Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
OrangeShoes

Re: Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

Post by OrangeShoes »

Guys do you mind to share good fighting scenes of Donnie Yen apart from IP Man? Much appreciated. Thanks!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

OrangeShoes wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:51 am
Guys do you mind to share good fighting scenes of Donnie Yen apart from IP Man? Much appreciated. Thanks!
There's actually another thread for that kind of stuff.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=84255
James Y

Post by James Y »

OrangeShoes wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:51 am

As VashHash pointed out, check out the “Favorite Movie Fight Scenes” thread. There are fight scenes from a few of the non-Ip Man Donnie Yen movies, including on page 1, which the link VashHash posted takes you directly to. It’s a big thread, so you’ll have to search through that thread for some others. I’ve also posted scenes from his first and second movies. Donnie Yen has been in a lot of movies over his 35-plus-year career; some great, and some not-so-great.

There are numerous postings in the movie thread featuring many other old-school kung fu movie actors/performers who were *at least* as talented as Donnie Yen, even if they aren’t as well-known nowadays as Donnie Yen by most younger people today.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

“Judo Jymnastics”

I find these old self-defense demo films to be highly entertaining. I can imagine Mary Parker saying, “Come on, Big Boy, show me what you’ve got,” in a Mae West voice.

https://youtu.be/SbFtFaNkXCc

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

U.S. Army’s Basic Hand to Hand Fighting of World War 1.

A combination of boxing, Judo/Jujutsu, and bayonet combat.

https://youtu.be/ga4zLsMmkE0

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

“And Now Today...Self-Defence” (1928)

https://youtu.be/x9nleLLHt1U

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

1917; Bayonet Fighting Against Newly-Invented Practice Dummy (Great Britain).

https://youtu.be/V04YKFL7NTg

Jim
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:07 pm
“Judo Jymnastics”

I find these old self-defense demo films to be highly entertaining. I can imagine Mary Parker saying, “Come on, Big Boy, show me what you’ve got,” in a Mae West voice.

Jim
I really enjoyed watching this video. My Father actually met my Mother in one of these "Judo Self Defense" classes for Women. I can't help but think everything was labeled "Judo" back then. But it shows some of the more real life self defense moves they were teaching. My Mother told me that they also taught her things like using her keys as a weapon. Or if a guy came behind her to use the heel of her shoe to dig in and gouge all the way along the shin down into the foot.
James Y

Post by James Y »

cbrstar wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:57 pm
James Y wrote:
“Judo Jymnastics”

Jim
I really enjoyed watching this video. My Father actually met my Mother in one of these "Judo Self Defense" classes for Women. I can't help but think everything was labeled "Judo" back then. But it shows some of the more real life self defense moves they were teaching. My Mother told me that they also taught her things like using her keys as a weapon. Or if a guy came behind her to use the heel of her shoe to dig in and gouge all the way along the shin down into the foot.

Thanks for sharing that.

Supposedly, Mary Parker (the woman in the film) was well-known in Judo/Jujutsu circles during that time period.

My dad had earned a 2nd-degree black belt in Judo while incarcerated in one of the Japanese-American internment camps in Poston, Arizona during WW2. He was the first person to informally show me some martial arts/self-defense moves when I was 10. The stuff he showed me included ‘dirty’ fighting. I’m sure he knew some stuff he never showed me. Right after the war, he and his five brothers got into some street fights, mostly against groups of Filipino-American bullies who were targeting Japanese-Americans, and my dad and uncles (who also possessed “farm boy strength” from having grown up working on my grandpa’s produce farm) always came out on top. The stuff my dad showed me allowed me to fight back against a bully for the first time in my life at school, and the bully ended up unconscious for maybe half a minute. Luckily, he recovered, and I avoided getting into any trouble.

Older, pre-WW2 Judo was actually interchangeable with Jujutsu/Jiu-Jitsu, and included more than you see now in the Olympic-style Judo. Judo is actually a more modernized branch of Jujutsu.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

A simple little ‘game’.

If you have a young child (if it suits their mindset), hand him/her a red Sharpie pen/marker; tell the child you will try to take it from them, but not to let you. Tell them to mark you up as much as they can, and they will win if they can keep you from disarming them for X-amount of time (maybe 20 seconds or so). Maybe offer a small reward as an incentive. Meanwhile, you’re trying to take it away. You are wearing a white shirt or sweatshirt. Indicate to them beforehand where they can mark you; hands, arms, thighs, torso, wherever...but for safety’s sake, not the neck or face. They can hold it in an ice pick grip, a saber grip, or whatever feels comfortable to them, as long as their grip on it is solid. Make it a game. Then see how it turns out.

Depending on how much the child is into it, and is intent on keeping the pen away from you and marking you up with it, you may find it’s not so easy. You will eventually disarm them, but how many marks will you have received? Now, pretend that each mark is a cut or a stab wound from a knife.

This is a pretty decent representation of what could happen if trying to disarm someone armed with a knife, who is determined to use it and not willing to let you take it from them.

One man, who is big and strong (and, IIRC, a LEO), tried this exercise with his young daughter, who was quite young (maybe 9; her age was not in the double digits). It took him awhile to get the pen away from her, and in the meantime, she marked him up pretty good, especially on his hands and arms. Had it been a determined kid or adult with a knife, the wounds would have been significant. Even more so if the person was in a rage.

It’s a good reality check for those who think that taking a knife away from someone who is determined is easy. Even someone who is NOT trained in knife combatives.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

James Y wrote:
“Judo Jymnastics”

Jim

Interesting ballet, especially when you have a non-aggressive very cooperative athletic sparring partner in front of a friendly audience.

Imagine her alone facing a bigger-frame bigger-hands stronger-bones stronger-muscles real aggressive male - maybe he even killed before - really wanting to hurt her.

I'm not even thinking about a real knife in his hands :D
vivi

Post by vivi »

James Y wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:02 pm
A simple little ‘game’.

If you have a young child (if it suits their mindset), hand him/her a red Sharpie pen/marker; tell the child you will try to take it from them, but not to let you. Tell them to mark you up as much as they can, and they will win if they can keep you from disarming them for X-amount of time (maybe 20 seconds or so). Maybe offer a small reward as an incentive. Meanwhile, you’re trying to take it away. You are wearing a white shirt or sweatshirt. Indicate to them beforehand where they can mark you; hands, arms, thighs, torso, wherever...but for safety’s sake, not the neck or face. They can hold it in an ice pick grip, a saber grip, or whatever feels comfortable to them, as long as their grip on it is solid. Make it a game. Then see how it turns out.

Depending on how much the child is into it, and is intent on keeping the pen away from you and marking you up with it, you may find it’s not so easy. You will eventually disarm them, but how many marks will you have received? Now, pretend that each mark is a cut or a stab wound from a knife.

This is a pretty decent representation of what could happen if trying to disarm someone armed with a knife, who is determined to use it and not willing to let you take it from them.

One man, who is big and strong (and, IIRC, a LEO), tried this exercise with his young daughter, who was quite young (maybe 9; her age was not in the double digits). It took him awhile to get the pen away from her, and in the meantime, she marked him up pretty good, especially on his hands and arms. Had it been a determined kid or adult with a knife, the wounds would have been significant. Even more so if the person was in a rage.

It’s a good reality check for those who think that taking a knife away from someone who is determined is easy. Even someone who is NOT trained in knife combatives.

Jim
I've had knives pulled on me a few times when I worked security. Sure as **** never tried disarming the perp.

There was one time a guy pulled a small Kershaw on me, maybe a Leek, and I happened to have my Street Bowie on me. Thought about pulling a crocodile dundee for a split second, then wiser brain cells took over :p
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:33 pm
James Y wrote:
A simple little ‘game’.

Jim
I've had knives pulled on me a few times when I worked security. Sure as **** never tried disarming the perp.

There was one time a guy pulled a small Kershaw on me, maybe a Leek, and I happened to have my Street Bowie on me. Thought about pulling a crocodile dundee for a split second, then wiser brain cells took over :p

Thanks for sharing! So what was the outcome?

I mention ‘disarming,’ because I’ve heard some martial artists (including an MMA trainer) saying they would just take a knife away if someone pulled one on them. Like taking candy from a baby. Or the many people who say that someone could just take a knife away from YOU. Unless the person with the knife is bluffing and really has no desire to use it, attempting to disarm anyone armed with a knife is extremely dangerous, even if the knife wielder is NOT trained in knife combatives. Apparently, lots of people have been influenced by old Steven Seagal films and think it’s easy.

Jim
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Some people even believe they would see a knife to begin with.
vivi

Post by vivi »

James Y wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:44 pm
vivi wrote:
James Y wrote:
A simple little ‘game’.

Jim

I mention ‘disarming,’ because I’ve heard some martial artists (including an MMA trainer) saying they would just take a knife away if someone pulled one on them. Like taking candy from a baby. Or the many people who say that someone could just take a knife away from YOU. Unless the person with the knife is bluffing and really has no desire to use it, attempting to disarm anyone armed with a knife is extremely dangerous, even if the knife wielder is NOT trained in knife combatives. Apparently, lots of people have been influenced by old Steven Seagal films and think it’s easy.

Jim
The outcome was never anything heroic, but I'm here to tell you about it at least ;)

The last time it happened was the Kershaw guy. It was a weekend night at a bar where I worked a 2nd job. I immediately created distance between him and me, told all the patrons on the patio to go inside, grabbed a bar stool to defend myself with and got out my phone and dialed 911. It was a spot known for trouble so cops were always nearby, usually 2 minute response times.

At this point he was about 15-20' away from me across the parking lot and hadn't tried torun up on me, was just pacing waving the knife around like a moron. While I waited I talked **** to the guy saying how hes getting thrown in jail over getting kicked out of a crappy bar etc. Starts to sink in when he heard the dispatcher on speaker phone that he f'd up, so he tossed the knife in some bushes and started walking away briskly. Cops showed up before he made it 50' and arrested him and banned him from the property.

That situation was scary because I couldn't just run away, I had a bunch of people I felt responsible for. It went amazingly well considering all the possible outcomes. If he had charged me I can't say for certain what my reaction would be.

The best way to win a knife fight is not to get in one.
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:07 pm
James Y wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:44 pm
vivi wrote:
James Y wrote:
A simple little ‘game’.

Jim

Jim
The outcome was never anything heroic, but I'm here to tell you about it at least ;)

The last time it happened was the Kershaw guy. It was a weekend night at a bar where I worked a 2nd job. I immediately created distance between him and me, told all the patrons on the patio to go inside, grabbed a bar stool to defend myself with and got out my phone and dialed 911. It was a spot known for trouble so cops were always nearby, usually 2 minute response times.

At this point he was about 15-20' away from me across the parking lot and hadn't tried torun up on me, was just pacing waving the knife around like a moron. While I waited I talked **** to the guy saying how hes getting thrown in jail over getting kicked out of a crappy bar etc. Starts to sink in when he heard the dispatcher on speaker phone that he f'd up, so he tossed the knife in some bushes and started walking away briskly. Cops showed up before he made it 50' and arrested him and banned him from the property.

That situation was scary because I couldn't just run away, I had a bunch of people I felt responsible for. It went amazingly well considering all the possible outcomes. If he had charged me I can't say for certain what my reaction would be.

The best way to win a knife fight is not to get in one.

Thanks! 👍🏻 Glad it had a positive outcome.

And agreed 100% about avoiding knife fights.

A few years ago, I was watching a show covering true crime cases. This one particular episode was about a dentist who murdered his wife, I believe in a horse stall. They showed the actual murder weapon; it was a Kershaw Leek with a worn, red-anodized handle. Even small knives can be lethal.

Jim
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Disarming someone determined is like going up against an attack trained dog. It means at best you have to pick what part of yours you sacrifice while doing so. It's not real fun. Even against untrained people, yes. Knives and clubs come pretty natural to people and they really only need to be determined and have overcome or thrown away their inhibitions about hurting/striking. Most humans and humans pets have plenty of inhibitions. They sometimes lose them for various reasons. Wild animals don't have them. That's why we see 70-80 lb cats or 80-90lb wolves so easily take even large 140 lb dogs in good shape or 200 lb men. The equation changes after people/pets lose that inhibition to kill. Even humans with tiny knives ( razor blades often in prisons) kill in seconds after they get used to it. The person is dead before they stop running/fighting sometimes. :eek:

BTW, the last time I was stabbed I didn't know it at first due to the adrenaline and other hits and scratches and stuff. I just thought I was punched in the ribs in my back. I didn't know until later when I felt blood running down my body. I thought a bug was crawling on me. Obviously I was very lucky. I've seen incidents that the stabbing guy didn't stop . I honestly think I was hit by accident and the strike was intended for an inmate next to me also in a scrum of people. It was rare they tried to actually kill staff. Hurting other inmates was serious but not as serious as trying to murder staff. :0
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

There is no need to go quietly in to the good night! You attacker has the same targets on them that you have on you.

There are FREE apps for cell phones and FREE anatomy portals on YouTube that I watch for knife targeting.

Go to the Apple or Google Play Store for cellular apps and download the Grays Anatomy App. FREE

Go to Google Images and download anatomy and major blood vessel images to your desktop computer. FREE

Once you know these targets a pocket knife with the right tip, and 4 inch blade, can hit most of them.

EDIT - NOTE
I have updated my Gab Group "Edged Weapons and Applications" with links to anatomy charts.
https://gab.com/groups/4318
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:28 pm
Some people even believe they would see a knife to begin with.

Sorry, I missed your post before. Yes, you’re right.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:53 pm
Disarming someone determined is like going up against an attack trained dog. It means at best you have to pick what part of yours you sacrifice while doing so. It's not real fun. Even against untrained people, yes. Knives and clubs come pretty natural to people and they really only need to be determined and have overcome or thrown away their inhibitions about hurting/striking. Most humans and humans pets have plenty of inhibitions. They sometimes lose them for various reasons. Wild animals don't have them. That's why we see 70-80 lb cats or 80-90lb wolves so easily take even large 140 lb dogs in good shape or 200 lb men. The equation changes after people/pets lose that inhibition to kill. Even humans with tiny knives ( razor blades often in prisons) kill in seconds after they get used to it. The person is dead before they stop running/fighting sometimes. :eek:

BTW, the last time I was stabbed I didn't know it at first due to the adrenaline and other hits and scratches and stuff. I just thought I was punched in the ribs in my back. I didn't know until later when I felt blood running down my body. I thought a bug was crawling on me. Obviously I was very lucky. I've seen incidents that the stabbing guy didn't stop . I honestly think I was hit by accident and the strike was intended for an inmate next to me also in a scrum of people. It was rare they tried to actually kill staff. Hurting other inmates was serious but not as serious as trying to murder staff. :0

Thank you for sharing! I’m very glad you made it through all of that.

Yes, many people who were stabbed didn’t know they were being stabbed. I think I mentioned in an earlier post a local MMA practitioner who got stabbed to death while grappling with another guy in a parking lot fight. He most likely thought the guy was trying to punch him from underneath.

Another instance I’m aware of involved a smaller guy fighting a larger guy in an alley. The smaller guy pulled a balisong/butterfly knife and stabbed the bigger guy in the torso. The bigger guy still beat the **** out of him and threw him in a trash can and walked away before showing any effects from being stabbed.

I’ve also heard of numerous instances where people were shot fatally, but still continued to run and/or fight for various amounts of time, seemingly unaffected, before succumbing to their wounds. There was an old book written by Massad Ayoob ( IIRC, the title was either ‘In The Gravest Extreme’ or ‘The Truth About Self-Protection’) that documented many such cases.

Once, MANY years ago, on the old show COPS, they showed a dead guy who had been shot in a fight. The shooter had used a 22 pistol. The victim’s friend told the cops that the victim had been chasing after the shooter, after being shot once in the torso, and had yelled, “You can’t kill me with a *bleeping* little 22.” Then right in the middle of chasing the guy, he’d just collapsed. He was shown lying there dead with his eyes wide open. I doubt they would ever air that again, at least not without tiling out the face/body.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:41 am, edited 3 times in total.