Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

Post by James Y »

I’m posting this video because there are some people who post on some other forums who almost seem to discount the danger of knives (i.e., it can just be taken away from you; it’s not really effective, etc.). Sure, in real situations, it seems fairly common for some people to accidentally drop their knives under stress, but I haven’t seen any footage yet myself where someone actually disarmed a knife from someone who wasn’t already being held down by more than one person. Even then, it’s dangerous.

This incident happened in Amsterdam. Reportedly, the deceased 29 year old victim had been a known drug dealer and thief with a criminal record. The man with the knife was 49 years old, and reportedly also had a criminal record. There is no mention of how the confrontation started. It looks like the victim, who can be seen parking his bike on the sidewalk just prior to the incident, thought he was going to have an easy time against the other guy, until the knife became obvious.

The person who posted the video gives an analysis of should-haves and shouldn’t-haves. It’s always easy to be a “Monday morning quarterback”. It’s a lot different when you’re the one in the stress of a situation. That said, his observations are 100% correct. The victim stupidly kept trying to get back to his bike, instead of just fleeing. It cost him his life. After the fatal blow, it took approximately 14 seconds for him to collapse.

https://youtu.be/UDcF72DzP6I

Jim
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Wow just wow.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Guy wins a fight after being stabbed.

I am posting videos like this one (and the last one), because they show how real attacks developed. Luckily, the result in this incident was different from the one in the last video. Always be wary of someone who has one or both hands out of sight.

https://youtu.be/hPrVxSAeo-A

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Inward foot sweep/leg sweep used while thwarting gas station robbery.

https://youtu.be/adnlt6onLGI

The inward foot sweep has long been one of my favorite supplemental techniques. Not only is it found in Judo, but it’s also found in Japanese Karate styles like Shito-ryu and Shotokan.

Similar techniques are also found in various Chinese Kung Fu systems, except they commonly ‘hook’ and pull the ankle in addition to sweeping.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Weapon deployment thwarted with pin and pre-emptive strikes.

The bearded man was in the process of pulling a knife. To anyone who is unaware of the situation, it would mistakenly appear as if the puncher had committed an unprovoked attack.

https://youtu.be/rHVgdhgI_8w

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Power Slap

I think I mentioned the power slap or street slap earlier in this thread. Back in my younger, stupider days (in my 20s), I KO’d two different guys with a single slap in stupid fights I’d allowed myself to be drawn into. The slaps in question were not ‘soap opera slaps’ or ‘insult slaps,’ nor were they some strategy to ‘make someone mad so they’ll make a mistake’. In real life, there is no time for playing around. I know from first-hand experience how effective a power slap can be, and my discovery came about almost by accident. I slapped them because I didn’t want to be accused of using closed-fisted punches, yet the effect was greater, with less effort.

It turns out that KO power slaps are a well-known weapon among many experienced street fighters the world over. It’s mostly average people, martial artists, and combat sports athletes who underestimate the power and effect of a proper power slap in a real (i.e., non-sporting) fight/self-defense. Which, if applied correctly, can often result in a one-shot KO, with less effort and less risk of injury to your hand than a closed-fisted, forefist knuckle punch. If it doesn’t result in an immediate KO, it’s easy enough to follow up with something more, if necessary.

Bas Rutten favored a palm heel hook to the head. There are similarities in the delivery, but the power slap makes contact with the whole flat of the palm. It can also be done with very little windup.

https://youtu.be/xdCiy_kA7FU

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Karate “high block” (rising block), offensive application.

The rising block (“Age-Uke” in Japanese Karate) is commonly taught not only for high downward attacks, but often for straight punches to the head. When I trained Japanese Shito-ryu Karate as a kid, that never made any sense to me. Especially for a straight punch to the face, if your timing isn’t 100% perfect, you’re going to eat fist, especially if your attacker is punching in combination, or punching in at an angle.

Although it’s been decades since I’ve practiced Karate, virtually the same technique exists in Tanglangquan (Mantis style), and some other Kung Fu systems. Some years ago, I was made aware that with a slight variation of the angle of delivery, this upward, rising “block” is actually an offensive strike delivered in more of a forward-moving, slightly upward angle, to the side of the neck. From that perspective it makes much more sense. If done right, the power behind this strike is phenomenal. Although I have never actually struck anybody with this movement ‘for real,’ it’s been incorporated into my “tool set.”

Nigel Lee, the man demonstrating in this first video, calls it the “head block.” I’m not sure how beneficial it is for a teacher to be striking his student like this. It’s not good (and is potentially dangerous) for the student, especially if the student happens to have an underlying medical condition, or is simply getting struck like this a lot, particularly to the neck area. And the effects from jarring of the brain accumulate and can result in CTE. It’s also not particularly difficult to hurt or KO a person who is only helping you, as the instructor, to demonstrate the technique. Nevertheless, the concept he’s showing is 100% legit.

https://youtu.be/BnS0_bBM8mk

This next video is old; it shows an offensive application of either the rising block, or an edge-of-hand chop, to the neck. It’s a little hard to tell which, though his hand was open. Either way, it was effective. The forearm strike to the neck from a “rising block” is similar to a chop, but closer in, and with more body weight behind it. The closer I rewatch this, it looks more like an outward chop.

https://youtu.be/vhavpBocyow

Jim
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Thanks James for a Wonderful thread... and I commend your years of study... and wisdom.. For me my involvement in martial arts spans 64 years now, been teaching for 47 years.. I’ll do my best to remember everything lol
Karate, Japanese, Okinawa , Go ju Ryu, Isshinryu, Shorin Ryu, Tastsu Ryu ( 1st, 6th and 8th degree black belt)
Judo (black belt)
Filipino Stick and Dagger Fighting (expert) Lanada system
Boxing
Kick Boxing
Wrestling
Jujitsu
Five Animal Shaolin Kung Fu ( master level instructor) Hong Cha Kung Fu Kung, Lung Ha Pai Dragon Tiger clan)
Sun style Tai Chi Chuan (master)
Chen style Tai Chi Chuan (master)
Wu Style Tai Chi Chuan
Yang style Tai Chi Chuan
Hsing-l Kung fu
Pa kua Chang Kung fu
Northern Eagle Claw Kung fu
Bok Pai ( White Crane Kung Fu)
Chin-Na (Chinese grappling)
18 Chinese Classical Weapons to include sword spear, pole, 3,5 7, 9 sectional steel whip chains etc...
Haganah (Israeli martial arts)
Penchant Silat
Various form of American and Indonesian forms of knife fighting
RGEI Pikal knife fighting instructor
Bowie knife fighting instructor
Defensive tactics and Firearms Instructor for Federal and State Law enforcement agencies and agents...
Some exposure to Northern Praying Mantis, Choy Lee Fut, Drunkard Forms, and Northern Long Fist Kung Fu... I think that be it... but I know I’m missing some... but then again I’m old!!!
After 64 years involvement I can say this... It’s all good!!!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

If I was 15 and was starting out today I'd study a Cabales or Giron escrima system, judo, and bjj. If you get to graduate or reach black belt level in those 3 systems, you're pretty much unbeatable by anyone your size, 95% of the time.

I started early, but was more involved in playing ice hockey as a youth, then college and work.

This is just my opinion.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:28 pm
Thanks James for a Wonderful thread... and I commend your years of study... and wisdom.. For me my involvement in martial arts spans 64 years now, been teaching for 47 years.. I’ll do my best to remember everything lol
Karate, Japanese, Okinawa , Go ju Ryu, Isshinryu, Shorin Ryu, Tastsu Ryu ( 1st, 6th and 8th degree black belt)
Judo (black belt)
Boxing
Kick Boxing
Wrestling
Jujitsu
Five Animal Shaolin Kung Fu ( master level instructor) Hong Cha Kung Fu Kung, Lung Ha Pai Dragon Tiger clan)
Wu Style Tai Chi Chuan
Yang style Tai Chi Chuan
Hsing-l Kung fu
Pa kua Chang Kung fu
18 Chinese Classical Weapons to include sword spear, pole, 3,5 7, 9 sectional steel whip chains etc...
Penchant Silat
Defensive tactics and Firearms Instructor for Federal and State Law enforcement agencies and agents...
Some exposure to Northern Praying Mantis, Choy Lee Fut, Drunkard Forms, and Northern Long Fist Kung Fu... I think that be it... but I know I’m missing some... but then again I’m old!!!

Wow! :eek: Thank you for sharing, Dr. Snubnose! What an amazing lifetime of martial arts experience!

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:44 pm
If I was 15 and was starting out today I'd study a Cabales or Giron escrima system, judo, and bjj. If you get to graduate or reach black belt level in those 3 systems, you're pretty much unbeatable by anyone your size, 95% of the time.

I started early, but was more involved in playing ice hockey as a youth, then college and work.

This is just my opinion.

I never did much Filipino martial arts. I did a bit of Modern Arnis for awhile, which I (along with my Kenpo teacher) learned at a seminar given by Remy Presas back in 1981. My Kenpo teacher was already skilled at Escrima, which he also taught separately from Kenpo, but for whatever reasons I never really got into it. Great arts, just not my cup of tea, I guess, especially at the age I was at.

Back then (‘70s and into the early ‘80s), it seemed like a number of Kenpo and Kajukenbo teachers in California also practiced Escrima or Arnis.

Jim
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

James Y wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:39 am
Dr. Snubnose wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:28 pm
Judo (black belt)
Boxing
Kick Boxing
Wrestling
Jujitsu
Wu Style Tai Chi Chuan
Yang style Tai Chi Chuan
Hsing-l Kung fu
Pa kua Chang Kung fu
Penchant Silat

Wow! :eek: Thank you for sharing, Dr. Snubnose! What an amazing lifetime of martial arts experience!

Jim
I think doc forgot to mention tomahawks. I know he knows how to use 'em because we talked about me getting some instructions on how to practice. I just never got around to getting some 'hawks.
James Y

Post by James Y »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:27 am
I think doc forgot to mention tomahawks. I know he knows how to use 'em because we talked about me getting some instructions on how to practice. I just never got around to getting some 'hawks.

Wow again! At this point, the question is less about which martial arts Dr. Snubnose has studied or been exposed to, and more about which ones hasn’t he studied! I’m very interested in the experiences Doc has to share!

Much respect.

Jim
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

James Y wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:01 am

Wow again! At this point, the question is less about which martial arts Dr. Snubnose has studied or been exposed to, and more about which ones hasn’t he studied! I’m very interested in the experiences Doc has to share!

Much respect.

Jim
You should have seen his epic pocket dumps before. He has done some consulting for some PD's about concealed carrying which I consider part of modern martial arts. Let's just say modern ninjas. :D

I hope he chimes in about that part of his expertise.
James Y

Post by James Y »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:14 pm
James Y wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:01 am

Much respect.

Jim
You should have seen his epic pocket dumps before. He has done some consulting for some PD's about concealed carrying which I consider part of modern martial arts. Let's just say modern ninjas. :D

I hope he chimes in about that part of his expertise.

Me too, That would be cool to read about. Thanks, Chuck.

Jim
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

My pockets are stilled filled! As soon as I can figure out how to post pics here again... we can all laugh....
James Y

Post by James Y »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:47 am
My pockets are stilled filled! As soon as I can figure out how to post pics here again... we can all laugh....

I’m looking forward to that, Doc...

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Sifu Gaspar Garcia (1955 - 2018).

Gaspar Garcia was my senior-most Kung Fu brother (classmate) under my Choy Lee Fut teacher, Sifu Frank Primicias. Mr. Garcia started Choy Lee Fut (CLF) under my sifu in Los Angeles in around 1970, and developed to a high level. He later moved to San Francisco and studied the Hung Sing CLF lineage under Wong Doc-Fai, and then in Australia he studied under Grandmaster Chan Yong-Fa, the Keeper of the Chan Family lineage of CLF. Mr. Garcia moved to Spain, where he lived and taught, as well as having pioneered the CLF system and qigong throughout Europe, parts of Latin America, Africa, and Japan. He was also a licensed acupuncturist.

He trained under Sifu Primicias much earlier than I did. I got to meet and train with him only a couple of times, when he came to participate with us in a 2001 seminar here, and again in 2003, when he came back to give a seminar of his own. He and my sifu remained close throughout the years. He was a great person, an outstanding martial artist; and in his younger days, he was a beast of a fighter.

The first video below is a tribute to him by one of his students. At about 1:15, he is shown standing alongside his first (and my) Sifu, Frank Primicias. At 1:24 he is shown with Wong Doc-Fai. At 1:28 he is posing with Grandmaster Chan Yong-Fa; and at 1:40 he is with both Sifu Primicias and Grandmaster Chan.

In the second video, he is demonstrating one of the basic combinations found in CLF, Gua/Tsop-Sau Choi (sweeping backfist/straight punch, sweeping punch).

https://youtu.be/WRAmBt1nQEE

https://youtu.be/wH9kAeE4SsE

Jim
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:47 am
Is that a .357 or are you just happy to see me? :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Always two... in the groin holster ...for sense of balance... and aesthetics...