Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
max808

Re: Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

Post by max808 »

Some unorthodox judo throws and sweeps for your consideration.

MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
James Y

Post by James Y »

max808 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:51 pm
Some unorthodox judo throws and sweeps for your consideration.

Thanks, Max!

As long as it works! Some of those throws and foot sweeps are quite innovative.

I especially love sneaky foot sweeps. Even though I quit Judo decades ago, one of the things I’ve kept from Judo (as well as from Shito-ryu Karate, which incorporated Judo foot sweeps) over the years has been foot sweeping.

The throw at 0:40 is just a slight variation of Tomoe Nagi, a traditional Judo throw. Not really that unorthodox.

Some modern Judo competitors look like they emphasize lots of strength vs strength, trying to overpower the opponent with sheer brute force; the exact opposite of Judo’s principle of using the opponent’s own weight or momentum against him, for “maximum efficiency with minimal effort.” I know things are different in the heat of competition, and like I said, as long as it works. But if you go against someone who’s bigger and/or stronger (and as you get older), it’s going to be very difficult to overpower them with sheer muscle, even with the freaky strength developed through Judo and other grappling training.

Jim
max808

Post by max808 »

Thanks Jim, like you haven't done judo for decades so have forgotten names and such, also love some of the sneaky sweeps, pretty brutal even on a tatami, but when applied to a street/concrete/curb environment it's no wonder some of these techniques have since become illegal. We're taking the dogs out for their evening run now but will type some more when we get back. Have a good one Sir.
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
James Y

Post by James Y »

max808 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:23 pm
Thanks Jim, like you haven't done judo for decades so have forgotten names and such, also love some of the sneaky sweeps, pretty brutal even on a tatami, but when applied to a street/concrete/curb environment it's no wonder some of these techniques have since become illegal. We're taking the dogs out for their evening run now but will type some more when we get back. Have a good one Sir.

Thanks, Max, you too.

A few years ago, I was on an early morning walk, and in the darkness on a slight downhill grade, I didn’t see a bump on the street and tripped. It happened really fast, and both feet got caught. As I saw the pavement “rushing up at me,” my body instinctively did the Judo front breakfall, which protected me. I could have suffered serious injuries had I landed wrong; but as it happened, the only injuries I got were abrasions on my hands, and a bit on my forearms. Otherwise, I wasn’t hurt at all; didn’t even get the wind knocked out of me. I was amazed that even after decades, my body still remembered it perfectly when I needed it. That was definitely one practical application of Judo in daily life.

https://youtu.be/OegVa1MjMO8

Jim
max808

Post by max808 »

James Y wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:06 pm
max808 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:23 pm

Thanks, Max, you too.

A few years ago, I was on an early morning walk, and in the darkness on a slight downhill grade, I didn’t see a bump on the street and tripped. It happened really fast, and both feet got caught. As I saw the pavement “rushing up at me,” my body instinctively did the Judo front breakfall, which protected me. I could have suffered serious injuries had I landed wrong; but as it happened, the only injuries I got were abrasions on my hands, and a bit on my forearms. Otherwise, I wasn’t hurt at all; didn’t even get the wind knocked out of me. I was amazed that even after decades, my body still remembered it perfectly when I needed it. That was definitely one practical application of Judo in daily life.

https://youtu.be/OegVa1MjMO8

Jim
Morning Jim, glad you're ok, good reflexes too and from reading your history decades of conditioning and muscle memory. Unfortunately my 89 year old neighbor didn't have all that when she tripped in the street a couple of days ago and fell flat on her face. Poor thing busted a couple of teeth, broke her nose in 3 places and her eyes all black and blue the next day. So yeah, you can do a lot of damage from just tripping.

That's why those intentional throws and sweeps/trips have such devastating effect on concrete surfaces, especially on unsuspecting folks, which is a bit of an MO these days. Remember those Asian seniors in the Bay area getting body slammed by young thugs, some of them dying from their injuries? Or those innocent people getting shoved into or in front of moving subway trains in NY or more recently getting stabbed from behind while waiting on the platform?

There seem to be a lot of opportunists/parasites out there these days constantly looking for an easy prey to satisfy that base instinct. That type of predator gets no love from me under any circumstances and that's what sets us apart from most other predatory species is that we hunt for sport and lust for the kill. Reason why I prefer dogs to most people... :winking-tongue Gotta go walk em again so enjoy the rest of your weekend Jim and stay safe out there!

Max

Fixed, also a grim reminder that a pregnant mother was shot in the head and stomach a couple of hours ago in Philadelphia >:[ :steam-nose :cussing
James Y

Post by James Y »

max808 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:23 am
Morning Jim, glad you're ok, good reflexes too and from reading your history decades of conditioning and muscle memory. Unfortunately my 89 year old neighbor didn't have all that when she tripped in the street a couple of days ago and fell flat on her face. Poor thing busted a couple of teeth, broke her nose in 3 places and her eyes all black and blue the next day. So yeah, you can do a lot of damage from just tripping.

That's why those intentional throws and sweeps/trips have such devastating effect on concrete surfaces, especially on unsuspecting folks, which is a bit of an MO these days. Remember those Asian seniors in the Bay area getting body slammed by young thugs, some of them dying from their injuries? Or those innocent people getting shoved into or in front of moving subway trains in NY or more recently getting stabbed from behind while waiting on the platform?

There seem to be a lot of opportunists/parasites out there these days constantly looking for an easy prey to satisfy that base instinct. That type of predator gets no love from me under any circumstances and that's what sets us apart from most other predatory species is that we hunt for sport and lust for the kill. Reason why I prefer dogs to most people... :winking-tongue Gotta go walk em again so enjoy the rest of your weekend Jim and stay safe out there!

Max

Fixed, also a grim reminder that a pregnant mother was shot in the head and stomach a couple of hours ago in Philadelphia >:[ :steam-nose :cussing

Hi, Max.

Yes, people often forget that self-defense also includes the ability to protect one’s self against falling, whether accidental or intentionally inflicted by others. Of course, I also feel I was lucky when I fell, because I fell straight forward, and the street I fell on had no other objects; meaning, there were no large or sharp rocks (there were only some pebbles and tiny bits of pavement), edge of a curb, or other junk that could complicate the effects of a fall.

As far as those predators are concerned, I don’t even want to get started about the lowlifes that go around targeting others, whether for the thrill of it, to scapegoat them, or to take out the fact that their own lives are worthless, so they look to take it out on others they know can’t fight back. Because what I would say about them wouldn’t leave any “shiny footprints” for this forum. All I can say is that Karma is a very real thing.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

60 Year Old Man Takes Break Dance Battle To A New Level

Never underestimate what an older guy might be capable of. This man was a legit 60 years old in this video. He’s 60-plus now.

https://youtu.be/Li7emNwLPaw

Jim
mixmaster

Post by mixmaster »

wow, that 60 year old sure is quick.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Thanks for posting, Naperville.

I must admit that I find the whole "honorary black belt" thing a bit of a turnoff. And it seems to be a purely Korean thing.

Back in the '90s, I was helping a friend who ran a martial arts supply store to set up a booth at a local Tae Kwon Do tournament. A councilman for the district the tournament was held in was in attendance as a special guest; Councilman (now Congressman) Juan Vargas. At one point, the Korean master who promoted the tournament presented Vargas with an honorary Tae Kwon Do black belt. Even though Vargas had never spent a day in his life practicing any martial art.

Mas Oyama, founder of Kyokushin Karate, presented Sean Connery with an honorary black belt, when Connery was in Japan playing 007 in You Only Live Twice. I said that honorary black belts were a Korean thing; Mas Oyama was a Japanese citizen who was actually an ethnic Korean, originally named Choi Yeong- Eui.

I've heard of other politicians and celebrities being presented with honorary black belts (mostly in TKD). I've never understood the fetish many Koreans have for giving out honorary black belts. I know it's for the publicity of having a celebrity associated with them and their art; I just don't understand it.

When I earned my first black belt in Kenpo, my teacher flunked me twice before passing me on the 3rd attempt. Each and every time I was put through the wringer. Many years later, my tests for 1st and 2nd-degree black sash in Choy Lee Fut were no easier. Some of my CLF classmates who earned their black sashes vomited or collapsed during their tests. If anyone ever offered me an honorary black belt in anything, I'd flat-out refuse it.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Interesting info on Mas Oyama.

I'd rather have the onsite training than a belt or sheet of paper. I'd rather be able to save my life or someone elses than anything else.

OFF TOPIC: My spinal column is messed up with pretty severe spinal stenosis. This came out of nowhere with no sign that this was coming. I have a fear that if I plan to get back to doing anything I may have to undergo cutting edge surgery, and at the moment I'm not going to do it. I do not want to be greedy(desire hard core full time training for 3 years) and instead end up a paraplegic. One of my instructors had spinal issues and he suffered tremendously, but with grace. I am not sure that I am prepared to deal with the situation. I plan to do exercises(have not even started) and get the bicycle on rollers to see what I can gain back just to walk a mile at 61yrs of age. We shall see....

I'll continue to collect DVDs, books, magazines. I was more than lucky to be involved at all.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:17 am

I'd rather have the onsite training than a belt or sheet of paper. I'd rather be able to save my life or someone elses than anything else.

OFF TOPIC: My spinal column is messed up with pretty severe spinal stenosis. This came out of nowhere with no sign that this was coming. I have a fear that if I plan to get back to doing anything I may have to undergo cutting edge surgery, and at the moment I'm not going to do it. I do not want to be greedy(desire hard core full time training for 3 years) and instead end up a paraplegic. One of my instructors had spinal issues and he suffered tremendously, but with grace. I am not sure that I am prepared to deal with the situation. I plan to do exercises(have not even started) and get the bicycle on rollers to see what I can gain back just to walk a mile at 61yrs of age. We shall see....

I'll continue to collect DVDs, books, magazines. I was more than lucky to be involved at all.

Wishing you the best, and keep yourself safe.

I don't know if you would get anything out of this, but I've found it useful to train mentally when I couldn't do it physically. Such as when I had to take 5 weeks off after each of the two hernia surgeries I had in the past few years. I mean literally practicing in your mind, and seeing through your mental "eyes" as if your body and mind are actually physically practicing, and NOT as if you're watching yourself. It works both as a temporary substitute for, and as a supplement to physical training.

Sometimes my mental practices were so lifelike that I had to quickly correct mistakes I realized I was making, the same as in physically practicing. I also mentally created opponents of different sizes, speeds, levels of aggression, etc. Sometimes my mentally-created opponents would "nail me" if I didn't respond correctly or quickly enough. Even though the practice is mental, you must keep it honest and realistic.

I know it sounds like BS, and it isn't as fun as actual physical training, but it definitely works if you can develop it. It does take the ability to both relax and focus your mind in a vivid manner. I've also found that, for myself, I can only focus on this type of vivid mental training for fairly brief periods of time (maybe up to 15 minutes at a time). I found this type of practice so effective that I still incorporate it as a part of my training. I have heard that the nervous system doesn't know the difference between vivid mental visualization and physical practice.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

“Shorinji Kenpo: Amazing Technique With Great Theory”

Shorinji Kenpo is supposedly a Japanese variation of Shaolin Kung Fu. “Shorinji Kenpo” is the Japanese pronunciation of “Shaolin Si Quanfa” in Mandarin, which literally translates as “Shaolin Temple Fist/Boxing Method.” In this case, “fist” means not only the closed fist and punching, but is referring to empty-hand fighting methods (as opposed to methods that incorporate weapons).

Good stuff. And I really like the helmet they use.

https://youtu.be/6WX2xqHVes8

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:48 pm
Naperville wrote:

I don't know if you would get anything out of this, but I've found it useful to train mentally when I couldn't do it physically. Such as when I had to take 5 weeks off after each of the two hernia surgeries I had in the past few years. I mean literally practicing in your mind, and seeing through your mental "eyes" as if your body and mind are actually physically practicing, and NOT as if you're watching yourself. It works both as a temporary substitute for, and as a supplement to physical training.

Sometimes my mental practices were so lifelike that I had to quickly correct mistakes I realized I was making, the same as in physically practicing. I also mentally created opponents of different sizes, speeds, levels of aggression, etc. Sometimes my mentally-created opponents would "nail me" if I didn't respond correctly or quickly enough. Even though the practice is mental, you must keep it honest and realistic.

I know it sounds like BS, and it isn't as fun as actual physical training, but it definitely works if you can develop it. It does take the ability to both relax and focus your mind in a vivid manner. I've also found that, for myself, I can only focus on this type of vivid mental training for fairly brief periods of time (maybe up to 15 minutes at a time). I found this type of practice so effective that I still incorporate it as a part of my training. I have heard that the nervous system doesn't know the difference between vivid mental visualization and physical practice.

Jim
Thanks Jim!

I'll watch the video materials that I have. Mental work is a good idea. Some of it will sink in.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:46 pm
James Y wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:48 pm
Naperville wrote:

Jim
Thanks Jim!

I'll watch the video materials that I have. Mental work is a good idea. Some of it will sink in.

Wishing you the best!

I have found that several minutes of vividly focused mental training can oftentimes beat an hour of unfocused physical training (just going through the motions as a routine). Of course, in vivid mental visualization the physical body isn’t being exercised, but the brain, nervous system and mental focus are being trained. It takes a lot of mental discipline, which carries over into physical training.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Must someone “learn it all?”

You often see YouTube comments as well as articles, where people say you can’t learn just one martial art of way of fighting; that you MUST train in many styles to be ‘a complete fighter.’

“Must” is a big word. How many people in the world have the interest, the time, the money, and the determination and dedication to become good at, and stick with, a single martial art, let alone every art or method that will make them ‘complete fighters’? The world is full of people who “used to do Karate,” or “did some Tae Kwon Do when I was a kid.” Or who “boxed a little at the youth center.” Percentage-wise, the number of people who stick with martial arts training past the beginner or intermediate stages is very small. To suggest that in order to defend themselves effectively they must learn and master a striking art like boxing or Muay Thai; a kicking art like Muay Thai or Tae Kwon Do (forgetting that many other arts also possess great striking and kicking skills); a grappling art like Judo or BJJ; and a weapon art like Kali, is impractical advice for most people.

My own martial arts background includes many arts and methods. So why am saying this? Because my journey is my own, I didn’t take it because anyone was saying I ‘had to’ do this or that to become a “complete fighter;” I did it out of pure interest. Beyond a certain point, I wasn’t trying to build a shield against the world and outdo anybody else. Or keep up with the Joneses. It was sheer interest, inspired by my Kenpo instructor, who was always open-minded and investigating different methods to see what worked for him.

You could do everything right, according to all the young guys who post online about having to learn every category of fighting to become “a complete fighter,” and never need to physically defend yourself once in your life. Or, in a worst-case scenario, you could get shot by some 12 year old kid, or be caught unawares by a predatory criminal, if you think the real world operates like a cage fight. Many say that BJJ is “the most effective martial art in the world.” Did that help the BJJ black belt in Brazil who tried to fight another driver in a road rage dispute and got shot to death? In fact, the attitude of being an expert in “the most effective martial art” probably helped get him killed. Meanwhile, someone without any martial arts training at all could end up avoiding any such situations through good fortune, awareness, avoidance, self-control, following their intuition, etc., etc. To say that in order to be effective, a person “has to” train in several martial arts depends on what you’re talking about.

There are guys out there with zero formal martial arts or combat sports training, but who have lots of real-world experience with violence and no inhibitions against using it, who are far more dangerous than "most" black belt martial artists or sports fighters. Maybe not in a ring or octagon, but definitely on the street, in a dark alley, hallway, stairwell, etc.

If you want to compete in MMA, then yes, you must cross-train. If you are simply interested in different martial arts and have the time, money, dedication, and the resources (good teachers willing to teach you), that’s great. If you only ever study and become good at one art, that’s great, too, and you are already in a minuscule percentage of people who have taken up a martial art and have stuck with it. If we look at human nature, the percentage of the guys who say that you MUST master several systems to become a complete fighter, who will still be training in anything at all into their 40s or 50s, is also exceedingly small. It’s safe to say that very few of the young people training right now in martial arts schools and MMA gyms/UFC Fit clubs will still be training 10 years from now. Life changes; people’s interests and priorities change; etc., etc.

Do you even need to become a “black belt” to be effective? NO! It’s not how much you know, but how well you can do it. The most effective things in real-life (non-sport) fighting are actually very simple. You could know only a few things very well, and have enough to be effective for life. Geoff Thompson, won more than 300 real-life fights, mostly with just ONE single technique; a right cross to the chin/jawline, done preemptively, when he knew that physical violence was imminent. Yet Thompson considered himself ‘a baby’ compared to others he knew in his profession (bouncer) when it came to numbers of street fights. The late William E. Fairbairn legitimately survived and prevailed in over 600 street fights and had knife scars all over his body to prove it; he had studied multiple martial arts systems, but he only relied on a few simple techniques/skills.

Jim
max808

Post by max808 »

James Y wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:45 am
Must someone “learn it all?”

You often see YouTube comments as well as articles, where people say you can’t learn just one martial art of way of fighting; that you MUST train in many styles to be ‘a complete fighter.’

“Must” is a big word. How many people in the world have the interest, the time, the money, and the determination and dedication to become good at, and stick with, a single martial art, let alone every art or method that will make them ‘complete fighters’? The world is full of people who “used to do Karate,” or “did some Tae Kwon Do when I was a kid.” Or who “boxed a little at the youth center.” Percentage-wise, the number of people who stick with martial arts training past the beginner or intermediate stages is very small. To suggest that in order to defend themselves effectively they must learn and master a striking art like boxing or Muay Thai; a kicking art like Muay Thai or Tae Kwon Do (forgetting that many other arts also possess great striking and kicking skills); a grappling art like Judo or BJJ; and a weapon art like Kali, is impractical advice for most people.

My own martial arts background includes many arts and methods. So why am saying this? Because my journey is my own, I didn’t take it because anyone was saying I ‘had to’ do this or that to become a “complete fighter;” I did it out of pure interest. Beyond a certain point, I wasn’t trying to build a shield against the world and outdo anybody else. Or keep up with the Joneses. It was sheer interest, inspired by my Kenpo instructor, who was always open-minded and investigating different methods to see what worked for him.

You could do everything right, according to all the young guys who post online about having to learn every category of fighting to become “a complete fighter,” and never need to physically defend yourself once in your life. Or, in a worst-case scenario, you could get shot by some 12 year old kid, or be caught unawares by a predatory criminal, if you think the real world operates like a cage fight. Many say that BJJ is “the most effective martial art in the world.” Did that help the BJJ black belt in Brazil who tried to fight another driver in a road rage dispute and got shot to death? In fact, the attitude of being an expert in “the most effective martial art” probably helped get him killed. Meanwhile, someone without any martial arts training at all could end up avoiding any such situations through good fortune, awareness, avoidance, self-control, following their intuition, etc., etc. To say that in order to be effective, a person “has to” train in several martial arts depends on what you’re talking about.

There are guys out there with zero formal martial arts or combat sports training, but who have lots of real-world experience with violence and no inhibitions against using it, who are far more dangerous than "most" black belt martial artists or sports fighters. Maybe not in a ring or octagon, but definitely on the street, in a dark alley, hallway, stairwell, etc.

If you want to compete in MMA, then yes, you must cross-train. If you are simply interested in different martial arts and have the time, money, dedication, and the resources (good teachers willing to teach you), that’s great. If you only ever study and become good at one art, that’s great, too, and you are already in a minuscule percentage of people who have taken up a martial art and have stuck with it. If we look at human nature, the percentage of the guys who say that you MUST master several systems to become a complete fighter, who will still be training in anything at all into their 40s or 50s, is also exceedingly small. It’s safe to say that very few of the young people training right now in martial arts schools and MMA gyms/UFC Fit clubs will still be training 10 years from now. Life changes; people’s interests and priorities change; etc., etc.

Do you even need to become a “black belt” to be effective? NO! It’s not how much you know, but how well you can do it. The most effective things in real-life (non-sport) fighting are actually very simple. You could know only a few things very well, and have enough to be effective for life. Geoff Thompson, won more than 300 real-life fights, mostly with just ONE single technique; a right cross to the chin/jawline, done preemptively, when he knew that physical violence was imminent. Yet Thompson considered himself ‘a baby’ compared to others he knew in his profession (bouncer) when it came to numbers of street fights. The late William E. Fairbairn legitimately survived and prevailed in over 600 street fights and had knife scars all over his body to prove it; he had studied multiple martial arts systems, but he only relied on a few simple techniques/skills.

Jim
Wow Jim, thank you for this boss level gem and do forgive my focus on the ugly side of things but like you say
James Y wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:45 am
in a worst-case scenario, you could get shot by some 12 year old kid, or be caught unawares by a predatory criminal, if you think the real world operates like a cage fight.
max808

Post by max808 »

Will reread your post a couple times and try to add to it from my limited experience. Have a good one Sir.
James Y

Post by James Y »

max808 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:59 am
Will reread your post a couple times and try to add to it from my limited experience. Have a good one Sir.

You too, Max! I’m looking forward to hearing your experiences/observations.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Legendary Speed of Ryan Garcia

I only recently heard of Ryan Garcia, and I’ve come to like him. Even though he has a big presence on social media, he can back it all up. His raw speed is phenomenal; at his quickest, it looks like undercranking (sped-up) photography. I’ve only seen a few guys with his level of speed; all were boxers.

Similar to YouTube comments some people leave on martial arts videos, Ryan Garcia is not without his doubters and detractors. Some saying that he has speed when hitting air outside of the ring, but can’t apply it inside of the ring. Some have said he can’t actually hit hard, and has no movement. Or that he hasn’t really fought anybody. Have they actually watched his work in the ring, or are they just stupid? Garcia has won most of his fights by KO. Whether or not his opponents so far have been elite level or not. IMO, he has boxing superstar written all over him, and in interviews he seems to have a good attitude. If any of his detractors ever stepped into a ring with him for some sparring, they would be begging off in no time.

https://youtu.be/XtolRzkL05k

https://youtu.be/3fM1aBdtOi4

Jim