Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

Post by James Y »

Thanks for sharing those! It's always great to put a face to a member whose posts I read.

Also interesting to see Dan Inosanto's childhood home. Who would have guessed that a boy who grew up there would go on to become one of the world's most famous martial arts masters? On a side note, Inosanto was also the man who taught Bruce Lee the nunchaku.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Myself in top pic, and my friend Kuo Cheng-Ting in bottom pic. Taipei, Taiwan, 1986.

Kuo Cheng-Ting was a senior classmate of mine, and was one of the most genuinely humble martial artists I ever met. He also had the BEST and most explosive Chang Quan (Long Fist) I’ve ever seen, period, to this very day. He was one of the only Long Fist people I’d ever met who could actually fight with the style at a high level, actually applying the moves. Even experienced martial artists and fighters from other countries were often in awe when they saw him move. It wasn’t flashiness; he simply moved with incredible grace, flow, and explosive power. But he told me he hated it when people admired his form (which happened often), and if he overheard them talking about it, or if they asked him about it, he would stop practicing until they stopped looking at him and went away.

I asked him to spar. Once. Right after we started, he suddenly shot in, dropped down fluidly into a single-leg crouch stance and came right up under me, hitting my groin with his shoulder as he came up, lifting my body a bit and dropping me on my back. That’s a movement you always see in Long Fist forms, but I had NEVER seen anybody who could actually apply it for real. His Kung Fu was definitely NOT “Hua Quan/Xiu Tui” (“Flowery Fist/ Embroidery Leg”), an expression that refers to Kung Fu that is flowery and pretty to look at, but has no substance. I got up again to square off, but his movement was very fluid, unconventional, and confusing to me. He had not struck my groin out of malice; I soon learned that’s just the way he trained himself to fight (i.e., with aggressive power and full commitment). It was like fighting a man-sized cat. I felt that if we continued, one of us (meaning MYSELF) was going to get hurt. So I bowed out. This was very unusual for me, because I used to love sparring with almost anyone I could. But I think I made the right decision. As the old saying goes, “styles make fights.”

Kuo Cheng-Ting was a perfect example of “Never Underestimate Anybody.” If he were just standing there, most people would assume he was a stereotypical scholar who couldn’t fight his way out of a wet paper bag. That would have been a big mistake. An observant person might have noticed the way he carried himself, and the look in his eyes.

He and I remained friends until I left Taiwan many years later. Last I heard, he was a university professor in Taiwan.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:34 pm
Thanks for sharing those! It's always great to put a face to a member whose posts I read.

Also interesting to see Dan Inosanto's childhood home. Who would have guessed that a boy who grew up there would go on to become one of the world's most famous martial arts masters? On a side note, Inosanto was also the man who taught Bruce Lee the nunchaku.

Jim
I enjoy your photos just as much. Everything reveals culture. I have never been to Taiwan and it would be nice to go.

Yea, everyone has a name and a face now! :D Now I have to be extra good... :o

Those pics had been scanned years ago. What I have to do now is to locate other images and scan them for posting.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:05 pm
James Y wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:34 pm

Jim
I enjoy your photos just as much. Everything reveals culture. I have never been to Taiwan and it would be nice to go.

Yea, everyone has a name and a face now! :D Now I have to be extra good... :o

Those pics had been scanned years ago. What I have to do now is to locate other images and scan them for posting.

Thanks! And I’m glad you’re enjoying my pics. I’m not sure how much Taiwan has changed since I left 28 years ago. I’m sure a lot. Before I went there for the first time in 1984, some people here in the States thought I might not do well there, because my ancestry (not my nationality) is Japanese. But in truth, when people found out my ancestry, if they couldn’t already tell from my appearance, it was never an issue. I experienced lots of hospitality there, many people inviting me into their homes for dinner. In fact, my first two weeks there, I lived with a Taiwanese family who invited me into their home and helped me a lot in getting started over there. They always wanted to be sure I wasn’t getting a raw deal on anything. Would that happen to the same degree for just anyone? Probably not. I honestly believe I was blessed in many ways.

If you ever do go to Taiwan, the summers are extremely hot and humid. Especially in the city of Taipei, which sits in a kind of natural ‘bowl’. And there is typhoon season. The only relief from the summer heat and humidity came with the rainstorms, or the days preceding a typhoon, when everything would clear up beautifully. I seem to recall the most comfortable months weather-wise were October and November.

I’m looking forward to more of your photos! :)

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Taipei, Taiwan; 1985.

Top photo: With my teacher, Gao Daosheng and a senior classmate.

Bottom photo: With some of my senior classmates. My friend Kuo Cheng-Ting is standing on the far right.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Taiwan, 1986.

Top photo: Me in “Tanglang Bu Chan” (Praying Mantis Catching Cicada) pose, with a student from Japan, in Karate pose. He was a Shotokan Karate sensei in Japan who also studied Kung Fu.

Note: This Mantis-style pose is NOT a fighting stance; it’s a stylized representation of a multi-faceted fighting application that, among other things, can involve controlling the opponent’s arm (wrist, elbow, etc.). It is the most famous, characteristic pose in the Northern Mantis style; but unlike how it’s presented in the movies (or in non-traditional, standardized, performance Wushu forms), it is not meant to be a fighting stance or a ready posture. In reality, it was never intended to keep the hands in “Mantis Hook” position as a ‘guard’. Those who do that (outside of the movies) are misinterpreting the form and taking it out of context. The ‘hook’ hand mainly represents a grasping and holding, especially with the rear hand. Many of the movements and postures seen in Chinese martial arts (CMA) forms are symbolic, and the actual meanings or applications are often hidden.

Bottom photo: The Japanese student with a broadsword/saber, or ‘single knife’ (in Mandarin, ‘Dan Dao; in Cantonese, ‘Darn Do’; Spyderco calls their version the ‘Darn Dao’), and me with a straight sword (in Mandarin, ‘Jian’; in Cantonese, ‘Gim’). The difference being that the broadsword is curved, single-edged, and is a ‘knife’, while the ‘sword’ is always straight and double-edged.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Lee Morrison: Using a Nonviolent Posture.

https://youtu.be/Rsiu3gC4_wg

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Taipei, Taiwan.

L: Side thrust kick. May ‘85.

R: Me (on the left) with senior classmates outside of Kung Fu school. Nov. ‘85.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

San Diego, CA., 2003.

Me, demonstrating an application of “Pau Kuen” (“Leopard Fist”), from the Choy Lee Fut system, with one of my students. I taught the CLF system to my own group of students from 2002 to 2006.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Tim Larkin interviews Marc MacYoung, Parts 1 & 2.

Marc MacYoung was among the very first writers of “reality self-defense” books I ever read, starting back in the 1990s. I actually found his early Paladin books on sale at a popular novelty shop that my older brother used to manage. Back then, he was credited as Marc “Animal” MacYoung. Up to that point, his works were the best I’d ever seen on the subject of violence, not only physically, but more importantly, from a psychological standpoint, as well as the consequences/aftermath of violence. He has evolved since then, and IMO, his work has gotten even better. His knowledge is absolutely essential, and is worth taking notes on (and/or multiple listenings).

https://youtu.be/ZvcUdPTKnWg

https://youtu.be/gUOq6DEeSM8

Jim
york

Post by york »

James Y wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:37 pm
Tim Larkin interviews Marc MacYoung, Parts 1 & 2.

Marc MacYoung was among the very first writers of “reality self-defense” books I ever read, starting back in the 1990s. I actually found his early Paladin books on sale at a popular novelty shop that my older brother used to manage. Back then, he was credited as Marc “Animal” MacYoung. Up to that point, his works were the best I’d ever seen on the subject of violence, not only physically, but more importantly, from a psychological standpoint, as well as the consequences/aftermath of violence. He has evolved since then, and IMO, his work has gotten even better. His knowledge is absolutely essential, and is worth taking notes on (and/or multiple listenings).

https://youtu.be/ZvcUdPTKnWg

https://youtu.be/gUOq6DEeSM8

Jim
It was interesting to see, thanks
James Y

Post by James Y »

San Diego, CA; February, 1995.

Me in a single-legged Fu Jow (Tiger Claw) pose, from the Choy Lee Fut system.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I keep saying it so it must be true....I'll get more pics up soon.

My gray hair is almost as long right now! I plan to cut it this week. In the 70's I had long hair too and it used to stick out the bottom of my hockey helmet.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:29 pm
I keep saying it so it must be true....I'll get more pics up soon.

My gray hair is almost as long right now! I plan to cut it this week. In the 70's I had long hair too and it used to stick out the bottom of my hockey helmet.

For the past several months, I’ve been shaving my head down to 1/8” every 2 weeks, once I gained the confidence to cut my own hair. In the past, I used to let my hair grow longer, but I no longer find it comfortable. I also rarely allow my beard to grow for too long anymore, because it’s mostly gray now. I started noticing my beard graying a few years ago. My head hair is still mostly black, though. When I’m clean-shaven, I look 15 to 20 years younger than my actual age. I’m 58, but am still rarely mistaken for over 40 (I got carded regularly when I used to visit drinking establishments, until my mid-30s).

However, I do NOT subscribe to the common belief that my still looking young is due to being Asian. People often say that when they find out my true age, but I think that’s a myth. I have seen many examples to the contrary. It all depends on the individual.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Taipei, Taiwan.

Left: Side thrust kick (Nov. 1985).

Right: Chang Quan (Long Fist) posture, from a Cha Quan set (circa June 1988). Cha Quan (Cha’s Fist) is a form of Chang Quan that originated among China’s Hui Muslim minority.

*Sorry for the poor pic quality/angle; for some reason, these pics were difficult to capture clearly side by side, without too much reflection.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Top photo: Group photo with Peng Han-Ping, my second Tanglang Quan (Praying Mantis style) teacher in Taiwan. (Yangmingshan,Taiwan, 1989).

Sifu Peng had many students; these were only some of them, who were mostly from one of the university Kung Fu clubs he taught. He also had many foreign students. I’m standing 4th from the right. To my right and in front of me is Sifu Peng’s wife, standing next to Sifu Peng.

Front row, kneeling 2nd from the left and making the double ‘peace’ signs is my senior classmate/friend Huang Jing. Huang Jing was nearly the same age I was, but still looked like a teenager. She was a tomboy who always had a smile on her face, but don’t let that fool you; she was (and still is) extremely serious about martial arts. Her father had been a well-known martial artist in Taiwan. She trained hard, and she could handle herself quite well. She hit hard, and with ferocity. She was another example of “never underestimate anyone.”

Bottom photo: Sifu Peng Han-Ping demonstrating a Mantis strike/takedown, with my classmate/friend Steve, who was from New Jersey (Taipei, Taiwan, 1989).

Sifu Peng Han-Ping was only a year or two older than I was, but he had been training for a long time, had learned from several famous teachers, had been teaching for years, and he was one of the most naturally-gifted martial artists I’ve ever seen. He also really knew how to teach/convey principles of movement, power generation, and applications. His method of teaching was a big influence on the way I taught my own students years later, even though I ended up teaching a different style (Choy Lee Fut). Sadly, Sifu Peng died in a tragic motorcycle accident in 1999, at the age of 37, about six years after I left Taiwan. I was informed by my friend Steve, pictured below, with Sifu Peng.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

52 Blocks, with Diallo Frazier.

52 Blocks is an African-American martial art. I first heard of 52 Blocks sometime back in the ‘90s. But I’d only heard of it by name. As with any martial arts system, there are regional differences. I know nothing about it, other than the tiny bit I’m seeing here and some other YT vids. IMO, it’s extremely important to be aware of what is out there, whether you study it or not.

https://youtu.be/AQnDfGIsrdw

https://youtu.be/ozabo-X0Khc

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The issue in me getting more images up is that I'm not using the PC where the images are. I live in a 2 story house and due to the heat on the 2nd floor during the Summer, I'm spending all of my days downstairs.

I'll get up there eventually!
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:56 pm
The issue in me getting more images up is that I'm not using the PC where the images are. I live in a 2 story house and due to the heat on the 2nd floor during the Summer, I'm spending all of my days downstairs.

I'll get up there eventually!

Keep yourself comfortable, Naperville. Your pics are welcome anytime. :)

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Tim Larkin interview: Marc MacYoung, Parts 3 & 4.

Vital info on dealing with the legal aftermath of self-defense.

I’ve read MacYoung’s book, What You Don’t Know Can Kill You, as well as another of his books, In The Name Of Self-Defense. Anyone interested in the subject of SD should read them.

Part 3:

https://youtu.be/YltdsZtqcXw

Part 4:

https://youtu.be/HZ3HwmCJDrM

Jim