Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

Post by James Y »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:37 pm
James, you've lived quite the martial arts life and life in general getting to train abroad. I would totally credit Gene for mma in America though.

Also speaking of Mixed Martial Arts. I know it's just a movie but Ip Man would often fight without an audience. I think it was more than to be respectful of the other master's pride but also I would think a lot of styles wanted to keep their techniques. Once you see something someone can figure out how you did it. The more they see a move done the easier it will be to discern how. Of course we have a huge advantage being able to record everything now.

Thank you, VashHash. Though life has been very quiet for the past several years.

As for keeping techniques hidden; yes, that was indeed a thing. Especially in Chinese systems, but probably other categories of martial arts as well. Even when only demonstrating forms, either in public, or in private gatherings, such as at birthday celebrations for certain respected masters held in large, rented-out Chinese restaurants, where many different masters and their students gather to pay their respects, and often give demonstrations after the dinner. My Choy Lee Fut sifu always altered or omitted certain details in forms, and usually had us do the same. I know other teachers who follow this practice as well, including my friend who is a LEO and was a former bodyguard that I mentioned a few posts back. This practice was known as “marking” the form. Because often, people would film (or later, videotape) Kung Fu demonstrations, then try to “steal” the form by learning it from the film. Then some would claim they learned the same system, or even taught that form to the teacher or practitioner whose demo they filmed(!!). But if the form has been “marked,” that person can be identified as a fraud, and depending on how it was marked, where and when they “stole” it can also be identified. But this practice was more to identify “forms thieves” by giving them a purposely-altered (and incorrect) form, than to avoid being figured out (in terms of fighting skills).

That said, many high-level practitioners’ favorite fighting techniques and strategies were, in reality, quite simple. And they were often so good at them (the setup and the execution) that even if you knew what they were going to do, they could still get you with it (if they were practitioners who had actual fighting experience).

For one example, my second northern-style Mantis teacher in Taiwan also trained a southern style called Hung Gar (as well as other systems). His Hung Gar sifu, surnamed Zhang, was, at the time, in his mid-to-late 40s, and still sparred all comers. His hand skills were powerful, but he was especially known for his “Wu Ying Jiao” (In Cantonese, “Mo Ying Geuk,” or “No-Shadow Kick”). It’s a colorful expression, meaning "a kick so fast that it leaves no shadow.” Nothing fancy; just simple, basic kicks, but machined to perfection. He could control his right leg like a third arm. Everyone knew what was coming, but Zhang was so fast and sudden with his kick that you still couldn’t avoid it. I sparred Zhang several times (the matches never lasted very long), and he nailed me in the abdomen or my leg at will, with zero telegraphing. And his kicks hurt, too; they weren’t just weak little leg flicks. His raw speed and explosiveness were reminiscent of Bruce Lee at his fastest, but I couldn’t imagine being kicked by him in his prime. I once saw old videotaped footage of him from the late 1970s, taken just several years earlier, when he had been even faster. And he moved so fast it looked like under-cranking (fast-motion photography). Many, many martial artists over the years had fallen victim to Zhang’s “No-Shadow Kick,” in regular sparring, in challenge matches, and in real fights, including ‘70s-era martial arts film star John Liu (who was also famous for his kicks), who starred in many films in Taiwan, including as the lead protagonist in The Invincible Armour, which I posted on page 30 of the “Favorite Movie Fight Scenes” thread.

Jim
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I know a man in his late 60s or early 70s who hands are still insanely fast. Even if he told you it was coming there probably isn't much you could do. It reminds me of crouching tiger hidden dragon. The old lady could learn from the pictures but the younger girl knew how to read and learned a lot more. Subtle movements make big differences in techniques but seeing something a few times can give you an idea. If you have someone to work with you can eventually discern what you need to do to make it work. Of course it would take time but this person did the work for you. You just have to fine tune it. Some people are just more proficient or focus on certain techniques to mastery. Regardless of what "style" they practice most people have things they prefer to do or do better than others.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Thanks for sharing!

I have also seen or known some older men who are still extremely fast. Or perhaps extremely quick is a more apt description. IMO, much has to do with their real-life experiences. Whether it’s ex-boxers, ex-street fighters, etc.

In terms of martial artists, it also has a lot to do with the foundation built early on. Solid basic skills, developed and adapted to the point of becoming one’s own natural movements, and the training, conditioning, and experience to back them up. They act or react with extreme quickness and perfect timing; without hesitation or wasted motion, and with full confidence. This type of quickness of action can often overcome a younger man’s pure athletic speed in a sudden encounter. Speed-wise, they won’t be able to outrun a young man, but their decisiveness of action can make the difference. Quick older men are also very deceptive; virtually everyone expects older men to act or react slowly.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

A few videos by Master Wong.

I discovered ‘Master Wong’ on YouTube several years ago. He has good stuff, and he can be entertaining as heck while dropping some real truths. He’s never boring, that’s for sure! :)

Note: The second video contains some strong language.

https://youtu.be/8t31AGdhr74

https://youtu.be/l0PDp-ATvJU

https://youtu.be/fAW0XN3U_1s

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

If I can get in good enough shape and pay down my bills, I'd like to try Kick Boxing for a year. But, I'd settle for a Kick Boxing workout on a bag in the basement every day. The reason why I would join a school offering Kick Boxing would be to see what the workout routines are and how to defend myself in the style of Kick Boxing.

In the mean time I'm going to look for DVDs that I can buy on Kick Boxing / Muay Thai.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:26 pm
If I can get in good enough shape and pay down my bills, I'd like to try Kick Boxing for a year. But, I'd settle for a Kick Boxing workout on a bag in the basement every day. The reason why I would join a school offering Kick Boxing would be to see what the workout routines are and how to defend myself in the style of Kick Boxing.

In the mean time I'm going to look for DVDs that I can buy on Kick Boxing / Muay Thai.

That sounds like an excellent plan.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Taipei, Taiwan, 1990.

A pic of me with my Sifu Peng Han-Ping’s Hung Gar Kung Fu teacher, Zhang Kezhi. This was the same Zhang I mentioned a few posts back with possibly the fastest kicks I’d ever seen (or felt). Although I never studied the Hung Gar system from my Sifu Peng, Master Zhang was still one of my “grand teachers,” because my teacher was a student of his.

This was a posed photo of him kicking me, which gives no indication of how fast Zhang really was. He is posing here in a posture from his other style, Zui Ba Xian Quan, or “Drunken Eight Immortals Fist,” (known in the West as simply “Drunken Style”), which he was well-known for. Personally, I never cared for the Drunken Style, and never practiced it, although my Mantis Sifu Peng was the best at it out of all of Zhang’s students who had learned it. Zui Ba Xian Quan does require a lot of physical stamina and toughness, as it incorporated falls, which were often done on hard-packed dirt or concrete.

Sifu Peng once told me that doing the entire Drunken form from beginning to end could take over 15 minutes, as each section of the form was devoted to each separate “immortal.” The “immortals” were mythical heroes, considered especially important in Taoism. The last part of the form was the eighth immortal, He Xiangu, the only female of the Eight Immortals. I always found watching that part of the form to be a bit cringe-worthy, as the practitioner adopts an effeminate demeanor and movements to mimic He Xiangu, sometimes referred to as “Lady He” (or Lady Ho). The Drunken style was depicted in Jackie Chan’s Drunken Master (1978), and in the final fight, Jackie’s character's strategy falls apart when he needs to use the He Xiangu skills, because he never bothered practicing them.

I didn’t consider Drunken Style as a fighting method, but I saw it as more of a method of developing attributes, such as internal and external strength, stamina, balance and control while performing unconventional movements, agility, body toughening/hardening, etc.

Master Zhang never leaned back like that when he really kicked you. In sparring, his body remained upright, with little or no lean-away, and no telegraphing. His leg usually initiated the movement, and moved almost independently from his body, then his body would slide in.

Master Zhang had a reputation. Many martial artists in Taiwan were afraid to spar Zhang. I didn’t care, because I wasn’t afraid of losing face. I just wanted to figure him out. After awhile, I eventually picked up on his movement cues, and mostly figured him out. Then he became somewhat predictable. But his kicks still got me from time to time, because perceiving something doesn't always mean you can stop it or avoid it.

Jim
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I always appreciated the unconventional movements of drunken style. I liked the unconventional movements of capoeira too. I could definitely see those movements causing one to develop excellent body control, core strength, and balance. All very important for martial arts practitioners. I also think Jackie Chan did a great job of bringing drunken style to light. Even showing some of the training techniques as well. His movies definitely brought it to my attention. I also like watching old wushu exhibitions. I guess you could call them tournaments but mostly it's for form as opposed to fight tournaments.
James Y

Post by James Y »

VashHash wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:01 am
I always appreciated the unconventional movements of drunken style. I liked the unconventional movements of capoeira too. I could definitely see those movements causing one to develop excellent body control, core strength, and balance. All very important for martial arts practitioners. I also think Jackie Chan did a great job of bringing drunken style to light. Even showing some of the training techniques as well. His movies definitely brought it to my attention. I also like watching old wushu exhibitions. I guess you could call them tournaments but mostly it's for form as opposed to fight tournaments.

Interestingly, Drunken style isn’t actually a system unto itself. There are styles that contain drunken forms, like Tanglang (Northern Mantis), Choy Lee Fut, etc., though not every lineage of those styles includes a drunken form.

I’m assuming the Eight Immortals drunken form my Sifu Peng learned from Master Zhang was connected to Zhang’s Hung Gar system. Zhang’s Taiwanese Hung Gar lineage differed from the more commonly-seen Hung Gar lineages that came out of Hong Kong. So it may have included his Drunken style form.

Here is a VERY brief clip of my late Sifu Peng Han-Ping performing only a tiny part of the Ziu Ba Xian (Drunken Eight Immortals) form. Only a few seconds, really. The narrator mistakenly refers to it as the “Drunken Monkey” form. It is NOT “Drunken Monkey.” Zui Ba Xian Quan is an older, more complex Drunken form that predated the flashier and more exaggerated modern Wushu performance versions. Sifu Peng almost never publicly demonstrated his Mantis style, which he specialized in and considered more practical for actual fighting, because Mantis isn’t as showy or “interesting” to watch as Drunken style. This demo was shot at the Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall.

https://youtu.be/PHNBFwn_JAQ

Here is a partial clip of Master Zhang performing a Hung Gar form, probably shot in the very early ‘80s. Many of the Hung Gar sets are performed with dynamic tension and are slower-paced than the sets of many other styles. This clip gives NO indication of how fast Zhang moved during sparring. I’d seen some other video footage of him while I was in Taiwan, and in some of those his speed was unreal.

I remember a 6' 2" guy from France who was a Kyokushin Karate black belt, and had competed in full-contact Kyokushin tournaments in Europe and Japan, said the following after sparring Zhang: "I've fought guys all over the world, in Europe and Japan, and compared to Zhang's speed, nobody even comes close."

https://youtu.be/48zdIRHmiI0

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Not martial arts-related, but I thought I’d post this here:

https://youtu.be/gXZiLQjtdHw

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Dan Inosanto Talks About Bruce Lee (video below).

I stated in an earlier post that I am not a Bruce Lee fanboy, which is true. I do not worship him as a demigod. However, I have been a Bruce Lee FAN since my mid-teens. Bruce Lee had NOT inspired me to take up martial arts at age 10; I never even saw a Bruce Lee movie until 1979, six years after his death, when I was 16. I saw him on TV in The Green Hornet when I was 3 or 4 years old, but that left no impression on me.

A lot of what I read about Bruce Lee was stuff mentioned about him by Dan Inosanto, in the martial arts magazines, and in a book Inosanto wrote about Jeet Kune Do. I’ve always admired Bruce Lee the man and martial artist much more than I ever cared about Bruce Lee the movie actor. Critics of Bruce Lee, like Quentin Tarantino, Chael Sonnen, and a million keyboard warriors, who only “know” Bruce Lee as a movie actor, and get their information about him 3rd, 4th, or 5th-hand (and they cherry pick and distort it to suit their own agendas), only “know” Bruce Lee as a caricature, and not as a man.

IMO, there is no one more qualified to discuss Bruce Lee and his martial arts than Dan Inosanto, and possibly the late Taky Kimura (who passed away not too long ago). I think this interview was shot about 20 years ago. If Dan Inosanto, one of the finest, and most honest and humble martial artists in the world has big respect for Bruce Lee, people should listen.

In the video below, Dan Inosanto gives the BEST discussion of Bruce Lee, the martial artist, that I have ever heard.

https://youtu.be/-vCpCxBQVpk

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’d almost forgotten about James DeMile, one of Bruce Lee’s earliest students. Great insights.

https://youtu.be/itaRaDuuc54

https://youtu.be/_Yf-Cpvvucs

Jim
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

James, I know how deep this gets but if you were to begin over all those decades ago what would you change in your selected styles knowing what you do now? I'd guess not much at all different but you?

Joe
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:59 pm
James, I know how deep this gets but if you were to begin over all those decades ago what would you change in your selected styles knowing what you do now? I'd guess not much at all different but you?

Joe

Joe,

I don’t know if I’d really change anything. I had trained in Judo, Kenpo Karate, Shito-ryu Karate, kickboxing, Tae Kwon Do, Lung Ying (Dragon), Tanglang (Mantis), Chang Quan (Long Fist), Choy Lee Fut, and lastly, a year of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

I tried Taiji (Tai Chi) a couple times, but it never resonated with me.

IMO, Judo was the best art for me to have started with. The teacher was Sensei Tsuji. Judo toughened my body and mind, and gave me a basic background in throwing and grappling.

Of the arts I studied, I would probably exchange the Tae Kwon Do for Filipino Kali. I hadn’t needed the TKD. I already excelled at kicking from my Karate training, and IMO, TKD was more limited than Karate (little to no hands in TKD), especially Kenpo. The TKD was mostly play for me.

I lucked out with my Kenpo teacher. He also had experience from boxing (in the military), wrestling, kickboxing, Filipino martial arts, Tai Chi, AikiJujitsu, and some Kung Fu. His emphasis was on realistic fighting. I never liked the standardized Kenpo “self-defense techniques” in the curriculum, but I liked the way we trained for sparring and fighting. It was my Kenpo teacher, Sensei Linekin, who inspired us to keep an open mind to other martial arts. Sensei Linekin’s teacher was Sensei Brian Adams, who had learned directly from Ed Parker, and had also trained with Bruce Lee and Dan Inosanto. Thus the emphasis on a varied background, with an emphasis on practicality.

The experiences I had learning Northern Mantis in Taiwan was invaluable. My second Mantis teacher in particular, Sifu Peng, really showed me how to analyze what I was doing, and how to use ‘sticking’ and ‘trapping’ skills, and how to generate power in the most efficient ways.

And my Choy Lee Fut Sifu Primicias was the teacher I spent the longest uninterrupted time directly training under, at 11 years.

I’m not really a ‘style collector,’. I’ve kept useable skills that have proven effective for me from the various arts throughout the years; the essence of what I gleaned from them. But I stopped training the styles themselves after I moved on from them, except for the Choy Lee Fut, which I still practice. And even that, I’ve eliminated lots of material from my own practice. I’ve been working to personalize things to work more efficiently for myself. So at this point I would never teach others again, because what I do now may or may not be suitable for other people.

Actually trying to practice and keep up multiple martial arts systems is like always being in debt. Unless you’re a full-time professional martial artist, and that’s all you do all day every day, it’s impossible to practice so many different methods and do them all well, while maintaining quality over quantity.

I wouldn’t have reached the point I’m at now without the journey I took. Far more important than the ‘styles’ or systems were the people I learned from and trained with, and the experiences I had while training each system.

Jim
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Thanks Jim. I figured you wouldn't change things much. In my life, in particular in the prison system the ju jitsu was the most useful. They began teaching us Akido which I found useless at beginners levels but great when well trained. The unfortunate thing was the state provided no where near enough training at it. It was more an attempt at a CYA for the state as they found it inopportune to have employees beating inmates senseless to force compliance. :o I understand what they were thinking but I also will say it was problematic to old timers like me . :) All the teaching of new officers certainly helped me on the road to having eventual surgeries in both shoulders . At 5'10' and around 200 lbs I really needed that chokehold when dealing with the occasional monsters . There were guys that batons and pepper spray just didn't work on and trying for an armbar on them could go very bad quickly. I also took Kenpo and had the same teacher for ju jitsu. Having both really helped me a lot. In the army much of the unarmed system they taught us was very familiar to me and ju jitsu and judo based. That was back in the day when chokes and strangles were not only taught but were supposed to be used as a first in the ladder of force for MP's to use right after verbal commands and before the baton. :D
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:53 am
Thanks Jim. I figured you wouldn't change things much. In my life, in particular in the prison system the ju jitsu was the most useful. They began teaching us Akido which I found useless at beginners levels but great when well trained. The unfortunate thing was the state provided no where near enough training at it. It was more an attempt at a CYA for the state as they found it inopportune to have employees beating inmates senseless to force compliance. :o I understand what they were thinking but I also will say it was problematic to old timers like me . :) All the teaching of new officers certainly helped me on the road to having eventual surgeries in both shoulders . At 5'10' and around 200 lbs I really needed that chokehold when dealing with the occasional monsters . There were guys that batons and pepper spray just didn't work on and trying for an armbar on them could go very bad quickly. I also took Kenpo and had the same teacher for ju jitsu. Having both really helped me a lot. In the army much of the unarmed system they taught us was very familiar to me and ju jitsu and judo based. That was back in the day when chokes and strangles were not only taught but were supposed to be used as a first in the ladder of force for MP's to use right after verbal commands and before the baton. :D

Thank you for sharing, Joe. I would imagine that in that work environment, Judo/Jujutsu would be the most practical for the empty-hand stuff. It seems that more emphasis has been put into protecting criminals (both in and out of the prison system) than in protecting officers and civilians. Which really sucks. There are so many limits and “can and can’t-dos” that tie law-abiding people’s hands in the legal system; whereas criminals have no such constraints placed upon their actions, until after the fact. This places law-abiding citizens at an even greater disadvantage physically, psychologically, and legally from the start. Maybe I’m wrong on that, but that’s how it seems to me.

Aikido has never appealed to me. Back in the late ‘70s, I knew an expert in both Kenjutsu (sword art) and Aikido who ran a martial arts supply shop with a large dojo in the back. I believed he could have been effective with it, and I’m not saying it isn’t good, but Aikido never appealed to me personally. Now, the system that Aikido was developed from, Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu, or simply Daito-ryu Jujutsu, was very combat-oriented. Look up the exploits of Takeda Sokaku, the man who taught Aikido founder Morihei Ueshiba. Takeda was physically small, but he was a stone-cold killer. I’ve read up on him over the years, and he was a fascinating (but scary) individual.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

This short clip shows my Choy Lee Fut teacher, Sifu Frank Primicias, demonstrating one of our forms. IIRC, the film in its entirety showed demonstrations given by many masters. It was filmed somewhere here in CA, sometime in the late 1960s or the beginning of the ‘70s. This form comes from our main lineage, which is extremely rare among Choy Lee Fut lineages, and very few Choy Lee Fut practitioners are even aware of this set. Sifu Primicias actually “marked” the set (a practice of purposely altering a form when demonstrating in public, which I mentioned several posts back); he also cut out several moves towards the end. This wasn’t a flub; it was done on purpose.

https://youtu.be/23unEaDhZ1A

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Julian Jackson was probably boxing’s most powerful puncher, pound-for-pound. I remember seeing some of his fights many years ago. At his peak, he was my favorite boxer to watch. His KO punches had both scary power and pinpoint accuracy.

https://youtu.be/TEc1ZIt2C7I

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Palm heel hook.

Bas Rutten is the fighter most well-known for using the palm heel hook. He also demonstrates what he calls the “clothesline.” He refers to both strikes as bone strikes.

Although I am almost 100% certain that Bas Rutten has never even heard of Choy Lee Fut style, those two blows are virtually identical to CLF’s sau jeung (sweeping palm, which also strikes with the palm heel), and sau choi (sweeping punch, which also often strikes with the forearm). Anyway, Bas Rutten was and is a beast, and is one of the very last men I’d ever want to have to face in a fight.

https://youtu.be/Gm0SyEqc7ns

Below is another interpretation of the palm heel hook. This instructor does underestimate slaps using the whole flat of the palm. He is incorrect when he says a slap is not a strike. You can also KO someone with a whole-palm slap, if you generate body torque and strike the opponent in the jaw. The same basic delivery as the palm heel hook; the only difference is the main contact surface.

The palm heel hook is one of my most-drilled strikes. In my own practice, I have found that it helps to keep the bent elbow at a slight diagonal angle, as opposed to straight down. I’ve found this creates greater stability and power in the strike, and eliminates stresses on the shoulder and the elbow on contact.

https://youtu.be/MeRhenjrMFQ

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

https://youtu.be/Kb-Mao9UkZo

Jim