Military service...Past, Present, Future???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
OldHoosier62

Military service...Past, Present, Future???

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I know we have several retired/former military members on the forum, so which service and how long?? MOS if you feel like sharing what you did.

If you are planning on joining feel free to share also.

Retired Marine (medical, injuries with nerve damage)...14 years+, started out as a Grunt for 6 years, moved to ordnance maintenance for the rest. Ended my career teaching various ordnance systems to all 5 services and working in infantry/artillery weapons test and development. Loved my time in and still keep in touch with many of my service friends.

Ya'll????
bearrowland

Re: Military service...Past, Present, Future???

Post by bearrowland »

Army grunt for 6 years. It was a great time!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Retired USAF (20 years, three months, and one day)….contract completed! Started out on the flight line loading conventional and special ordnance on fighter/bomber aircraft (AFSC 462X0). Pulled stints in the following capacities: Wing Standardization & Evaluation Team Member, Wing Quality Assurance Inspector, Wing Weapons Safety Officer, USAF Flight Test Center (Edwards AFB, CA). Finished up my career on the AC-130 Gunships (Spooky) during the Operation Desert Storm time frame. Enjoyed my time in but glad to be out. :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

USMC for 4 years.

Various jobs and specialties over that time related to the Infantry.

Never really was in my primary MOS for long, very short period of time really.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:03 pm
USMC for 4 years.

I understand the working out of your MOS deal...I was trained as an 0351 106mm recoiless rifleman, 4 months later the Corps retires them except for one place...Guantanamo Bay Cuba, so I did a tour there and bounced all over the Grunt world for the next 5 years....weapons platoon, RIP school, bunch of other "fun" stuff. When I slotted over to ordnance they ask where I'd been that I still had a dead MOS as my primary.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:35 pm
Ankerson wrote:
USMC for 4 years.

I understand the working out of your MOS deal...I was trained as an 0351 106mm recoiless rifleman, 4 months later the Corps retires them except for one place...Guantanamo Bay Cuba, so I did a tour there and bounced all over the Grunt world for the next 5 years....weapons platoon, RIP school, bunch of other "fun" stuff. When I slotted over to ordnance they ask where I'd been that I still had a dead MOS as my primary.

It's all about were they need you in the end I suppose.

That and if they learn you are very good at adapting to other jobs like I was they tend to move you around a lot.

I tend to pick up on things very fast so..
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Currently an aviation systems technician in the Canadian Forces :D
Justin :spyder:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

US Army 3/3

95B (MP)

Various schools and certifications like everyone in the military. Things like Traffic investigation, Various radar operator instructors, DUI enforcement, Intoxylizer instructor, Street survivor ( anyone else remember that one?) German language school Aside from what everyone going to Europe had that was specialized for my assignment like being able to call in artillery and airstrikes in German to the German military, etc.. My state job was similar in that you can get all sort of schools and certifications and always would recommend anyone to take all you can get. Especially instructor certifications.

Joe
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

U.S. Army - 2 years Reserve, 4 years Active

91B (now 68W) Medic.

3297 AH for Reserves. It was boring to me as a young Medic, but actually taught me a lot that came in handy later working in civilian hospitals.

2/187 Inf for Active duty. Basically a Grunt with an aid bag.

Plan was to do Hoo-ah stuff for a few years, then get the Army to pay my way through nursing school and be an Army RN. Got cancer, got medically retired, still work in the medical field, just a different path.

Loved my time in & wish I could of stayed. Life happens.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

"Life happens." That is the truth.

I signed up for a 6yr stint in the USMC in 86 and they booted me on my ship date for a heart murmur. DRs at the time said, quit working as an electrician, forget about the Marine Corps, and go to college.

College? Sure... I went and did that and only 1yr made what I made as an electrician.

The leaky heart valve? Had open heart surgery in 2017 to replace it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

US Army 7 years. Got out due to being disabled a bit while serving.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

U.S. Navy, 25 years.
Beach Cricket

Post by Beach Cricket »

USAF during some of the Reagan years, ah the memories.
-Cricket
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

justjohn wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:44 pm
Retired USAF (20 years, three months, and one day)….contract completed! Started out on the flight line loading conventional and special ordnance on fighter/bomber aircraft (AFSC 462X0). Pulled stints in the following capacities: Wing Standardization & Evaluation Team Member, Wing Quality Assurance Inspector, Wing Weapons Safety Officer, USAF Flight Test Center (Edwards AFB, CA). Finished up my career on the AC-130 Gunships (Spooky) during the Operation Desert Storm time frame. Enjoyed my time in but glad to be out. :D
As someone who has had to call "Spooky" for support, all I can say is Thank You for what you did.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:50 pm
OldHoosier62 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:35 pm
Ankerson wrote:
USMC for 4 years.

It's all about were they need you in the end I suppose.

That and if they learn you are very good at adapting to other jobs like I was they tend to move you around a lot.

I tend to pick up on things very fast so..
Exactly.... My old Warrant Officer told me that it wasn't what "I" wanted... It was what Mother Green The Killing Machine wanted me to do.... (lol his exact works).
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:00 pm
justjohn wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:44 pm
As someone who has had to call "Spooky" for support, all I can say is Thank You for what you did.
Spooky’s hum, a sound I won’t forget, saved my bacon a time or two.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Bamalt1

Post by Bamalt1 »

Hit 9 years in the Army in March. Flew the Shadow for a few years and I've been flying the Gray Eagle for the last 4 years with 3 deployments.
S35VN PM2, Spydiechef, M4 Manix 2 XL, Rex 45 Shaman, Kapara, M4 PM2 Tanto, Ultatech BH, Techno 2, 20CV Yojimbo 2
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I never got comfortable with jumping out of aircraft, but I did it, not only carrying my equipment, but a senior medics aidbag to refill the other medics. That thing weighed as much as some rucks all by itself.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

5 years as a paratrooper...good times...
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

United States Air Force, 30 years, retired.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!