Natural material crafting, input needed

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Pickmansmodel82

Natural material crafting, input needed

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

So a “Wheeler and dealer” friend dumped a present with me, several POUNDS of stag antler bits. These appear to be from a knife making shop, since sifting through I’ve found some partial traditional scale pieces. Most of the pieces are pretty small cutoffs.

I have a couple of ideas how to use these, but have never worked with stag before. Any pitfalls or newbie mistakes to avoid?
BLUETYPEII

Re: Natural material crafting, input needed

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Pickmansmodel82 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:55 pm
So a “Wheeler and dealer” friend dumped a present with me, several POUNDS of stag antler bits. These appear to be from a knife making shop, since sifting through I’ve found some partial traditional scale pieces. Most of the pieces are pretty small cutoffs.

I have a couple of ideas how to use these, but have never worked with stag before. Any pitfalls or newbie mistakes to avoid?
Don’t know a lot about crafting deer or elk antlers, however a couple of things I can tell you is... if you are using power tools go slow because you can burn it like wood; also do it outside because it smells like burnt hair but much worse.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”