Emerson knives??

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TheRaven

Emerson knives??

Post by TheRaven »

Anyone purchase an Emerson folder lately?

I purchased a few about 8-9 years ago. I liked the designs but the fit and finish was on the poor side (l took them apart when cleaning and had trouble getting them back together due to the poor fit).

I heard Emerson’s fit and finish have improved significantly in the last few years....has the fit and finish gotten better???

Thanks

(It makes some sense that it would maybe get better...Emerson’s “wave opening” patent ended, so he can’t “ride” his patent any longer)
Naperville

Re: Emerson knives??

Post by Naperville »

I bought three of them a couple of years ago.

Nothing major wrong with them, but one had a little bit of lock stick, and I am NOT in any way fond of 154CM or liner locks. If they would use 4V, S45VN, S90V, and frame locks, I'd be all over them.

They are unique designs, and the handles are second to none...really grippy the way that I like.

I may eventually buy more, after I get the Spydercos I want.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

My momma told me that if I couldn't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

But I'll tell you this. I've only owned one. It took a year for them to make it, and I paid a hefty sum. Every time I opened my desk drawer and saw it, I'd get mad. Last month I sold it to a gentleman who really wanted it, so I let it go for way under it's value. What I lost in dollars, I more than made up for in the happiness I get when I know that it's gone.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

My full size Jungle Commander was one of my favorite overall *designs* ever. That unfortunately is where the positive comments come to a drop dead halt. I handled a few different Emerson models recently and I had the same thoughts and feelings about them then as I did 2 years ago.
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

Thanks for the responses. I guess the rumors I heard are just rumors. Fit and finish is apparently the same (lacking to the point it hurts the function).
James Y

Post by James Y »

Here are a few thoughts I have:

Starting in around 2000 or so, until maybe 2003, I purchased Emerson knives, which totaled around 7 or 8. A couple of the CQC-7 A’s developed lock slip with very little use. The blade tang mating surfaces of most Emerson’s seems (or seemed) to be ground at too steep an angle, accelerating lock wear and lock slip.

The only Emerson folder I had whose lock felt solid was a mini-Commander. But it was ground so thick and obtuse it couldn’t cut anything. Making it functional enough to cut would have involved a complete reprofiling of the entire blade and more work than I was willing to invest in it. Edge/geometry-wise, the same could be said about my La Griffe.

The folder handles felt great in hand, but for myself, Emerson knives don’t cut as well. People will say that Emersons are knives, and knives cut. But for my own purposes, all knives are not equal. My $20 SAKs cut circles around my Emerson knives. I can get much better, consistent quality and superior cutting performance for a lower price from Spyderco.

I’m not an anti-Emerson guy. And I really tried to like them and gave them fair chances over a few years’ time. They simply weren’t for me.

Jim
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I think my experience and thoughts on Emerson Knives are about the same as Jim's. For the past couple of years, I'd get caught up in the hype and buy a model, only to sell it after a few months. I can say that it seems fit and finish have improved somewhat with the newer models, but they're still not up to the same level of other knives around the same cost. Going to a single detent has helped improve the knives' action, but you're still likely going to see some rather profound lock stick until the knife is broken in. I'm talking "it takes two hands to unlock the knife" kind of stick. The edge grinds do seem to be getting better, as the last couple new manufacture knives I've handled had edge angles that weren't as obtuse as ones I've seen in the past. I still think they leave their 154CM way too soft though. It doesn't perform up to the same level as 154CM as other manufacturers, though part of that may be attributed to the thickness of the blade, as well as the type of chisel ground edge Emerson uses. I've sometimes wondered if the lock stick issues come from the lower hardness of the blade material, or a softer grade of Ti.

Like Jim, I'm not anti-Emerson, I've just finally realized there are better options out there for me.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
qwkzotc

Post by qwkzotc »

Yep, I have an old Commander Black combo blade (2000) sitting on a shelf next to an old AFCK Black combo blade (ATS-34). Never liked either one, never used either one. Not a fan of the "wave" opener, and that little top hat finger flipper thing is just out of place on the top of the blade. Never wanted another wave opener after handling that one.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I bought another cqc7 a few months ago from DLT and I have no complaints about it
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hi Raven,

I’ve purchased about 7 Emerson’s over the years and I can tell you that the newly made ones are superior in action, detent strength and lockup. I still experience lock stick but it seems to break in and go away. The grinds are beautiful and the finished is pretty good. I say pretty good because they aren’t up to Spyderco standards. But as far as a functional, well made tool they are great. Give one a try and let us know what you think.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Also it should be mentioned that the wave feature is still protected by Emerson.

https://knifenews.com/emerson-wave-trademark/
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I carried a Benchmade/Emerson CQC-7 way back when I was still in the Army. Loved the knife & still have it. The Emerson CQC-7 I got in 2000 was better in some way, others not so much. The custom I use to own was outstanding, but I just never carried it for fear of ruining NIB status. Ended up selling it for double what I paid for it.

Part of the problem for Emerson is that it is a small shop trying to keep their knives all U.S. made. This causes the prices to be higher for the materials used. Also being a smaller shop occasional bad knives will slip through.

I only currently have 3 Emerson knives - a LaGriffe, a CQC-7V, and an EDC Tanto. The 2 folders are very good in fit & finish & lock up tight. The blade on the EDC Tanto is a bit off center, but not enough to bother me. The only one I carry much anymore is the LaGriffe. I just don't have much use anymore for overbuilt folders.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I have 3 and the lock wears really fast. Especially if you use the wave feature. I ground the Persian to a V edge instead of chisel ground. Broke the tip on it twice. Once from cutting a plastic water bottle and not sure about the second time. I don't carry them anymore just keep them in the collection for reference.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:26 pm
Also it should be mentioned that the wave feature is still protected by Emerson.

https://knifenews.com/emerson-wave-trademark/
This is much the same way that the round hole is protected by Spyderco.

I realize it may be legal, but personally I think it's unethical to use the Emerson opener (or the round hole) without proper credit (and licensing fees if the owner asks for them).
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:09 pm
Hi Raven,

I’ve purchased about 7 Emerson’s over the years and I can tell you that the newly made ones are superior in action, detent strength and lockup. I still experience lock stick but it seems to break in and go away. The grinds are beautiful and the finished is pretty good. I say pretty good because they aren’t up to Spyderco standards. But as far as a functional, well made tool they are great. Give one a try and let us know what you think.
Well, I ended up getting another Emerson (the last one I bought about 10 years ago). Fit finish function all seem better....quite good in fact. I’m still disappointed with Emerson’s insistence on using 154cm. But that handle is super comfortable.....probably my favorite and I own A LOT of knives.

We’ll see how much it gets carried???
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Which model did you go with?

I honestly think going with 154CM at 59-60 would greatly improve the performance without sacrificing toughness.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Have owned several (20+) different models thru the years but currently only have one Emerson karambit left. They just never really caught hold with me...out-dated steel, poor edge geometry, uneven grinds...I just kept going back to Spyderco for my EDC needs. I don't buy customs so I can't speak to those.

I've seen a few newer ones and they appear to be a bit better finished but I'm just not interested. Mr. Emerson is a great person and makes a tough product...just not my thing.