Anyone Here Like Punk Music?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: Anyone Here Like Punk Music?

Post by JD Spydo »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:06 pm
Dead Kennedy's

also just about any 2 tone Ska
I remember when that band emerged back in the early 80s i.e. The Dead Kennedys. That band would have never gotten too famous. Their name kind of limited their success unfortunately. I just wonder how those guys thought that name up :rolleyes: and then to add JFK Jr. to the mix as well :(

Doesn't anyone else here like the Sex Pistols with John Lydon aka Johnny Rotten :cool:??? It's really a shame that they only got to do that one album. I can't think of any other band that attained their awesome notoriety with just one album>> think about it
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I think the offensive name was exactly the point, like Sid Vicious’s swastika t-shirt.

I do like the Sex Pistols but their music always seemed secondary to their attitude, notoriety and place in history.

I recall pogoing till I puked at a Stranglers gig :-)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Yeah, the kind of success that DKs forfeited with their name was precisely what they did not want. Part of the ethos, a rejection of mainstream values, etc.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

I'm not even that enthralled with punks.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ok , Ok I know I'm a bit older than most of you guys (66 :o ). But I can assure you that I do know a lot about the initial formation of the "Punk Rock Movement". I'm surprised that none of the rest of you acknowledged Johnny Rotten & The Sex Pistols to the degree they are deserving of. As far as Sid Vicious wearing a Nazi T shirt is a bit out of it I agree but isn't that kind of the trademark of punk music to be "anti-establishment" and to shock everyone??? OK, OK I know you all are going to say "The Sex Pistols are Ancient" :rolleyes: >> well I don't care if they are "ancient" because they were still darned good :cool:

Now I'm going back one further than Johnny Rotten (John Lydon) & Co. I'm speaking of "Iggy Pop & the Stooges". They were in their biggest days back around late 60s/early 70s>> they also made quite a resurgence from the mid 70s to early 80s. I do encourage you to look up some of Iggy Pop's old classics ( especially Raw Power) and see if he couldn't compete with many of these bands today :cool: Iggy Pop oddly enough was one of David Bowie's best friends if that isn't weird enough :o
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Not so big a fan. The only punk album I ever had was Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables. Although I'll sometimes admit to liking the occasional song.

I remember when the punk was just getting going in Los Angeles. One of the kids shaved his hair short and adorned his Army jacket--the kind we'd get at the surplus store--with a Marks-A-Lot in strange logos and band names. Then others followed the trend. There were bands like Fear, Black Flag, and Circle Jerks that played locally.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

PoisonedPizza wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:13 am
I'm a huge punk fan, and am looking for some new **** to listen to. I like Green Day, The Offspring, Ramones, The Damned,The Clash, and Rancid.

Man the dudes I grew up with probably would have started a fight just knowing you called some of those bands punk lol. I guess like all genres there's a bit of a spectrum and some bands are on opposite ends of that spectrum. There's always more underground bands that seem more legit.

I was more into earlier hardcore punk stuff...Minor Threat kind of stuff.

I really listen more to heavier genres, they just hold my attention better. Most people just hear the vocals and scoff at it and that's fine, not everyone understands polyrhythms and how much talent it takes to play some of that stuff.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

We're a rare breed David. Love when I see you occasionally post in the "what are you listening to" thread. I always think... this guy gets it :cool:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:43 pm
We're a rare breed David. Love when I see you occasionally post in the "what are you listening to" thread. I always think... this guy gets it :cool:

Yeah unfortunately true. I really think if guys like Beethoven were alive today they'd be metal heads. You can't tell me Beethoven wouldn't be impressed with Meshuggah lol.
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:54 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Yeah unfortunately true. I really think if guys like Beethoven were alive today they'd be metal heads. You can't tell me Beethoven wouldn't be impressed with Meshuggah lol.
I came across Alex Terrible covering Meshuggah a couple weeks ago. I love it! This song is great as it is, he just kicks it up another notch. His vocals are insane.

https://youtu.be/FMAxw7DN3KA
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:50 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:54 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I came across Alex Terrible covering Meshuggah a couple weeks ago. I love it! This song is great as it is, he just kicks it up another notch. His vocals are insane.

https://youtu.be/FMAxw7DN3KA

Yeah man his lows are impressive. I'm also a big fan of Adam Warren from Oceano, I think he's highly underrated and I hate to say but probably more talented than the band allows him to be.
~David
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

The Toy Dolls are still a punk band, right ? Japan also has some cool punk/rock artists, like Ken Yokoyama.
IDLES are a recent favourite of mine, though they're more pub than punk
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Another Dead Kennedys fan here.

Some more obscure stuff:

Mutiny: Melbourne folk punk, kinda like The Pogues, but Aussie.

Roosters: Japanese punk band from Fukuoka. I was told in Japan, that the singer was also in the Yakuza.

The Dreadnoughts: Canadian band from Vancouver who cut their teeth playing in dockside bars.
willc

Post by willc »

In middle school I was really into heavy metal then about age 15 I heard Minor Threat, Black Flag, DK’s and Flipper. This was about 1985.

There are hundreds of excellent punk rock bands out there and I used to love going to shows.

Some of the most fun I have ever had was going to warehouse and house shows.
I am in my fifties now so I don’t get out to many shows anymore.

Still love to crank up the stereo to some Big Black or Negative Approach every so often.