VJ Day

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ChrisinHove

VJ Day

Post by ChrisinHove »

I don’t know if it’s a thing in the USA but it is commemorated here, today. It is often referred to as the “forgotten war” as nearly all the attention and resources here was on the European theatre, even after that ended.

One old boy we knew years ago was a Chindit, the irregulars who volunteered (“through sheer bl**dy boredom”!) for long distance jungle patrols into enemy territory, and where you signed up to being left behind with a revolver and a hand grenade if you became incapacitated. After all that, he was knocked down and killed on a country lane by a drunk driver...

The Far East / Pacific war must have exceeded any other for it’s difficulty and brutality, and should not be forgotten. Any history or tales, here?
nerdlock

Re: VJ Day

Post by nerdlock »

From Southeast Asia here. Our country was occupied by the IJA for several years. We have several holidays here where we celebrate the liberation of our island (and country) by combined American, Australian forces and local guerillas. Heck, it was brutal and bloody according to history books we have here. Anyone heard of the Bataan Death March?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I sure have. My Dad and his brothers were WW2 vets. My uncles fought in Europe. My Dad was an "armed guard" on various liberty ships throughout the world, and was off the coast of Okinawa when the surrender was announced. Thankfully for them, they weren't part of the March, and God bless all who were. It has actually made the news here again after a long time of not getting any attention, but that's probably because it's been 75 years. I only know one surviving vet, not a relative. I miss those guys.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

We should never forget.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

We should never forget lest history be re-written.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

This day needs to be celebrated. The Japanese were monsters, more so than Hitler. Have any of you read The Rape of Nanking?

The Japanese fooled the simple Malays into thinking they would come in, kick out the British, then hand the kingdom over to the Malays. The told them they'd kill all of the Indians and Chinese in the country. Of course all of that was a lie, as the Malays found out much to their sorrow. They helped the Japanese come in across country to conquer the British from the rear and were subjugated for it. People had to bow to the ground and grovel before even a Japanese private when one passed by. Murder, rape, stealing, looting, slavery, and more was the reward.

In the Philippines it was the same. It is likely they murdered Emilia Earhart as there were some eye witnesses to that. I served with a Command Sgt Major who had been part of the raid on the Japanese death camp to free the prisoners. 20,000 Americans were captured and less than 500 survived that camp.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:58 am
This day needs to be celebrated. The Japanese were monsters, more so than Hitler. Have any of you read The Rape of Nanking?

The Japanese fooled the simple Malays into thinking they would come in, kick out the British, then hand the kingdom over to the Malays. The told them they'd kill all of the Indians and Chinese in the country. Of course all of that was a lie, as the Malays found out much to their sorrow. They helped the Japanese come in across country to conquer the British from the rear and were subjugated for it. People had to bow to the ground and grovel before even a Japanese private when one passed by. Murder, rape, stealing, looting, slavery, and more was the reward.

In the Philippines it was the same. It is likely they murdered Emilia Earhart as there were some eye witnesses to that. I served with a Command Sgt Major who had been part of the raid on the Japanese death camp to free the prisoners. 20,000 Americans were captured and less than 500 survived that camp.
As a Filipino, I wholeheartedly agree. Our ancestors suffered many atrocities during WW2. My late grandfather even refused to talk about his war experiences, I think he was too young then to be part of the guerilla resistance, but I'd like to think that even as a young civilian back then, he must have felt the brunt of the occupation. This is not a knock on the Japanese people nowadays, I love Japan and its culture... but I think some emphasis must also be given to the Pacific War, equal to the European front.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet