Any cyclists? Vivi? Looking to get a nice bicycle for road training

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Surfingringo

Any cyclists? Vivi? Looking to get a nice bicycle for road training

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey all, I’ve been on the hunt for awhile now looking at bicycles. I have some beautiful spots to ride in my area and I am always looking for healthy activities. I currently ride a bike everyday as a short distance commuter/“go to the store” ride but I’m thinking to get into some more serious cycling. I have some good mountain biking trails in my area but honestly, I’m more interested in road training.

I am 50 years old and I have zero experience with road bikes but I do pretty hardcore endurance training daily and between that and the thousands of miles a year on the kayak I don’t see this being an unrealistic endeavor. If I enjoy it, I will be all in. The thing is, I’m old enough to know that what I might like in real world use might be different than what looks the coolest on the showroom floor. I suspect I will favor something with a slightly more relaxed and less racy geometry? I have been looking at endurance bikes and some of the gravel bikes. I’m not looking at the gravel bikes so much for their off-road capabilities but rather for their more relaxed riding position. I would suspect this would see a minimum of 100k per week, maybe more. I want something efficient and fast but also something that is not miserable to ride.

I’ve been doing a fair bit of online research and some of the options that I have been looking at are...

Cannondale Topstone
Cannondale Synapse
Specialized Diverge
Specialized Allez
Giant Defy
Salsa Journeyman

I know there at leas a few of you who are avid riders. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
vivi

Re: Any cyclists? Vivi? Looking to get a nice bicycle for road training

Post by vivi »

Sounds like you're on the right track.

I'd go with an Endurance model if you're not particularly interested in off roading. They can handle some minor off roading anyways. They'll have a more relaxed riding position while still being extremely fast and nimble.

I rode a Ridley Fenix for a while and that was a great entry level road bike. I paid about $1,000 for a 20 speed equipped with shimano 105 and carbon fork. I tested a Cannondale Synapse that was about $800 with lower end gearing and the Ridley was more comfortable for me.

These days I'm on a full carbon fiber Trek Emonda sl6. I was always hesitant to ride full CF since I weigh over 200lbs but its a great bike. The carbon frame is more comfortable but the price difference is pretty big.

If I were to buy a first road bike again I'd be looking at Fuji, Cannondale, Ridley, Giant etc. in the $800-1200 range. I'd shoot for carbon fork, aluminum frame, and shimano 105 or possibly Ultegra gearing.

I'd buy new, from a local shop, and have them help you get fitted to a bike. You'll often get service for a discount, and having someone in the know help you in person is invaluable.

I'd recommend diving right in with spandex too. It looks silly af but its a lot more comfortable for cycling than loose fit clothing. I'd also suggest a flat repair kit and a small pouch to carry your tools while you ride. And if you think you'll ride at night to beat the heat, proper lighting is essential. Cygolite makes some good ones.

PS if you get into it check out bicycle touring. It's one of the best things in the world!
:unicorn
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I trained for racing for around 15 years. Raced in the Iowa Games around 1995. Don't race anymore, I'm 60. I still have my Kreitler Rollers and plan to get back on them in 2020. I still have my steel framed Serrotta, which is no longer made. It is an excellent bicycle.

All of those bicycles might work for what you plan on doing. I'd get the best road bike you can. You can buy another seat(gel), and change/modify your riding position based on where the seat is located in the clamps to work for most things.

Racing has rules, and if you do not plan on racing them you can equip your bike with whatever you want. I would not go overboard, you want to keep weight as low as possible. What I'd be sure to have:

- 1 small seat bag for a spare inner tube, 3 rim wrenches
- 1 racing bike pump for the flat that you will eventually get
- 1 water bottle
- 1 good set of aero bars
- 1 rear and front headlamp set for visibility
- 2 pair of cycling shorts with leather inserts

If you are pretty hard core and not worried about a little water, skip rims/fenders/paniers.
Last edited by Naperville on Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Regarding buying locally, that’s probably the best way to get the right bike but everything is imported here so prices are higher. I probably need to just suck it up and pay the premium though for the ability to go into the shop and make sure I’m comfortable with what I’m getting. Unfortunately, I’m such a noob to road bikes that it’s hard to tell if its comfortable or not just from sitting on it or riding it around the parking lot. We’ll see. I’m leaning towards cannondale just because they were the most helpful of the shops that I went to. They had a Synapse there with 105 components (I think) and the price was just under $2000 I believe.

My two main concerns with this endeavor are body position comfort and especially seat comfort. I suspect that body position is one of those things that I will just get used to. The seat comfort is a bigger concern for me. I have a SUPER bony ***. I mean when I sit down there is nothing between my sit bones and the seat but a quarter inch of skin, lol. I’ve heard guys say “you just have to get used to those skinny hard seats”, but man, I don’t know. I’ve been kayaking over a decade and my butt still aches terribly after a few hours every single trip. I know there have to be some tricks or tips to help guys without much natural “cushion”?

Naperville, I had never heard of a leather insert but that sounds like it might make a big difference. Is that something you buy separate or is it integrated in some shorts?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

And yes, Vivi, I have been looking at the whole “Bike-packing” thing and that look pretty awesome. As it is though, I’m just starting to get into “Kay-packing” haha. We are actually going to be doing a big multi-day trip this summer and I’ll try to make a nice video. Point is, I like the bike packing idea but man, there’s only so many hours in a lifetime to cram all this cool stuff into. That’s a luxury problem I guess.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:38 pm
And yes, Vivi, I have been looking at the whole “Bike-packing” thing and that look pretty awesome. As it is though, I’m just starting to get into “Kay-packing” haha. We are actually going to be doing a big multi-day trip this summer and I’ll try to make a nice video. Point is, I like the bike packing idea but man, there’s only so many hours in a lifetime to cram all this cool stuff into. That’s a luxury problem I guess.
Absolutely. Some days I have to decide if I want to go cycling, go kayaking, or hiking etc. Can be tough having all these hobbies and still making time for family and friends.

I have a bony bottom too and I got used to the seats. I grew up riding mountain bikes with those wide tractor style gel seats, so I didn't expect to adapt to them. The padded cycling shorts help a lot. I've never tried the leather lined ones so I can't comment on them, but the Canari gel pad shorts I used have worked very well.

Also, if you find a seat uncomfortable, it may be the size of the seat rather than it being a skinny road bike style seat. Good bike shops will offer to let you try different seats before you buy a bike, and some can even measure your sit bones and really dial it in. I got lucky with my bikes in that the stock saddles fit well.

That import fee sounds rough. I wonder if it'd be cheaper to buy a bike from the US and have it shipped?

I know http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm often has great deals but I have no idea what their international shipping policies are. And buying a road bike online without knowing your specific fit would be tough to get right.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Padded cycling shorts are a must. Fingerless cycling gloves too to keep your grip when you start sweating. I have a Specialized Dulce.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

If you are fine with a steel frame, Surly has a good selection as well. They and salsa are both owned by the same group I believe.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:29 pm
Regarding buying locally, that’s probably the best way to get the right bike but everything is imported here so prices are higher. I probably need to just suck it up and pay the premium though for the ability to go into the shop and make sure I’m comfortable with what I’m getting. Unfortunately, I’m such a noob to road bikes that it’s hard to tell if its comfortable or not just from sitting on it or riding it around the parking lot. We’ll see. I’m leaning towards cannondale just because they were the most helpful of the shops that I went to. They had a Synapse there with 105 components (I think) and the price was just under $2000 I believe.

My two main concerns with this endeavor are body position comfort and especially seat comfort. I suspect that body position is one of those things that I will just get used to. The seat comfort is a bigger concern for me. I have a SUPER bony ***. I mean when I sit down there is nothing between my sit bones and the seat but a quarter inch of skin, lol. I’ve heard guys say “you just have to get used to those skinny hard seats”, but man, I don’t know. I’ve been kayaking over a decade and my butt still aches terribly after a few hours every single trip. I know there have to be some tricks or tips to help guys without much natural “cushion”?

Naperville, I had never heard of a leather insert but that sounds like it might make a big difference. Is that something you buy separate or is it integrated in some shorts?
They are all probably decent or better at the prices that I saw. That is all that matters. You don't want a 30lb bicycle. Try to shoot for 25lbs unladen, and when you throw the items on that I suggested you should still be under 30lbs. Talk to the shop owner...you want a good bicycle that weighs around 25lbs or less.

Good bicycling shorts will have the leather stitched in. The leather "pad" provides quite a nice ride. You may also want to check in to an aftermarket gel seat. Just tell the bike shop you need the most comfortable gel seat that they can get you and you will be set.

Riding a bicycle for 10 minutes is no problem. Hard rubber and hard leather seats are a pain for more than 10 minutes! Don't bother....the extra weight in a comfortable gel seat will be worth the money.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I do not know how many lbs you weigh, but this will determine the tire size. A 150lb guy is going to be able to run a very narrow - very fast tire. A guy who weighs 175lbs who wants to carry a 25lb backpack has to go with wider - more meaty - and tires that have more drag.

Let the salesman know what your plans are.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:04 pm
I want something efficient and fast
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:58 pm
If you are fine with a steel frame, Surly has a good selection as well. They and salsa are both owned by the same group I believe.
Surlys are great. Also Bianchi makes excellent road bikes.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:04 pm
I am 50 years old and I have zero experience with road bikes but I do pretty hardcore endurance training daily and between that and the thousands of miles a year on the kayak I don’t see this being an unrealistic endeavor. If I enjoy it, I will be all in.
Sounds like you're in a prime position to jump right into cycling. Expect to be a slug at the beginning, but with your pre-existing fitness and experience, you could be a strong rider in no time.

I'm not a bad mountain bike rider, and think some of my thoughts would cross over and be relevant. I see the appeal of road riding, but I'm in Mountain Bike Mecca, so that's what I do. My first thought is definitely go for the road bike. A gravel bike would be great if you want to ride gravel, and it would even suffice on the road. But the first time you ride a real road bike, or ride with someone else who is on a road bike, you'll realize how much you're giving up. Riding a "compromise" will sooner or later turn to regret, and a desire to spend money on the bike you REALLY want. If you're concerned about comfort, you might find that a century on properly fitted road bike leaves you feeling much better than a fraction of that distance on another bike. Are there any shops that will let you demo a bike for a day?

Other considerations might be a matter of budget. In my mind, carbon is a must. I've broken a LOT of aluminum parts. The only carbon I've cracked are some wheels that were the result of improper maintenance. Get the carbon if you can.

Of the models you mentioned, I'd lean toward the Giant Defy. Giant doesn't carry the panache of a boutique brand, but they ARE the eight-hundred pound gorilla. They build an excellent product in such great volume that they can offer lower prices. Their dealer network (at least in the U.S.) is so widespread that getting parts, service, or warranty repairs is easy.

Specialized used to be the big dog, but they used a lot of proprietary parts and purposely imploded their vast dealer network, making parts and service a difficult proposition, even here in Socal. I understand they're better now, but I hold a grudge. If you have a solid dealer close-by, they might be worth a look.

The Cannondale Synapse is my second choice. That bike is offered in a lot of different variations. Great product, solid company.

You mentioned your sit bones. Saddles come in different widths. Seriously. You must have a saddle to match your butt. I think I'm running 143mm right now. Don't be lured into any of those cushioned beginner saddles. They'll just create rubbing that will make you very sad. Gel or love-groove cutouts are there to protect your manliness. And Vivi was correct. You'll need to buy clothes to make you look like a Metro Leprechaun. People may point and laugh, but just yell "Sticks and Stones!" at them. Besides protecting your back side, proper riding shorts will keep... other things... under control. They'll be made of lycra and other synthetic materials that will add a layer of cushion, prevent chaffing, wick away moisture, and get rid of heat. Clipless pedals are a must. And you're a grown up, so I don't need to mention this, but kids might be reading: get a good, modern helmet.

Be sure to post some pictures when you get your bike. I want to see what Costa Rica road biking is all about.
Last edited by RustyIron on Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:11 pm
I do not know how many lbs you weigh, but this will determine the tire size. A 150lb guy is going to be able to run a very narrow - very fast tire. A guy who weighs 175lbs who wants to carry a 25lb backpack has to go with wider - more meaty - and tires that have more drag.

Let the salesman know what your plans are.
This is good advice. The more loaded your bike, the more spokes you want as well. A lot of higher end road bike wheels have very few spokes, these are meant for lighter riders on unloaded bikes.

FWIW I've ridden 25mm tires as a 200-220lb rider with up to 20lbs of luggage with no issues, though pretty much anyone would suggest I ride 28mm or wider.

The suggestion for fingerless gloves is good too.

Another thing to consider are your pedals. Most road bikes come with none. Most road bikers use clipless pedals and shoes. I don't. I tried them and felt the cons outweighed the pros, so I put mountain bike pedals on my Emonda like a goof. If you're going to use regular pedals, you'll want shoes with a stiff sole for better power transfer. My Altra running shoes are thick foam cushions and don't work nearly as well as my Adidas Terrex trail runners.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hi Lance,

I may add my 2c here.

First on my background when it comes to biking: Spent a LOT of time on bicycles (as a matter of fact I got my driving license when I was over 30 already, before that I went everywhere on bike if possible); Professional bike courier for like two years (30 hours per week, though that was in the 90ies admittedly); and a lot of mountain biking in the past (don´t know the miles per year, but the vertical distance per year was over 300 k vertical feet)
Never had a (road) racing bike though and am done with riding a bike as a sport, but still have around 5 hours / week on my bike in commuting.

- Sure get a nice, light, "professional" bike, but don´t let you talk into getting too professional gears / speeds on it !!!- I mean NOT too hard gears. Some people seem to think it is cool or tough or whatever when they get a bike with gears that are meant for races and 20 year old race bike pros... ;)
But imho, especially but not only if you want to go uphill too, at the age of 50 and for non professional use it is a good idea to still have some rather light and easy "gears" / "speed" (don´t know the correct english term). Too hard gears means you have to go to your limits too often when going uphill, not being able to keep a nice, relaxed pace and risking your health and actually RUINING your endurance level over time.

- I am in the "bony bottom" club too ;) and can´t second enough that you should get a padded lycra bike shorts!
That is even more important on a roadbike than on a mountainbike, since on the former you normally spend more time sitting generally (less standing up) and also sitting in just one position.
If you don´t like the looks of lycra bike shorts (and who does, honestly?) you maybe can wear a light, regular short over it?

- I also am a big fan of clip pedals and dedicated bike shoes with clips (in biking as a SPORT, not "just" commuting). Imho this setup leads to using more muscle groups in your legs (since you can also PULL the pedal when moving a leg up), is overall healthier for muscles and joints and makes for a more "rounded", complete motion. Also safer imho as soon as you get used to it, since you can´t slip of the pedal (more important in mountainbiking though)

- And you said it already: Go for a more relaxed, upright position! As a non racer / non pro you don´t have too go for the few seconds per 100 km a lower position would bring you, but your back and neck will appreciate the more upright position (to some level also your "groin area") and you´ll see more of the I am sure beautifull Costa Rican landscape! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I want a new bicycle myself. I've decided to get a Mountain Bike for several reasons. I have a lot of trails here locally I can ride on which have somewhat bumpy surfaces. Also we have a few really steep hills here in our area and having those extremely low gears make it a bit easier to climb them.

My days of racing bikes and competing in Triathalons are way behind me :o . But I still like the idea of gasoline free transportation and trekking through wild areas.
benben

Post by benben »

Always hard to recommend a bicycle to someone else, people have so many different needs & wants! I'm 55 now, if I were looking for a road / gravel / adventure bike, I'd be looking for a slack head angle steel framed setup from Salsa, Jamis, or Bianchi. I'd probably still opt for flat riser bars but I still ride mountain bikes, for your needs (100k a week) you'd probably want drop bars?

My next mountain bike will be a slack steel hardtail. Just wonder if a steel frame would be an issue in your tropical climate?

Here's a steel Salsa Fargo, don't know if this is too burly / slack for your needs? Pretty slack head angle for a road bike!
https://salsacycles.com/bikes/fargo/2020_fargo_apex_1
benben

Post by benben »

Here's a steel Niner RLT.......of course I may be wayyy off base as to what you really need!
https://ninerbikes.com/products/rlt-9-steel

I just know some 50 year old bones will really appreciate the compliant ride of steel.
vivi

Post by vivi »

There's also Titanium bikes from companies like Litespeed. I've always wanted to try one.
benben

Post by benben »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:29 am
There's also Titanium bikes from companies like Litespeed. I've always wanted to try one.
Yep, great ride also, but like carbon, they come with a nice price tag! HEY VIVI, great to see you man!!