New Members

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
VooDooChild

Re: New Members

Post by VooDooChild »

PineyBoy wrote: Ok, my opinion time:
I have been a member of many, many forums over many years. I've been here a very short time and only joined because I've spent $1000+ on Spyderco knives and thought I should check it out. Very disappointing. Friendly...I don't think so. In fact almost, if any, response to a new person post is pretty much non-existent. You want to feel like your invisible, this is the place.
Sometimes it just takes time.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PineyBoy wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:21 pm
Ok, my opinion time:
I have been a member of many, many forums over many years. I've been here a very short time and only joined because I've spent $1000+ on Spyderco knives and thought I should check it out. Very disappointing. Friendly...I don't think so. In fact almost, if any, response to a new person post is pretty much non-existent. You want to feel like your invisible, this is the place.

Sorry to hear that this is what you experienced.

Imho really not typical at all though:
Sal welcomes literally each new member (though even he might ocassionally miss one from time to time)
And I know from myself and not to few others that we do so too, when realizing that it is a new member who's posting for the first or so time.
I also tend to give a longer reply than just "welcome" to new member posts, and others do so too.

I also can remember that recently I replied to a reply you gave on a post of mine, concerning how Kapara and Endura compare. We had differing opinions on that, and I think I gave you a detailled reasoning for mine while stilm respecting yours.

So I don't think you are actually "invisible" here...?!

Anyway and again: Sorry to read that you don't feel welcomed and sure hope that will change! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Maybe we need a New Members pinned thread ?

Introduce yourself, where you’re from, tell us about your first & your most recent Spydies etc?

It’s disappointing to hear that the Forum doesn’t come across as friendly as it really is.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I lurked for almost a year before I registered. It was a giveaway that pushed me to do it. So I get where people are coming from. I only registered/posted to win a knife. It does seem shady looking back and actually saying it out loud. But I did register, and have been coming back almost everyday for almost 3 years now.

What I am trying to say is, I came for the knifes, stayed for the people.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

TazKristi wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:20 pm
Hey, everyone:
I'm struggling with this one.

Kristi
Thanks Kristi for the post and the hard work in keeping this forum running smoothly. Many may not understand how difficult it can be.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:40 am
Maybe we need a New Members pinned thread ?

Introduce yourself, where you’re from, tell us about your first & your most recent Spydies etc?
This might not be a bad idea.
It’s disappointing to hear that the Forum doesn’t come across as friendly as it really is.
I think PineyBoy is in the minority here. It's honestly a little confusing to me how someone could think this place is unfriendly and deaf to newcomers. In my short time here (2+ years) I can't remember anyone saying anything mean or unwelcoming to newbies. Quite the contrary, actually.
Not sure how we should be acting differently but I'm open to suggestions.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
James Y

Post by James Y »

Yeah, it seems to me that most newcomers are welcomed here.

You can’t take things personally if your every post isn’t replied to. A forum is for learning, sharing and enjoyment.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:11 pm

You can’t take things personally if your every post isn’t replied to. A forum is for learning, sharing and enjoyment.

Jim

Jim,

I do think the forum needs a new member welcome thread so they can introduce themselves.

As the new members posts are moderated so it could be a little time before we even see them. And if it's in a thread the posts could not even be seen by us.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:17 pm
James Y wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:11 pm

Jim

Jim,

I do think the forum needs a new member welcome thread so they can introduce themselves.

As the new members posts are moderated so it could be a little time before we even see them. And if it's in a thread the posts could not even be seen by us.

Jim
Jim, I suppose you’re right. It’s been 16 years since I joined here, and things may have been done differently back then. I was surprised that my membership here was still intact when I came back after a 14-year absence.

Jim
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I have noticed a lot of new members initial posts get lost in the shuffle sometimes, especially in a thread that's a hot topic. After moderator approvals the post may finally show up a couple pages back on whatever topic it is they may have posted in.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
funguy

Post by funguy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:37 pm
I have noticed a lot of new members initial posts get lost in the shuffle sometimes, especially in a thread that's a hot topic. After moderator approvals the post may finally show up a couple pages back on whatever topic it is they may have posted in.
This is kind of frustrating. I understand the purpose of moderating the first few posts, but it makes it hard to participate in any conversation. Does anyone know how many times you have to post before they take the leash off? lol
Spyderco: Tenacious, DLT Manix 2 (Red G10), MT27
ZT: 0566FDEBW, 0562CF, 0450CF, 0357BW
Kershaw: Link 1776GRYBW
Boker: Massdrop Blue Urban Trapper
Leatherman: PST, Charge Ti
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

If I remember correctly, I was able to post without moderator approval on my eleventh post.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

I appreciate everyone's feedback and everyone's support of our new members.

To illustrate the importance of our policy to review posts from new members, I just banned a "member" who had 14 posts - they were beyond the point of moderation. But recent posts included links to sites that were questionable. They shared an image - an appropriate image no less - but after researching it, the image wasn't theirs. They took it from an outdoor retailer who happened to use one of our knives in a lifestyle shot of a hammock they sold. It took some digging to find that one, but that's generally the idea of spammers.

Once upon a time, spammers were ALWAYS bots. But now, it's an actual industry. There are people who sit in rooms filled with computer stations (kind of like an old school call center). Since they're actual people, they can get through the normal filters (answer questions or reCAPTCHA). They post seemingly relevant content - usually focusing on an Off-Topic area of a forum (like this one). In fact, a majority of their posts will be in Off-Topic areas or subjects. They fly under the radar, but after a while (in this case after 12 posts) they start including spam links in their posts - or they edit previous posts to include a spam link. I can't imagine having that job, but they certainly do make keeping our forum safe more challenging.

I recognize the the policy of moderating new member posts is a pain all the way around. It's an imperfect system. But for now, it's the best option we have (included of course, with all of the other tools we use).

Thanks much for your continued patience and support.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Good goin Kristy!!
Sal's gonna need to give you a raise.
You just made Detective 1st Grade in my opinion.
Seriously, thank you.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:38 am
Good goin Kristy!!
Sal's gonna need to give you a raise.
You just made Detective 1st Grade in my opinion.
Seriously, thank you.
agreed. great job.

is there any way to have moderated posts show up new instead of back in the conversation where they were made so they don't get missed by people actively involved in the conversation? there's not much hope to answer a buried comment or question.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I guess we can all help by flagging up inappropriate links if we see them.

I don’t get it - the last link I would ever buy through would be a spam one, but some people must do.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Hard to believe that it would actually pay for someone to do that. What a life! :(

Thanks Kristi, you do an amazing job! :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Red

Post by Red »

Great job Kristi and thanks again for keeping this forum on the right track!
👍
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

TazKristi wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:23 am

To illustrate the importance of our policy to review posts from new members, I just banned a "member" who had 14 posts - they were beyond the point of moderation. But recent posts included links to sites that were questionable. They shared an image - an appropriate image no less - but after researching it, the image wasn't theirs. They took it from an outdoor retailer who happened to use one of our knives in a lifestyle shot of a hammock they sold. It took some digging to find that one, but that's generally the idea of spammers.

Once upon a time, spammers were ALWAYS bots. But now, it's an actual industry. There are people who sit in rooms filled with computer stations (kind of like an old school call center). Since they're actual people, they can get through the normal filters (answer questions or reCAPTCHA). They post seemingly relevant content - usually focusing on an Off-Topic area of a forum (like this one). In fact, a majority of their posts will be in Off-Topic areas or subjects. They fly under the radar, but after a while (in this case after 12 posts) they start including spam links in their posts - or they edit previous posts to include a spam link. I can't imagine having that job, but they certainly do make keeping our forum safe more challenging.

I recognize the the policy of moderating new member posts is a pain all the way around. It's an imperfect system. But for now, it's the best option we have (included of course, with all of the other tools we use).

Kristi
I thought that post looked suspect!

Thanks for doing all that you do to keep the forum free of nonsense! (well.. spam ;)) I'm not kidding when I say this is one of the best places on the internet and that is in no small part to the work you do to prevent this type of undesirable content. I think anyone here can get on-board with some delayed posts if it means keeping the degenerates away.. I certainly can!

Thanks Kristi! Happy Friday! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

TazKristi wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:23 am

Kristi

An Admins job is never done. :D :eek: