Who is into fixed blades?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Who is into fixed blades?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I'll be taking a look!

I can see how this rabbit hole could be dangerous with all the different options out there. Definitely wouldn't mind having "a couple" ...just like I told myself about folders haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:44 pm
After carrying and loving the Mule this past week, my first ever fixed blade... I'm now very intrigued. I honestly don't know much of anything about them. Any pointers on where to look into on something with decent steel, small and easily concealed with a comfortable sheath that doesn't break the bank?
Uh oh! Opening up a whole new can of worms here, Rick!

So, for $200 or under:
I agree with the Bradford 3 or 3.5 suggestion. I had a 3.5 but it didn't fit my hand as well. You might like it better with your larger hands. I still have a 3 in 3v steel. It's an exclusive from GP Knives, but I think they still have them. DLT had a bunch of exclusive cruwear options, too. The 3 is about Delica-sized and the sheath is set up for horizontal carry, so very easy to conceal. Lots of cool steel options, grind options, and handle materials out there.

Also, I'd recommend the ESEE 3 or ESEE Izula (the 3 now comes in s35vn), and also the TOPS Lioness. Yeah, it's got a "girl name", but my husband stole mine and absolutely loves it. And I've never owned a White River knives Caper, but I want one.

For just over $200, you could get a Bark River Gunny or Mini Gunny. I think you'd like their matte micarta. For size reference:
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thank you for taking the time to take those pics Julia, very helpful! Those are some great looking knives you have there.

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:19 pm
Thank you for taking the time to take those pics Julia, very helpful! Those are some great looking knives you have there.
No problem! If you want to go baller right out of the gate, grab the TRC k-1s that's available now. Not exactly cheap, but oh man, it's nice. Same size as the Gunny pictured on the left above. A bit less than 3/4 of an inch longer than a Mule.
https://forthenrycustomknives.com/shop/ ... run-elmax/
- Julia

Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Rick, if you want something with decent steel, small and easily concealed with a comfortable sheath i can recommend three bark rivers. Can't promiss they do not break the bank. From left to right:

- Mora companion (for size reference only)
- BR Mini Aurora 3V
- BR Mini Gunny S45VN
- BR Ultralite Bushcrafter Elmax

My favorite is the Mini Aurora. The blade shape is very usable outdoors as in the kitchen. I carry it in my RFP (jeans) next to my folders. Only an inch sticks out of my pocket.

The Ultralite Bushcrafter is even smaller. It won't stick out of my RFP.

The Mini Gunny comes with a large sheath. Not really pocketable. However the Mini Gunny fits in the sheaths of the other two.

From left to right:

- an aftermarket sheath i use for the Ultralight Bushcrafter
- the (left handed) sheath of the Mini Aurora. Rather had the right-handed one.
- the sheath of the Mini Gunny
- the sheath of the Ultralight Bushcrafter. I use it to carry my Mini Aurora. The perfect combination for me.
- A Manix 2 for size references

And a picture from above to get a better sight on the thickness of the handles and blades.

Choices, choices...

Danny
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks for pics and suggestions Danny! Sheath, and comfort of it plays just about an important as the knife for me, so thank you for the suggestions and various options you've shown me.

Thanks to all that have replied, giving me a good idea of where to get started on my search. Appreciate the time taken to take these photos as well!

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:19 am
Thanks for pics and suggestions Danny! Sheath, and comfort of it plays just about an important as the knife for me, so thank you for the suggestions and various options you've shown me.

Thanks to all that have replied, giving me a good idea of where to get started on my search. Appreciate the time taken to take these photos as well!
Oh just fyi, the BR knives are all convex ground. I've come to like it (especially on my Global kitchen knives), but it's a different sharpening experience and it can seem slippery when cutting some materials. But very easy to maintain with stropping, so I think you'd like it. Have you kept the convex edge on your CRK?
- Julia

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Danny, you may have just pushed me over the edge on the mini-aurora. I've been looking at those for a long time...

I'm really glad I have a lifestyle (and location) that lets me EDC fixed blades.

My all time absolute favorite knife is a fixed blade (Smoke Creek in K390), and it's small enough for EDC too, around here. Unfortunately they're just about impossible to get at this point.

If you want to look at higher price options, the Creely Mako (Rex 121) is a really nice EDC fixed blade as well. It's definitely an 'around town' kind of size (not a 'do it all' like the Smoke Creek). The ergonomics and size are quite similar to the Spyderco Enuff, but done with the maximum level of fit and finish (which yields even better ergonomics for the handle). It's super nice, and not even the snobbiest of aficionados is going to turn up their nose at the blade steel.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:03 am
Oh just fyi, the BR knives are all convex ground. I've come to like it (especially on my Global kitchen knives), but it's a different sharpening experience and it can seem slippery when cutting some materials. But very easy to maintain with stropping, so I think you'd like it. Have you kept the convex edge on your CRK?
Ya know what, I never even noticed that those were a different grind haha! I haven't had to give either a full sharpening, just some touchups, especially on the Inkosi after using it all week a couple weeks ago. I freehanded it with the brown Sharpmaker rod in hand, it did take me a minute to find that sweet spot, so I imagine that would be why!

$500+ knives and I don't even know the type of edge they have...major fail :p

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:02 am
JuPaul wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:03 am
Ya know what, I never even noticed that those were a different grind haha! I haven't had to give either a full sharpening, just some touchups, especially on the Inkosi after using it all week a couple weeks ago. I freehanded it with the brown Sharpmaker rod in hand, it did take me a minute to find that sweet spot, so I imagine that would be why!

$500+ knives and I don't even know the type of edge they have...major fail :p
Seems like most people sharpen that convex edge off anyways because of the slipping issue. But it seems like that could be mitigated by just putting a coarser finish on it. Then you'd get the strength benefits of the convex edge plus the bite of the lower grit. I need to play around with that on my Sebenza - I haven't sharpened mine yet at all. My Bark Rivers and Globals I just strop on my KME and it works great. But now I kinda want to play around with lower grits on them, too.
- Julia

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Julia, do you have a Splinter or Splinter XS you can compare to the K-1s?
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:49 pm
...I can see how this rabbit hole could be dangerous with all the different options out there. Definitely wouldn't mind having "a couple" ...just like I told myself about folders haha!
I love that you're starting to get interested in fixed blades. I also think the suggestions that have been offered here so far have been really great. I want to offer you some "food for thought" while you search through the sea of fixed designs available.

People have been making fixed blade knives for a really long time and at this point all makers today stand on the shoulders of those who came came before them. I suggest you spend some time looking at the most well known custom fixed blade makers of the past 50-100 years and get familiar what made them famous, if you haven't already. People like Bo Randall, Bob Loveless and many others are legendary for a reason. Learning about the History of the Nessmuk knife or how Bob Loveless worked with the US Marines during Vietnam to create the "Chute" knife and so many other stories is a great way to get started with fixed blades. Then you'll be able to look at the huge selection of really nice fixed blades from Bark River, Spyderco, Bradley, and so many more with a foundation of historical knowledge will not only help you choose designs but add to your enjoyment in owning and using them as well.

If taking time to look into the history of famous knife makers just doesn't appeal to you here's my short advice.. Decide what you want to use it for most, and Bark River is a treasure-trove of fixed blade designs that will have a nice one to suit your needs. The Classic Drop Point Hunter is a nice starting point IMO.

Beware...the rabbit hole is DEEP! :eek: :D ;)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:19 am

You are welcome Rick. Hope this helps you in finding a good fixed blade for your purposes.

The convex grind Julia mentioned on the Bark River is there indeed but in my opinion hardly noticable. And it sharpens very easy on the brown rods of the sharpmaker (20 DPS). With only strops it isn't as sharp as i like my knives to be. When cutting things straight forward i find the convex edge on the shown Bark Rivers almost acting as a flat ground V edge. For instance when i cut an apple it slides through making a clean cut instead of 'breaking' it in two. If you know what i mean.
I recognize that it can feel slippery when cutting things in a certain angle. When you do some woodworking and your angle is to steep the shoulder hits the wood first preventing the edge to bite into the wood. I don't find this a real problem. It is something to get used to and after some time your feeling of control of the knife will grow. It is more noticable on my also convex Fallkniven knives (F1 and S1). And even there it is no problem for me. Maybe the coarser finish on the brown rods helps?

JuPaul wrote:
Seems like most people sharpen that convex edge off anyways because of the slipping issue. But it seems like that could be mitigated by just putting a coarser finish on it. Then you'd get the strength benefits of the convex edge plus the bite of the lower grit. I need to play around with that on my Sebenza - I haven't sharpened mine yet at all. My Bark Rivers and Globals I just strop on my KME and it works great. But now I kinda want to play around with lower grits on them, too.

Julia, i am interested in your experience with lower grids on your convex knives. Please report back to us, when you have done some experimenting...

TomAiello wrote: Danny, you may have just pushed me over the edge on the mini-aurora. I've been looking at those for a long time...

I'm really glad I have a lifestyle (and location) that lets me EDC fixed blades.

My all time absolute favorite knife is a fixed blade (Smoke Creek in K390), and it's small enough for EDC too, around here. Unfortunately they're just about impossible to get at this point.

If you want to look at higher price options, the Creely Mako (Rex 121) is a really nice EDC fixed blade as well. It's definitely an 'around town' kind of size (not a 'do it all' like the Smoke Creek). The ergonomics and size are quite similar to the Spyderco Enuff, but done with the maximum level of fit and finish (which yields even better ergonomics for the handle). It's super nice, and not even the snobbiest of aficionados is going to turn up their nose at the blade steel.

Tom, you can't go wrong with the Mini Aurora. Especially in CPM 3v steel. I also have one in CPM 154. The latter i use more in and around the house. The one with CPM 3V more when i am out hiking.

The Creely Mako in Rex 121 looks very interesting. I had never heard of it. Maybe Rex 121 is a bit to much for my uses and taste. I love sharpening but am still learning the art. Have sold my maxamet blades for the same reason.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

For affordable I like the Becker BK14. Steel is 1095cv. This pic is the BK24 which is the same knife but in D2. Sadly the D2 version is discontinued.

For a spyderco I like the Street Beat.

For Bark River I like the Bobcat Hunter and Mini Kephart because they have 2.5mm stock. Bobcat Hunter is CPM154 and Mini Kephart is 3V.

I also like the North Country EDC but the blade stock is thicker and the handle is much bigger/thicker. The ergos are incredible though. Steel is A2. This is the stock photo because I cannot find a pic of it.
444E6316-FC51-46F8-A2A5-4A9EF528127B.jpeg
All of these are easier to pocket carry than a Mule for me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

I love convex grinds. The bark rivers don’t have convex edges, they have full height convex grinds. Well, some are more of a convex saber grind. If you want to learn to sharpen convex grinds just buy an Opinel. You cannot really call yourself a knife nut if you don’t own an opinel anyway. It is just about the best geometry you will see on a production knife and they only cost $20. Once you learn about convex grinds you may fall out of love with typical V edges. Then you can fall down the rabbit hole of Japanese kitchen knives which are often convex grinds.

I like Loveless style blades. I have the Bark River Wilderness Explorer, Clip Point Hunter and Bobcat Hunter which are three sizes of classic Loveless style knives.

If you do go with a Bark River just keep an eye on blade stock thickness. They like thick knives with thin edges. They all cut very well but some will wedge more than others.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

I also agree with Chad that fixed blades have a rich history. I am a fan of Kephart style knives and have read Camping and Woodcraft. Fascinating stuff for me.

Here is my Becker BK62 which is a pretty close reproduction of Kephart’s actual knife. He had them manufactured by Colcester Brothers and Ethan Becker owns one of only two that still exist and he modeled the BK62 after it. The knife is sitting on a first edition of Kephart’s famous book. That book was released in 1906 and this copy still has the dust jacket. Unfortunately the book is not mine but I did (after washing my hands) get to carefully thumb through it. Too cool.

-Darby
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Does anybody happen to have a Mule and Bradford Guardian 3 and/or 3.5 to compare with the Mule? Those Bark Rivers are all VERY NICE, just soooooo many options I really don't even know where I'd want to start...plus the fact that I think just about all of them look very nice, looking into those would be dangerous to start with, I know myself and it's not good :) Before I knew it I was browsing and looking at some in the $270 range! Told myself to stop right there haha!

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:24 am
Does anybody happen to have a Mule and Bradford Guardian 3 and/or 3.5 to compare with the Mule?
I'll take pictures and post them this evening, if that will help.

Anything in particular you want in the shots?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Guardian 3 drop point and wharncliffe with a Mule:

I'll check through the knife box and see if I can find a 3.5. It's not my favorite size, so it's not as convenient to get it.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:58 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:24 am
Does anybody happen to have a Mule and Bradford Guardian 3 and/or 3.5 to compare with the Mule?
I'll take pictures and post them this evening, if that will help.

Anything in particular you want in the shots?
Thanks Tom. Not really, I'd just like to see them to compare overall length and blade stock. As Julia said the Guardian 3 is similar in size to the Delica and the Mule seems to be around the Manix size (two knives that work for me with my medium/large hands)

I see the Guardians are carried horizontally, so I'm wondering if a 3.5 would be difficult to conceal with that extra length.

-Rick