Who is into fixed blades?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
standy99

Re: Who is into fixed blades?

Post by standy99 »

ShawnL wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:36 pm
standy99 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:03 am
Fixed blades have been my most common purchase the last few years

Chris Reeve - Professional Solider (Had to they had discontinued)

LT Wright - Camp Muk (Had to it had a lime green handle)

Spyderco - Junction (Had to they had discontinued)

Spyderco -Mules. (Had to they had discontinued) Back on now....

Couple of Custom Damascus knives from a local knife maker that supplies a fair bit of Damascus steel to the Aussie Knife making market. Surprised he lived in driving distance from my place ( Had to ;) )
One in camel bone and One in buffalo horn. (Lost the camel bone to the misses as soon as I got home)
beautiful leather work..is it custom?
Yeah, from a Custom knifemaker not far from where I live

http://www.walkaboutchef.com.au/compone ... ef/50.html

Made this also

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Great knives, Standy. :)

Your missus has good taste - I would have chosen that one as well. ;)

This has been my fb hunting knife for the last few years:

Loveless style drop point in S30V, made by Adam Parker, the president of the Australian Knifemaker’s Guild.

It’s usually accompanied by the HAP40 Stretch.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Infi FHFG RMD. One of the fixed blades I carry pretty often.

Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Cambertree wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:29 pm
Enactive wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:39 pm
Nice one! :cool: :p
Thanks mate! I thought you might like to see that Balinese Kris! :)

This is not as nice as your Helle with the handmade handle, but it’s still a very nice knife. The BraKar.

Interestingly, when I researched the Helle core steel composition in their laminated blades of that time, it is quite similar to AEB-L.
Apologies for the quite delayed reply. I have been 'out of range' and offline a bit more than usual the past few weeks. which has been nice.

I do indeed enjoy those photos of your Kris!

Thanks for the compliment! I would say it is a case of apples and oranges-- or maybe black walnut, leather, and birch vs 2-tone cherry!!
IMG_20200913_091338sm.jpg
IMG_20200913_091308sm.jpg
On the left side of the blade i aligned the heartwood/sapwood (darker/lighter) seam with the blade grind line. With the pieces that i had, I wasn't able to do both sides that way and also align the butt end to be a checkerboard pattern-- which i prioritized.
IMG_20200913_092242sm_crop.jpg
All or most of my scandi blades have a Sandvik steel of some kind (12c27, laminated carbon, laminated stainless, monometal carbon, 14c28n) or similar.

I have found conflicting information on the Helle blade steels. Some indicating that the core is stainless as you suggest (12c27 or similar). Others indicating that the core is a carbon steel.
https://helle.com/pages/materials
https://www.ragweedforge.com/helle/h-blades.html

I think that it has varied, and that they have probably or possibly produced both types. I thought i read that once-- maybe even on their website, but didn't find it just now.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/hel ... l.1595330/

https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/helle.html (various steels listed in specs)

I understand my Turmann blade to be triple laminated stainless. I also understand AEB-L to be an analog of 13c27 (which i have rarely if ever seen a knife blade labeled as such).

Your BraKar is quite beautiful and the blade is a good bit longer than my Turmann #51. All of my Moras have the neutral factory barrel handle which is quite excellent for all the woodcarving grips (and most everything really :D ). https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... H16nV2-TBU

I carved the Turmann's handle with the contouring to have a zero scandi grind blade with a handle customized to my hand. Funny enough i did this years before my Spyderco "re-discovery." Subsequently i realized the similarities to the Shaman handle and other 50/50 choil Spydie folders.

Totally off topic-- we may have reached peak 2020. Yesterday, through the orange, brown pall of smoke i saw an Eastern Gray Squirrel and a Norway Rat grappling and in their tussle throw eachother off my neighbor's 4-foot retaining wall onto the sidewalk. Whereafter they scrambled in their separate directions. Initially i thought it was two squirrels, but correctly IDed them after the brawl. All this mid-day. :eek: Good grief! :p
Last edited by Enactive on Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:55 pm

Loveless style drop point in S30V, made by Adam Parker, the president of the Australian Knifemaker’s Guild.

Cambertree, that Adam Parker is gorgeous! What is the handle material?
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Enactive wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:59 am
Cambertree wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:29 pm
Enactive wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:39 pm
Nice one! :cool: :p
Thanks mate! I thought you might like to see that Balinese Kris! :)

This is not as nice as your Helle with the handmade handle, but it’s still a very nice knife. The BraKar.

Interestingly, when I researched the Helle core steel composition in their laminated blades of that time, it is quite similar to AEB-L.
Apologies for the quite delayed reply. I have been 'out of range' and offline a bit more than usual the past few weeks. which has been nice.

I do indeed enjoy those photos of your Kris!

Thanks for the compliment! I would say it is a case of apples and oranges-- or maybe black walnut, leather, and birch vs 2-tone cherry!!

IMG_20200913_091338sm.jpg

IMG_20200913_091308sm.jpg

On the left side of the blade i aligned the heartwood/sapwood (darker/lighter) seam with the blade grind line. With the pieces that i had, I wasn't able to do both sides that way and also align the butt end to be a checkerboard pattern-- which i prioritized.

IMG_20200913_092242sm_crop.jpg

All or most of my scandi blades have a Sandvik steel of some kind (12c27, laminated carbon, laminated stainless, monometal carbon, 14c28n) or similar.

I have found conflicting information on the Helle blade steels. Some indicating that the core is stainless as you suggest (12c27 or similar). Others indicating that the core is a carbon steel.
https://helle.com/pages/materials
https://www.ragweedforge.com/helle/h-blades.html

I think that it has varied, and that they have probably or possibly produced both types. I thought i read that once-- maybe even on their website, but didn't find it just now.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/hel ... l.1595330/

https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/helle.html (various steels listed in specs)

I understand my Turmann blade to be triple laminated stainless. I also understand AEB-L to be an analog of 13c27 (which i have rarely if ever seen a knife blade labeled as such).

Your BraKar is quite beautiful and the blade is a good bit longer than my Turmann #51. All of my Moras have the neutral factory barrel handle which is quite excellent for all the woodcarving grips (and most everything really :D ). https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... H16nV2-TBU

I carved the Turmann's handle with the contouring to have a zero scandi grind blade with a handle customized to my hand. Funny enough i did this years before my Spyderco "re-discovery." Subsequently i realized the similarities to the Shaman handle and other 50/50 choil Spydie folders.

Totally off topic-- we may have reached peak 2020. Yesterday, through the orange, brown pall of smoke i saw an Eastern Gray Squirrel and a Norway Rat grappling and in their tussle throw eachother off my neighbor's 4-foot retaining wall onto the sidewalk. Whereafter they scrambled in their separate directions. Initially i thought it was two squirrels, but correctly IDed them after the brawl. All this mid-day. :eek: Good grief! :p
No worries, my friend. :)

It’s wonderful to see that knife here. You did a great job with that handle. Having a handle which is fully assymetrically shaped to your knife using hand is pretty special.

Yes, those are the same references I think I looked at too, regarding the Helle bladesteel. The nickel and molybdenum additions are a curious departure from AEB-L/13C26 - it almost seems like some kind of proprietary steel.

I think the monometal Helle blades like the fishing knives are in 12C27.

I haven’t seen any laminated carbon steel Helles before, but I suppose that is how they were originally made.

They take a wicked sharp edge.

I’ve used the 5” bladed BraKar as a camp knife. It’s interesting that for general use, it reminded me that a 3 3/4” or 4” blade is a lot more nimble than a longer blade.

I like Moras handles a lot. The barrel handle is great, but even their more modern rubberised handles are extremely comfortable as well.

The Mora Forest:

Αnd a more unusual Scandi styled knife - the clip pointed Ahti Jahti, with its sweeping belly optimised for skinning tasks:

Thanks, that Adam Parker is a very fine knife, which I like very much.

The handles are California Buckeye. :)

That’s a great story about the Norwegian Rat and and the Grey Squirrel! Signs and portents, my friend...

My thoughts are with everyone contending with those terrible fires.
SallyMik

Post by SallyMik »

My favorite fix knife is Morakniv. Inexpensive but very practical :spyder:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

This new Busse Combat Team Gemini Ultra Light Brigade (TGULB) feels very nice in hand.
I think its 7.75" long blade and. 200" thick.
Iole

Post by Iole »

John Nelson Cooper, Morseth, and a Ralph Bone. From the Seventies.

Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 11.35.04 AM.png
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Iole wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:39 pm
John Nelson Cooper, Morseth, and a Ralph Bone. From the Seventies.

That handle on the top knife looks awesome! Nice collection btw
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Finding this old friend in-hand.
IMG_20200924_150000sm.jpg
Gratuitous naturally leavened sourdough! Nice crumb!!! :eek: :D
IMG_20200924_105434sm.jpg
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:27 pm
Finding this old friend in-hand.

IMG_20200924_150000sm.jpg

Gratuitous naturally leavened sourdough! Nice crumb!!! :eek: :D

IMG_20200924_105434sm.jpg
Nice. I love sourdough bread 🍞
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

86ED0A8D-7BAE-43C5-B53F-11DD71464E47.jpeg
D84ABA93-0A61-4AE0-B708-0AD098460067.jpeg
Big ESEE fan
kobold

Post by kobold »

Bark River fan here: PSK EDC, UL Bushcrafter, Tundra, Mini Tundra, Gunny Hunter, Bravo 1, Bravo 1 LT, Aurora 2, Mini Kalahari Sportsman. All in green elder burl. Kephart and Canadian Camp 2 will be next.

My beaters are Hultafors.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

CB397A8B-E214-4FC7-86C3-689E9E892566.jpeg
D9170742-FB9E-4438-832E-10142CFC93E2.jpeg
Sweet little Benchmade. Was $125 with the 3V steel. Had to snag it.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Recent acquisition:

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

M Sea wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:12 am
CB397A8B-E214-4FC7-86C3-689E9E892566.jpeg
D9170742-FB9E-4438-832E-10142CFC93E2.jpeg

Sweet little Benchmade. Was $125 with the 3V steel. Had to snag it.
Did those get disco'd? They do look really nice.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:55 pm

Been using this for hunting the last few years
Burt Foster laminated EDC Talon (picked the top one up in 2012)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Those Fosters are gorgeous.

This is one of my favorite fixed blades. I use it frequently to break fatwood chunks up for starting fires at camp sites or in my firepit. Also whittling basic stuff for fun, like spoons for camp cooking, tent pegs etc.

$79 for FFG 60-61rc A2, fully contoured brown micarta scales, and a perfectly fitted kydex sheath - all made in USA. Tough to beat it at that price.

I may order a back-up someday. It's my favorite bushcraft fixed blade, and I've tried many different models over the past 20 years, some costing 3-4x as much.

I'm going to take the edge a little thinner sometime this month. Its held up to all the batoning I can manage with a 4.5" blade with no issues.
:unicorn