Anybody still use CASH?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mako109

Anybody still use CASH?

Post by Mako109 »

I've had the same $115 in bills in my wallet for more than two years, and I never carry coins. Everywhere I go I simply wave my card, wave my mobile phone or pay by app. The vendors at my favorite farmer's markets use card readers on their mobile devices. The parking meters and garages all accept payment by app. I even walked up to a crab fishing boat and paid for ten live dungeness crab via an app.

And now I'm realizing I rarely use my cards either. Just my phone.
Ankerson

Re: Anybody still use CASH?

Post by Ankerson »

Yes, for gas and it's good to carry cash just incase the stores network goes down etc.

A lot of the stores here still don't have Apple Pay etc... In NC they have been VERY slow to advance in a lot of things... Usually 5 to 10 years behind everyone else.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I average about $400 from the atm every month, so yeah, I use about $100 cash every week.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yup, I love cash. Our card culture is just making the banks rich. Why should they be getting a 1-2% cut of all of our spending? Are we that lazy?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

About the only time I use cash is when I return bottles/cans, and then use that cash for more liquids encased in bottles/cans :cool:

Other than that, I'm not a cash person. I have $8 on me right now, I've had it for a couple weeks.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:27 pm
Yup, I love cash. Our card culture is just making the banks rich. Why should they be getting a 1-2% cut of all of our spending? Are we that lazy?
I like using my Discover card for everything, cash back bonus!! I pay off my card debt every month, and normally accumulate around $25-30 in cash back bonus each month. I usually wait a couple months and then knock off around $100 or so off my monthly bill.

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yes I use cash all the time. and I hope they never put us on a cashless society. That will ruin all kinds of businesses and put the average person way behind the 8 ball IMO. When I do trades and sales with friends I always use straight cash. The only problem I've got is that it seems like the American Dollar loses it's purchasing power each passing day. The big problem with our money system is that monster they call the Federal Reserve ( which is not a government institution by the way). I quit using credit cards except in extreme cases> I've found debit cards work good for me in many trades.

I'd like to know more about "Bit Coin" and other Crypto-Currencies. I do think the Crypto-currencies might even end up stimulating our economy.
James Y

Post by James Y »

When I go shopping, it’s always with cash. Even at the places with self-checkout. The only times I use my credit card are when it’s required, like online shopping, which I don’t do very much of. Or when I renew my professional licensing annually, it must be done online by credit card. I never use the card at the store.

Jim
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I use cash.
Josh
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One big advantage I like about using cash is that it is safer in some instances. Like when I got out to eat at any nice restaurant I always use cash because many restaurant servers are bad at ripping off credit cards with additional charges. I've had two personal friends that found that out the hard way. Also there are still some businesses and services that still give cash discounts.

If I knew more about these new Crypto-currencies like BitCoin I would use them as well. But I'll admit that I know very little about them. But I do think that they hold a lot of potential in the future from what I have heard about them. I've also heard that some of the crypto-currencies are good internationally as well.
James Y

Post by James Y »

One thing I’ve noticed is that, besides being safer, paying with cash at the checkout line is faster, too. I always see people fumbling with their credit cards, or having to do it again and again until the payment finally goes through.

Jim
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Cash back bonus with credit cards = free money for you

I'll take that everyday :)

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:30 pm

Yep, and if you never carry a balance, you never get charged interest. Cashback and fraud protection, win-win! I can't remember the last time I used cash.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:36 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Yep, and if you never carry a balance, you never get charged interest. Cashback and fraud protection, win-win! I can't remember the last time I used cash.
It's like buying a knife from KnifeCenter or DLT instead of BHQ...you can buy the same exact knife, but you get rewards points from the other 2 and nothing from BHQ. No brainer to me!

Sometimes people are set in their ways from the past though, which I understand. Heck, my mother still pays all her bills and buys stamps and sends them through the mail when she can easily pay them online instantly at no charge haha.

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:36 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

While I am mostly cash I do get 3% back on gas with my bankamericard and I use it exclusively as my gas card and pay the whole balance off every month. .

I live very rural so we are forced to do a lot of online shopping which means I do use a card a lot. Other than that I try to stick with cash when shopping in person. I always tip with cash.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

I use cash for many reasons.

1) Maybe 10 years or more when gas pumps started using debit cards. I had my debit card compromised at the gas station. Well the Bank froze my account for two weeks while they investigated! Having 0 money for two weeks really sucked, and I ended up having to borrow money from my family. It was kinda embarrassing.

2) Ive learned that physically seeing my cash get depleted has helped me control my impulse spending. Id buy little bits of stuff here and there before and wonder where the money went.

3) I collect things like vintage bikes and cash is king. I don't know how many times I have bought stuff at garage sales etc where they only take cash. Plus it's a great bargaining tool. "You're asking $80? well I only have $60 cash on me" 9/10 times that trick works.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Yes, but not nearly as frequently as I used to. There are certain occasions where cash works the best, so I usually always keep some on me for odds and ends.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Yep. For most things. My wife and I have just one credit card we use for gas and online purchases. Everything else is either cash or cheque.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

cbrstar wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:54 pm
I use cash for many reasons.

1) Maybe 10 years or more when gas pumps started using debit cards. I had my debit card compromised at the gas station. Well the Bank froze my account for two weeks while they investigated! Having 0 money for two weeks really sucked, and I ended up having to borrow money from my family. It was kinda embarrassing.

2) Ive learned that physically seeing my cash get depleted has helped me control my impulse spending. Id buy little bits of stuff here and there before and wonder where the money went.

3) I collect things like vintage bikes and cash is king. I don't know how many times I have bought stuff at garage sales etc where they only take cash. Plus it's a great bargaining tool. "You're asking $80? well I only have $60 cash on me" 9/10 times that trick works.

Had the same thing happen to me at a gas station, the bank locked it all down, changed my acct number and everything. Got new cards and checks.... It really sucks when that happens...
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I shopped at an Amazon Go store in early March (just before local SIT orders were issued). Walk in, help yourself to what you want and leave. When you're done, a receipt is emailed to you before you make it out the door. It doesn't miss a thing, not even just one cookie from the bakery. You take it out of the bin or shelf and put it in your basket, and it knows. If you change your mind and put it back, it knows. No barcodes involved. I felt like a shoplifter. It's magic.