Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

Post by James Y »

For me personally, the most important qualities of a good martial arts teacher are:

A deep understanding of the art they’re teaching.

The ability to actually apply/fight with it.

The ability to transmit it to students.

The ability to evaluate each student’s individual strengths.

I’ve had teachers of different sizes. Some were bigger than me, some were smaller, and one was actually my same height (5’ 9”). The most important thing is, can I learn from them? Do they actually have the ability to teach? Can they help ME to become better?

Just because someone has been in fights and is a good fighter doesn’t mean he/she has the ability or the temperament to teach. My worst teacher, in terms of teaching ability, had killed enemy soldiers up close in China during WWII, and again during the 1949 Chinese Revolution. His Kung Fu was very good, and he had lots of students, but he didn’t know how to teach. Teaching is a talent and a skill. Some have it naturally; some can learn it; and some can never develop it. The number of real fights they’ve been in has little relevance to that. I’ve been in a few street fights when I was young, and I have a friend/classmate who has taught his own classes for decades who has never been in a real fight in his life. Although I taught for a few years myself, I can tell you that he’s better at teaching than I am.

In the boxing world, there are many great trainers, like Cus D’Amato, who weren’t good fighters themselves.

Regardless of a martial arts teacher’s size, as long as he can transmit his art, at a certain point, how effective the student becomes is on the student. I’ve never fought exactly like any of my teachers. Even if you are the same height and weight, things are going to work a bit differently for different people.

Jim
Iole

Post by Iole »

I guess I partial winner the martial art lottery. My teacher has gotten me to the "no fight" mind to blend.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I too am small, 5’6 118lbs soaking wet...the most difficult fighters to fight is someone your own size, weight, and arm length... so you are so right about studying with an instructor whose size is similar to yours... not a absolute but true nonetheless..
James Y

Post by James Y »

I have to admit, some of my hardest opponents in training and competition were around my same size and weight. At 5’ 9” in my bare feet, and varying between 165-180 pounds, I’m on the shorter end of average size. I’ve always been used to facing opponents who were taller and larger than me. Sometimes a lot taller. I began training as a kid, and had to face adults who didn’t always care that I was a kid. And as an adult, most men in the States are above 5’ 9”. I’d say the most common average male height is 6’ tall. Even in my weight class, most opponents were taller than me. Facing larger opponents (and smaller opponents) were generally much easier for me than facing someone my own height and general weight (depending on the individual). It’s kind of a mystery as to why.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Jesse Enkamp’s videos on Karate are pretty good and honest stuff.

Although even he (like many, many other people) falls into the trap of saying, “...in Wing Chun or Kung Fu.” Wing Chun is a Kung Fu system, a good one, but no more special or scientific than any other Kung Fu system. Wing Chun became internationally famous because of Bruce Lee. If not for Bruce Lee, Wing Chun (and Lee’s WC teacher Ip Man) would never have become very well-known outside of Hong Kong, and Guangdong and Fujian/Fukien Provinces.

Most people seem unaware that Karate wasn’t introduced to “mainland” Japan until 1922, by Okinawan schoolteacher Gichin Funakoshi. Many changes were instituted to make it acceptable to the Japanese as a form of “Budo” (martial way, as compared to “Bujutsu”, meaning martial art). Before that, Karate was looked down upon by Japanese martial artists as a “foreign martial art” and a crude form of “backwater” brawling. Karate was definitely NOT an art that was practiced by samurai warriors.

https://youtu.be/65mZA-ICJXQ

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Baji Quan.

Baji Quan (or “Eight Ultimates Fist”) is a northern Chinese system renowned for its power generation and close-quarter fighting skills. The second Chinese martial arts teacher I had while living and training in Taiwan had gotten his start in Baji, but it wasn’t a style he taught. However, he did incorporate many of the basics and power-generating exercises in his teachings.

I also had a couple friends in Taiwan who were good Baji practitioners whom I sparred with. I have tons of respect for the system.

Some Baji fighting applications:

https://youtu.be/OH7X0t1RunU

Baji, solo technique and application:

https://youtu.be/b8e20gQ4D-s

Demonstration of Baji’s first form:

https://youtu.be/vYNs3A3MF00

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Shaolin Da Tongbei Quan.

Tongbei Quan (literally “Through the Back” Fist) is a form of northern Chang Quan (Long Fist). Joshua Viney lived and trained in the area of the Shaolin Temple in China’s Henan Province for over 10 years. I first became aware of his videos several years ago, when he shared some of them and was asking for feedback on a martial arts forum I used to frequent. His Kung Fu is excellent, as is his understanding of the form movements and their application theories. His passion for the art is evident. I’m amazed that I’d forgotten to post one of his videos earlier.

Note: Some people may find the screaming at the very beginning to be annoying. Do not allow that to put you off. IMO, this video, and virtually anything Joshua Viney has put out, are among the best-made videos on Chinese martial arts out there.

https://youtu.be/JHY2QCH76Qk

Jim
James Y

Re: Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Threa

Post by James Y »

This type of foot sweep is one of the few things I kept in my toolbox from my time in Japanese Shito-ryu Karate. I don’t even recall my Kenpo teacher incorporating this. Later, when I began studying Chinese martial arts in Taiwan, there were many foot and leg sweeps, some of which are virtually identical in application to this, and some of which are very different.

I generally preferred to use this type of sweep NOT while attacking as shown, but as the opponent was advancing towards me, and as his weight came down on his front foot. If timed properly, and if you’re close enough, you can quickly ‘sneak’ your front foot behind his foot (if he hadn’t already stepped ‘inside’ of your stance/position), and pull from your ‘core’, as shown in the video. In actuality, it doesn’t matter whether his right or left foot is forward; either way, he can be swept off-balance at least enough so you can follow-up.

https://youtu.be/DiOsPQjj4mM

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Xiao Hong Quan (Small Red Fist).

Hong Quan (“Red Fist”) is one of the true styles of northern-style Shaolin Kung Fu. I have heard that the name “Red Fist” implies drawing blood, or getting blood on one’s fists (i.e., hands) in combat. It is completely different from, and not to be confused with, southern-style Hung Kuen (which in Mandarin/Pinyin spelling is also written as “Hong Quan”). The character for the northern-style “Hong” means “Red”. The character for the southern-style Hung/Hong is the Chinese surname of the style’s founder, whose surname translates to “flood.” Northern Hong Quan and southern Hung Kuen are completely different martial arts.

https://youtu.be/RciA1j1uPek

Jim
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

James Y wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:12 am
southern-style Hung/Hong
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
James Y

Post by James Y »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:10 pm
James Y wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:12 am
southern-style Hung/Hong

😂😂😂

Great one, Bloke!!

Jim
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi Jim you write: "IMO, it pays to not stand out; to fly under the radar as much as possible, and to have an awareness of the environment. Those are WAY more important than which martial art(s) you may have studied, or how much weight you can lift. Whether ‘standing out’ means being flamboyant, extravagant, cocky, aggressive, timid, nervous, oblivious, etc., etc."
Jim, this is about the best advise one can give to anyone unfamiliar to streetfight situations and the dangers they keep. I have a 36 year military career behind me. I was born in 1950 and I have been deployed at different places in the world. During my time I have been in some unexpected situations. I have always held to be very much aware of my surroundings, and to keep my egress options open. Flying low, under the radar has kept me unharmed several times during these 36 years with deployments in the USA, Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands. Thanks for sharing your vast knowledge and experiences. I tip my hat! Stay safe and "Check Six" at all times. Jurphaas.
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi Jim you write: "IMO, it pays to not stand out; to fly under the radar as much as possible, and to have an awareness of the environment. Those are WAY more important than which martial art(s) you may have studied, or how much weight you can lift. Whether ‘standing out’ means being flamboyant, extravagant, cocky, aggressive, timid, nervous, oblivious, etc., etc."
Jim, this is about the best advise one can give to anyone unfamiliar to streetfight situations and the dangers they keep. I have a 36 year military career behind me. I was born in 1950 and I have been deployed at different places in the world. During my time I have been in some unexpected situations. I have always held to be very much aware of my surroundings, and to keep my egress options open. Flying low, under the radar has kept me unharmed several times during these 36 years with deployments in the USA, Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands. Thanks for sharing your vast knowledge and experiences. I tip my hat! Stay safe and "Check Six" at all times. Jurphaas.
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Oopr double post.... Sorry
James Y

Post by James Y »

Jurphaas wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:11 am

Thank you for the kind words, Jurphaas.

But I tip my hat to YOU, for all your years of service, and am glad that you were safe during all those years.

Jim
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Yeah thanx Jim. Altough my commarades and I have had to keep different parties seperate from each other in the Bosnia/Herzegovina conflict, I have been very lucky to serve during a 70 year period of peace in Western Europe....
Thanx and Stay safe,
Jurphaas.
James Y

Post by James Y »

All weapons are potentially lethal, but no weapon renders you invulnerable.

Below are two videos showing real-life instances of successful gun disarms. Now, am I advocating gun disarms? NO. My point in posting about this is that I’ve spoken to many guys, and seen many more posts on various forums, who advocate a gun as the ultimate self-defense. While I would agree that it can be ideal in a life or death situation, it’s not foolproof. Many gun advocates say that if you try to defend yourself with a knife, the attacker will just take it away and use it on YOU. So why does it usually take 3 or more cops to subdue a single knife-wielding suspect, IF they don’t just shoot him or her outright? If a person is DETERMINED, it is very hard to disarm someone with a knife. It can only happen if they’re either bluffing or careless. There have also been people who were disarmed and shot with their own guns.

Of course, gun disarm attempts can and do also fail. As have knife disarm attempts.

With a gun you have more distance to work with, but even that’s not a guarantee. In one instance I know of, one man was approached in an alley by another man with a knife from several yards away. The defender pulled his revolver. Instead of backing down, the knife-wielding assailant began running TOWARDS the defender in an erratic, side-to-side manner. The defender got off several shots, all of which missed. Then the attacker closed in and stabbed him. As he lay helpless on the pavement, the attacker stole his wallet and ran off. Luckily, that’s all the attacker wanted and the defender survived.

One guy I knew used to say that martial arts training is totally useless, and that all he needed was his Glock. Meanwhile, he was morbidly obese and in very poor health because of it. He was in more immediate danger from his own self (diet and lifestyle) than from any potential attackers. And had he been healthier and in a little better shape, he’d have probably been more effective with his firearm, too.

I am not anti-firearm at all; I am saying that there are no absolutes, and everything should be viewed in context.

https://youtu.be/T4tV-HBSxRc

https://youtu.be/Qk8YlnCIIBU

Jim
vivi

Post by vivi »

I was at the park and my kid asked me what a group of people were doing. I said they were practicing reverse crescent kicks, and showed her the difference between a regular one and a reverse, and compared them to a roundhouse which she's familiar with.

Little while later I glanced back over and saw two things being taught that made me cringe.

First was them practicing punches from horse stance, punching from the hip. Same way I was taught 30 years ago and had drilled out of me later on in muay thai and boxing classes.

To this day I can't think of an advantage to punching from the hip. The power comes from the ground up in a punch.

The other thing I saw was one of those drills where the "attacker" moves in slow motion, does a single predictable motion, and you do a specific defense. This type of drilling is popular in karate and to me it fails to address how dynamic physical conflict can be. Someone isn't going to throw a single punch and give you time to catch it, spin 180 degrees and do a hip throw, they're going to follow up with something else. This was something my MMA gym did well. When we did specific drills the attacker was told to be dynamic and move at regular speed and punish mistakes. If we were training to parry a jab with our lead hand and respond with X attack, the person wouldtry to dodge the attack or double up the jab if you moved too slow.

Frustrating seeing someone being taught things the wrong way.
:unicorn
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

vivi wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:31 pm
I was at the park and my kid asked me what a group of people were doing. I said they were practicing reverse crescent kicks, and showed her the difference between a regular one and a reverse, and compared them to a roundhouse which she's familiar with.

Little while later I glanced back over and saw two things being taught that made me cringe.

First was them practicing punches from horse stance, punching from the hip. Same way I was taught 30 years ago and had drilled out of me later on in muay thai and boxing classes.

To this day I can't think of an advantage to punching from the hip. The power comes from the ground up in a punch.

The other thing I saw was one of those drills where the "attacker" moves in slow motion, does a single predictable motion, and you do a specific defense. This type of drilling is popular in karate and to me it fails to address how dynamic physical conflict can be. Someone isn't going to throw a single punch and give you time to catch it, spin 180 degrees and do a hip throw, they're going to follow up with something else. This was something my MMA gym did well. When we did specific drills the attacker was told to be dynamic and move at regular speed and punish mistakes. If we were training to parry a jab with our lead hand and respond with X attack, the person wouldtry to dodge the attack or double up the jab if you moved too slow.

Maybe they're just practicing forms martial arts and not self defense. :D
James Y

Post by James Y »

vivi wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:31 pm

Regarding the slow-motion practice, did they look like beginners? Also, how old were they? I’m not going to say whether their practice method was good or bad, but sometimes when just starting out, it helps for beginners to do a two-person drill slowly a few times. Once they’ve got it down, they should then speed it up, then add variations into it (IMO).

I’ve also seen MMA, Muay Thai, and BJJ practitioners doing some drills at less than full speed.

Jim