Anyone else Aeropress coffee?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ChrisinHove

Re: Anyone else Aeropress coffee?

Post by ChrisinHove »

Bikepacker_FIN wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:23 am
.... The effect is significant with french press, turkish and scandinavian-type boiled coffee ...
How about Espresso? Or is the amount of cholesterol release directly related to stew/steep times?

Fascinating insights from yourself and MikeBlue - thank you for posting.

I guess worrying about cholesterol in coffee is pointless if you haven’t had your own blood cholesterol levels checked.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Coffee

black, hot, bitter coffee

my life long companion

weak and bubbling left in the Pyrex pot

renewed all day and into the night

always there

heavy, white cafe mugs

cream and sugar

tobacco and endless talk

about nothing now remembered

~

the Black Brick

a garage made into a black light coffee house

chess boards, abstract oils hanging

jazz, heady espressos

~

two-gallon coffee pot lashed to the bulkhead

pegboard full of hanging plastic mugs

dispensing foul, thick long brewed coffee

to the mid watch

~

café solo served with bare cubes of rough brown sugar

or maybe cut with a touch of local milk

Celtas, a foreign tobacco

it’s aroma mixing with that of the coffee

forever a part of Spain

~

the sun was rising

i was ten years old

“your dad likes coffee. i suppose you do too,” my grandfather said

dumping a handful of cheap coffee

into a boiling beat up pot on the stove

later i was to have worse

but remember them less

~

now i use good coffee from brown bags

carefully filtered into a favorite mug

i drink it pure in the mornings

while i write about the things

that come to me

9/18 LV

COPYRIGHT MICHAEL DOUGLAS SCOTT
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

Very Good Mr. Scott!
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

duplicate
Last edited by Mike Blue on Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:13 am
Bikepacker_FIN wrote:
.... The effect is significant with french press, turkish and scandinavian-type boiled coffee ...
How about Espresso? Or is the amount of cholesterol release directly related to stew/steep times?
I think of Espresso as coffee exposed to hot water over minimum time. It does not pass through a paper filter. In an ideal world there is a balance between brew time and flavor and that's where this becomes subjective not really scientific. Taste buds vary.

But the science says that you can filter out two of the products using paper. Those two stimulate the elevation of serum cholesterols and then by medical presumption increase your risk of cardiovascular disease. There are contrary theories of how cholesterol is dangerous or not too. And coffee afi's who believe that removing elements of coffee affect the flavor etc.
...I guess worrying about cholesterol in coffee is pointless if you haven’t had your own blood cholesterol levels checked.
There is an old rule in medicine: If you don't want to find a fever, don't take a temperature.
The corollary rule is: the more you find the more you have to do.
Bikepacker_FIN

Post by Bikepacker_FIN »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:13 am
Bikepacker_FIN wrote:

Fascinating insights from yourself and MikeBlue - thank you for posting.

I guess worrying about cholesterol in coffee is pointless if you haven’t had your own blood cholesterol levels checked.
Thanks! I went kind of off-topic from an already 'off-topic' subject :rolleyes: Espresso seems to have about half the amount of cholesterol-raising diterpenes of unfiltered coffee. With serving sizes usually being small it's not the worst type of coffee. When it comes to heart disease risk, one can make some infrences from family history, but statistically speaking everyone is at high risk, heart disease being the number 1 killer globally. But good point, I would also rather check my lipid panel and then make lifestyle adjustments if necessary, than worry :)

And Aeropress is great, been using it daily for half a year. I use it home as well as when travelling or hiking. It's portable, simple, rugged, inexpensive and versatile in terms of different types of coffee it can make. :)
Military, PM2, Manix 2 DLC, Techno & Chaparral FRN
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

As an additional point of view: James Hoffman on Youtube shows a method of testing the filter paper. He steeps a filter in typically hot water for coffee or tea and lets it stand for a few minutes. Then he tastes the water to identify the flavors added to coffee or tea by the filter itself. The vid I watched was for v60 filters. Ostensibly for the Hario but three different manufacturers. This might be something to add to your own testing rituals. Although by 80 uses I imagine any "paper" flavor would be long gone. LOL
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Well, I had bin my Aeropress today. I’ve had it for a long time, used it consistently and for some reason put it away in the cupboard. We have been using a Hario in the meantime. Over the last week I have cleaned, re-cleaned and used my aeropress consistently, cleaning between each use. However it appears that the years have left a rancid old nasty coffee smell which permeates my coffee. Unacceptable. So I said goodbye this morning and held the trash ceremony so it’s back to Hario. I may invest in another aeropress but I really don’t need one.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:41 pm
Well, I had bin my Aeropress today. I’ve had it for a long time, used it consistently and for some reason put it away in the cupboard. We have been using a Hario in the meantime. Over the last week I have cleaned, re-cleaned and used my aeropress consistently, cleaning between each use. However it appears that the years have left a rancid old nasty coffee smell which permeates my coffee. Unacceptable. So I said goodbye this morning and held the trash ceremony so it’s back to Hario. I may invest in another aeropress but I really don’t need one.
I guess that’s one of the big disadvantages of plastics in food-ware.

What’s your V60 made of? I assume the lack of steep time in a pourer will reduce this effect significantly, though.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Ceramic. No cleaning issues.

Team Innovation
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Well, it’s Friday 7pm and I have just Aeropressed chilled vodka through some decaf.

I’ll let you know how it goes ....
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

Aha, the coffee cocktail. More data points for this chemistry experiment would be helpful. Your lab is as good as any.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

As went the old saying,

“One wasn’t enough, two were too many, and three were too few....”

In truth, the window of opportunity for any objective analysis was quite narrow, but it was useful to lean out of.