 80 year old man cannot fight with a 20 something, so I decided to start looking for an escrima/arnis/kali group to study with. OK, I'm not exactly doing escrima/arnis/kali when attacked but you do not have to, it's the awareness of and introduction to edged weapons that make me comfortable with a lil folder/fixie.

I rarely go anywhere now. No cash and I avoid bars and things like that where problems occur. I stay home, and I buy knives when I can that fit a self defense need.

I'm like an old porcupine!

Keep up the conversations! I like them. I read every post and watch every video to learn something new.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:58 am
James Y wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:28 pm
Naperville wrote:

Thank you.

Jim
I'm the same. I pretty much only discuss MA in this thread or with people here if they seem to need a nudge.

Everyone is a BJJ Master now, and I hate to tell them but I carry a little knife in case anyone tries to pound me or choke me out. A little 2 inch to 4 inch knife stops 100% of the battles. When I did not have a knife, I was jumped on and beat senseless by 4 to 5 people!!! It has happened twice, but once they hear "KNIFE!" they back off every time. Of course you know the one time that I got in trouble for it too...nothing is perfect, but I have all of my teeth and no bones were broken on me. I complain about the law being hard on self defense, but the reality of it is, I won every time a little knife was drawn. I NEVER stuck or slashed at anyone, it's just the fear of perps getting stuck or slashed that backs them off.

When I attended college back in 93 to 95 and the Internet took off, I researched martial arts and knew that soon I'd be old and frail, and I needed to be capable of fighting off up to 4 people....and I wanted to know what art should I study. Weapons are the only way! The ONLY way. A 55 to 80 year old man cannot fight with a 20 something, so I decided to start looking for an escrima/arnis/kali group to study with. OK, I'm not exactly doing escrima/arnis/kali when attacked but you do not have to, it's the awareness of and introduction to edged weapons that make me comfortable with a lil folder/fixie.

I rarely go anywhere now. No cash and I avoid bars and things like that where problems occur. I stay home, and I buy knives when I can that fit a self defense need.

I'm like an old porcupine!

Keep up the conversations! I like them. I read every post and watch every video to learn something new.

I was lucky in that early on, I figured out the differences between art, sport, mutual combat ego fights, and self-defense. Many young guys in particular get into mutual combat ego fights, which are distinctly different from SD, but which most people mistakenly believe are one and the same. IMO, legitimate SD is a last-ditch situation, when avoidance, fleeing, etc., are no longer options (if they ever were in the first place). SD is not a contest.

You're right, an older man does not want to get into fights with 20-somethings. However, I've seen or known about many instances where 50 to 80-something year-old men took out much younger men, with and without weapons. One 80+ year old former marine was attacked by a young thug, who shoved the old man's walker against a wall to trap him. The ex-marine gave him a Tiger Claw to his face and eyes, dispatching the young man. The young thug had suffered significant injuries to his eyes. Afterwards, the old man told a reporter about his time in the military many decades ago, "They taught us how to kill." This was an old man who used a walker to get around. There are many other examples of elderly men in better health than he was who have successfully defended themselves against young men.

The older you get, the more ruthless you must become. You don't need to be able to win competitions or UFC matches. Real life isnt a contest. But you can still do considerable damage to much younger men by being sneaky and fighting filthy. Younger or larger men who target those they deem to be old and/or weaker are already fighting dirty. You may not get any younger, stronger or faster, but you can always become sneaker and dirtier and meaner.

That's why I scratch my head at young guys (guys who consider 40 as "old") who say you can only defend yourself if you study MMA and are an active fighter. And that you must train in BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing, and Wrestling to be effective. Even if they have enough hours in a day *and the dedication* to do that, let's see them doing that at 60, 70, or 80 (if they make it to that age). How many 70 year olds will be able to Thai round kick to the legs, or the head? They could probably still elbow, but they won't be fighting like an athlete anymore. How many old men will still be able to do a double leg takedown?

Guys who think that you must be in top athletic condition for self-defense are delusional, and are setting themselves up to fail when they themselves are too old to keep up with the younger guys. They will also probably be too CTE'd-out to even defend themselves against a 'Nurse Ratched' in a care facility.

All martial ARTS require athleticism to excel in them. However, ANY FIGHTING METHOD, TECHNIQUE OR STRATEGY (INCLUDING RUNNING AWAY FROM AN ATTACKER) THAT RELIES ON YOUTH AND ATHLETICISM TO MAKE IT WORK WILL FAIL AS THE BODY AGES.
At some point, you must adapt and evolve as a martial artist. The most practical SD skills, besides simple avoidance, are simple, brutal, and easy to execute regardless of age (unless someone is a basket case, of course). They still require a high degree of training when young (or fairly young), so they are fully ingrained into your nervous system and become permanent, instinctual actions and reactions. And they require a ruthless mindset. Someone could learn the simplest, most practical methods; but if they are squeamish, and lack the commitment and the ruthless mentality to fight with whatever it takes, even the best skill, weapon or strategy in the world will fail.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:11 pm
Guys who think that you must be in top athletic condition for self-defense are delusional, and are setting themselves up to fail when they themselves are too old to keep up with the younger guys. They will also probably be too CTE'd-out to even defend themselves against a 'Nurse Ratched' in a care facility.
Jim
:winking-tongue
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:16 pm
James Y wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:11 pm
Jim
:winking-tongue

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that good health and physical conditioning are not important. I still keep myself in good shape, just not at the level I was at in the past. I used to really be into the athletic aspects...conditioning, sparring, competing, etc. Also, pulling off difficult techniques like flying triple kicks, 540-degree jump spinning hook kicks, jump spinning tornado kicks landing on the same foot you kicked with, etc., etc., just for the satisfaction of being able to do them.

The latter type of stuff is just fun (if you can do them), but they have a use-by date. There comes a time when you either don't feel like doing them anymore, or you simply can't do them anymore; or at least not like you could before. If you get a chronic injury that affects what you do and how you can do it (or not do it), well then, that's that.

Your focus also changes as you mature. LIFE changes. Some things just aren't as important to me as they once were. I no longer feel the need to 'prove' anything to anybody anymore. My focus now in my own practice is almost completely SD-related. I've come full circle, because SD was my original reason for getting into martial arts in the first place. It was always important to me, but somewhere down the line, much of my focus got sidetracked into exploring different arts, and even their artistic aspects, out of pure interest. Which is perfectly fine, if that's someone's focus. I can still respect and appreciate those aspects, too. But those weren't my original focus when I started this journey.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

https://twitter.com/Jazzie654/status/16 ... 1662528513

https://twitter.com/Jazzie654/status/1625965171662528513
James Y

Post by James Y »

"Stop Stabbing Like a Fanny" (a critic on how modern combatives use the knife)

https://youtu.be/5msi68c5Qis

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Last edited by Naperville on Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Escrima / Arnis / Kali Guys

James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:26 pm

Personally, I've never thought of myself as some bad@ss fighter. Martial arts was just a passion of mine; during a long period of time, it was my biggest passion. I've fought, in and out of competitive settings, but I've always felt that someone with a bad@ss reputation has more they have to live up to. Most are wannabes. And many legit street bad@sses have short lifespans. Receipts come around sooner or later.

Many who train in sport MA's, or just watch them on YouTube, overestimate their own abilities to handle a street fight, and underestimate others'. They can be successful, when the other person(s) follows a certain set of unwritten rules. I've shared incidents and videos here where highly-trained fighters (amateur and professional) got either KO'd or killed in street fights by usually untrained guys who used weapons and/or numbers.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:33 pm
Naperville wrote:

Personally, I've never thought of myself as some bad@ss fighter. Martial arts was just a passion of mine; during a long period of time, it was my biggest passion. I've fought, in and out of competitive settings, but I've always felt that someone with a bad@ss reputation has more they have to live up to. Most are wannabes. And many legit street bad@sses have short lifespans. Receipts come around sooner or later.

Many who train in sport MA's, or just watch them on YouTube, overestimate their own abilities to handle a street fight, and underestimate others'. They can be successful, when the other person(s) follows a certain set of unwritten rules. I've shared incidents and videos here where highly-trained fighters (amateur and professional) got either KO'd or killed in street fights by usually untrained guys who used weapons and/or numbers.

Jim
I think you're well trained based on what you have said. I don't know any bad hombres myself.

I'm not a tough guy on the Internet or in real life but I've analyzed all the altercations that I've been in and know that I could have done better. I think that the first step in doing better.

I was pretty jacked in 1986 when I fought 3 lineman on a college team, and I did not exactly win the fight even though I knocked out the first guy who struck me. I stood there and watched the guy hit the ground. I did not expect the other two lineman to immediately attack me, but they did and they totally surprised me. Had I thrown the knockout punch and attacked the two other guys, I may have won the fight decisively...that is what learning hand-to-hand combatives is all about. There is a learning curve to everything in combatives and you don't learn it by watching videos, you do have to have a few fights under your belt.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:15 pm
James Y wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:33 pm
Naperville wrote:

Jim
I think you're well trained based on what you have said. I don't know any bad hombres myself.

I'm not a tough guy on the Internet or in real life but I've analyzed all the altercations that I've been in and know that I could have done better. I think that the first step in doing better.

I was pretty jacked in 1986 when I fought 3 lineman on a college team, and I did not exactly win the fight even though I knocked out the first guy who struck me. I stood there and watched the guy hit the ground. I did not expect the other two lineman to immediately attack me, but they did and they totally surprised me. Had I thrown the knockout punch and attacked the two other guys, I may have won the fight decisively...that is what learning hand-to-hand combatives is all about. There is a learning curve to everything in combatives and you don't learn it by watching videos, you do have to have a few fights under your belt.

Thanks for sharing. I remember your story vs the 3 guys.

I agree that you can't learn to fight just by watching videos. Some degree of experience is necessary. Or lacking that, learning from someone who had experience. You get a more realistic sense of what is, or can actually be, workable in real life.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Jailhouse Weapons and Ingenuity

https://youtu.be/tIQ4dYqbad4

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Turn a Sheet of Paper Into a Shank

This man's method of making a paper knife/shank, and his way of using it, is a little different from Tommy Moore's. But they're both pretty simple to make.

This concept wasn't just invented. Like I mentioned in the other post about making a paper knife, the first one I saw was from one of my Mantis-style teachers overseas. That was well over 30 years ago. I'm sure the idea has been around since there's been paper.

Personally, if I had to rely on a paper shank, I'd use it in a hammer fist to the eye, maybe the throat/neck. I would NOT target the temple, or the torso. With such a weapon, it would have to be pre-made and ready as a shank long before it's needed. You'd have 1 or 2, maybe up to 3 good shots, depending on where it lands, before it starts losing its tip. Depending on how solid it is, it might still work to the eye, even after it's tip is bent or flattened.

https://youtu.be/gmx_V-L81q0

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:39 pm
LIVE: Kickboxing fights

https://abema.tv/now-on-air/fighting-sports?lang=en

Thanks, Naperville!

Jim