Anyone else Aeropress coffee?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ChrisinHove

Anyone else Aeropress coffee?

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’ve just picked up the U.S.A made Aeropress coffee maker.

It looks like our France camping trip will involve more down-time than usual this year for some reason, :rolleyes: and this looked ideal...

Wow!

It really does make superb coffee in super quick time and is *really* easy to clean. All the grounds end up in the bin, too. I am very, very impressed.

It might be one the cheapest of my coffee makers, but it is certainly one of the best. Highly recommended.

https://aeropress.com/why-aeropress/
MichaelScott

Re: Anyone else Aeropress coffee?

Post by MichaelScott »

Have one. Great coffee maker. Also use a Hario, Japanese, cone system. Simple and makes more than one cup.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I don't do it, but I have had it and it is pretty good. These days I am too lazy.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I have the standard French presses. Always on the lookout for a new coffee maker! ☕
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

I recommend buying the metal filter when you can. It eliminates paper waste.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Mike Blue wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:29 am
Trees are a big renewable resource. Metal is expensive and difficult to clean properly. Untreated paper filters are the best.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:12 am
Have one. Great coffee maker. Also use a Hario, Japanese, cone system. Simple and makes more than one cup.
I have the Kalita Wave. Similar principle but allegedly a little less sensitive to technique (yes, I do watch too many reviews) but a bit of a ritual.

The Aeropress coffee is a cleaner flavour and a clearer brew.

Have you seen the Hario Air kettle? It’s the new cheap version of the hipster goose neck for precise control when making pourover.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I have read many great things about the Aeropress. I suppose I will have to try one someday.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:30 am
....Trees are a big renewable resource. Metal is expensive and difficult to clean properly. Untreated paper filters are the best.
Paper filters soak up some of the coffee oils equalling less flavor and caffeine. I've never had any problem cleaning a metal filter especially the one built for the Aeropress. Maybe we're talking about different things?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:29 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:12 am
I have the Kalita Wave. Similar principle but allegedly a little less sensitive to technique (yes, I do watch too many reviews) but a bit of a ritual.

The Aeropress coffee is a cleaner flavour and a clearer brew.

Have you seen the Hario Air kettle? It’s the new cheap version of the hipster goose neck for precise control when making pourover.
Not until now. I looked it up. Way cool. Can’t find it for sale even on Amazon.

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Mike Blue wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:24 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:30 am
....Trees are a big renewable resource. Metal is expensive and difficult to clean properly. Untreated paper filters are the best.
Paper filters soak up some of the coffee oils equalling less flavor and caffeine. I've never had any problem cleaning a metal filter especially the one built for the Aeropress. Maybe we're talking about different things?
Hummm… hadn’t considered that. Thanks! Thanks

Team Innovation
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not yet, but it looked interesting so I ordered one. Should be here Tuesday. Will see how it compares to my current method of placing a paper filter and coffee in the basket from a 4 cup coffeemaker, setting it on top of a 16 oz mug, and slowly pouring boiling water over it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Mike Blue wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:29 am
Do you use the Aeropress inverted with the metal filter?

The Aeropress (well, coffee generally) is as big an internet rabbit hole as knives!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Used one for a few years. Should still be around here somewhere. Think I will revise it.

Team Innovation
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

At home I use a mocha pot or my Nespresso machine but I got myself an Aeropress when I was traveling a lot - indestructible and much better than the sachets of instant at hotels. Easier to empty and clean and “cleaner” coffee than a French press. I use mine upside down and let the coffee brew before pressing.

If I leave the house for longer than one night, it goes in my bag. It’s also nice to have “my” blend of coffee when traveling. They really are worth the money.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:35 am
... Do you use the Aeropress inverted with the metal filter?

The Aeropress (well, coffee generally) is as big an internet rabbit hole as knives!
Chris. I learned about the Aeropress from some of your UK colleagues on a trip there in the early 2000's. I bought my first AP shortly thereafter. In fact, I do allow the coffee to brew a bit inverted. I don't see myself as a coffee Afi, the paper filters leak a little when brewing according to the instructions. Inverted, all the coffee takes time together before the actual press. I have the thin wafer metal filter. One of the early ones. It still serves well. I made my first metal filter of ultra fine metal screen. I could never refine the edges and eventually that attempt wore out the locking ring.

I keep one AP at work (way better than little plastic cups, less waste, my own mess to clean up after) for quick shots on break. One in my backcountry gear. Why would I leave home on my moto without one? There is a spare in my kitchen too.

Why am I not surprised that fellow travelers of many different paths would find others who like coffee that's above average on a Spyderco site?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I most definitely want to try one of these "Aeropress" units. Anything in the line of "coffee" always gets my attention. Not trying to get off the subject but another "coffee" related item that seems to be taking off in the past year or so are those coffee "pour over" devices. I was just given one of the Melitta pour over devices and it worked all right. But it is made of polycarbonate and I would rather have a pour over device made of either stainless or ceramic.

So I'm wondering if this Aeropress company might make those pour over devices? Or maybe one of you guys might know of a really good quality pour over coffee making devices?
araneae

Post by araneae »

I have too many coffee makers (french press, nespresso machine, regular espresso machine, bonavita drip coffee maker, percolator, Hario pour over), but I have almost bought the AP several times. Might have to bite the bullet and snag one.

Melitta makes a ceramic version of their pourover cone JD.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:57 pm
I most definitely want to try one of these "Aeropress" units. Anything in the line of "coffee" always gets my attention. Not trying to get off the subject but another "coffee" related item that seems to be taking off in the past year or so are those coffee "pour over" devices. I was just given one of the Melitta pour over devices and it worked all right. But it is made of polycarbonate and I would rather have a pour over device made of either stainless or ceramic.

So I'm wondering if this Aeropress company might make those pour over devices? Or maybe one of you guys might know of a really good quality pour over coffee making devices?
Hario v60 come in glass and ceramic, Kalita in stainless, Chemex in glass. I think these are the other main players.

If you believe the YT experts (and some clearly *are* experts) considerable precision of quantity and technique is required to get the very best out of the v60 and Chemex in particular. Think weigh scales, timers, goose neck kettle ...

I bought the Kalita about 6 months ago, largely because it was reputed to be easier to get good results - and it certainly does make excellent coffee. I haven’t tested it back to back with the Aeropress, yet. I do know already that my one-cup Kalita is quicker to set up than the AP but slower to brew, and less versatile in terms of brew strength and quantity.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

PSquared wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:41 am
At home I use a mocha pot...
I'm also a Moka Pot user. I guess I'm old school, but it works for me. :)