Silly Question That a British Member Might Be Able to Answer

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Deacon

Silly Question That a British Member Might Be Able to Answer

Post by The Deacon »

Odd things get my attention and arouse my curiosity sometimes. Case in point, while watching a British crime drama (Marcella) on Netflix a billboard in the background of once scene contains the following message:

Kick Crime
Into
Touch

Report It!

Ostensibly, the billboard is a public service announcement from the Central London Police.

Thing is, in US English, "kick crime into touch" makes no sense. Does it mean something in British English and, if so, what? Or is it just something put together poorly in CGI?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisinHove

Re: Silly Question That a British Member Might Be Able to Answer

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:02 pm
Odd things get my attention and arouse my curiosity sometimes. Case in point, while watching a British crime drama (Marcella) on Netflix a billboard in the background of once scene contains the following message:

Kick Crime
Into
Touch

Report It!

Ostensibly, the billboard is a public service announcement from the Central London Police.

Thing is, in US English, "kick crime into touch" makes no sense. Does it mean something in British English and, if so, what? Or is it just something put together poorly in CGI?
It’s rugby and soccer terminology for when the ball gets kicked (or passed) out of play. The touch line is the side line.

In slang, therefore when you “kick [something] into touch” you unequivocally end or finish it. A proposal for a solid gold Roadie? Let’s kick that idea into touch!

The central London Police is the Metropolitan Police, or Met. It is not unusual for glib advertising to be used in an attempt to make up for real effort or expenditure, even in public services, and I can’t imagine the Met is any different.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:30 pm
It’s rugby and soccer terminology for when the ball gets kicked (or passed) out of play. The touch line is the side line.

In slang, therefore when you “kick [something] into touch” you unequivocally end or finish it. A proposal for a solid gold Roadie? Let’s kick that idea into touch!

The central London Police is the Metropolitan Police, or Met. It is not unusual for glib advertising to be used in an attempt to make up for real effort or expenditure, even in public services, and I can’t imagine the Met is any different.
Thanks Chris, the sign makes total sense that way. As for the rest, think you've described every government agency on earth. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Solid gold Roadie? Hmmmm.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

I think my favorite bit of the Queen's English is shown in Doc Martin when everyone calls Martin Clunes a "tosser".

Hmmm, I wonder if Kristi is up on her British slang? Might be some room for shenanigans here.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

So it sounds like it's roughly a UK slang equivalent to the US 'Kick it to the Curb' ?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Huh...learn something new every day!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Red

Post by Red »

Ha, cool. Sometimes I watch Dr. Who and get all confused.
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
James Y

Post by James Y »

When I lived overseas in Taiwan, sometimes after a day’s martial arts training, a friend/fellow classmate of mine from Liverpool would say he was “knackered.” Since he only said it when he was extremely tired, I figured it out. :)

Jim
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Knackered is a derivation from "knacker" a person whose business is the disposal of dead or unwanted animals, especially those whose flesh is not fit for human consumption - where they work was called the "knacker's yard" to be knackered is to be pretty well exhausted..
If you think that UK English has some odd phrases, you should see the Notherm (Lancashire and Yorkshire) dialects. My grandfather who raised me was an old Lancashire man, even though he stopped using a lot of the dialect, he never lost his accent..reet gradley old gaffer 'e were!
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I lived across the pond a couple years as a pre teen, and remember plenty of slang that in U.S. translation, wouldn't be allowed on this forum.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I’ve always been fascinated with British terminology/slang. Maybe it has something to do with watching the Austin Powers movies way too many times. :o :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Oh Behave!
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

We watch a lot of BBC shows.

It took me awhile to realize the "reverse victory salute" is roughly equivalent to our one finger salute. You actually see it a lot in BBC shows (also a lot of nudity.)

After seeing The Gentlemen, my youngest son has a new favorite nickname for just about everyone. Apparently it's not as insulting on their side of the pond as it is here.