Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

Post by James Y »

Blindfold Bottle Cap Challenge, by Chintya Candranaya

Remember that bottle cap challenge thing from a couple years back? This was the best one, IMO. At first I had some doubts about the bottle not being glued to the table, but later in the vid they show that it’s not glued down. Even if it was, I highly doubt I could have unscrewed a bottle cap with a spinning hook kick, and I had a good one (but then again, I never tried it; maybe it’s easier than it looks?).

I posted some vids of hers earlier in this thread, where she demonstrated her “iron” shinbones. Chintya is not without her critics. There are some out there who say she’s a fraud. I don’t know. Some of her vids show some hokey stuff, IMO. But what I DO know is that she has real physical talents. She does possess real coordination, physical conditioning, and body control (far above that of your run-of-the-mill black belts) that cannot be faked. I would love to see her critics show better. Not everyone who practices and demonstrates martial arts has to fight in a cage to be a legitimate martial artist. In the very least, I find her videos entertaining.

https://youtu.be/7BWuIZ69aG0

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

How To Protect Your Head For The Street

https://youtu.be/qCIFT74sWEc

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Technical Analysis: The Eye Jab (first video)

I saw the full version of the first video many years ago. IIRC, the American Special Forces guy who was an instructor of a style called ‘Kung Fu San Soo,’ teaching Peruvian Soecial Forces. The guy who gives this ‘fight analysis’ (or ‘over-analysis’) mistakenly says in his video description that it was in the Philippines. Nope, it was in Peru. Also IIRC, the guy who got eye poked was doubting and wanting to test the teacher’s ability. As you can see, it ended quickly.

There are some really, really dumb people posting comments. When one person said it was not a finger jab but was a Tiger Claw, another person said (I’m paraphrasing), “What? R U Kidding? Nobody uses a Tiger Claw!”

Actually, it WAS more of a Tiger Claw. But first off, WHO CARES if it’s called a finger jab, a Tiger Claw, a chicken’s butt, or whatever the **** anyone wants to call it? The fact is, he poked the other guy’s eye(s) and immediately ended it. And just because something has a certain name attached to it does not make it any more or less effective. There are people who think that because a term is heard in Kung Fu movies (such as Tiger Claw) that it cannot be based on something that’s real. Guess what? British and American World War II military H2H combatives also used the term “Tiger’s Claw” for the same technique.

There are also people (especially MMA practitioners, or MMA fans/hangers-on) who make fun of eye pokes as “fake martial arts,” or “techniques that don’t work,” or “techniques that don’t develop proper fighting skills.” Whatever that means. If you’re ever in a situation where your life depends on it, you’d better be willing and able to do anything to raise your odds of survival, and not be worrying about “fight IQ” and “ring generalship” that only applies to sport fighting. Of course people can’t practice eye pokes in sparring. But ask anyone who’s really been poked in the eye how it felt.

The worst pain I ever felt was back in the early ‘80s, when a sparring opponent thumbed me in the eye. We were wearing those cheap, foam-dipped “Saf-T Punch” tournament Karate sparring gloves, that had the tips of the thumbs exposed. I couldn’t open my eye for several minutes; and when I felt my closed eyelid, at first I could not feel my eyeball behind it, meaning it had been temporarily flattened, or somehow pushed further back in . Miraculously, I didn’t suffer any retinal damage. While it lasted, the pain was worse than the time I was playing tennis and got hit directly in the nuts with a speeding tennis ball, wearing only athletic shorts and a jockstrap for “protection.” Or any of the times I was hit or kicked in the groin during sparring (with a cup on, but stilll…).

There is a reason why eye pokes are illegal in all combat sports, including MMA, and it’s not because they don’t work. Personally, eye pokes are NOT my main focus in self-defense training, but I include them in my “toolbox.”

https://youtu.be/lmKeVk9-Ub4

This second video shows examples of eye pokes that occurred in the sport of MMA (although illegally) that definitely had an dramatic effect on the recipients. It appears to me that in some of the cases, the eye pokes were done intentionally.

“Old School Eye Gouges: Why They Work”

https://youtu.be/6JK2Jm6-gwY

Jim
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Very hard to fight when you can't see.
James Y

Post by James Y »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:52 pm
Very hard to fight when you can't see.

Very true.

Also take into account the sensitivity of the eyes. Even an eyelash or a tiny hair clipping getting into your eye can be very irritating. Now imagine a thumb or a finger going into it. It doesn’t take any power for an eye shot to stop someone in their tracks.

I actually think the Tiger Claw and its variations are better than a straight-fingered eye jab, because with a claw hand the fingers are hooked; less chances of breaking a finger if it misses and hits skull. The Tiger Claw also serves double duty as a palm-heel strike.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Andy Hug

The late Swiss Karate fighter and kickboxer Andy Hug was another of my favorite fighters. Even more than his amazing skills in the ring, his attitude and his sportsmanship distinguished him from many fighters. The fighters in any combat sport that I personally liked the most are those who had their own unique styles that set them apart from all the other orthodox fighters in their sports. Andy Hug was a legend, and he was highly revered, especially in Japan.

Andy Hug: The Legend of Karate and Kickboxing

https://youtu.be/jp8RFwM9My0

Andy Hug: Top 20 Brutal Knockouts

https://youtu.be/iINbVPfaM3Q

Jim
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

https://youtu.be/K1AeyouLT4U

From the previously mentioned Kevin Secours, who I really enjoy videos from. A few NSFW words
James Y

Post by James Y »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:09 am
https://youtu.be/K1AeyouLT4U

From the previously mentioned Kevin Secours, who I really enjoy videos from. A few NSFW words

Thank you for posting that! Good stuff. Action is quicker than reaction.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Geoff Thompson on Hitting First

Geoff Thompson knows what he’s talking about. He emerged victorious in literally hundreds of real fights while working as a doorman (bouncer) in the most dangerous clubs in Coventry, England in the 1980s to the early ‘90s.

https://youtu.be/9vPopI-5mbQ

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Real-Life ‘Ninja’ Moves’ in Combat Sports

The definition of ‘ninja’ in the West is anything fancy, uber-athletic/acrobatic (as in ‘American Ninja Warrior’), or over-the-top; something that is the exact opposite of what a true, historical shinobi (AKA ninja), who were spies and assassins, would have been.

IMO, the only super-dramatic, movie-like move in this video is at 2:20, where the guy backflips off the cage and goes into a flying side kick. Everything else is skills pulled off extremely well, but which are commonly seen practiced in many martial arts (spinning elbow, knees and jumping knees to the head, axe kick, spinning heel kicks, jump spinning back kick, tornado kicks, jumping/“Superman” punch, etc). These moves do require a high level of skill AND a solid foundation in the basics, plus full commitment, to pull off effectively in competition, but they are not ‘ninja’ moves by any definition.

https://youtu.be/A88PHZhICi0

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Not martial arts-related at all, but I finally got around to reading a great book that I purchased earlier this year, Safety Doesn’t Have To Be Scary: Simple steps to avoid violent crime, attacks & conflict, by Marc MacYoung. The fact is, if you have to resort to violence in SD, then all else has already failed. The need for physical conflict should be the very last option. IMO, this is the BEST book available on the subject of avoiding crime and conflict; I consider it better than the famous book, The Gift of Fear.

https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Doesnt-Ha ... 120&sr=1-1

The information in this book is essential for everybody, including (and sometimes especially) practitioners of martial arts and combat sports, who sometimes have a tendency to willingly walk into or invite trouble, because “I think I can take him/them.”

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

How To Knock Them Out With A Slap!

By Michiel Mulder, of Urban Combatives Netherlands. Based on the teachings of Lee Morrison. Two of the best guys on the subject of urban combatives, IMO.

Also featuring the straight palm-heel thrust.

https://youtu.be/lKNsTlkU0co

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

6 Stupid Things A Martial Artist Shouldn’t Do

This is all spot on.

I discovered early on that the awkwardness and unpredictability of untrained people and martial arts beginners can make them a challenge. I first realized it as a beginner myself, in my first stand-up martial art, Kenpo. I often nailed more experienced students with my spastic reactions, sometimes accidentally, because I was used to throwing and grappling situations in Judo, but not punching/striking, or being punched at. Then as I got better and more experienced, I found that some beginners (or people who were just naturally awkward) were often more dangerous than the smoothly-skilled technicians. I even read a quote from Bruce Lee, which said that sometimes an awkward or untrained person is the most difficult opponent. Because they have little to no control, and no specific pre-planned patterns or reactions; they simply act/react. That is why an ancient Japanese master swordsman (I forget which one) once said that (and I’m paraphrasing) when one reaches mastery, he must once again achieve beginner’s mind.

Of course, if the person attacking you is a street criminal, especially a hardened one, he/she most likely has plenty of experience in violence. Many hardened career criminals have even secretly practiced fighting or ambushing methods while in prison, making them even more dangerous and unpredictable. So the rule to follow is, Never Underestimate Anyone, and never try to act the bad@$$.

https://youtu.be/9q8oFshuOQI

Jim
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

On James Y advice, I come in this thread to share the work of a guy I really appreciate : Lars Andersen.
He is an exceptional archer, in a style that is more close to what I liked to learn back in my adolescence.
Life has made so that it has been put on a bit of a pause, but being named Robin instantly gave my interest in archery !

Lars andersen is known to have helped to train the actor Taron Egerton for the role of Robin in the last Robin Hood movie (2018).
This guy takes what is left in the history books about archery and tries to recreate the prowesses that were related.
From the ancient arabic style to the comanche way and more, this guy can do amazing things. Trick shots too, but I just see this as proving his skills, there's not much point in most of the trick shots videos he does, it's just fun.

Original video from the other thread, first one I saw that got me interested :

And a few of the best ones IMHO :

And there's way more on his channel if you are interested...
Hope this will be cool for at least one person !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:29 am
On James Y advice, I come in this thread to share the work of a guy I really appreciate : Lars Andersen.
He is an exceptional archer, in a style that is more close to what I liked to learn back in my adolescence.
Life has made so that it has been put on a bit of a pause, but being named Robin instantly gave my interest in archery !

Lars andersen is known to have helped to train the actor Taron Egerton for the role of Robin in the last Robin Hood movie (2018).
This guy takes what is left in the history books about archery and tries to recreate the prowesses that were related.
From the ancient arabic style to the comanche way and more, this guy can do amazing things. Trick shots too, but I just see this as proving his skills, there's not much point in most of the trick shots videos he does, it's just fun.

Original video from the other thread, first one I saw that got me interested :

And a few of the best ones IMHO :

And there's way more on his channel if you are interested...
Hope this will be cool for at least one person !

Thank you for posting these, Ramonade! I'm sure that MANY people will be deeply impressed!

I remember seeing videos of Lars Andersen that someone had shared on a different forum many years ago. I was in awe. Shockingly, I had forgotten about him for years. Shocking, because Lars Andersen's skills as an archer are transcendent.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wing Chun Master Tu Tengyao

Two videos below.

Tu Tengyao is a Wing Chun instructor in Chongqing, in Southwestern China.

According to his description, “he is a descendant of Ye Wen, the founder of Wing Chun.” For anyone who isn’t aware, ‘Ye Wen’ is the Mandarin pronunciation of the name Ip Man (which is the Cantonese pronunciation; also spelled Yip Man), who was Bruce Lee’s Wing Chun teacher in Hong Kong. I don’t know if Tu Tengyao is actually descended from or even a blood relative of Ip Man, or if he’s related through the Wing Chun lineage. But Tu Tengyao’s Wing Chun differs greatly from Ip Man’s. There are different Wing Chun styles in China, which look much different from the method Ip Man taught in Hong Kong, which is mostly what the world is familiar with as Wing Chun. From the way he moves, Tu Tengyao’s method almost looks like he has incorporated some Bajiquan and other things into it.

Anyway, Ye Wen (Ip Man) was most definitely NOT the founder of Wing Chun! Maybe Tu Tengyao is exploiting a connection (real or not) to Ip Man due to the fame and popularity of the Ip Man movies starring Donnie Yen. Believe it or not, prior to those movies, many people in China, especially outside of southern China, had never even heard of either Wing Chun or Ip Man/Ye Wen.

Tu Tengyao has excellent movement, BUT he looks to me like he must have been a Kung Fu movie actor, at least at some point. He has a flair for the melodramatic. In the videos below, the fighting applications are choreographed fight scenes for dramatic effect, with the camera sped up to make him look faster and more powerful. Of course, his speed and power are highly exaggerated. There are even some Kung Fu movie sound effects added. Also, his mannerisms/acting style, and his awareness of camera angles, betray the fact that he is very experienced in performing to dramatic effect on camera, and the cinematography is clearly done by someone from the film industry. Your typical martial arts expert/teacher (or even champion fighter) cannot look impressive on camera in choreographed fight scenes without the proper direction, choreography, performing experience, rhythm, timing, and stunt extras to take/react to their blows. In fact, the choreography in his little promotional clips are better-staged and performed than the majority of the Kung Fu movies coming out of Mainland China in the past 20+ years, which tend to be overly floaty, with overused slow-motion and wire work, making the fighters look about as powerful as plastic produce bags floating in the breeze. Tu’s clips are more reminiscent of early 1980s Hong Kong Kung Fu film choreography. I could have easily posted this in my Favorite Movie Fight Scenes thread, but it belongs here more.

Is Tu Tengyao the real deal, or just a movie-style showman? I don’t know. He is head of the Chongqing Wing Chun Association, so I’m sure he has real skill and can “really go” if he has to. As always, Never Underestimate Anyone. Perhaps he is merely combining business savvy with some showbiz to attract more attention to his school/association online. I highly doubt that he actually teaches his classes that way. I enjoy a good old-school Kung Fu movie, but if I ever saw someone teaching classes using those Kung Fu movie mannerisms and archaic speech patterns, I’d probably start laughing.

https://youtu.be/b5lMkyzZ7MU

https://youtu.be/0CsI22luE54

Jim
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

James Y wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:31 pm
Never Underestimate Anyone.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

In 2002 I took up 3 Filipino edged weapons (knife and machete) arts at once, and I studied 7 days per week. I lived in a van in Stockton, California to do this.

One of the guros had studied Japanese, and Filipino martial arts and he had dozens of different weapons all over his home. I thought that was pretty neat and in a small way I have tried to replicate that passion for hand held weapons, edged and otherwise. I have a few long knives and modern renditions of WW I and WW II trench weapons.

The other day I ordered a set of tools that make up one modern "trench weapon." I had to use my Home Depot card or they were going to close it for non-use. Ever since COVID hit and my back started to bug me, doing work requiring tools ceased to exist. I took a look at their inventory and found an Estwing all steel 16oz Ball Peen Hammer, a tool-belt and a "belt-hammer-holder."

I'd long ago heard that motorcycle gangs used ball peen hammers on each other. So there ya go. My new toy!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:21 pm
In 2002 I took up 3 Filipino edged weapons (knife and machete) arts at once, and I studied 7 days per week. I lived in a van in Stockton, California to do this.

One of the guros had studied Japanese, and Filipino martial arts and he had dozens of different weapons all over his home. I thought that was pretty neat and in a small way I have tried to replicate that passion for hand held weapons, edged and otherwise. I have a few long knives and modern renditions of WW I and WW II trench weapons.

The other day I ordered a set of tools that make up one modern "trench weapon." I had to use my Home Depot card or they were going to close it for non-use. Ever since COVID hit and my back started to bug me, doing work requiring tools ceased to exist. I took a look at their inventory and found an Estwing all steel 16oz Ball Peen Hammer, a tool-belt and a "belt-hammer-holder."

I'd long ago heard that motorcycle gangs used ball peen hammers on each other. So there ya go. My new toy!

Sounds like a good setup you got there, Naperville.

Another common street weapon was the “slungshot,” which was a small weight, like a padlock, tied to the end of a flexible handle, such as a chain, a length of cord, or a bandana. Very easy to assemble, but ALSO VERY ILLEGAL TO CARRY AND/OR USE.

I’m posting the video below for educational purposes only, and am NOT encouraging anybody to make one one as a self-defense option. He calls it a chain whip, but it’s really a type of slungshot. The video shows a 12” length of chain, but bandanas were commonly used in the past, and it was probably easier to carry the bandana and the lock in separate pockets when not in use to hopefully avoid arrest for carrying a slungshot. However, I would imagine that most LEOs, if they searched someone and found a chain or bandana in one pocket and a padlock in the other, would probably suspect its purpose is to be used as a weapon.

Other similar makeshift weapons were bars of soap in a sock or cloth (IMO, a single sock would probably tear if used like that), pool balls wrapped in a small hand towel, etc. There is also something called a monkey’s fist, which is a length of para cord with a large knot (sometimes tied around a marble or ball bearing) on one end. I’m pretty sure all are illegal to use as SD weapons. Although if you were defending yourself in your own home and you have no other options, I guess the choice is yours. Knowledge is power.

https://youtu.be/DKFs46QjC7Y

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:01 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:21 pm

Sounds like a good setup you got there, Naperville.

Another common street weapon was the “slungshot,” which was a small weight, like a padlock, tied to the end of a flexible handle, such as a chain, a length of cord, or a bandana. Very easy to assemble, but ALSO VERY ILLEGAL TO CARRY AND/OR USE.

I’m posting the video below for educational purposes only, and am NOT encouraging anybody to make one one as a self-defense option. He calls it a chain whip, but it’s really a type of slungshot. The video shows a 12” length of chain, but bandanas were commonly used in the past, and it was probably easier to carry the bandana and the lock in separate pockets when not in use to hopefully avoid arrest for carrying a slungshot. However, I would imagine that most LEOs, if they searched someone and found a chain or bandana in one pocket and a padlock in the other, would probably suspect its purpose is to be used as a weapon.

Other similar makeshift weapons were bars of soap in a sock or cloth (IMO, a single sock would probably tear if used like that), pool balls wrapped in a small hand towel, etc. There is also something called a monkey’s fist, which is a length of para cord with a large knot (sometimes tied around a marble or ball bearing) on one end. I’m pretty sure all are illegal to use as SD weapons. Although if you were defending yourself in your own home and you have no other options, I guess the choice is yours. Knowledge is power.

https://youtu.be/DKFs46QjC7Y

Jim
I received the ball peen hammer! This thing is fantastic. If you hit someone in the chest or shoulder with it, the melee is over immediately. I mostly wanted it for protection of the home since I don't own any firearms. If I hear riots or home invasions are taking place, I'll strap the bad boy on.

I'll definitely buy in to your slungshot idea! I'll buy one of those setups next.

These are excellent at home type weapons. Carrying them would invite disaster.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/