Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

Post by James Y »

Asians Are Different in the Penitentiary

I'm not posting this video to glorify gangsters or criminality at all. I found it interesting, because the gangster known as 'Grasshopper' is described as a 'Kung Fu master,' and seemed to have been widely respected and even feared by the other inmates in Rikers Island in the '80s. He and the other Chinese gangsters had gained a fearsome reputation in prison.

Kung Fu has a poor reputation among many people, especially MMA and Karate practitioners (or coattail riders), as not producing people who can fight. I can say from personal experience, as well as through personal observation, that I've seen, encountered, sparred/fought against, and trained under Kung Fu practitioners who could fight for real and put a hurting on you very, very effectively. Those types of combative Kung Fu practitioners are NOT to be confused with the fake "Kung Fu masters" who were being destroyed in challenge matches by Chinese MMA fighter Xu Xiaodong a few years back, or the flashy Wushu performers in their shiny, silky uniforms.

The best Kung Fu men also seem to be quiet about it, and avoid boasting about themselves. They also tend to have a certain aura about them that you don't want to mess with them. I've personally known and/or faced effective real fighters from Choy Lee Fut, Lung Ying (Dragon Shape), Tanglang (Mantis), Bagua, Xingyi, Changquan (Long Fist), Fujian White Crane, Hung Gar, Jook Lum Tanglang (Bamboo Forest Southern Mantis), Wing Chun, and Shiai Jiao. There are others I've SEEN, but hadn't known or faced. And there are probably around 400 different Kung Fu styles and variations in existence that can differ wildly from each other, so to judge one by another is inaccurate.

https://youtu.be/ksqrNyUaiAw

Jim
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

^^fascinating
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I was never a gang banger, never in any mafia, but because I rode Japanese Supersport motorcycles and went to bars you get to meet certain people. I did not hang out with these people away from some event like riding motorcycles or a rave most of the time. A few times I did and that is how I definitively knew they were not my cup of tea and I never went to their homes again.

Once you know who they are, if I saw them on the street, at a rave, at their place of business(yes they owned businesses to cover their IRS tracks) I said hello and kept moving. They owned businesses and worked as managers to have a std every day income to cover for their deeds, whatever they might have been.

I don't know last names and I don't ask.

I went to one guys house in Illinois(don't know his name) and he rode a Kawasaki in the 80's. Probably a 1000cc bike, but I'd stay even with them anywhere they went with my built and race prepped 550 GPz. There were 4 of them, all very connected, and they rode fast on the street like myself. One time I went with them back to one of their homes and I took a seat after grabbing a beer....a guy came out of a hallway and threw a rifle at me. Never having been in the military I almost dropped it, and that is what they were seeing. They wanted to know who they were dealing with and if they wanted to allow me into the group, but I did not want in. There is far more to the story but that is all that I am saying. I quit riding where I knew they would be.

Another time I was hanging out with guys that a Vietnamese guy had introduced me to. A Hmong(sp). The Hmong was an X dealer for the Bay Area Triad. I did not know this and started to hang out with the group. I used to party and goof off with them. Then I saw their tats. Lots of guys had tats and wore clothes to hide them. I saw a guy that weighed 250lbs and was 6ft 4in with a full body tat that looked like a steroid freak...and enforcer. Full body tats...Chinese Triad are here in the USA. I quit hanging out with them. There is far more to the story but that is all that I am saying.

YOU decide once you know. YOU either quit hanging out or go deeper into the organizations. It would have been easy for me to keep hanging out with those folks but I have better things to do with my life.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

They are everywhere. If you buy drugs on the street, go to a rave, nightclub, large bar, chances are, you are interacting with them whether you know it or not.

Best bet, is to form your own groups, and leave events early, do not linger.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2023 ... -2022.html
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:09 pm
They are everywhere. If you buy drugs on the street, go to a rave, nightclub, large bar, chances are, you are interacting with them whether you know it or not.

I don't deal with gangsters or other criminals at all, if I can help it.

I already posted earlier about some of my encounters with Triads in Taiwan. Those were the only times (to my knowledge) that I ever had experiences around organized crime groups. The first time was when I fought off 3 men who tried to kidnap me. Later, one of my teacher's teachers (a "grandteacher") had "connections" to that world, though not to the same group as my failed kidnappers. I won't go back into that stuff here.

I also knew one guy I trained with under my first teacher who I later came to realize was a Triad leader of his own "family." He and his wife were always polite, and even friendly; it's best to be polite in return, but don't get too friendly in such situations. And never, ever, under any circumstances, accept anything, especially any favors, from anyone in that world.

After I returned to the States, I haven't had any encounters like that, AFAIK. I don't go to raves. And I haven't been to any bars or clubs since the '90s. They're just not my thing. I'm not a shy person, and I don't have agoraphobia. But I don't like being around crowds of people anymore, if i can avoid them. As I've gotten older, I find crowded places really annoying.

TBH, nowadays, and where I am, the Triads (or the Yakuza) would be the LEAST likely types of criminals I could potentially cross paths with.

I knew a guy who used to work security at clubs, who said there were Columbian and Russian gangsters who had been to some of the places he worked.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

2 Videos Below:

Two follow-up videos to the one I posted a few posts back:

"Diamond" Talks About Asian Gangster "Grasshopper" Fighting Everyone on Rykers Island C-74

https://youtu.be/UG5u3Z_tXtQ

Former Tung On Gangster "Bighead" Talks About "Grasshopper" From C-74 at Rikers, & Origin of Tung On Gang

I found this interesting, because he mentions the style that "Grasshopper" had trained, Hung Kuen (AKA Hung Gar), along with Tie Sha Zhang (Iron Palm; not a style, but a hand conditioning method common in many Kung Fu systems). Hung Kuen/Hung Gar is one of the prominent Southern Chinese Kung Fu systems, along with Choy Lee Fut, Wing Chun, Bak Mei, etc.

https://youtu.be/A4bEuade4s8

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Old-School Karate Sweeps and Throws

Traditional Okinawan Karate systems had their own takedowns and throws.

The sweeps and throws in Japanese Karate (such as Shotokan, Shito-ryu, etc.) were adapted into Karate from Judo. The foot and leg sweeps were probably my favorite aspects that I took away from my time in Shito-ryu Karate. Almost anytime someone lifts their leg, especially for a mid-to-high kick, their supporting foot and leg is vulnerable; or when they step or lunge forward to punch or strike, etc., they become vulnerable to being swept as they are about to plant their lead foot.

Foot sweeps have a place in self-defense, but IMO, they are more useful in sparring and sport fighting competitions. If you sweep an attacker in SD, unless he was injured by it (twisted knee or ankle, or the back of his head hits the pavement, etc.), he can get right back up again, if you didn't finish him off with another strike, or strikes, on his way down.

https://youtu.be/4q_aHo-cPks

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Judo vs Chinese Dog Boxing (Gouquan)

https://youtu.be/2Jarz6a_C10

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Karate Tournament From the '80s

This is Enshin Karate, which I believe branched off from Kyokushin.

https://youtu.be/Enhe7joKtMk

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Masters of Taiwan, Episode 3 / Eight-Step Mantis With Chang Juin-Hau

Note: The Kung Fu part of the video begins at 4:18.

My second Tanglangquan (Praying Mantis style) teacher in Taiwan, Peng Han-Ping, had learned 8-Step Mantis directly under Wei Hsiao-Tang (also spelled Wei Xiaotang), who is shown in old footage at about 4:24. It was Wei Hsiao-Tang who brought Babu Tanglang (8-Step Mantis) to Taiwan. Wei Hsiao-Tang died in 1984.

The story Sifu Peng told me about why Wei Hsiao-Tang had to flee from Korea (after first fleeing from Mainland China) to Taiwan was because in Korea, he had killed a Japanese Yakuza gangster in a fight, and so he fled Korea to avoid retribution from the Yakuza.

Chang Juin-Hau clearly demonstrates very high-level knowledge and skills in his applications. It brings back memories of those years I spent practicing 8-Step Mantis (Babu Tanglang) under my late Sifu Peng.

https://youtu.be/3Jz2scYEcgg

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:51 am
Naperville wrote:

I already posted earlier about some of my encounters with Triads in Taiwan. Those were the only times (to my knowledge) that I ever had experiences around organized crime groups. The first time was when I fought off 3 men who tried to kidnap me. Later, one of my teacher's teachers (a "grandteacher") had "connections" to that world, though not to the same group as my failed kidnappers. I won't go back into that stuff here.

I also knew one guy I trained with under my first teacher who I later came to realize was a Triad leader of his own "family." He and his wife were always polite, and even friendly; it's best to be polite in return, but don't get too friendly in such situations. And never, ever, under any circumstances, accept anything, especially any favors, from anyone in that world.

After I returned to the States, I haven't had any encounters like that, AFAIK. I don't go to raves. And I haven't been to any bars or clubs since the '90s. They're just not my thing. I'm not a shy person, and I don't have agoraphobia. But I don't like being around crowds of people anymore, if i can avoid them. As I've gotten older, I find crowded places really annoying.

TBH, nowadays, and where I am, the Triads (or the Yakuza) would be the LEAST likely types of criminals I could potentially cross paths with.

I knew a guy who used to work security at clubs, who said there were Columbian and Russian gangsters who had been to some of the places he worked.

Jim
From 2010 to 2023, I think I'd be labeled a hermit by a sociologist or psychiatrist. :squinting-tongue

After meeting all of these strange or difficult people and being somewhat aware of crime, I do not want to deal with anyone. It's a young man's game.

When I was in my 40's I'd go out and look around at all the young faces. I felt like a grandpa in some places, and the others in the club all looked under-age.

I went to raves in San Francisco that had either a lot of Asians or a lot of Russians. They did not frequent small clubs with DJs or live music, they liked to take over the large clubs. Small clubs and small bars is the secret to avoiding organized crime I suppose, but then you have to drink and get out or the locals will be an issue.

I like just going out, grabbing 4 fresh uncooked pizzas from a good restaurant and staying home for a week.

I give up... :smiling-halo
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:52 am
James Y wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:51 am
Naperville wrote:

Jim
From 2010 to 2023, I think I'd be labeled a hermit by a sociologist or psychiatrist. :squinting-tongue

After meeting all of these strange or difficult people and being somewhat aware of crime, I do not want to deal with anyone. It's a young man's game.

When I was in my 40's I'd go out and look around at all the young faces. I felt like a grandpa in some places, and the others in the club all looked under-age.

I went to raves in San Francisco that had either a lot of Asians or a lot of Russians. They did not frequent small clubs with DJs or live music, they liked to take over the large clubs. Small clubs and small bars is the secret to avoiding organized crime I suppose, but then you have to drink and get out or the locals will be an issue.

I like just going out, grabbing 4 fresh uncooked pizzas from a good restaurant and staying home for a week.

I give up... :smiling-halo

Even into my mid-30s, I was still being carded at bars and other adult establishments, because I looked too young. And the people wanting to see my ID were younger than I was. 😁

But being around places with mostly lots of younger 20-somethings started feeling like being around little kids. TBH, by that time I only went to such places with friends. I never had any interest in going to bars or clubs alone. I was never much of a drinker anyway, even though when I did drink I held my liquor pretty well. By the late '90s, I stopped going to such places altogether.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:20 pm

Even into my mid-30s, I was still being carded at bars and other adult establishments, because I looked too young. And the people wanting to see my ID were younger than I was. 😁

But being around places with mostly lots of younger 20-somethings started feeling like being around little kids. TBH, by that time I only went to such places with friends. I never had any interest in going to bars or clubs alone. I was never much of a drinker anyway, even though when I did drink I held my liquor pretty well. By the late '90s, I stopped going to such places altogether.

Jim
Chalk me up to being in California and thinking I was part of the younger group. I was 40 and had never been to a rave or a large city's dance club when I arrived in Silicon Valley in 2000. Lots of fun back then, but it got old fast. I think I hung out for a few months max, then bailed.

I started dating somebody from a company that rented lab space from our company. She was wonderful but it did not last. I bowed out of the relationship when the co I worked for reneged on paying me $35,000 and came back home to Illinois.

Maybe it all would have worked out. I'll never know. I am almost 100% risk averse. I was married once before and the wife of 12yrs walked when I shut down the web hosting/software development co that I started.

Haven't had a date since 2002, when I last saw her.

Life is whatever it is, and I'm just trying to make it to 100 now. Now worried about dating anymore. Just not in the cards.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:03 pm
James Y wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:20 pm

Jim
Chalk me up to being in California and thinking I was part of the younger group. I was 40 and had never been to a rave or a large city's dance club when I arrived in Silicon Valley in 2000. Lots of fun back then, but it got old fast. I think I hung out for a few months max, then bailed.

I started dating somebody from a company that rented lab space from our company. She was wonderful but it did not last. I bowed out of the relationship when the co I worked for reneged on paying me $35,000 and came back home to Illinois.

Maybe it all would have worked out. I'll never know. I am almost 100% risk averse. I was married once before and the wife of 12yrs walked when I shut down the web hosting/software development co that I started.

Haven't had a date since 2002, when I last saw her.

Life is whatever it is, and I'm just trying to make it to 100 now. Now worried about dating anymore. Just not in the cards.

Naperville,

I haven't had a date since 2009. I got tired of it. They never led anywhere meaningful. My only LTR was with my GF in Taiwan, which lasted a few years back in the '80s. She brought up the idea of getting married, but I knew it wouldn't have worked out. After I came back here, I dated different woman off and on (mostly off) from the mid-'90s until 2009. We shared nothing in common, personality-wise. Plus, I ended up spending a decade being the sole caregiver for my mom.

For the longest time (decades), I always kept my hopes up that I would find the right one, but it never happened. Then one day, it suddenly hit me that I'm perfectly happy by myself. In fact, I prefer it. I'm probably not even husband material. If someone is with me all the time, I miss my alone time. I don't have to deal with any drama. My decisions are my own, and they affect me and me alone. I never wanted to have kids, anyway. I've known several guys who were married, who weren't as happy as I am.

That said, if others are happily married with kids, I am genuinely happy for them.

I'm happy for myself, too. Contrary to mainstream beliefs, I, and many other lifelong (or long-term) bachelors like me, never feel lonely or bored, and are perfectly fulfilled in our lives. I also have around 10 people in my life who are real-life true friends. I only mention this because many married people become almost offended when single people are genuinely happily being single. They think it's being selfish. I say it would have been selfish of me to have gotten married to the wrong woman. And divorces are costly. I've paid my dues in life. I don't live my life to please others, or to conform to their standards.

I hope you reach your goal of living to 100.

Note: If anyone is wondering why we went so off-topic in this thread, well, its my thread, so no harm, no foul.

😛

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Old Judo Was Crippling

(Video below)

I practiced Judo in the '70s. I haven't been in a Judo dojo since, so I can't say how they are now. But I can attest to the fact that it was ROUGH. Very rough. They didnt care much if you were a kid, either. But surprisingly, I never got any real injuries, other than getting ragdolled a lot, and bruises, which are to be expected. Otherwise, I got used to it. I only left Judo because I became more enamored with Karate, and striking in general.

My dad had achieved 2nd Dan (black belt) in Judo while incarcerated in the Japanese-American internment camp in Poston, Arizona, during WWII.

My first exposure to martial arts was when we took my older brother to Judo class, in 1965 or '66. I was 2 or 3 years old, and the rough randori, and the loud slaps and thumps on the mat, scared the crap out of me. My brother only went for maybe a month before he quit. He hated it. And it scared me away from doing martial arts until I was 10. Ironically, I ended up training in Judo under the same sensei who taught my brother.

I would say that, in general, all martial arts, with the exception of maybe styles like Muay Thai and Kyokushin, were taught and practiced a lot rougher than they are today, at least here in the States. Back when I was learning Karate and Kung Fu, standards were also high, and the training was very tough. It was sink or swim. That was expected. Belt ranks weren't just given away. It wasn't uncommon for me to feel a bit nervous on the way to class.

I watched the Karate kumite (sparring) in the Tokyo Olympics, and it looked like powderpuff sparring compared to the sparring when I was training in Kenpo Karate, Shito-ryu Karate, and in Choy Lee Fut.

Nowadays, most martial arts are geared towards kids, or are "family-oriented." So to avoid scaring away students and to avoid lawsuits, standards have necessarily been watered down.

IMO, Judo is still one of the best and most effective martial arts out there.

https://youtu.be/OIDPU9U7EFM

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I like the dirty Judo! I'll let you know if I find a DVD. I looked on em3 videos and did not find it but it's all over YouTube. I'll download what I can because well, if a guy is trying to destroy me on the street I'll use it. :cheap-sunglasses

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dirty+judo

The only time that I was injured was in Hapkido around 95. This other guy and I were tossing each other pretty hard onto the mat and the next thing I knew my right shoulder was killing me. I did not land properly. I never went to the doctor or had it looked at. At the time, I thought that the ball on my right arm rolled out of the shoulder socket, moving toward my chest. But I think it just damaged the socket a bit, maybe tore the surrounding cartilage a bit.

After all of these years the only part of my body that aches is my lower back(spinal stenosis) and my right shoulder. I also slightly tore the meniscus on my left knee while running in a Winter snow storm in Iowa with a weighted pack. It does not bother me. I don't ski, and I no longer run much. So I'm good to go!

:winking-tongue

It's always fun until the pain starts to really get to you after the initial injury. Pain can really be something else.

Right now the only thing keeping me from signing up for boxing or muay thai is money and being just a bit out of shape. Not sure whether or not I'll be able to walk as planned this Spring, but so far it's a go. One day at a time!
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:13 am
I like the dirty Judo! I'll let you know if I find a DVD. I looked on em3 videos and did not find it but it's all over YouTube. I'll download what I can because well, if a guy is trying to destroy me on the street I'll use it. :cheap-sunglasses

The only time that I was injured was in Hapkido around 95. This other guy and I were tossing each other pretty hard onto the mat and the next thing I knew my right shoulder was killing me. I did not land properly. I never went to the doctor or had it looked at. At the time, I thought that the ball on my right arm rolled out of the shoulder socket, moving toward my chest. But I think it just damaged the socket a bit, maybe tore the surrounding cartilage a bit.

After all of these years the only part of my body that aches is my lower back(spinal stenosis) and my right shoulder. I also slightly tore the meniscus on my left knee while running in a Winter snow storm in Iowa with a weighted pack. It does not bother me. I don't ski, and I no longer run much. So I'm good to go!

It's always fun until the pain starts to really get to you after the initial injury. Pain can really be something else.

Right now the only thing keeping me from signing up for boxing or muay thai is money and being just a bit out of shape. Not sure whether or not I'll be able to walk as planned this Spring, but so far it's a go. One day at a time!

I think I already posted about the time a basic Judo falling technique saved me from a potentially serious injury. This happened in 2015. By then, I hadn't been in a Judo dojo since 1979...so 36 years. I was doing an early morning walk, and in the semi-darkness, my foot caught on a hard-to-see bump in the street, and then caught my other foot when I tried to catch my balance. I instinctively did a basic Judo front fall and landed perfectly. It happened really fast. I was unhurt, except for some cuts and scrapes on my palms (the road had some little rocks on it).

I was amazed that after all those years, that Judo breakfall technique came out so quickly and naturally when it was needed. You could call that a successful example of using Judo for self-defense against injury from a fall onto a paved road.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

He picked a Fight With the Wrong 72-Year-old...

Don't Underestimate Anyone.

I'm always amused when I hear males, both young and old, say that by the time you're 50 you're washed up physically, and cannot defend yourself against a younger man. Well, it depends on the situation and who the older man is. Not everyone is built of the same stuff.

IMO, the young guy should have gotten a lot more than 4.5 years behind bars for breaking and entering a home, and attempted murder with a knife. You'd think he would have, considering this incident occurred in England.

https://youtube.com/shorts/1x3YCzM-TRg?feature=share

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Old Striking Techniques of Jujutsu Were Elite; Here's Why

*Video below:

The main techniques shown in the video below are excellent strikes across the board when it comes to self-defense. By self-defense, I'm talking about last-ditch or sudden, unavoidable situations where avoidance or escape are no longer an option.

The main hand strikes I emphasize for my own SD are: Palm heel, blade hand (edge-of-hand chop), hammer fist, and tiger claw. Each has variations depending on the angle, range, target, delivery, etc.

My secondary strikes are edge-of-forearm to the neck, inner arms, etc., as well as elbow strikes.

I emphasize punches very little in SD, except to the body. Some might say that hammer fists are punches, but technically they're not. Punches strike with the knuckles in line with the hand and forearm bones. Punches can be very effective, but they put your hands at greater risk of being broken in SD.

Whereas in competition, the main hand strikes are punches which, except in Kyokushin, the hands are gloved (as well as taped for full contact). There are several skill combinations I used in competitive fighting that I would never even attempt in SD.

The kicks I keep for SD are limited and go no higher than the groin. Front snap kick, oblique kick, side thrust kick, back heel snap to groin, and front knee. TBH, I don't emphasize much kicking for SD, even though as a younger martial artist, many people thought of me as a good kicker, although I always liked hands as much or better. I kicked effectively in competitive fighting, but in the street fights and SD situations I was in, I never threw a single kick.

There are also a few simple throws in my toolbox.

Competitive sparring and sudden or last-ditch self-defense are two very different things. You do not want to have too many techniques for SD. Simple is best. But anything in your toolbox must be trained and tested thoroughly, so that it's a natural action or reaction when they're needed.

Also, IMO, strikes and other skills used for SD should emphasize biomechanically shutting down or disabling the opponent (affecting his ability to breath, the blood flow to his brain, concussing his brain, creating physical damage that affects his ability to see, his ability to stand, walk, etc.), as opposed to relying on pain to stop him. Many people do not feel pain during an adrenaline surge, or when drunk, high on drugs, or if insane. Some men have enough natural padding from muscle (around their necks, etc.) or fat that they are much more difficult to hurt than the majority of people. And if you kick or strike the groin, whether it lands or not, you'd better have a good follow-up. Relying on pain alone to stop a serious attacker is not a good strategy.

https://youtu.be/Asi1yQ6_HqU

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:32 am
Naperville wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:13 am

I think I already posted about the time a basic Judo falling technique saved me from a potentially serious injury. This happened in 2015. By then, I hadn't been in a Judo dojo since 1979...so 36 years. I was doing an early morning walk, and in the semi-darkness, my foot caught on a hard-to-see bump in the street, and then caught my other foot when I tried to catch my balance. I instinctively did a basic Judo front fall and landed perfectly. It happened really fast. I was unhurt, except for some cuts and scrapes on my palms (the road had some little rocks on it).

I was amazed that after all those years, that Judo breakfall technique came out so quickly and naturally when it was needed. You could call that a successful example of using Judo for self-defense against injury from a fall onto a paved road.

Jim
I have this new neighbor, not sure where she is from, maybe Australia or UK based on the flag she flies in front of her home.

She's been here for maybe 5 years and we have owned our home since 82. She has her sump pump water flow directed into the county sewer. She is unincorporated so she gets away with it.

She complained about the water from our sump pump, and demanded we spend thousands of dollars for a french drain and additional upgrades. She came over and complained 3x about the water discharge and we are 100% legal, and that is the way we have directed our water since we moved in. Well, I listened to her once and ran the sump water discharge down the driveway and across the sidewalk(ILLEGAL - but I did it to appease her).

I was walking down the sidewalk 6 months later and it had slimy silt built up on the sidewalk making it slippery and I fell like a load of bricks on the concrete. I fell on my back and it was so fast. Luckily I tucked my chin to my chest or I would have split my head open.

The water is back in the backyard where it belongs.