Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Naperville

Re: Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

Post by Naperville »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:49 pm
Check out D3 protection.com for saps and blackjacks the Gonzales sap he makes is truly a melee Mt Rushmore impact weapon and still allowed issue by a CA sheriff’s offive
https://www.d3protection.com/

He has some very nice stuff. I forwarded the link to my brother.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

All you need is one good one. There are loves and there are loves of a lifetime. I was hoping someone was going to catch my joke but I set a good hook.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:43 pm
All you need is one good one. There are loves and there are loves of a lifetime. I was hoping someone was going to catch my joke but I set a good hook.
[+1]
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:33 pm
I had a great marital art experience last night. Was not sure I would survive.

Just saw this post. LOL! 😅

*Edit to add: It reminds me of an old episode of Kung Fu, where Kwai Chang Caine meets his cowboy half-brother, who asks him what method he was fighting with, and Caine said “martial arts.” Then his half-brother said something like, “I thought you said you were a monk?” The martial/marital joke works in writing but not in spoken form. 🙂

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

twinboysdad wrote:
Check out D3 protection.com for saps and blackjacks the Gonzales sap he makes is truly a melee Mt Rushmore impact weapon and still allowed issue by a CA sheriff’s offive

Great stuff! Thanks for mentioning it. I personally wouldn’t try to order anything, though, because I’m not a LEO, and I’m probably not even allowed by law to own one, let alone use one. Even if I had to defend myself in my own house.

Jim
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

James Y wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:52 am
twinboysdad wrote:

Great stuff! Thanks for mentioning it. I personally wouldn’t try to order anything, though, because I’m not a LEO, and I’m probably not even allowed by law to own one, let alone use one. Even if I had to defend myself in my own house.

Jim
I have owned many but the legality being questionable in my state, I only have a few and seldom carry one. I do like the key chain sap as it can be pre deployed nonchalant and used in a hammer fist with the sap hanging out of the bottom of your hand. One of those to the collarbone or jaw would be a force multiplier
James Y

Post by James Y »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:56 am
James Y wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:52 am
twinboysdad wrote:

Jim
I have owned many but the legality being questionable in my state, I only have a few and seldom carry one. I do like the key chain sap as it can be pre deployed nonchalant and used in a hammer fist with the sap hanging out of the bottom of your hand. One of those to the collarbone or jaw would be a force multiplier

Anything that works with the hammer fist is of interest to me, as the hammer fist is one of my favorite, most-trained go-to strikes. Certainly my favorite closed-fist strike in terms of SD. In a pinch, a roll of coins, or a closed Alox SAK in your fist, partially exposed, would also work as a force multiplier for the hammer fist.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Crime of Opportunity/Direct Attack Robbery and the Signals

This guy’s video analyses are among the best. Unfortunately, most of his videos end up either removed from YouTube, or become age-restricted at some point. This is one of the few that hasn’t (yet).

https://youtu.be/40xbhphQ76E

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

22-Year Old Visits Seattle and Gets Robbed (Self-Defense Breakdown, by Tim Larkin)

https://youtu.be/wgy2NEJTTbA

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Kicks of the ‘80s (American-style kickboxing)

This video features a bunch of martial artists and fighters who were big names in the martial arts world back in the ‘70s and ‘80s:

https://youtu.be/zG5X9OBGVHk

Jim

(
James Y

Post by James Y »

Street Hockey Concept (by Lee Morrison)

https://youtu.be/qVB0i0UcQ70

Jim
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

James Y wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:11 am

This guy’s video analyses are among the best. Unfortunately, most of his videos end up either removed from YouTube, or become age-restricted at some point. This is one of the few that hasn’t (yet).

Jim
When I saw the way he was holding the bottle I knew what was coming. I don't know of anyone who holds a bottle like that for any other reason. Terrible situational awareness.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:51 am
James Y wrote:

Jim
When I saw the way he was holding the bottle I knew what was coming. I don't know of anyone who holds a bottle like that for any other reason. Terrible situational awareness.
The only thing that you can do is to never allow anyone within 10 feet of you in public. If they get any closer, get up and move away. If they follow, confront them.
James Y

Post by James Y »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:51 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

The victim seemed completely oblivious. I can’t tell if he was maybe impaired somehow, or simply too trusting? The way the perp was behaving (seemed like he was nervous or psyching himself up) was a sure giveaway; plus, I also don’t let strangers get close to me like that. Especially in a deserted area like that, the alarm bells go off if I just see another person there.

In my late teens, in the early ‘80s, I stupidly went out and frequented high-risk areas in San Diego for entertainment, often late at night into the wee hours on a regular basis, and luckily I was able to avoid trouble during that time period. Although I did see some stuff that happened (or was about to happen) to other people, and had a couple of close calls myself. Now I shake my head thinking back to those days, but it did help me to develop my situational awareness, and how to spot potential dangers before they could develop. But the best awareness would’ve been not being in those areas in the first place, especially since I didn’t have to be. I didn’t have to live or work in those areas, so it was unnecessary, and foolish.

I did have some incidents that happened later, when lived in Taiwan, but that's another story.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:16 pm
The victim seemed completely oblivious. I can’t tell if he was maybe impaired somehow, or simply too trusting? The way the perp was behaving (seemed like he was nervous or psyching himself up) was a sure giveaway; plus, I also don’t let strangers get close to me like that. Especially in a deserted area like that, the alarm bells go off if I just see another person there.

In my late teens, in the early ‘80s, I stupidly went out and frequented high-risk areas in San Diego for entertainment, often late at night into the wee hours on a regular basis, and luckily I was able to avoid trouble during that time period. Although I did see some stuff that happened (or was about to happen) to other people, and had a couple of close calls myself. Now I shake my head thinking back to those days, but it did help me to develop my situational awareness, and how to spot potential dangers before they could develop. But the best awareness would’ve been not being in those areas in the first place, especially since I didn’t have to be. I didn’t have to live or work in those areas, so it was unnecessary, and foolish.

I did have some incidents that happened later, when lived in Taiwan, but that's another story.

Jim
[+1]

You can study all the martial arts that you want. You can become a Zen Master. You can be the nicest guy in a town with 250,000 people. But if you go where there are people doing sketchy things, it may force you into a corner that you have to fight to stay alive.

I learned this the hard way so in no way am I speaking down to anyone.

I'm much more of a home body now, and I choose my friends very carefully. Not everyone with a smile, good demeanor and a wonderful life story of overcoming adversity is your life long missing twin. They could be a crocodile!
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:46 pm
[+1]

You can study all the martial arts that you want. You can become a Zen Master. You can be the nicest guy in a town with 250,000 people. But if you go where there are people doing sketchy things, it may force you into a corner that you have to fight to stay alive.

I learned this the hard way so in no way am I speaking down to anyone.

I'm much more of a home body now, and I choose my friends very carefully. Not everyone with a smile, good demeanor and a wonderful life story of overcoming adversity is your life long missing twin. They could be a crocodile!

Agreed. And I’m also very careful about who I consider an actual friend. A lot of people will call someone they just met, or met only a few times briefly, a friend, because they may have had seemingly positive interactions. These are superficial. You don’t really know them, and they don’t know you. It takes a LOT more than that for me to consider somebody a friend.

Jim.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Martial Arts image

Something that’s long been in the back of my mind is the ‘martial arts image’ and what it projects. For example, oftentimes on game shows, when a contestant reveals that they have a black belt in some martial art, the host will joke, “You’re not going to beat me up, are you?” While it’s a joke, for many, there is the “Bruce Lee” and “Chuck Norris” image surrounding martial arts. The “tough guy” image of someone who is a bad *** and can handle himself/herself in any situation.

There are even some trained people who mention their abilities in relation to instances where they aren’t even applicable, as if they themselves bought into the “Chuck Norris” image. “I literally crapped my pants when that 1,500-pound grizzly bear made a charge at me. And I ain’t afraid of nothin’; I’m 6’4” tall, 250 pounds, and trained in hand-to-hand combat. But that scared me.” What the **** does having training in H2H combat have to do with facing off with a 1,500 pound grizzly? You can be 7’ tall, know all the modern combatives or have multiple black belts, and if the grizzly decides it’s going to take you down and is able to get to you, you’re a dead man. At the very least, you’re going to be severely mauled.

I never bought into the martial arts “tough guy” or “hero” image. One of the reasons why, in real life, I almost never discuss martial arts. People either think it’s all BS, or they hold you to an unrealistic standard. If you’re standing in line at the bank with someone you know (a friend/associate, spouse, etc.), and a group of bank robbers burst in and order everyone to the floor; if the person you’re with is dumb, they might say, “You’re a black belt! DO SOMETHING!” Even worse if you happen to be a famous UFC fighter, or an action movie star. Of course, I’m exaggerating the situation and the response above, but my point is, you could have an unrealistic image and expectation to live up to. Trying to live up to such unrealistic expectations, whether to prove something to yourself or anybody else, can get you killed.

Bobby Lashley is 270+ pounds of sheer muscle who was an amateur wrestling champion, fought in MMA, and is a pro wrestler. Years ago, while standing in line at a bank, robbers came in, fired shots, and ordered everyone to the floor. Without hesitation, Lashley dropped down so fast that he suffered a severe knee injury that ruined his hopes for the Olympics (one of the reasons he became a pro wrestler); but thankfully he is alive and well. Lashley has been very open about how terrifying the incident was for him.

I’ve never bought into the martial arts or tough guy hype in relation to myself. I know what I can and can’t do. I’d rather nobody even know that I’ve had any training. I’ve discussed martial arts A LOT more in this thread than I ever have in my personal life, except for when I taught for a few years; and that was more doing than talking.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Greatest Female Professional Fighter vs Male Amateur Fighter (Video Below)

Dutch boxer and kickboxer Lucia Rijker was considered by many to be the best female sports fighter of all time. Although I might argue that Valentina Shevchenko is a contender for the best all-around pound-for-pound female sports fighter.

Lucia Rijker was definitely a power puncher. However, when they show her hitting the dummy in the head compared to the male fighters, she’s using a hook, while they are using straight crosses, which helped her a little in that aspect. BTW, Lucia Rijker appeared in the Clint Eastwood movie Million Dollar Baby as Hilary Swank’s final opponent.

Personally, I don’t like inter-gender sport fight matches. IMO, there is only one reason for them: ego. They prove nothing, IMO. It’s a no-win situation for the male fighter; If he wins, “he only beat up a woman;” if he loses, “he couldn’t even handle a woman.” The truth is, men and women ARE different (bone and muscle density, etc.), and IMO should not be fighting each other in a contest, even if they are the same size. As can be seen, the amateur Muay Thai fighter who knocked Lucia Rijker out was actually smaller than she was.

Are there excellent female fighters who can handle men outside of a sporting contest? Yes! I’ve trained with a couple of women like that. One of them was back in my Kenpo days. She was a small-framed black belt who was confident but very humble, and she could give my Kenpo teacher, who sparred roughly with anybody, a tough time (she even gave him a black eye once). And she did it all without having a chip on her shoulder. She helped me a lot as a kid, dealing with all the bigger opponents in sparring, and showed me how to get my head movement down. I have no doubt she could have handled herself in many real-life situations, if she absolutely had to.

I’ve read about an incident of a drunk, small-framed woman in a nightclub who took down a big bouncer in real life (not a sporting contest), with a single kick to the groin with the pointy toe of her high-heeled shoe, because the guy was being patronizing and underestimated her. Reportedly, his eyes rolled up and he sank to the floor, curled into a fetal position, where he remained for a long time.

As I always say, “Never underestimate anyone.” That is why, whether your street attacker is a male or a female of any size, age, etc.; if you have absolutely no choice but to physically defend yourself, IMO, do not go easy on anyone until the threat is over. Do not become a victim because you underestimated someone due to their size, age, race, “baby face,” or sex.

https://youtu.be/oHS6tYAbAdw

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Female athletes in all sports have gotten better. There is no way that I would want to step in the ring with a top flight female boxer or martial arts practitioner.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:15 pm
Female athletes in all sports have gotten better. There is no way that I would want to step in the ring with a top flight female boxer or martial arts practitioner.

Same here. I've always laughed at guys who say, "There isn't a woman alive who can beat me." Or “Women just can’t beat men in fights.” It smacks of ignorance. And most of the guys who say that aren't exactly physical specimens themselves. There are ladies out there who can wipe the floor with a lot of guys.

There was a party where this tall drunk guy said exactly that, and after mouthing off like that and saying it to a Samoan girl, she grabbed him by the throat and lifted him up against a wall with one hand, his feet off the floor, and she asked him, "You were saying?"

That said, I still don't like the idea of sanctioned male vs female bouts. I'm talking about two comparably-trained individuals, not a highly-trained female fighter versus a Joe Schmoe couch potato or an emaciated Poindexter. All else (weight, conditioning, training, etc.) being equal, it's just not a good idea, IMO, and there is no potential benefit in it for either the man or the woman. None for the man, for the reasons I mentioned in my last post; and potentially dangerous for the woman, considering the increased danger of head trauma and developing CTE.

Jim